homepage

General Level Bombing Questions

Posted By: That_1_Trains_Girl

General Level Bombing Questions - 11/04/20 11:45 AM

Hi y'all!

I just had a few questions about level bombing using a bombsight in Rise of Flight. I'm currently flying a career on the Channel Map in the DFW C.V, and I find the bombsight to be rather intuitive to use. I do have to question, however, exactly how to use the wind direction setting. I know that this sight, unlike those on the Handley-Page and the Gotha, only use binary inputs, meaning you can only set the wind to be coming from in front or behind your aircraft. But oftentimes, I will approach the target with the wind diagonally to my aircraft, and I find that, regardless of the windage setting, my bombs tend to miss massively whenever this happens. Is there any one-stop-shop trick to dealing with this, so to speak? Or does it come down to pure luck at that juncture?

Additionally, something I've not yet been able to find a clear answer for is the question of bomb fusing times. Is there any way to set a delay on the bombs or is that fixed, and if so, do all bombs explode on contact or do some have delay fuses? I flew some bombing missions in the Sowpith Strutter and its bombs seem to have a delay, whereas the C.V did not. Does it come down to nationality? I saw some mods which adjust this one way or another, but in an interest in keeping things as realistic as possible, I decided to keep with 777's choice on the matter until I had more information.

Thank you all for your responses!
Posted By: 33lima

Re: General Level Bombing Questions - 11/09/20 11:34 AM

Dropping things that go bang in RoF is not my subject but a reliable source (Alfred Price IIRC) reported that using visual cues like smoke from the ground, Stuka leaders generally made their bomb runs such as not to bomb crosswind - and that was a precision bomber! So maybe best not to bomb crosswind at all, rather than try to adjust for it.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums