homepage

Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008

Posted By: RocketDog

Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 12:28 PM

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=3949

Beautiful looking 3D models.

No word yet on other content and fixes.

Wonder what Dr I skins we'll get as standard?

Cheers,

RD

(keeps fingers crossed for Tvrdi getting rid of his stutters)

Posted By: Tvrdi

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 12:39 PM

should I buy now ATI 5850 and shoot myself in the temple with a gun?

seriously, Im happy for you guys now....good news at last
Posted By: Biggles07

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 12:44 PM

Whoah! *rubs hands with glee* cheers Rocket.

@Tvrdi, hang in there mate....Hopefully you may be put out of your misery and start to enjoy what we have again, I know the pain trust me banghead . I know you are not a "hater" as such, just frustrated. Nothing wrong with that, and its understandable. I have stutter woe too but for a different reason (MSFFB2). Lets see what happens.
Posted By: Mogster

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 01:07 PM

Geez how good does that Camel look. I mean seriously aren't these just the best skins you've ever seen in a video game.

[Mog looks away to wipe a tear from his face]
Posted By: womenfly2

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 01:11 PM

Looks fantastic! Hope they also have the joystick sensitivity issue fixed, we will need it with both these planes.
Posted By: FlyRetired

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 01:13 PM

The stretching of the linen on the fuselage of the Camel looks great.
Posted By: Counterman

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 01:15 PM

Those aircraft look fantastic! I wish they could/would send equal time working on content fixes.

Those planes are top notch, they are gonna be a handful if some people can trim out there joysticks and sensitivity.
Posted By: Feathered_IV

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 01:31 PM

I was just coming in to say something about the Maddox update, and how it's a good time for Neoqb to produce a response. And here it is. Bless em, the two aircraft I'm waiting for. biggrin

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 01:42 PM

On a comparison of quality of appearance between Oleg's latest screenshots and Neoqb's here (sans the SOW terrain colors), I'm not seeing much difference in the rendering effetcs.
Posted By: dreidecker

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 01:57 PM

I am so excited about this patch. I come down pretty hard on this game but in the end it is only because I want to enjoy it so badly and my enjoyment has been severely hampered thus far.

I am very eager to hear how these new planes turn out and I hope they fit into the current MP dynamics well. If AI sniping and joystick centering/sensitivity have been addressed I am really ready to get back into this game! Hopefully COOP mode is coming to MP!
Posted By: MattM

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 02:02 PM

They seriously look awesome. I think i will just buy both and do some 2 hour freeflight in both to enjoy the planes. The day after that, i will look at the update release notes and see if they fixed anything at all. smile

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 02:03 PM

I am pretty sure the sniper AI will be fixed. The devs have said they will improve it in 1.008 and there's been a good discussion about this on the Neoqb site. They know all about the problem. The dogfight servers may take a bit longer and I have no idea where they are on a control model for spring-centred joysticks. There's been no word about that, except for An. Petrovich promising to look into it. I caved in and have started to use a force-feedback stick which fixes the "nose up" problem while the CH software lets me add deadzone and sensitivity curves to the rudder.

Cheers,

RD/NickM

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 02:08 PM

I'm more wondering about the little issues i have with ROF.

Long first-time loading, not able to save loadout/fuel/paintsheme, sensitivity settings (even though my FFB2 has solved most problems i have with this), other planes dropping their bombs/starting without bombs for an even dogfight, performance issues etc.

The fix of the sniper AI is pretty certain from what i've heard, but after one month of fighting against the AI, that isn't that much of a problem anymore. I still prefer a slightly more realistic "staggering" of the AIs difficulty settings (ace beeing much better than rookie).

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: MattM
Long first-time loading, not able to save loadout/fuel/paintsheme, sensitivity settings (even though my FFB2 has solved most problems i have with this), other planes dropping their bombs/starting without bombs for an even dogfight, performance issues etc.

The fix of the sniper AI is pretty certain from what i've heard, but after one month of fighting against the AI, that isn't that much of a problem anymore. I still prefer a slightly more realistic "staggering" of the AIs difficulty settings (ace beeing much better than rookie).

Exactly where I am with the game. I've learned how to handle the sniper AI and can fight even multiple ace AIs with a good chance of surviving. I have learned the mission editor well enough to make some great semi-historical missions - but I am exasperated by still having SE5as, Dolphins and SPADs go into dogfights carrying bombs. I hope they will add some simple fixes like this that will buy them a lot of goodwill.

Cheers,

NickM/RD

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 02:17 PM

Especially because the Camel also has this bomb carriage. Imagine Camels trying to dogfight german planes with full bomb load...
Posted By: Masaq

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 02:21 PM

I knew for a fact the Camel was coming this update and I knew it was gunna be sexy... but dear god, I wasn't expecting it to look that sweet!
Posted By: dreidecker

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 02:28 PM

Thx Rocket Dog.

Getting the sniper AI fixed would be enough to let me enjoy the QMB again. The stick centering is a tough issue to solve, I imagine. On most other "modern" sims it isn't an issue because trim can be used to obtain level-flight at stick-center. While it can become tiring fairly quickly, I've flown real patterns without ever spinning the trim from the 'takeoff' setting and can therefore appreciate the aspect of realism that NeoQB was after in the way they originally modeled the game....the only problem is that it only really works when you can FEEL your way around the stick.

My question to you is this: does a FFB stick emulate this feel or does it simply give you the means to program your way out of the matter, i.e. reset your center. From your post I am afraid it is the latter and would therefore be something I'd rather not pursue.

In any event the solution for NeoQB would be to set center/'trim' for level flight at max power. It is a compromise but one that maximizes the ability to aim and control the plane in combat commensurate with reality at the expense of the realism of of the model, in terms of feel, in other regimes of flight such as landing or takeoff. Most likely it would involve some compromise and development and is a tough prospect.
Posted By: Dunkers

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 02:55 PM

Well, those two were always on my shopping list. Been away with the HSFX upgrade for Il-2, but now I'm going to have to split my time once more.

Looking forward...

cheers
PS Thanks RD thumbsup
Posted By: Musicman

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 03:05 PM

I'm so happy the DR1 is finnally on it's way, I can't control myself! yeah
Posted By: TailFlamer

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 03:11 PM

Cursor hovering over the PayPal icon now, simply waiting for the release.

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 03:12 PM

dreidecker,

The RoF FFB control model makes the neutral point of the stick (i.e., the position where the motors are trying to centre it) lean forward of the upright position that a spring centred stick has. You don't have to programme anything, it's already done by RoF. The result is that you still have a nose-up pitch under high power and a nose-down pitch with power off, but it is much less of a problem than with a spring-centred stick.

With the SE5a, hands-off with a spring-centred stick gives about 10 degrees up-elevator. Hands off with a FFB stick gives 0 degrees up elevator. I found the SE5a to be almost unflyable with a springy stick, but it's very nicely balanced with an FFB one. I'd say it's pretty good and matches well with how I expect the real aircraft to fly - based on my experience in gliders.

Cheers,

RD.
Posted By: Dart

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 04:36 PM

Forget history - now we can re-create scenes from the movie Flyboys.

Red triplanes for everyone!

smile
Posted By: RedRiot77

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Dart
Forget history - now we can re-create scenes from the movie Flyboys.

Red triplanes for everyone!

smile

No! The most evil guy must have a black one. :)))))))
Posted By: knightgames

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Tvrdi
should I buy now ATI 5850 and shoot myself in the temple with a gun?

seriously, Im happy for you guys now....good news at last

I know you've had troubles with serious stutters, Tvrdi. I don't think mine were as bad but there were instances I did get them. I tried reinstalling my sound drivers and haven't had the stutters since (except for the pauses when an enemy spawns, but that's a different issue).

I'm sure you've tried everything, but I thought I'd toss this out just in case.
Posted By: jdbecks

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 05:43 PM

wow...they look really good...I cant wait for them to come out, they look really good
Posted By: Ming_EAF19

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 06:03 PM

The most evil guy must have a black one

Nice Smile2

He or she could have a special one-off skin only allowed for the pilot at the top of the World League scoreboard. Black with the white skull and crossbones yes and a ha-ha-ha-echoing sound effect in your cockpit when he shoots you down Smile2

Ming
Posted By: Catfish

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 06:09 PM

Hello,

nice, yes.
"... Beautiful looking 3D models.
No word yet on other content and fixes. ..."

Sigh.
I have seldomly seen an update celebrated in that way, that you have to pay for - or are those birds free ? What about single play and multiplayer issues ?

I know that sounds negative, but hell my teenage enthusiasm celebrating anything shiny and new on the market (and to hell with issues) has somehow changed.

Greetings,
Catfish
Posted By: Jimko

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 06:09 PM

Rejoicing! The Camel will be here soon, the one and only plane I really want and must have!
whoohoo
Hang on Snoopy, hang on!

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Ming_EAF19
The most evil guy must have a black one

Nice Smile2

He or she could have a special one-off skin only allowed for the pilot at the top of the World League scoreboard. Black with the white skull and crossbones yes and a ha-ha-ha-echoing sound effect in your cockpit when he shoots you down Smile2

Ming

Absolutely...and the modeled pilot to have a big scar with a permanent sneering smirk on his face!
Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 06:25 PM

I'll have videos of each for Monday.

Jason
Posted By: 2005AD

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 06:34 PM

I have been waiting to see what the next update brings in the hope that a lot is improved. The Camel and Dr.1 both look great, and will no doubt be very popular. Having said that, unless there are some major fixes and other updates I can't see me paying even the meager sum required. I have no need for extra payware aircraft in a sim that is so flawed in it's current state. No doubt i will keep an eye on how it evolves over the coming months.

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason

Good! I'm really looking forward to these two. Especially since I can now use the Mission Editor with basic proficiency.

Cheers,

RD.

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 06:53 PM

Any chance for the update notes also?

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 06:56 PM

2005AD,

I'm not sure what you mean by "Major Fixes". The sim works and I'm tired of the gloom and doom threads here.

A roadmap will be posted soon that will explain when some new features will come etc. A new feature is not a "fix".

Other than the stutters some people are complaining about, I don't see any show stopping "bugs" when I play with my friends.

I know people want certain new or different features like.

Replay
Dogfight Server
QMB
Manual for ME
Two-Seaters
RPG Elements in Campaign
Joystick Curves
Options available in Game
3rd Party Object Dev. SDK
etc..

All of this is being worked on. We're barely 120 days out from launch. neoqb has listened to forum posters, the publishers, beta testers and their own survey responses to formulate a plan for continued development. Some of this does not happen over night or in a couple weeks. The team is working very hard to give you what you want. If not already happy with your purchase and investment in ROF, your initial investment will be more than fulfilled in just a few more short months thanks to the hard work of the dev team.

Other sims go straight to vaporware. Others were DOA at launch, only to be saved by the community. Other sims were "ok" at launch and then re-launched and then improved over time to be a classic. Other sims are re-built every couple years and then re-sold for top dollar. ROF has not been abandoned by the developer, they are working hard to improve the already fun flying experience and they have listened closely to the community and are acting upon it.

Enjoy each new patch or feature that comes out, pick up a plane or two if so inclined and watch ROF mature and grow. If you own ROF, we pubs and the devs deeply appreciate your support and continued support.

Bottom line is that the "major fixes" I think 2500AD is referring too, takes time and they are on it.

More soon...

Jason
Posted By: MIG77

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 06:56 PM

As was stated in the 1.008 update news "As always, you will get detailed information about update 1.008 on the day when it becomes available for download.". So I think no wink

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 07:00 PM

They don't like promising things they don't know for sure are fixed or are reasonably sure are fixed. The beta testers and dev team work right up the last minute on the patches.

Jason
Posted By: Redcoat22

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 07:04 PM

unless it is released in Monday!!!

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 07:15 PM

Jason

.... you big tease! popcorn

Thanks J.
Posted By: 2005AD

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 07:18 PM

2005AD,

I'm not sure what you mean by "Major Fixes". The sim works and I'm tired of the gloom and doom threads here.

At least you accept that stuttering for the majority of users is a major fix.

Also the career needs work with the 5v2 problems that have plagued the sim since release. No reason to load a career because the same 5v2 scenario pops up with the sniper AI gunners if you do manage to get your enemy 2 seaters to trigger.

The sniper AI constitutes a major fix for a lot of users, it sure does for a very large number of people on this and the official forum.

These are the major fixes I was alluding to. Granted some of these issues may not be major problems to some but the stutters and the sniper AI are certainly very large problems for a majority. Contrary to what you claim the sim does not work in some if not the majority of peoples opinions. I appreciate that the constant negativity will be seen as tiresome by the developers/publishers but at least they are listening.

A roadmap will be posted soon that will explain when some new features will come etc. A new feature is not a "fix".

I look forward to seeing it. I already accept that the large updates to career and MP will take time.

Other than the stutters some people are complaining about, I don't see any show stopping "bugs" when I play with my friends.

Then I suggest you try fighting against the AI to see how the sniper gunners plague your SP experience.

Replay
Dogfight Server
QMB
Manual for ME
Two-Seaters
RPG Elements in Campaign
Joystick Curves
etc..

All of this is being worked on. We're barely 120 days out from launch. neoqb has listened to forum posters, the publishers, beta testers and their own survey responses to formulate a plan for continued development. Some of this does not happen over night or in a couple weeks. The team is working very hard to give you what you want. If not already happy with your purchase and investment in ROF, your initial investment will be more than fulfilled in just a few more short months thanks to the hard work of the dev team.

Other sims go straight to vaporware. Others were DOA at launch, only to be saved by the community. Other sims were "ok" at launch and then re-launched and then improved over time to be a classic. Other sims are re-built every couple years and then re-sold for top dollar. ROF has not been abandoned by the developer, they are working hard to improve the already fun flying experience and they have listened closely to the community and are acting upon it.

Enjoy each new patch or feature that comes out, pick up a plane or two if so inclined and watch ROF mature and grow. If you own ROF, we pubs and the devs deeply appreciate your support and continued support.

Bottom line is that the "major fixes" I think 2500AD is referring too, takes time and they are on it.

More soon...

Jason

I think the majority of RoF customers now accept it will take time to reach its potential. I am certain if it survives and flourishes even the most ardent of detractors will come to love it. I see the potential and wait with baited breath to see it evolve and mature.

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: 2005AD
At least you accept that stuttering for the majority of users is a major fix.

A majority means more than 50%

Evidence please.

Cheers,

RD.
Posted By: Hellbender

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 07:43 PM

*faints*

Hours later...

HOLY BLEEPING BLEEP!!

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 07:49 PM

Yes, a majority means over 50%. What you see here on the forums is a warped sense of reality, because the complaints are harped on over and over and over again by usually the same people. It makes it feel like the majority of users hate the sim or certain aspects of the sim. There is no evidence either way what the majority really thinks because not all customers chime in to say whay they feel.

For instance, I get emails all the time saying how much they like it and then I come here and get depressed and feel like we completely blew it.

What the dev does is they listen to the communities commetns and then they test for themselves to see if they are on to something. If it is clear it tot them that it detracts in some way they fix it.

As far as what the true majority feels or experiences, it's impossible to say exactly. But I guess on the internet you can say you speak for the majority at anytime and no one can really prove you wrong one way or another. Gotta love the internet because everything said on the internet is true right? LOL.

The sniper AI has been addressed. This has plagued many a flight-sim and tweaking it is par for the course.

They have also worked hard to fix the "stutters", but even there you have some murkyness, because what I see listed here as a "stutter" I call a "hiccup". I hate micro-stutters of the graphical kind. That's my beef. A random brief pause caused by loading a texture is not a big deal to me and I don't seem t experience them like others here. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Jason

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: womenfly2

Jason

Thanks J.

Watch it WF2. I'm single again. Don't like to tease. :-)

Jaon
Posted By: WWBrian

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 08:04 PM

Yeah WF2, he likes to tease with video...

...why, I remember a time when we were......*edited out for NDA*

...and I've YET to see the video!

hahaha

jus' teasin' Jas' WinkNGrin

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 08:08 PM

For instance, I get emails all the time saying how much they like it and then I come here and get depressed and feel like we completely blew it.

I wouldn't take forums like this too seriously. There are some thoughtful posters here with useful, constructive things to say, but there are also some who are really only just looking for a chance to be indignant over something. The sniper AI is a good example. It was introduced by accident in the last patch and the devs have said they will fix it in 1.008, due out next week. Total duration of dodgy AI = about four weeks. Even then, it didn't stop me enjoying RoF. It just terminated a few of my flights earlier than I expected. Not exactly the life-wrecking outrage some suggest.

Good parallel - I'm the head of a university dept in the UK (yes, really). Tonight I've just read some student comments in a questionnaire which make it sound like we have totally failed the undergraduates - everything is terrible. Yet in the UK National Student Survey, we have 95% of students saying they are satisfied or very satisfied with the course. It's always a mistake to confuse a vocal opinion with a majority one.

Any chance we can talk about the Dr I now, please?

Cheers,

RD.
Posted By: DoolittleRaider

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 08:08 PM

So...these two wonderful looking new aircraft are coming free with the patch??? That is quite an unexpected treat! Good for neoqb!!! thumbsup

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 08:09 PM

Jason

Thanks J.

Jaon

Hummmmmm .......

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 08:09 PM

They have also worked hard to fix the "stutters", but even there you have some murkyness, because what I see listed here as a "stutter" I call a "hiccup".

I know, many people who experience stutters just have slowdowns (probably caused by trashy system). But then again, some people do have really strange stutters caused only by ROF in certain situations (on my comp, they only exist in clear sky maps) and those stutters can only be fixed by NeoQb.

Anyway, it's good to hear that they tried to fix that. Also that brief pause if a plane comes into range is not really terrible or a game breaker for me at all, but it sure is unessary and could easily be fixed (by preloading planes and textures) and if the devs don't give us a reason why they don't wanna fix this, you have to wonder why. But maybe they've fixed this also (i heard something about a memory leak, they probably meant exactly this).

I hope the best for the coming update. And not a basher like some other people here, but i do expect that they improve ROF with the next update, because ROF has so much potential and i would love to keep supporting NeoQb.

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: DoolittleRaider
So...these two wonderful looking new aircraft are coming free with the patch??? That is quite an unexpected treat! Good for neoqb!!! thumbsup

Of course NOT..

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 08:39 PM

There are going to be SOOO MANY DR.Is and Camels in the servers, it's not funny! biggrin

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: WWBrian
There are going to be SOOO MANY DR.Is and Camels in the servers, it's not funny! biggrin

Yes, there's going to be quite a buzz (and lots more buzzing too). hahaha
Posted By: BlueRaven

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 09:09 PM

Holy poop on a stick, those almost look real.

Enough of you limey fog breathers and your camels. Prepare to face the wrath of The Blue Raven swooping down onto your tail.... er I mean turning tightly out of your way.... in his shiny new DR1!

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: DoolittleRaider

No they are not free to fly, but the A.I. will be there as always for free.

Jason

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 09:33 PM

LOL, maybe the US Air Force needs to make combat games now too, and give them away free.

Sorry, but no Fokkers included.

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: FlyRetired
Originally Posted By: WWBrian

Yes, there's going to be quite a buzz (and lots more buzzing too). hahaha

If Neoqb has the MvR skin for the DR.I, then ROF multiplayer is going to start looking an awful lot like Flyboys -- nutin' but red DR.Is everywhere! WinkNGrin

lol..I can see a Flyboys server...N17s and red DR1's only.... hahaha

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 09:38 PM

hehehe

Admin rules....will the real Red Baron please start smoking!

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 09:47 PM

AD, I keep reading about these "5 versus 2" campaign missions without any other enemies, but I'll be dipped if I can play any of them. All the campaign missions I've flown have had more than the two planes and the secondary targets on or near the waypoints to and from the objective.

Maybe the latest update improved the missions in the campaigns, or maybe it's a function of flying the NP17 campaign, but other stuff is in there (including trains and "extra" ground convoys).

In fact, I've taken to saving them, as they beg for replay:

http://www.darts-page.com/files/RoF_Campaign_Missions.zip

Just dump them in the data/missions folder of your RoF proggie folder.

The fickle Wheel of Fate can give one some unhistorical encounters (1918 planes in 1917), but invariably it's a kick in the pants to find one's flight of five Nieuports taking on four Pfalz and two Albs, all of which seem to start out higher than one's own flight!

I survived all these missions with kills on "full difficulty" minus the pre-warmed engine, so they're winnable. And difficult. Keep your head on a swivel and pay attention!

smile

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Dart
AD, I keep reading about these "5 versus 2" campaign missions without any other enemies, but I'll be dipped if I can play any of them. All the campaign missions I've flown have had more than the two planes and the secondary targets on or near the waypoints to and from the objective.

Maybe the latest update improved the missions in the campaigns, or maybe it's a function of flying the NP17 campaign, but other stuff is in there (including trains and "extra" ground convoys).

In fact, I've taken to saving them, as they beg for replay:

http://www.darts-page.com/files/RoF_Campaign_Missions.zip

Just dump them in the data/missions folder of your RoF proggie folder.

The fickle Wheel of Fate can give one some unhistorical encounters (1918 planes in 1917), but invariably it's a kick in the pants to find one's flight of five Nieuports taking on four Pfalz and two Albs, all of which seem to start out higher than one's own flight!

I survived all these missions with kills on "full difficulty" minus the pre-warmed engine, so they're winnable. And difficult. Keep your head on a swivel and pay attention!

smile

I haven' played the campaigns all that much, but I pretty much always had extra flights of planes, both friendly and enemy. Sometimes a furball would start, and more planes show up and enter it. I have also found at times there is too much ground activity going on along the front and I encounter slowdowns. These are on non ground attack missions too.
Posted By: PatrickAWilson

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 10:32 PM

I always liked Voss' DRI.
Posted By: HotTom

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 10:46 PM

2005AD,

Replay
Dogfight Server
QMB
Manual for ME
Two-Seaters
RPG Elements in Campaign
Joystick Curves
etc..

More soon...

Jason

Jason, like you, "I'm tired of the gloom and doom threads here" but there is a reason they are here and you are among the reasons for them.

Folks, keep in mind when you read this, Jason is like the guy at the car lot selling this sim ("What can I do to get you to drive it home today?") and his interests are not exactly the same as "Joe Sim Player." His primary interest is greed (on which our entire capitalistic system is based and we can all see where that got us in the past year).

It isn't so much that "we're barely 120 days out from launch" (as Jason says) but the fact that most of this should have been working properly at launch (that's the part he doesn't say).

They (including Jason as the publisher) shudda been "on it" before they "released it."

Clearly many of these problems were identified during the initial beta testing and not resolved before RoF hit the market as a retail product.

Jason is just laying down a smoke screen here. He's telling you what he wants you to believe. Like any salesman, he's "your new best friend."

I sincerely hope what Jason is saying is correct and accurate ("they're working very hard..." "your initial investment will be more than fulfilled in just a few short weeks....") but my BS Alarm is going off at very high volume with every sentence I read. Somebody is laying it on waaaay too thick....

Granted, the Camel and the DR1 look beautiful.

But all of ROF's planes look beautiful and (mostly) fly beautifully.

That's the primary reason I stick around. I really enjoy the models. They are, IMO, the best ever in any flight sim.

But the game play? Pretty sad.

"All of this is being worked on...."

I'll believe it when I see it.

And if I do see it, I will say "Thank you."

But not quite yet.

HT

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: PatrickAWilson

Agreed! thumbsup

...with a close second to Kempf

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: HotTom

Jason, like you, "I'm tired of the gloom and doom threads here" but there is a reason they are here and you are among the reasons for them.

Hey Tom,

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, this looks more like a justification attempt, or an excuse to make "doom and gloom" ok. I cannot subscribe to this line of thought.

Folks, keep in mind when you read this, Jason is like the guy at the car lot selling this sim ("What can I do to get you to drive it home today?") and his interests are not exactly the same as "Joe Sim Player." His primary interest is greed (on which our entire capitalistic system is based and we can all see where that got us in the past year).

So what you are saying here is something like:

Jason: "I need to make a quick buck, hey! I'll use ROF to take money from a small niche group, yeah! I'll make bank and be the next Bill Gates!"

...see how silly that sounds?

No, I see it more like this:

Jason: " Dude have you seen ROF? It's bad-ass! I want to get behind this and help in whatever way I can to get this out to the people!"

...wouldn't that make more sence? I mean, c'mon, really?

I mean, I understand how common it is for folks to automatically assume a game developer (as it's publishers) are all just money-grubbing capitalists who are all about the mighty dollar....but give it a rest, will ya? Jason has already proven that he's not that kinda' guy! Those profit-guys are not about going out of their way to help a single user once he has their cash! You need to lighten up and look at the entire picture here.

It isn't so much that "we're barely 120 days out from launch" (as Jason says) but the fact that most of this should have been working properly at launch (that's the part he doesn't say).

They (including Jason as the publisher) shudda been "on it" before they "released it."

And there are a myriad of explinations as to why it came out like it did...many of them have slivers of truth to them. But the fact remains that ROF is still 120 days released.... I have a better time drawing conclusion on facts rather than emtions and opinions on why it should or shouldn't be one way or another...

Clearly many of these problems were identified during the initial beta testing and not resolved before RoF hit the market as a retail product.

Identified, yes....but like anything else some things cannot meet deadlines (set by parties not in dev control) and must be addressed at a later date. Surely you can understand this concept, yes?

Jason is just laying down a smoke screen here. He's telling you what he wants you to believe. Like any salesman, he's "your new best friend."

This is unfair, and just your opinion!! I do not share in this opinion, and think you are crossing a line making judgments about things you know very little about ( no offence intended there - seriously)

I sincerely hope what Jason is saying is correct and accurate ("they're working very hard..." "your initial investment will be more than fulfilled in just a few short weeks....") but my BS Alarm is going off at very high volume with every sentence I read. Somebody is laying it on waaaay too thick....

And I too hope Jason is correct. But I am 99.9% certain that he is telling what he believes...and not blowing smoke up peoples' asses!

That's the primary reason I stick around. I really enjoy the models. They are, IMO, the best ever in any flight sim.

And if I do say it, I will say "Thank you."

But not quite yet.

HT

Well, I hope to hear that "Thank You" someday. What I recommend is a bit more (no, substantially more) patience. Not fixed in 120 days is understandable...not fixed after a good many months/years!? Then I'll come back to this post and agree with you 1000% Tom!

But Neoqb has a finite number of bodies working on the fixes. It sucks that it takes longer than a day or week to address and correct....but it just does! We all need to realise this and deal with it. Even if dealing with it means taking a break and coming back later. It's this daily discussion that makes it seem to take too long. But realistically, look at all that Neoqb has done in those 120 days, and how much of that is directly because of user feedback. You might be supprised.

Humbly submitted,

S!!

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: BlueRaven

Enough of you limey fog breathers and your camels. Prepare to face the wrath of The Blue Raven swooping down onto your tail.... er I mean turning tightly out of your way.... in his shiny new DR1!

Curse you, Red...er, I mean Blue Baron! Cuss

WinkNGrin

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: PatrickAWilson

I always like any none MvR skin. I mean, if you see pictures of let's say 100 Dr.1. How many are not from MvR, with it's distinctive red Dr.1. Maybe 10.

Kudos to NeoQb that they have not released screenshots of the Dr.1 with the MvR skin. I very much appreciate that.

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/23/09 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimko

Curse you, Red...er, I mean Blue Baron! Cuss

WinkNGrin

I'll get you and your little dog too!

On a side note, I don't see Neoqb and 777 as the the usual dev/pubs these days. Kinda remind me of the guys at Bohemia Interactive. I'm sure a few of you know the full story of the Operation Flashpoint and ARMA series.
When Operation Flashpoint was released in '01 there was nothing like it, however it was riddled with bugs. But BIS supported it, patched it, and listened to the customers.

Eventually Codemasters (The publisher) basically stole the Operation Flashpoint name to try and cash in on it later.
BIS developed the true sequels under the ARMA and ARMA II names, and what a fantastic game ARMA II is, even with the bugs, but BIS has a history of great support.

Now Codemasters has released Flashpoint 2, and it has turned out nowhere close to what they claimed it would be, and in no way competes with ARMA II. Flashpoint 2 is falling on it's face, and Codemaster's history is to dump a game and move on.

I've played BIS games for going on 9 years now, I've been there since the beginning of Operation Flashpoint and through both ARMAs. The begining of OFP reminds me of where we are at right now with ROF. I have faith in Neoqb, it takes time to get these kinda things sorted out.

If these niche gaming companies want to have any kind of future besides going bankrupt, they have to support their games and listen to the customers. They can't afford to just cash in and move on.
I seriously doubt that Jason and 777 picked ROF thinking they could cash in and make a quick buck.
Posted By: koala26

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/24/09 12:42 AM

As far as what the true majority feels or experiences, it's impossible to say exactly.

Yes, impossible to say exactly.

But the number of people playing online at any one time is a pretty good indicator.
Posted By: Pooch

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/24/09 12:42 AM

Pity the poor game developer. People are screaming at him to "release the damn game already!"
He releases it ,and they scream, "Why did you release this damn game before it was ready?"
Not perfect, yeah. But I'd rather have it now and have some fun while they're fixing it.
But, back on subject. Man are those two rotary engined beasts beautiful!
If I can't kill anything in the Camel, then I'm going to be forced to admit that I just plain suck!

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/24/09 01:24 AM

Quote:

Actually, Jason's more like the guy that sold you a car and then stands behind it, asking if it's okay and offering free service on it as well as free upgrades.

Capitalism is a good thing. Without capitalism, there wouldn't be a Rise of Flight simulation.

Hell, we wouldn't have a lot of simulations without the spread of capitalism. If Communism worked, we wouldn't have the IL-2 series, Black Shark, or Rise of Flight, as those programmers would have been doing other things in the USSR. Best Cold War peace dividend EVER.

So one could say where our entire capitalistic system got us in the past year is a damned fine WWI flight simulation.
Posted By: Sim

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/24/09 01:34 AM

Jason

Thanks J.

Jaon

Wait....are you joking? WTH happened?
Posted By: BuddyWoof

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/24/09 01:35 AM

That's super news! Awesome...finally my favorite tripe in the simulation.

btw - Thanks again Jason for bringing this superb simulation to us in the USA. Don't let the vocal negative minority get to you as I know there are plenty of folks here that are grateful for what we have now and what's to come. I for one do not have all the issues the same folks complain over and over about.

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/24/09 01:54 AM

[quote=BlueRaven
If these niche gaming companies want to have any kind of future besides going bankrupt, they have to support their games and listen to the customers. They can't afford to just cash in and move on.
I seriously doubt that Jason and 777 picked ROF thinking they could cash in and make a quick buck.
[/quote]

I've also thought the same thing about neoqb...at least I hope this is the case! I think that their strategy is to keep building and expanding on this first venture and the sense I get is that they are in it for the long (and hopefully very profitable) haul!
Posted By: JFM

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/24/09 03:55 AM

Hello,

Just a historical FYI, since I'm a "rivet counter": Voss never flew a Dr.I. He flew the pre-production F.I 103/17 and died some 11 days before the first Dr.I reached the front. Nearly the same plane, although it had different horizontal stabilizers, different engine cowl and no wingtip skids.

Based on the ROF Alb D.III(OAW) release, wouldn't surprise me to see a Voss skin on a Dr.I. It's "close enough" and I suspect most won't care about that historical detail, anyway. If a faux Voss skin is provided I wonder if it'll be olive green streaked over bleached linen; olive green streaked over light blue; and, regardless of either, whether it will have an olive green cowl or yellow cowl? If the skin is included, the choice will be interesting.

In any event, I sure hope the Jasta 18 triplane (if included) is vermillion red and white and not blue and white!

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/24/09 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Sim

Jason

Thanks J.

Jaon

Wait....are you joking? WTH happened?

Divorce is what happened Sim.

Jason

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/24/09 05:08 AM

Sorry to hear it.

At any rate, thanks for putting your money down on the spot marked RoF and watching the wheel spin. You earned the buck twenty five from my purchase of RoF, as I've gotten many hours of enjoyment from the sim without having to import it from Europe or the CIS myself.

And thanks for being one of the faces in a suit of the simulation. It would be very easy to say "I'm just the distributor for North America, guys; I don't actually work for neoqb, and the only people I work with is their marketing and distribution," and not take any of the heat you have.

Unless, of course, you actually speak and write in fluent Russian and have degrees in software engineering, physics, or visual arts.

If so, I have a short but very meaningful selection of things I think are vital to be placed at the top of the work priority list.

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/24/09 05:09 AM

2005AD,

Replay
Dogfight Server
QMB
Manual for ME
Two-Seaters
RPG Elements in Campaign
Joystick Curves
etc..

More soon...

Jason

And if I do see it, I will say "Thank you."

But not quite yet.

HT

HT,

Let's get one thing 150% straight. If you are going to quote me, get it right. My exact quote is as follows. "If not already happy with your purchase and investment in ROF, your initial investment will be more than fulfilled in just a few more short months thanks to the hard work of the dev team."

Why is it when I make a post about some inside info about what neoqb is working on turns into calling me a shill and I'm blowing smoke. I DARE you to find anything I have said to be purposely false or misleading or disingenuous. Give me a break. And while your at it look for over the top quotes from me that says ROF is perfect and the best sim ever. Find any supreme cheerleader quotes from me? If I was a car salesmen masquerading as a sim publisher that's what you'd find right?

I come here to share information, help people and carry on convs with a bunch of like minded simmers, I have been coming to SimHQ for over 12 years, both as a civilian and a proprietor. I remember back in the day whenever a publisher or developer would give the community some inside info everyone would be at a minimum simply grateful for the info. Now it's a game to try and find a way to shoot me down or the developer down and nit pick every single comment as false.

HT I challenge you to find the financing and then build your own sim and release it in absolute perfect condition with every feature possible included. That's my challenge to you my friend. Prove me wrong and show me that I and neoqb did such a terrible thing.

It's getting really, really tiring. We know what things you do and don't like about ROF. Endlessly second guessing neoqb and wanting answers about patches and then shooting the messenger when he gives you some answers is just plain dumb. All I was trying to do was tell you what is going on in a general way because an official announcement has not been made yet. Excuse me for trying to be positive. Should I not help neoqb announce this good news? Do you want me to only announce stuff via Press Releases? Do you not want me here? If the ad hominem atacks on my style of communication continues that how I will conduct business at SimHQ. I put my reputation on the line when I say stuff here. I mean what I say and only say what I believe to be the truth.

Mods close this thread please. I don't know why these discussions about simple things like new aircraft devolve into arguments like this.

This thread should not be about me. Only the Camel and Dr.1 which I know a lot of simmers were interested in seeing. This is the second thread that has gone in the toilet because people attack me when I bring inside news. I guess I should just stop doing it.

My apologies to those that feel compelled to defend me. I appreciate it, but when you do it only takes threads like this off course. Sorry to those that wanted to discuss the Fokker and Camel.

And don't give me the "Jason shows no respect to his customers because he argues with his customers" jazz either because I defended myself. Every company and individual has the right do so. I show you respect week after week by answering your questions, rewarding 3rd parties who help develop cool stuff and by sharing important information from neoqb. If I really was the "take the money and run type" don't you think I would literally take your money and NOT come here and instead resort to other impersonal means of communication?

And if you new how little I make off of this enterprise you'd probably not do it yourself. I do it because I like the hobby.

Jason

Re: Camel & DR I confirmed - with pictures in 1.008 - 10/24/09 05:21 AM

closed by request.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums