homepage

Introducing SweetFX for ROF!

Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason

Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/16/12 08:25 AM

Pilots,

So, I got turned on to this SweetFX mod by someone who uses it for CLOD and it's pretty cool. I've managed to get it working in ROF and I've attached it to this post.

SweetFX is a DirectX injector (or some crazy thing) that pre-empts your usual graphics appearance and imposes it's own settings which includes some cool colors settings, contrasts, HDR tweaks, post effects and a certain kind of anti-ailiasing. It works the same way as the old ENBSeries mod from a while back. Only this one has more features. Actually it can be used in conjunction with the ENB mod, but it's overkill in my opinion.

I've found some settings that I like which gives ROF a certain color tone and brightness which to me feels more gritty. Just my opinion of course. It boosts the brights a bit and darkens the shadows and I added a fuzzy dark filter in the corners to make it feel like you have goggles on. You can change the settings how ever you want and experiment. It doesn't seem to hurt anything and doesn't seem to hurt framerate much if at all. It also seems to play friendly with nvidia inspector. The only issue is that it will interfere with such things as TS overlays and most frame-rate counters. However, it does work with RivaTuner powered apps like MSI Afterburner which you can see in my pics below. You can also run it in splitscreen mode so you can see the difference. You can also turn it off with the press of a key which is very convenient.

For more information you can go here: http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/sweetfx_shader_suite_download.html

Feel free to download it from this post and give it a try. I thought some of you might like it.

http://www.777studios.net/ROF_Utilities/SweetFX_for_ROF.zip

To install just unzip into your main ROF directory. To turn off hit the "U" key (this can be changed) and to take a screenshot hit the "6" key (can also be changed).

I've attached a few screens I took wit it working in ROF in splitscreen. Hope you like.

Posted By: Bandy

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/16/12 10:23 AM

Good to have GFX options.

Nice slip on the image with the cranes Jason, you tease winkngrin
Posted By: Laser

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/16/12 11:50 AM

6th image, too beercheers
Posted By: dutch

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/16/12 05:30 PM

Always welcome, but Jason why not introduce DirectX triple buffering in RoF and improve the grahic settings, if nVidia owners like fifi have better results on the nVidia settings then it would be time to do some upgradings inside RoF.
Posted By: NattyIced

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/16/12 06:52 PM

Nevermind, looks like they are already included in the download.
Posted By: Fifi2

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/16/12 10:30 PM

Well, it's easier to use it with JSGME, and enabling/desabling SweetFX like a standart mod thumbsup

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/17/12 07:53 AM

And here is what happens when you take the sharpening feature to it's extremes. Very interesting how it makes the ground come alive with detail. It does cause some noticable pixelation on airplane textures, but wow look at the ground. It's totally adjustable though to give you an in-between look that is still pretty nice.

Pretty cool what you can do with this thing.

Jason

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/17/12 08:50 AM

That is indeed cool Jason, but what when there is a new update??? I have very bad experience with mods after a RoF update!!! Thats why I do not use them.
Posted By: Brigstock

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/17/12 03:37 PM

This is not a mod for the game, no RoF system files are changed, so it wont affect updates at all.
You don't run in mods on or anything like that and it can also be applied to any game you own
Posted By: hollow1slo

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/17/12 04:55 PM

Jason, those modified settings look awesome. Could you please be so kind and share the new ones?

Regards,
Matej
Posted By: Cold_Flying

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/17/12 07:27 PM

Looks great. Thanks. smile

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/18/12 05:40 AM

Guys,

Ok here are my settings. I played around with this thing all day with the latest Beta and it is quite powerful in many ways, but I decided the biggest benefit of SweetFX is the Lumasharpening setting. By cranking that up you can pull out some more detail in the terrain textures and aircraft paintjobs. Some may find it too "noisy" on aircraft paintjobs, but I'm fine with it. I also turned on the Technicolor and DPX Cineon color settings. My color settings have a bit less green so the colors may seem a but muted to you, but I like it. I don't need the SMAA on my rig, but it does seem to work ok when I had it on. I took off the goggle effect because I spend a lot of my time outside the cockpit.

Here are my ROF settings for reference and my SweetFX settings file.

http://www.777studios.net/ROF_Utilities/SweetFX_settings_Jason.zip

As you can see from the pics below the difference between stock ROF and my final SweetFX settings is minimal. A testament to ROF.

I'm sure I will play with this some more, but here's what I am happy with at the moment. I just shot some video with it on and looks pretty great. Look for that later.

Jason
Posted By: hollow1slo

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/18/12 06:48 AM

Great, thank you Jason.
Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/18/12 07:58 AM

Another cool feature is the Bloom setting, i like the bloom in ROF but i think its a bit over done, so i turn it off in game and add a little via the SweetFX setting.
Posted By: BULL

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/18/12 09:23 AM

I never knew that we had horses in the game!
Posted By: LukeFF

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/18/12 09:48 AM

Originally Posted By: BULL

It's a mod.
Posted By: Smokin_Hole

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/18/12 01:59 PM

Jason, any post from you that brings out your inner fanboy is a great post indeed. Channel looks beautiful!
Posted By: Brigstock

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/18/12 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: LukeFF
Originally Posted By: BULL

It's a mod.

I thought it was another teaser of the next patch. I heard that some new ground objects were being worked on.
I just presumed we were seeing that in Jason's beta install

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/18/12 06:32 PM

The horses and other new objects are made by our friend Vander. I am working with him on a special basis. But anyone can make new objects since we released our Object SDK assuming you know a little about making 3D objects. Vander has learned how to make them move and shoot etc.

You'll be able to play with these at some point in the future. I was just testing to see who was awake. wave

Jason
Posted By: JG52Krupi

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/19/12 01:36 AM

Nice, thanks for posting Jason I will give this a go tomorrow pilot
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/19/12 02:35 PM

I call shenanigans! As well know, and I'm sure there are HUNDREDS of documented cases in various sources out there, horses are afraid of Camels!! Why aren't they being spooked?!?!?!?!? smile

The Jedi Master

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/19/12 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason
The horses and other new objects are made by our friend Vander. I am working with him on a special basis. But anyone can make new objects since we released our Object SDK assuming you know a little about making 3D objects. Vander has learned how to make them move and shoot etc.

You'll be able to play with these at some point in the future. I was just testing to see who was awake. wave

Jason

Hmm wondering why we did not see that much results of the Object SDK, seems like we get a new toy in the 777 shop.

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/19/12 07:07 PM

Only a few people took up the challenge of making new objects even though it is quite easy compared to other sims. We also have more map tools thanks to AnKor and guys like DiFiS and others learning how to make maps. Eventually you will see some cool stuff come out of it.

Jason
Posted By: Fifi2

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/20/12 12:55 AM

You'll be able to play with these at some point in the future.

Jason

Can't wait for future! boing

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/20/12 07:48 PM

Only a few people took up the challenge of making new objects even though it is quite easy compared to other sims. We also have more map tools thanks to AnKor and guys like DiFiS and others learning how to make maps. Eventually you will see some cool stuff come out of it.

Jason

I found this also very strange because if reading from the early stage of RoF, lots of forum members did show there talents, like on planes but eventually they went away to another game scene or stopped. Sadly I do not have that talent.
Posted By: paf_eaf310

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/20/12 08:14 PM

One problem is you need Max8 for the plugins. Its understandable but a pity.
Many have no access to this version.
But I think it needs abit of time and things will come to us smile
Posted By: komemiute

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/20/12 08:54 PM

Why Max8???
Posted By: Dantes

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/20/12 09:22 PM

Interesting plug in.

Not sure about the Cineon DPX creating a "sunny look" as described in the website.

Cineon is a format developed by Kodak take the colour data and fit it into a 10bit image sequence, distributing the colour data logarithmically based on your eyes sensitivity.

DPX is the successor to Cineon that contains metadata used for tracking files.

Linear data would require larger 16 bitrate image files.

It's mainly for post production work. I'm very familiar with it as I use dpx log files at work for features.

There is no benefit I can see but for aesthetics, but if you like the look of raised blacks and smoothed whites go for it.

Just never thought I would see those terms mentioned in a sim forum thread. wink

S!
Posted By: NattyIced

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/22/12 12:17 AM

It's been an interesting graphical mod, and certainly adds some different effects that can be quite nice. After using it for the past several days I've returned back to the game's graphic settings using the in-game graphical adjustments. I think it looks just great as is, but the what the mod can do is certainly very cool. Just my opinion of course, but I'm back to using just the in-game settings adjusted to my tastes.

Beautiful graphics RoF team.
Posted By: -Avatar-

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/22/12 05:17 AM

Originally Posted By: 777
...Eventually you will see some cool stuff come out of it.

Cool! salute
Posted By: Tvrdi

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/22/12 09:08 AM

I was using SweetFX for some time..but for CLOD (before, I wiped it out from my PC). As I didnt like "washed out" colors and lack of good contrast (also, ingame AA wasnt working for some time). But for ROF I dont use it as ROF looks awesome out of the box, plus it has enough graphic features within game video settings and conf file settings....The problem with SweetFX is that it doesnt look good in all (weather/time of the day) conditions (lets say at dusk pic can look too dark etc.) so you need to make adjustments for different times of the day. However it is a nice tool to play with and for some it will be useful. I must admit that I never used sharpening feature withing SweetFX settings as it bring more cartoonish effect which I dont like....What I would like to test is Anti Aliasing alone (from SweetFX) and compare the performance with the one from the game...maybe we can have the same quality of AA but with better performace if we use SweetFX. I mean for my rig AA from game isnt a problem at all (perf is very good) but maybe It would be usefull for guys with slower cards...
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/22/12 11:15 AM

Agreed, I use graphic enhancing programmes in other games, (FXAA for instance in CLoD) because it really does need it.
But RoF for me is a great looking game with lots of graphic options as is, so I'll not be using sweetfx. smile

Re: Introducing SweetFX for ROF! - 11/22/12 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Tvrdi
I was using SweetFX for some time..but for CLOD (before, I wiped it out from my PC). As I didnt like "washed out" colors and lack of good contrast (also, ingame AA wasnt working for some time). But for ROF I dont use it as ROF looks awesome out of the box, plus it has enough graphic features within game video settings and conf file settings....The problem with SweetFX is that it doesnt look good in all (weather/time of the day) conditions (lets say at dusk pic can look too dark etc.) so you need to make adjustments for different times of the day. However it is a nice tool to play with and for some it will be useful. I must admit that I never used sharpening feature withing SweetFX settings as it bring more cartoonish effect which I dont like....What I would like to test is Anti Aliasing alone (from SweetFX) and compare the performance with the one from the game...maybe we can have the same quality of AA but with better performace if we use SweetFX. I mean for my rig AA from game isnt a problem at all (perf is very good) but maybe It would be usefull for guys with slower cards...

Some as you can read at the RoFforum have better results using nVidia settings, this means the whole graphic adjustments inside RoF needs some update. Like the rather inefficient SuperSampling and the missing triplebuffering for directX. Hope they will consider some improvements inhere.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums