homepage

X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released

Posted By: arneh

X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 03:46 PM

As a X-mas gift, EECH 1.11 and the Mi-24 cockpit has been released!

Our very own SimHQ has done a review of it here, and also has links to the downloads.

A video showing it can be seen here:

Cockpit:

Terrain textures:

Changelog for EECH 1.11:
Cockpit/avionics changes
  • Added support for new Mi-24V 3D cockpit
  • Added new in-cockpit 'paper map' for Mi-24
  • Made new HUD sight and backup sight for Mi-24 (use O to switch between main and backup sight)
  • Added EO view for Mi-24, to simulate co-pilot using the sight. Enable with PgDn key.
  • Fixed bug in Comanche's engine MFD page (bars were too short)
  • Fixed bug in Ka-52's EO display when used with mouse. The movement rates were not adjusted for zoom
  • Fixed bug where next/prev target command didn't work in Mi-24 and Mi-28
  • Fixed bug where laser would not activate itself in automatic radar/laser mode
  • Added easter egg to Mi-24 cockpit

Flight model changes
  • Adjusted flight model for Mi-24. It gives feeling of more weight and inertia. Enable by setting flight_model=2 in eech.ini
  • Added suspension modelling. Only animated in external view for Mi-24, but physics modelling is included for all main helicopters. Enable by setting flight_model=2 in eech.ini
  • Adjusted start-up procedure for Mi-24 - timing, throttle response etc.
  • Rotor brake must be off for engine to start
  • Only one engine can be started at a time
  • Enabled adjustment of governor RPM for Mi-24V between 70% and 97%. Use ALT + , and . to adjust.
  • Adjusted power, weights, and fuel quantities to more real values
  • Adjustment to trim function. It will now keep current cyclic/pedal values while trim button is held. This can be used to move cyclic/pedals to centre with button held to avoid sudden control input when centre position is moved.

Weapon changes
  • Changed weapons to use the rate of fire specified in used gwut file
  • Added weight to Hind-specific weapons (YakB nose gun, Shturm missiles, S-5 rockets). They previously had no weight.
  • Added capability for Mi-24 to carry UPK-23 gun pods (on two inner most pylons), and Sthurm missiles also on outer wing pylons in addition to wingtips
  • Mi-24 now has just three rocket salvo settings. Short (2 rockets), medium (4 rockets) and large (10 rockets)
  • Fixed bug where only one gun sound would be used even if several kind of guns were carried
  • Added Mi-24's weapons to pilot log statistics

Other changes
  • Added support for noisemaps for terrain. Increases terrain texture detail. Enable with texture_colour=2 in eech.ini. Requires noisemap files to be installed
    EECH now supports custon scenes (created with Firebird's tool) in addition to custom 3D objects
  • Enabled Mi-24V for free flight missions
    mfdexport with color conversion, works now with 32 bit colordepth too(by mue)
  • Adjustment to AI flight model for a slightly more real look
  • Added option for disabling text messages (radio message, pause/time acceleration, camera type etc.). disable_text_messages=1 in eech.ini to enable

Link to explanation of Mi-24 instruments. Video showing Mi-24 start-up procedure.

New key commands for Mi-24:
Ctrl+Y fan on/off
Alt+C cockpit door open/close
Alt+D cabin door open/close
F3 HUD view
F4 Moving map view
Ctrl + F3/F4 change detail level (actually also works for Comanche and Ka-52). Doesn't seem to make much difference in frame rate on my PC, but I've removed a lot of details in the low detail mode so that it should be playable on old PCs.
Ctrl+K turns on/off lots of stuff (electrical system, instruments, hydraulic system etc)
O changes HUD to back-up sight
Alt + ./, increase/decrease governor RPM (rotor RPM)

Note that some of the changes require use of the new gwut1110.wut file. So be sure to change your eech.ini file to use it.
Downloads for upgrading:
EECH 1.11
Cockpits and terrain textures

Complete mods package for clean EECH install:
allMods-1.11

Enjoy, and merry X-Mas smile
Posted By: citizen guod

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 03:51 PM

Thanks arneh! thumbsup
Posted By: goon

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 04:17 PM

Congratulations on the release of the latest part of your project Arneh. It looks superb.
Posted By: GlynD

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 04:48 PM

Arneh

Thank you very, very much for this early present! Have a super Christmas and best wishes for the New Year...

Cheers
Posted By: Hartford688

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 04:56 PM

Arneh

Looks absolutely brilliant. Thanks for all the hard work!
Posted By: Gr.Viper

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 05:17 PM

CT cheers
Posted By: Chamot

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 05:17 PM

*rips radeon 4870 out, stomps on it continuously, starts crying, slashes wrists*

This was my most anticipated flight sim related release this year and now I can't play it because of a graphics card upgrade. frown

Anyway, congrats Arneh; it looks amazing. You've extended the life of this sim beyond the expectations of anyone - including, unfortunately, video card companies.
Posted By: SimFan

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 05:32 PM

!!!!!! THANK YOU !!!!! And a Merry X-Mas to all of you.

Posted By: ukSleek

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 05:36 PM

Superb!!!

Merry Xmas to you all!
Posted By: pilot111

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 05:40 PM

I am at work now but later .... yes baby!!
I am so excited right now!! Thank you arneh!! thumbsup
Posted By: hendrack

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Chamot-Erd
*rips radeon 4870 out, stomps on it continuously, starts crying, slashes wrists*

This was my most anticipated flight sim related release this year and now I can't play it because of a graphics card upgrade. frown

Anyway, congrats Arneh; it looks amazing. You've extended the life of this sim beyond the expectations of anyone - including, unfortunately, video card companies.

Join the club frown

Great job arneh
Posted By: Stratos

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 05:56 PM

Can't wait to try, amazing Work Arneh!! Really apreciatted
Posted By: Colonel_Kurtz

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 07:21 PM

Nice going ARNEH, we appreciate all your efforts. Look forward to trying this out over the Xmas break.

Merry Christmas to all smile
Posted By: Mapi

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 07:35 PM

CT crew..THX!
Posted By: Hartford688

Hmmm.

Santa from Lapland.

Arneh from Norway.

Both Scandanavia.

Coincidence? I think not.

reading

Got 1.11 installed (upgrade to 1.10.2) without any problem.
GREAT job, incredible x-mas gift !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've got a couple of observations though ...
- eech.ini: in the 'readme' at install time it says to set 'texture_filtering=2', however in the
'eech.ini' file itself it is written to put 'texture_colour=2'. I set both to '2' and it works, but should it be both ?
- I got, for the first time, an abend with 1.11 stating 'terrain elevation off map' and CTD (desert terrain-campaign). I'll try to reproduce (hoping I can't).
- External view of Hind: no zoom-in/-out, but that is most probably due to the model itself.

Arneh ... you really outdid yourself (again) ! ... 1.11 Hind sure is in-cre-di-ble ! thumbsup beercheers jawdrop
Posted By: DeVoo

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 07:50 PM

thanks arneh!
Saw your post at ED forum.
It was a good day today after all!
It's 11 pm where I live =)

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: SimFan
- eech.ini: in the 'readme' at install time it says to set 'texture_filtering=2', however in the 'eech.ini' file itself it is written to put 'texture_colour=2'. I set both to '2' and it works, but should it be both ?

It should be just texture_colour, so readme is wrong. Not that it does any harm to set filtering to 2 too, but colour is the one which needs to be 2.

Quote:
External view of Hind: no zoom-in/-out, but that is most probably due to the model itself.

Alt + , and . are used for engine governor now, so if you use those keys for moving then that won't work. But mouse wheel should still work. And if you mean actual zoom, and not just moving view distance, then ALT + F3/F4 should work for that.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 08:26 PM

"Alt + , and . are used for engine governor now" Sorry, forgot about the new Hind key commands.
"Zooming issue" is a non-issue.
The new "Arneh flight model" setting is meant to be used for the Hind only ??? and re-set for the other choppers ?
Setting it for e.g. the AH64D gets me killed (less forgiving) on occasion (drives me "into the ground")... but oh well as they say ... "It's a good day to die" smile
Thanks.
Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 08:37 PM

arneh.. Thanks for this great gift. santa reindeer santa CT

I specially like the way AI choppers now don't turn on a dime... It actually looks like there is some inertia at work there now. Excellent immersion detail that was sorely needed.

Cheers to you, arneh!!

loaded-santa

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 08:46 PM

The new "Arneh flight model" setting is meant to be used for the Hind only ??? and re-set for the other choppers ?

You should use it for all helicopters you want to have new suspension modelling smile

Quote:
Setting it for e.g. the AH64D gets me killed (less forgiving) on occasion (drives me "into the ground")...

That's not supposed to happen...
Posted By: Heretic

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 08:51 PM

Thank you, Arneh!

*Downloads*

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 08:52 PM

Each time I want to take-off I get a "wobbling" effect. Like your chopper is on a roller coaster. The ground itself 'moves'. I am not joking (this time). There is something wrong (at least with my eech.ini settings).
When the mission starts it is as if the chopper (comanche) is lifted from below the soil (just for a split second). Strange.
In external view everything keeps moving/hovering up and down ?
If I set flight_model= 0 or 1 the problem disappears. BTW I was flying the comanche while this occurs.
I also now get brief white flashes occasionally (never saw those on this PC with 1.10.2).
Must be one of my settings.
But now with these new textures the envirionment looks so more true-to-life ... has to be seen to be believed !
Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 09:00 PM

I got a question for arneh. It is kind of a spoiler... so

Click to reveal..
How do I get Nikita's photo to appear by the Map Panel thingie?

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 09:22 PM

Each time I want to take-off I get a "wobbling" effect. Like your chopper is on a roller coaster. The ground itself 'moves'. I am not joking (this time). There is something wrong (at least with my eech.ini settings).
When the mission starts it is as if the chopper (comanche) is lifted from below the soil (just for a split second).

That would be the suspension modelling. Though it hasn't been tested much in other helicopters than the Mi-24, it was sort of a last minute addition to the other helicopters. So if it causes trouble use flight_model=0 for the other helicopters. Or you could try to tweak the suspension settings in common\data\dyn\rah-66-suspension.txt

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Bib4Tuna
I got a question for arneh. It is kind of a spoiler... so

Click to reveal..
How do I get Nikita's photo to appear by the Map Panel thingie?

That's for you to find out :p

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 09:58 PM

"you could try to tweak the suspension settings in common\data\dyn\rah-66-suspension.txt"
OK ... that might be a solution.
Sorry to have brought this up...
It's not that I try to find something and it's a given that everything has been focused on the new wonderfull Hind MI-24V variant 3D pit ... I love it !
Moreover ... EECH now gives an ebven better sense of speed and being there with the new textures and ABOVE ALL ... the game is still an example of good coding ... I run with everything maxed out @1600x1200 on a rather slow (amd64+GF6800GT) computer. EECH2-DO brings this PC to its knees, but Arneh's incarnation of EECH1-v1.11 exploits the same PC to the fullest potential for an incredible experience !
Posted By: Eugene

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 10:28 PM

Thanks for all your superb work, Arneh! Now I have to reinstall EECH all over again. Too much here to pass up.
Posted By: The Elf

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 10:42 PM

Great Work as always....
BTW where can I find the new WUT file ?
Merry Christmas, Happy new year !!!!

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: The Elf
BTW where can I find the new WUT file ?

WUT file is included (with allMods and eechsetup).
Posted By: Floydii

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/22/08 10:47 PM

Marvellous work Arneh. Now if the bloody graphics card problem can be resolved, I'll be happy as a pig in mud!
Posted By: DKM

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/23/08 12:34 AM

Thanks, Arneh!
Posted By: The Nephilim

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/23/08 12:42 AM

Hey GREAT THNX Arneh.. wink

I just have 1 small problem, I installed the patch but now in game I get these white flashes on the screen every 5-10 seconds?? I may have to reinstall can we have an Install procedure??
Posted By: sinner6

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/23/08 01:42 AM

Thanks for all your hard work!
Posted By: Budds

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/23/08 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: The Nephilim

I just have 1 small problem, I installed the patch but now in game I get these white flashes on the screen every 5-10 seconds?? I may have to reinstall can we have an Install procedure??

Same here..........
Great Work Tho to be sure !!!!!!
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/23/08 04:58 AM

YOU... ROCK DUDE!

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile

I love it - and thank you! Especially for the ground texture upgrade and the fixed weapons firing rates - those two alone are amazing improvements. It feels like I'm flying finally, now that I am able to judge speed while low, next to the ground.

The Hind... well... I'm just O_O about that. Very, very impressive indeed.
Posted By: franx

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/23/08 05:43 AM

White flashes here too. Any idea why?
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/23/08 06:00 AM

Originally Posted By: franx
White flashes here too. Any idea why?

Crappy Nvidia drivers - PLEASE go HERE and join my campaign to get Nvidia to fix them!!!!!!!

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=6c5639766140e40be1341b8a9bfaeeb0&showtopic=74101

It is playable, but nowhere near like what the game was on my 7900 GTX. The 260 GTX runs it, but it could be better. frown
Posted By: LazerPotatoe

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/23/08 07:29 AM

Great Work Arneh! She's a beauty.

Thanks,
Posted By: NaiseFail

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/23/08 08:27 AM

Thank you for all of your time and work! =D

_____*
____^^^
___^^^^^
__^^^^^^^
_^^^^^^^^^
____#____
Posted By: Daveyraveygravey

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/23/08 11:31 AM

Wow, that looks fantastic, and a great video. I don't remember giving you permission to film my landings, the ones that start at around 3.18!!! copter

My only problem is I am now at work, when I get home I have to pack to go to the family for Xmas at 5 am tomorrow, so it will be at least Saturday before I can get my mitts on it!

Still, thanks again for all your efforts Arneh, and anyone else that helped.
Posted By: Craigmire

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/23/08 01:21 PM

I'm speechless. That is an incredible amount of work. Thanks a lot. The pictures look incredible. Looking forward to seeing the new textures in action. The new option for the default flight model is cool too. Now I can make a good comparison with the vectors and everything. thumbsup
Posted By: ukSleek

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/23/08 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: The Nephilim
I get these white flashes on the screen every 5-10 seconds??

Me too?..nvidia user as well.

EDIT: sorry should really post in the bug's thread wink

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/23/08 03:34 PM

"I get these white flashes on the screen every 5-10 seconds"
At first I thought someone was targetting me ... this is worse yet smile
Most probably has something to do with the enhanced textures and nvidia card drivers can't cope with it as it should. I bet you that Arneh tested on ATI cards.
Because ... I get those brief white flashes too: Nvidia 6800GT + 78.03 drivers.
F4:AF has had a problem for a long time with Nvidia drivers and FSAA.
Nvidia didn't solve it, LeadPursuit did (by circumventing the problem as far as I recall).
If you are waiting for nvidia to solve this ... you're in for a long wait.
Posted By: Brennus

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/23/08 06:07 PM

I know I don't post here often, but I would just like to say that you've done a fantastic job Arneh and co.! The Hind is excellent, and the video was very well done! You should definitely be proud of yourself for your accomplishments!
Posted By: dsawan

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/23/08 09:38 PM

Hi, does this work in the EE 2 series a well?
Posted By: Budds

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/24/08 02:36 AM

ATI X1950 Pro.... Old Drivers.....

just sayin.........
Posted By: Moezilla

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/24/08 11:44 AM

Thanks to all contributors to 1.11's release especially Arneh for his amazing work bringing the Hind to life.

Viva EECH!
Posted By: DeVoo

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/24/08 01:21 PM

When I installed 3 patches with 1.11 on updated version 1.10.2
there were some issues
you can look here
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2640353.html#Post2640353

I would recommend installing everything from scratch
clean EECH + allmods 1.11
Posted By: pilot111

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/24/08 02:40 PM

I congratulate all and especially arneh for his hard work, with this movie. I hope you like it. Arneh make this simulator ones again my favorit! Merry Christmas CT
Posted By: Alemart

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/24/08 05:17 PM

Thanks a SuperLot Arneh and Friends (:P), i upgraded to the new version without problems, i have activated all the new settings and the sim looks fantastic, i really love the new textures, and the suspension is just grand! :D, also, the new way the ai behaves is very nice too, however, there is any reason why the choppers and weapons in the new gwut do not reflect real life values in all cases?, i found missiles that in reality have semi active radar, or laser or laser beam riding guidance to have passive ir, also, some choppers that have twin rotors were set as having only one main rotor and a tail rotor, i chaged those values and tested it with no issues though.
Posted By: dfang

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/24/08 09:46 PM

Thank you Arn,,great contribution this is..
I appreciate your dedication to making EECH the Sim it is today.. yep
Posted By: Agamemnon_b5

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/24/08 11:36 PM

I still play Hind from 1995, but this is so far the closest thing to a new Hind simulator. The things people have done to keep EEAH/EECH flying high are amazing puts game developers to shame.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/25/08 12:19 AM

Yes, 1995 Hind was incredible concerning game-play and missions.
It also features troopers. Unique.
Arneh knew he was going to create yet a new must-have sim doing this.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/25/08 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Alemart
there is any reason why the choppers and weapons in the new gwut do not reflect real life values in all cases?, i found missiles that in reality have semi active radar, or laser or laser beam riding guidance to have passive ir, also, some choppers that have twin rotors were set as having only one main rotor and a tail rotor, i chaged those values and tested it with no issues though.

Which missiles and helicopters? I did change some missiles for the better, but there may have been others I've missed. If so it's probably been like that with all WUT-files since ages ago...

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/25/08 07:31 PM

I supossed something like that :P .
Well, some missiles that i do not remember right now had incorrect guidance systems, wrong burning time, wrong seeking angle and/or range or a mixture of the above, also, some choppers, like the ka-29 and the ch-46 (and others too) had wrong propeller diameter (or radius?), incorrect rotor configuration (like having a main and tail rotor instead two main rotors), wrong cruise speed and things like that, same for some other vehicles, now, i do not remember wich ones and what were the numbers, but it does not matters as i corrected all the info (from several books i have, plus wikipedia plus FAS plus other internet sources) and saved that on my own gwut (that i upgrade or rebuild every time you guys release a new version of the game).
I still have to triple check it to be sure that everithing is ok though, but i do not think i am going to find any other surprises :P .
Posted By: FireBird_[WINE]

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/25/08 10:18 PM

Nice New Year's present wink

The package contains some files of lower resolution that were used before. For example, GRAPHICS\TEXTURES\TERRAIN\CUBA\TERRAIN_DETAIL_LEBANON.dds is 262271 bytes but was 1Mb and it was a photo. Others are TERRAIN_SWAMP2.bmp, TERRAIN_TREE_CANOPY_LEBANON.bmp, TERRAIN_TREE_CANOPY_1.dds in different directories. Have I missed something and we renounced from those high res ones?

FireBird

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/25/08 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: FireBird_[WINE
]The package contains some files of lower resolution that were used before. For example, GRAPHICS\TEXTURES\TERRAIN\CUBA\TERRAIN_DETAIL_LEBANON.dds is 262271 bytes but was 1Mb and it was a photo. Others are TERRAIN_SWAMP2.bmp, TERRAIN_TREE_CANOPY_LEBANON.bmp, TERRAIN_TREE_CANOPY_1.dds in different directories. Have I missed something and we renounced from those high res ones?

The high res versions weren't needed, they looked about the same with lower resolution ones. So no use wasting texture memory on big textures if you can't see the difference smile And when using noisemaps it became much more detailed than it was, by far making up for the lower res base texture.

Most of those textures were used for small polygons like the side of the forests, and the sides of the road, so using so big texture for that was a waste, when the rest of the textures at that size cover much larger areas.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By: arneh
The high res versions weren't needed...

Understand about those three... But TERRAIN_DETAIL_LEBANON.dds was a photorealistic one, a new one is not. Maybe it's better to return it with future releases (patches)?

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 12:12 AM

You know (Arneh), i was thinking about something, even if i put real life values "on the paper" (or in this case, on the csv), does that means that the sim will have real life values?, what do you think?, also, i am kind of cozy right now so i will finish cheking the gwut tomorrow :P, but if someone of you want it just send me a pm, remember that it is still a WIP.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: FireBird_[WINE
]
The high res versions weren't needed...

Understand about those three... But TERRAIN_DETAIL_LEBANON.dds was a photorealistic one, a new one is not. Maybe it's better to return it with future releases (patches)?

Well it was only used for the road sides, so having such a huge texture for such a small area I think was misuse of resources. If you like the texture maybe it would be better to use it somewhere else?

BTW which map are you talking about? The only place I can see where i was a 1MB texture was Cuba, all the others used a 256kb one. And that texture did look out of place along the roads there...

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 12:36 AM

You know (Arneh), i was thinking about something, even if i put real life values "on the paper" (or in this case, on the csv), does that means that the sim will have real life values?, what do you think?

Some of the values make a difference. Like guidance for the weapons changes if and how the weapon can be spoofed (IR missiles can, SACLOS missiles can't), and range obviously decided from how far it can be launched.

Cruise speed decides what speed the AI vehicle will use when moving. It doesn't have to correspond to a real life value, it's just what speed you want it to move. Though it shouldn't be faster than it's real life top speed of course smile Rotor diameter and configuration I don't think make any difference for AI aircraft, and for player controlled one it's defined someplace else.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 12:58 AM

Ok, rotor values are superfluous then?, i have changed the guidance sstems and cruise speeds to real life values, so i guess that is ok right?, i mean, i DO want them to move at the speed they should move in real life :P, one or two missiles that are SACLOS were set as IR in the game (surface-surface ATGM's), some laser beam riding missiles were set as semi active laser, some semi active radar missiles were set as ir and some ir were set as active radar, overall, it looked like somebody wanted the CIS weapons to be silly and inferior and the yanqui/yankee weapons to be superior and overkilling.
Rotor configuration is also superfluous?, that is really sad, i could had sworn that i see a better bahaviour on the twin rotor choppers frown .
I set the ranges to maximum (usable) values, not maximum values, because aparently many many missiles can fly farther than their "maximum" range, but they can not engage any target at that point.
Posted By: ataribaby

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 01:09 AM

Hi Arneh,
just flew few mission in Lybia with Mi24 and holly cow. Thanks a lot for this great Hind experience. One thing bugged me - how i can fire turret gun on target? it always fire straight on.

Ataribaby

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 01:21 AM

Quote:
Rotor configuration is also superfluous?, that is really sad, i could had sworn that i see a better bahaviour on the twin rotor choppers frown .

Do you mean from AI helicopters or helicopters you fly yourself? And which ones?

Quote:
I set the ranges to maximum (usable) values, not maximum values, because aparently many many missiles can fly farther than their "maximum" range, but they can not engage any target at that point.

Well, there is a value for effective range and one for maximum range...

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: tomas
how i can fire turret gun on target? it always fire straight on.

I wrote on the wiki earlier today about how to use the Mi-24's weapons. Haven't had time to make images yet though.
http://www.eechcentral.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mi-24_weapons

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 01:28 AM

On the AI Ch-46 and AI Ka-29, i thought that the momentum-inertia relation was more smooth and less robotic, also, they were slower to turn on their axis, and they turned in circles better (that is what i thought i see).
SOOOOO, really?, that is why this is a WIP dude biggrin!, i am sticking my nose on the CSV RIGHT NOW sir!.
Alejandro out... :P

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 01:34 AM

how i can fire turret gun on target? it always fire straight on.

I wrote on the wiki earlier today about how to use the Mi-24's weapons. Haven't had time to make images yet though.
http://www.eechcentral.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mi-24_weapons

Thanks. That solved mystery.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 01:34 AM

And that texture did look out of place along the roads there...

Got the point. Thank you for the explanation.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 01:57 AM

LATEST NEWS
While i was correcting the above stuff, i noticed that the 12.7mm, 20mm m61, 25mm M242, 76mm M75, 120mm M256, 155mm M284, 14.5mm, 30mm 2A38M, 30mm 2A72, 30mm OA-17A, 30mm ADMG-630, 76mm, 100mm, 100mm 2K23, 125mm 2A46M1 and 152mm 2A65 shells, and the M270, BM-21, LAU-69/A, M220, AT-5, AT-10 and AT-11 rockets are WHEIGHTLESS!, soooooooooooooo, dinner is going to be late :P .

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 02:06 AM

Don't tire yourself too much, the weight only matters for player helicopters as it adds to the total helicopter weight. So doesn't matter for weapons that will never be used on helicopters.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 02:08 AM

Well man, who said that they will NEVER would be used by a player controlled vehicle?, also, it is very good to have real life values already set for future updates do not you think?, i can envision player controlled cobras firing tows and some other stuff biggrin :P .

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 02:34 AM

Sure the TOW is a helicopter launched missile. But I doubt any player controlled helicopter will ever fire BM21 artillery rockets biggrin

Though one point to keep in mind that the weapons in EECH doesn't have any value for the launcher weight. So e.g. gun pods or rocket pods don't weigh anything, just the indivual rockets or gun rounds. So to compensate I added some weight to each round so that the total weight should be about right. It will still weigh nothing when the pod is empty, but at least an improvement...
And also remember when taking the weight of gun rounds that you use the entire cartridge weight, not just the projectile weight.
Posted By: Rick.50cal

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 08:26 AM

The Soviets lost 333 Hinds in combat?!?! Woah!

Wow, what an amazing addon to this sim! I'm definately going to have to dig up my old discs and reinstall this with the new Hind!

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 10:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Rick.50cal
The Soviets lost 333 Hinds in combat?!?!

Not quite. They lost 333 helicopters, but a lot of them where other types, mostly Mi-8s. Wikipedia has a partial list of confirmed shootdowns, and in that list the totals by type are:
Mi-6: 9
Mi-8: 45
Mi-10: 1
Mi-24: 16
Unidentified helicopter: 14

So if those ratios are representative then 20-25% of the helicopter losses were Mi-24s.
Posted By: Rick.50cal

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 01:00 PM

Ok, that sounds much more in line with what I'd have expected! I'll bet most of those were lost to Stingers too. I mean, the thing was armored, and much of it appeared to be designed with the American lessons from Vietnam operational experience, all of that being open publication. I'm curious about the "unidentified helicopters", I'm guessing they were the common types but the shootdowns weren't specifically identified for whatever reason, fog of war or whatever.

Several years ago, a Russian Mi-26 was shot down in Chechnya, and 127 soldiers were killed on that overloaded helo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Khankala_Mi-26_crash

Having been an infantry passenger on helicopters doing tactical deployments, I'll bet there's almost no warning of a problem, other than suddenly being thrown about the cabin. One guy I used to know nearly got himself killed, the heli came in to land, he popped his seatbelt off and was about to step off the heli, I grabbed his arm hard, because the heli suddenly gained altitude and moved right over a cliff area... I just held him until about a minute later we landed properly. See, the pilot really didn't like the specific landing area, too many tree stumps that I assume would be problematic for the tail rotor, and moved to another area inside the LZ.
Posted By: MIGHAIL

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 06:55 PM

thamx:) hope no more stupido questions from me, get new pc:)
merry selebrations for everyone:)

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 07:15 PM

Arneh, woul not be better to add the pilon weight to the aircraft itself?.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 11:26 PM

Arneh, woul not be better to add the pilon weight to the aircraft itself?.

Maybe. But all pods don't weigh the same (i.e. the gun pods are heavier, since they have to carry two heavy guns), and some weapons don't require extra pods or racks. And sometimes you may want to leave some pylons empty to save weight, and it would suck a little if weight of pods then had already been added to aircraft weight :p

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 11:49 PM

Yup, i see your point, what about making the pylons weight?.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/26/08 11:58 PM

Yup, i see your point, what about making the pylons weight?.

Well that's obviously the best solution, but also clearly the most work smile Would have to code in that the weight should be added to total weight. And also need a system for describing which weapons require which pylon/pod. And some weapons can use several. Like the Hellfires for the Comanche doesn't require anything if in the internal bays, while they do require the quad-pylons when mounted externally (plus the wings to mount them on...).

Probably best would be to add it in the weapon configurations, though there are hundreds of different configurations, so that would be a ton of work.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/27/08 01:21 AM

Well, not nesairly, i think the better would be to make it another weapon (more that one of course, also, we could simplify and create "generic" pylons with the aproximate weight) right?, then add it to the loadout that have weapons that require pylos only, that way, only weapons that use pylons would make heavier loadouts, and also, since the comanche with stub wings is a different model, we could make that model only heavier, that would also apply for other vehicles as well.
Just a thought.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/27/08 01:49 AM

OK!, i have finished, i also updates muzzle velocities of some rounds and rockets, fire rate of some rounds and rockets, max and min range os some rockets and missiles, i had to use an "average" for some of the values (mostly max effective range), because the source data was very VERY dispair.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/27/08 08:18 PM

Hi Arneh,

I just commited code to fix dinamic head movements from g-forces and added vibrations from main rotor for Hind. If it is ok and working for you i want implement this for all other copter cokpits. Please, What is mailing list for EECH devs again so i can join? Your Hind work really motivate me to work on this sim.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/27/08 08:52 PM

What is mailing list for EECH devs again so i can join?

eech-dev-subscribe@bollocks.net.nz

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/27/08 08:55 PM

Hey, what is that "mailing list" thing for?.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/27/08 09:03 PM

Hey, what is that "mailing list" thing for?.

For discussing EECH development smile

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/27/08 09:38 PM

Great!, how can i join?.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/27/08 10:35 PM

Great!, how can i join?.

Send an e-mail to that address, and then do what the automatic reply tells you to (can't remember what it is any longer smile )

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/28/08 01:49 AM

Ok, will do, thanks! ^_^ .

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/28/08 05:35 PM

Dynamic head for all main copters and realistic external sound commited, Arneh. Also made HIND default flyable without faa=1. Details in change log. Virtual pit code for some copters like Havoc is little bit messy and need reflow. Isnt Havoc 3d pit had working needles and lights on left side? It not work now but maybe my memory plays games on me.any plans for Havoc 3d pit to complete main copter line?

with value around external_sounds_volume=0.4 you get pretty realistic external sounds in cokpit. value external_sounds_volume=1.0 make that old "Hollywood" super duper sound, just little bit enhanced canopy mute.
Posted By: Kassie

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/28/08 10:42 PM

Well, it's a bit late. But I don't want to skip this.

Thank you Arneh. thumbsup

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/28/08 10:49 PM

Dynamic head for all main copters and realistic external sound commited, Arneh. Also made HIND default flyable without faa=1. Details in change log.

Cool, thanks.

Quote:
Isnt Havoc 3d pit had working needles and lights on left side?

Only in the old 2D fixed cockpit.

Quote:
.any plans for Havoc 3d pit to complete main copter line?

No. Too few pictures/little data on real cockpit.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/28/08 11:06 PM

Np, my pleasure. You made unbelivable Hind pit that attracted me back to this sim. Btw it really need DX GFX guru to fix engine for today cards. Also new FM (2) has little vibrating when copter sit on ground. It is not my change i made for rotor vibrations. Also i saw strange mid air stuff with new FM. After colison with wingman i lost rotor blades and heli gets stick midair still etc. Also hover and altitude hold for hind need visit. It will start oscilate more and more and you fall down from sky. Maybe it not count for slow rotor thrust changes of hind. I will try take a look. And last what bugged me is when i load sim and start new campaing noise detail textures are ok. But after i quit game and then run again and load that saved camapig for example noise sand in Lybia is not loaded properly and terrain is black and white. After i start new campaing in Lybia, imedietly exit to main menu and then load saved game it is ok. It happens only with compiled CVS exe. That one you released not suffer from this i think. Strange.
Posted By: Retro

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/29/08 08:46 AM

As for that mailing list, I'm not sure if it's really worthwhile to subscribe here. It might be more effective just to create a thread on this forum (maybe with a special thread header or such..).

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/29/08 10:23 AM

Great idea. I am for dev forum thread too.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/29/08 10:48 AM

Tomas, do you also experience the brief 'white flashes' graphical glitch ?
If so, is that also happening in the other exe you have ?
The new Hind flight_model=2 proved unuseable for me because I got so many problems with it, it was also vey difficult to fly, take-off&land and made me crash more than I like (even more than usual :)). May be my install of EECH1+EEAH only, dunno.
Posted By: Toumal

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/29/08 12:18 PM

I'm mirroring the downloads over at eechcentral.com

Patch: http://www.eechcentral.com/files/Game%20patches/community%20patches/eechsetup1.11.0.exe
Cockpit: http://www.eechcentral.com/files/Game%20patches/community%20patches/cockpit-terrain-updates-1.0.exe
All-mod package: http://www.eechcentral.com/files/allmods/eech-allMods-1.11.exe

All related Wiki-articles have been updated as well.

Here's a thought, how about you guys form up and make a short trailer covering all the new goodness of EECH in general? That's something I could stick onto the front page to attract new players.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/29/08 04:17 PM

Yup SimFan i have that gfx anomalies too with my Nvidia 8600 GT. Also missing polygons in sky and brief strange gray polygons popping randomly. Older drivers not helps but i found this minimizes problems to flyable state.

32bit=1
notnl=1 - well i got better sky nearly without missing polygons with 0 but there is bad z-fighting with 0 for me.

Also Lybia is less "buggy" to fly. Not much polygon flashing.

Well, it is engine itself that need to be fixed for modern GFX cads...

BTW all is ok with that Sticky dev thread where we can discus development as Retro advised? If yes lets create it. Just finished option for toggle sound in campaing UI. As it is so terrible on time accel and someone beside me can prefer silent UI withhout that audio garbage. About HIND FM=2. I like it it is more representative FM for that heavy helis. It just need some fixing. Now you must fly carefully and not sink too fast near ground and be careful with collective. Beside some strage behaviour in extreme situatuins and that stand still vibrations i like it so much to fly with new FM. Especialy Hind.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/29/08 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Werewolf
I'm mirroring the downloads over at eechcentral.com
Here's a thought, how about you guys form up and make a short trailer covering all the new goodness of EECH in general? That's something I could stick onto the front page to attract new players.

Hehe, it needs attract more devs, especialy GFX gurus. wink

Arneh: There must be some issue with new noise textures loading. COmpiled exe just randomly make some stuff BW as it show onlu that detail texture without alpha. Sometime it is sand in Libia other time it is Tree canopies in Georgia etc.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/29/08 08:15 PM

@tomas... this make the white flashes and other anomalies general issues I suppose, not related to nvidia and/or older-newer cards or drivers.
flight_model=2 for e.g. comanche and apache makes those birds feel wing-less. It's like the helo's are on rails. Now I suppose this is normal for a Hind, but less so for agile helos (?).
I'll wait till Arneh either fixes it or there is concensus this is as it should be.
Anyway I hope Arneh will tell us if he plans to look into the graphical glitches or not, I might temporarily even go back to 1.10.2 for as long as it takes (version which IMHO was almost perfect).
I'd *hate* to miss out on the Hind (who could now ever consider to fly without it ????).

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/29/08 10:05 PM

Hehe, it needs attract more devs, especialy GFX gurus. wink

Very much so. Unfortunately I'm not a GFX guru. And I don't know what's causing the flashes, particulary since happens without both noisemaps nor hind cockpit, and that's the only changes I can think of that would affect graphics...

Quote:
Arneh: There must be some issue with new noise textures loading. COmpiled exe just randomly make some stuff BW as it show onlu that detail texture without alpha. Sometime it is sand in Libia other time it is Tree canopies in Georgia etc.

Yes, something weird going on there. I noticed it myself the day before release, so I made an emergency fix by throwing initializations of the noisetextures in various places it should make no difference and used that for the release. And it did solved the problem there. Though that's not the proper solution so I was hoping to come up with something better. And I apparently didn't check in those emergency fixes. But I've checked it in now, until something better crops up.
Posted By: AMRAAM

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/29/08 10:05 PM

For what it is worth, I too, am having the graphics glitches. Of course I have a GForce 86oo as well. Happens with both recent and "not so recent" drivers.
Posted By: Toumal

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/29/08 10:10 PM

You know, that's why I enjoy working with Java for a living. All this memory corruption crap just doesn't happen. Oh there's weirdness in Java too, but it's on an entirely different level...

Debugging this is going to be a... um... female canine, especially since not everyone has those glitches.

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/31/08 04:48 AM

I found cause of porked player insertion. Program thinks player heli is AI and toggles gear on player touchdown and it lock gear operations and autopilot. I tested both AI and player Hind insertions and works ok so far. Only looks strange AI heli lower undercarige after it actualy touchdown. Looks terrible. I will see if i can do somwthing. But it is problem of whole AI operations - it is pretty simplified. Hmm nearly all Helis now hover over ground when you start mission at some angle. When i paused and entered mission i saw Hind just fall down little bit form 2 -3 feets. Maybe it is new suspension code. BTW some coder know where to make that 30m aim circle from X insertion waypoint margin bigger? I now found it yet in code and it will be cool to make it bigger for player insertion mission landing.
Posted By: Templar

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 12/31/08 10:29 PM

Thank you for taking the time to implement this bird so well Arneh, flying low and fast has never been so intense smile
Posted By: Austin

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 01/03/09 01:52 AM

Great job arneh!!

I have a sony bravia LCD 42 in. 1080p with Gforce 7600 gs.
What an experience. The fx is stunning!!

BTW I also have the gfx flashing. That's OK for me now. I'll fly until I go into ceasures.

Thanks
A

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 01/04/09 02:20 AM

Added CPG next/prev target lock and ID callouts. When target is not identified CPG calls out "Spot On" as there is not speech for target locked. If it is identified by CPG then he calls "Enemy" or "Friendly". When i fugure out how to get exact target type like a tank/sam/AAA etc then i will add this to id call too. Speech for most target types is there.
Posted By: Agamemnon_b5

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 01/04/09 03:39 AM

Perhaps this has already been answered but I couldn't find it.

My gunsight doesn't come up (nor does the back-up sight). And when I fire, sometimes the co-pilot says no targeting system (which I think is related to the gunsight). However sometimes I am able to fire but still there is no gunsight.
Posted By: Reticuli

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 01/17/09 07:18 AM

I'd like to see a little less horizontal streamlining/weatherviening in the new flight model in the next release. Werewolf's has almost none. The new FM seems to have a little too much. Even at low speeds you get whiplashed around too much.

My bigger issue with the #2 FM, though, is the Hind rolling in the opposite direction you yaw when you are at speed.

And is the engine governor on the Hind initially low? Seems to be widly underpowered at first.

Clearly some sort of tweak is definitely doing coordinated turns for us when you bank while cruising, now. I don't really have a problem with that, since the Apache D and Comanche have/had that feature. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ka-52 has it, too.

I've been putting the altitude change with yaw down a point or two in the eech.ini, as well. Tail-mixing should work both ways, afterall. Should reduce VRS to a less annoying frequency.

I'm also getting the white flashes and the CTDs talking about terrain elevation being off the map.

My new GlovePIE scripts are finalized. You get a fairly nice attitude-command/attitude-hold auto trimming action going on without the need for the X52 profile axis-bands, and new limits to how rapidly you can move the cyclic. Warning sounds also give you a safety margin of 25% under the over-control point so you know where your envelope is if you're careful. When you do over-control, you get a warning about your engines shutting down, which you need to hurry and pop them back up. Really good incentive to be gentle. Heavy yawing also decreases your safe response authority. I'll try and get the v.12 pack up soon.
Posted By: Reticuli

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 01/18/09 12:22 AM

Hind definitely seems to have weird collective settings. The governor is up by default when you first get in, so that's not it. I have to put it past the detent on my throttle into the overtorque range to lift off and climb. Otherwise you really have to take advantage of translational lift to keep from crashing.

While the first incarnation of autorotation was clearly too easy and had too much lift. Pitching down and building up speed (which should be easier) also doesn't seem to increase rotor RPMs much at all, even with the little speed you can build up. The only time I see an increase in rotor RPMs with the rotor disengaged and the collective down is when I pitch up. Not good. Any increase in forward speed will push air through them and increase RPM, assuming the collective is down and rotor is disengaged.

Autorotation is a give and take between forward speed, decent, pitch up, pitch down, and conserving rotor RPMs through forwards speed without smashing into the ground...flaring and increasing collective at just the right time, fast on the flare, gradual on the collective. This uses up forward velocity for lowering vertical decent in the pitch up and the collective uses up the RPM "currency" you've stored up to cushion further for controlling the touchdown. The balance seems way off right now. Like I said, the initial autorotation modeling seemed fine except there was just excessive lift and you seemed to be able to conserve altitude too easily at the expense of not much else.

Like the overall flight models, we seem to be yo yoing between two extremes, here.
Posted By: gunslingerr

Re: X-Mas is here, EECH 1.11 and Mi-24 cockpit released - 03/30/09 02:17 PM

Flying the Hind in EECH: a dream come true... Great work, arneh!!

BTW, i have the flashes, but only for a short while, and noticeably, only when i'm on the ground (FARP, airfield or random landing). They seem to disappear by the time i assume cruise flight.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums