homepage

Hey Jason, can we have an RFC Nieuport17 weapons mod?

Posted By: totalspoon

Hey Jason, can we have an RFC Nieuport17 weapons mod? - 04/27/12 06:59 AM

Hi Jason,

Historically, the most common weapon mod of all was the RFC's weapon change to its imported Nieuport fighters. All RFC Nieuports (apart from a handful sent straight from the manufactures to the middle east) had the Vickers machine gun removed and a Lewis gun on a Foster mount added. All the famous Nieuport mounts of the British aces such as Ball, Mannock and Bishop were all armed with just a single Lewis gun on a Fosters mount.

As the field mods are already going to include the option of a lewis gun on the top wing, is it possible to include the RFC variant with no Vickers?

I'll post you a basket full of kittens if you say yes

Spoon
Posted By: ArgonV

Re: Hey Jason, can we have an RFC Nieuport17 weapons mod? - 04/27/12 03:00 PM

Check here:

http://riseofflight.com/en/store/weaponmods/Nieuport_17C1

http://riseofflight.com/en/store/weaponmods/Nieuport_11C1

I am takin this to mean that the guns listed will be the only mounted options. Not simply added ontop of the Vickers.
Posted By: FIScott

Re: Hey Jason, can we have an RFC Nieuport17 weapons mod? - 04/27/12 06:06 PM

Agreed, I just assumed that would be the case ? No worries though, the rate of fire was higher on the Lewis gun so X2 should be a lot heavier hitter.

Re: Hey Jason, can we have an RFC Nieuport17 weapons mod? - 04/27/12 10:33 PM

Quote:
I am takin this to mean that the guns listed will be the only mounted options. Not simply added ontop of the Vickers.

I don't think so. "1 x Lewis (single overwing)" is listed as being added to the Spad S.VII, Albatros D.III, Albatros D.Va, RE8, F2B and Breguet yet I'll bet you none of these are loosing their Vickers/Spandau. I can't imagine any German pilot removing both MG08/15's from his Albatros just to fit one lewis. smile

Similarly, adding a extra lewis to the Spad S.VII was not unknown as it gave it two guns but I've never heard of a Lewis only Spad S.VII so when ROF list "1 x Lewis (single overwing)", I'm pretty sure they mean his,

So with the three weapons mods, we'll end up with four armament versions. Here's what I think they'll be...

Stanadard Version
1 Vickers

"1 x Lewis (single overwing)"
1 Vickers and 1 Extra Lewis gun , as per Charles Nungessers personal Nieuport

"2 x Lewis (double overwing)"
1 Vickers and 2 Extra Lewis guns

"LePrieur Rockets"
1 Vickers and 8 LePrieur Rockets

BUT this is what I would like, the RFC Nieuport with only 1 Lewis gun and no Vickers, like Bishops famous machine B1566

Spoon
Posted By: Freycinet

Re: Hey Jason, can we have an RFC Nieuport17 weapons mod? - 04/28/12 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: totalspoon
Hi Jason,

Historically, the most common weapon mod of all was the RFC's weapon change to its imported Nieuport fighters. All RFC Nieuports (apart from a handful sent straight from the manufactures to the middle east) had the Vickers machine gun removed and a Lewis gun on a Foster mount added. All the famous Nieuport mounts of the British aces such as Ball, Mannock and Bishop were all armed with just a single Lewis gun on a Fosters mount.

If this is the case then I second your request. Not a simple change to the sim, though...

More info and documentation about this RFC modification?
Posted By: Avimimus

Re: Hey Jason, can we have an RFC Nieuport17 weapons mod? - 04/28/12 04:10 AM

I like these light loads. It would also be cool to be able to have a CL.II with only the right gun... (as a large percentage were flown this way).

Re: Hey Jason, can we have an RFC Nieuport17 weapons mod? - 04/28/12 06:01 AM

Quote:
More info and documentation about this RFC modification?

From Windsock Datafile No. 20
Nieuport 17
by J.M. Bruce

"Those Nieuports that came to the RFC had as standard a Lewis gun on a Foster mounting on the upper mainplane: in an instruction dated November 20 1916 Brig-Gen. HRM Brooke-Popham, DAQMG, advised No.1 AD that:

'Nieuport single-seaters will be fitted up with the Foster overhead gun mounting for Lewis guns and all the parts fitted on these machines for Vickers guns and interrupter gear will be removed before issue'

This ruling was to apply not only to the Nieuport 17 but also to all Nieuports 23, 24, 24bis and 27 used by the RFC."

Spoon
Posted By: Mogster

Re: Hey Jason, can we have an RFC Nieuport17 weapons mod? - 04/28/12 11:06 AM

Yes the RFC Nieuport is an important plane, it should be separate to the French version with the Vickers mounted. AI and player should use it for RFC squadrons, the no Vickers an overwing lewis config was standard for RFc squadrons I think.

I'd pay for it separately.
Posted By: RoFfan

Re: Hey Jason, can we have an RFC Nieuport17 weapons mod? - 04/28/12 11:41 AM

Viks answered this question. The Lewis gun will be in addition to the Vickers; no RFC N17 yet.
Posted By: Freycinet

Re: Hey Jason, can we have an RFC Nieuport17 weapons mod? - 04/28/12 04:05 PM

Any way to "skin" the Vickers out of existence? Transparent layers? And no ammo for it, but for the Lewis? I guess not...
Posted By: Avimimus

Re: Hey Jason, can we have an RFC Nieuport17 weapons mod? - 04/28/12 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Freycinet
Any way to "skin" the Vickers out of existence? Transparent layers? And no ammo for it, but for the Lewis? I guess not...

It could be done - but the game rejects any modifications to single-seaters... (or pilot positions). Otherwise, I could remove the ammo in three seconds and alpha channels could be used to cut out the vickers (probably - it may be a separate model that is referenced and shared between all aircraft - I don't know).

It would be great if there was *at least* an option to have no ammunition in the Vickers...
Posted By: Pooch

Re: Hey Jason, can we have an RFC Nieuport17 weapons mod? - 05/03/12 02:42 AM

Nah...if its there , it might as well be used. I find the looks of it being the main thing. I'd like to see those Brit N17's , also. Just doesn't seem as though it would be a major thing to change on the airplane, but what do I know.
Posted By: RoFfan

Re: Hey Jason, can we have an RFC Nieuport17 weapons mod? - 05/03/12 01:34 PM

If we do get a N17 with only the Lewis gun, I hope it will have the correct instruments, too (ft and mph instead of metric).
Posted By: Mogster

Re: Hey Jason, can we have an RFC Nieuport17 weapons mod? - 05/03/12 05:33 PM

The best suggestion is to include they RFC Nieuport 17 in a pack with a new Nieuport 24
Posted By: elephant

Re: Hey Jason, can we have an RFC Nieuport17 weapons mod? - 05/03/12 09:25 PM

I'd love that! yep
Posted By: navair2

Re: Hey Jason, can we have an RFC Nieuport17 weapons mod? - 05/05/12 01:40 AM

...as would I. yep
© 2024 SimHQ Forums