homepage

Wind direction

Posted By: El-Producto

Wind direction - 02/08/12 07:45 PM

This is probably really obvious, but I can't seem to find the answer.

How do I tell which direction the wind is blowing? I'm working on my takeoff and landing, and it says to pay attention to wind direction, but I can't seem to find out how I know that.

Thanks
Posted By: EinsteinEP

Re: Wind direction - 02/08/12 08:48 PM

1) Contact the ATC - they'll tell you wind direction when you get takeoff clearance.
2) Check your PVI-800. Hit the button underneath the 0 to get the nav system's best estimate of wind (7 m/s at 309° in pic below).

Posted By: El-Producto

Re: Wind direction - 02/08/12 09:16 PM

Awesome thanks! Now is that direction the way the wind is blowing, or headed from.

I guess I should RTFM wink
Posted By: Melcar

Re: Wind direction - 02/08/12 09:22 PM

That's the direction it's coming from -- so if you put your heading to 309 your nose is straight into the wind.
Posted By: Vitesse

Re: Wind direction - 02/09/12 12:26 PM

Can you get an idea of the direction from looking at the vanes on the nose?

Must try and see.
Posted By: Melcar

Re: Wind direction - 02/09/12 03:42 PM

Quote:
Can you get an idea of the direction from looking at the vanes on the nose?

According to this thread I found over on the ED forums the answer is yes.
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=43814
Posted By: bogusheadbox

Re: Wind direction - 02/09/12 06:21 PM

Technically, the answer is no more than yes. The vanes will only give you a correct direction of wind when in a stationary hover.

If you are moving in any direction you will have a forward component which will alter the direction on ther vanes. So whilst moving in any direction (the faster the worst it will be) then the vanes are a poor indication of wind direction.

However, what they are good at is showing you the RELATIVE air flow for any given direction and speed. (In a hover the relative air flow equals the wind direction - provided the downdraft of the blades does not affect the vanes)
© 2024 SimHQ Forums