homepage

If you have not purchased the Fokker D.vIII .....

Posted By: womenfly2

If you have not purchased the Fokker D.vIII ..... - 01/29/10 09:09 PM

... maybe this will change your mind?

Enjoy!

P.S. I did get a chance to fly this one.
Posted By: RocketDog

Re: If you have not purchased the Fokker D.vIII ..... - 01/29/10 09:58 PM

WF2, love the engine sound. It's like a giant 2-stroke motorcycle. Did you manage to get any photos from your flight?

Cheers,

RD
Posted By: SC/JG_Oesau

Re: If you have not purchased the Fokker D.vIII ..... - 01/29/10 10:48 PM

So womenfly2, I know you have flown radial replicas but this beauty is a rotary so am really interesting in your comments on the behaviors of the rotary especially in the areas of the gyroscopic forces and the often talked about rudder inputs required (I say often talked about as I have seen comments from Mikael Carlson regarding the Dr.1 he has that suggests that the gyroscopic effects aren't as pronounced as people think - yes, the Dr.1 and the D.VIII are different aircraft).
Posted By: djtpianoman

Re: If you have not purchased the Fokker D.vIII ..... - 01/29/10 11:01 PM

Nice vid, thanks!
Posted By: CapChris

Re: If you have not purchased the Fokker D.vIII ..... - 01/30/10 01:31 AM

I visited the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome for the first time several decades ago (the weekend of Woodstock, for you old-timers out there, which was a few miles away). The airshow included a "combat" between four aircraft, including a Fokker D7 and Triplane, and two Allied aircraft. All of the engines were originals, rotaries and in-line.

The combat sounded like a tractor pull at a county fair. Low rpm, large bore, thumping noises, just like this D8 video. A wonderful experience!

BTW--When I arrived, the D7 was just being started to warm up before the show. The Mercedes engine idled at about 120 rpm, a feature I've read about and can confirm.

Sadly, my Super-8 movies are long gone....
Posted By: TailFlamer

Re: If you have not purchased the Fokker D.vIII ..... - 01/30/10 02:09 AM

Thanks for posting.

Isn't that Kermit Weeks flying it? Does he own it and did he built it?
Love that sound. I would like to have that in RoF. It sounds rather weak in the game, compared to the real thing.

Please give us your impressions of the real thing verses the RoF model.
Posted By: Nasty

Re: If you have not purchased the Fokker D.vIII ..... - 01/30/10 04:29 AM

Thanks for sharing, definitely put a smile on my face. I want one.
Posted By: von Kinderei

Re: If you have not purchased the Fokker D.vIII ..... - 01/30/10 05:12 AM

Does the D.vIII sound like that in game ?

vK ~

Re: If you have not purchased the Fokker D.vIII ..... - 01/30/10 05:16 AM

No, not even close frown

It is about as close to the real sound as the P-51's Merlin in IL-2 is to a real Merlin. lol
Posted By: =FB=VikS

Re: If you have not purchased the Fokker D.vIII ..... - 01/30/10 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: TailFlamer
No, not even close frown

It is about as close to the real sound as the P-51's Merlin in IL-2 is to a real Merlin. lol

Its cause on current video D.VIII had an Gnome engine (160 hp, same as on N28), so if youd like to compare the sound - compare it with N28 sound.

PS to wf2: so hows your impressions about D.VIII FM? smile

Re: If you have not purchased the Fokker D.vIII ..... - 01/30/10 04:09 PM

Yeah, it is closer to the N28, but still weak in the game, just like the Dr.I and Camel's engines sound weak in the game, compared to the real ones. The N28 does have the sweetest sound in the game, but it isn't exactly right.

I would like to have more realistic sounds, but I imagine people would complain and say it sounds like a Weedeater with the muffler removed. Look what happened to the Dr.I and the wind sound. It sounds like flying in a Cessna now frown
Posted By: BuddyWoof

Re: If you have not purchased the Fokker D.vIII ..... - 01/30/10 05:40 PM

Yeah, WF2....ya should post some videos of you piloting the DVIII. That would be a cool video!
Posted By: Stickshaker

Re: If you have not purchased the Fokker D.vIII ..... - 01/31/10 12:25 PM

You are a lucky woman, WF2, to have had the chance to fly this beauty.

Can you say anything about the gyroscopic effect in the D.VIII? In the Camel it was supposed to be quite significant, but how is it with this Fokker? I would say that it was less manifest because of the longer fuselage.
Posted By: uhoh6

Re: If you have not purchased the Fokker D.vIII ..... - 02/03/10 08:34 AM

I had thought it was reduced in size, but apparently not.

interesting thread re the replica D8s

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/replica-aircraft/18566-fokker-dviii-weight-balance.html

Sounds exactly like the camel replicas--I guess because the engines are the same.

Very impressive that you have flown that thing!
Posted By: Stickshaker

Re: If you have not purchased the Fokker D.vIII ..... - 02/03/10 05:00 PM

Interesting, uhoh6. Thanks.
Posted By: Mogster

Re: If you have not purchased the Fokker D.vIII ..... - 02/03/10 05:39 PM

Interesting stuff about CofG and modern replicas being tail heavy due to wrong material choices.

I wonder if this has any bearing on Neoqb's very tail heavy Fokkers in ROF?
© 2024 SimHQ Forums