homepage

Poll - How many bought ROF?

Posted By: Sim

Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/20/09 09:34 PM

A quick poll about readers of this forum.
Posted By: Villicus

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/20/09 09:38 PM

And I will buy every aircraft they release.
Posted By: TailFlamer

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/20/09 10:02 PM

I bought ROF, but will not buy N17: YET
But I will later.
Posted By: -Avatar-

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/20/09 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: TailFlamer
I bought ROF, but will not buy N17: YET
But I will later.

Most likely +1
Posted By: Rodster

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/20/09 10:23 PM

I will not buy RoF until the makers of the sim revoke the stupid DRM. In fact DCS Black Shark is the last game I promised myself I will buy that uses intrusive DRM.
Posted By: Squid_Von_Torgar

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/20/09 10:29 PM

I bought it, and the N17, ill buy anything i can get my grubby hands on
Posted By: Speyer

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/20/09 10:33 PM

Your poll is missing some options.
'I will not buy RoF yet'
Posted By: Sturm_Williger

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/20/09 10:33 PM

I'll probably buy whatever they release.
Posted By: Para_Bellum

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/20/09 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Sturm_Williger

+1

yep
Posted By: WWBrian

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/20/09 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Villicus

I probably will too. Unless I really think I wont fly it...
Posted By: womenfly2

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/20/09 10:42 PM

I will use discretion and self-control in my purchases ........ Naaa!

Will buy 99% of the planes, so I must have purchased RoF.

Q; If they update a plane (FM, DM or add skins) on one purchased, will you get an update to it too?

Cheers,
WF2
Posted By: Bleddyn

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/20/09 10:46 PM

I would think the answer is Yes WF2. That is just my opinion, but it makes sense.

As for the poll, I bought the game and the N.17. I will probably buy all the planes they release. Even if I don't fly them much I want all the options.

What amazes me is that people who spend $300 or more on controllers for flight sims have an issue with $8 for a plane....

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/20/09 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: womenfly2
I will use discretion and self-control in my purchases ........ Naaa!

Will buy 99% of the planes, so I must have purchased RoF.

Q; If they update a plane (FM, DM or add skins) on one purchased, will you get an update to it too?

Cheers,
WF2

Yes. An example might be:

One day, you will lauch ROF, it says update, you download it.. and go fly, and viola'..it flies different.
Posted By: Dart

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/20/09 10:57 PM

Quote:

Yes, and automatically as soon as you fire up the sim!
Posted By: Carakanz

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/20/09 11:14 PM

I agree with JG52Uther. There needs to be an option "I have not bought RoF yet." Once the multiplayer portion is refined and the DRM is loosened for single player I will buy it.
Posted By: FlyingMonkey

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/20/09 11:41 PM

I've bought RoF, and I'll probably buy several more planes at the type of price they sell them! smile
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/20/09 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Carakanz
I agree with JG52Uther. There needs to be an option "I have not bought RoF yet." Once the multiplayer portion is refined and the DRM is loosened for single player I will buy it.

Ditto. I bought some songs from Walmart a few years ago that I can't play now because they turned their license servers off, so I'm hesitant to buy any software that relies on servers to run now.

RoF is a great looking game from the screenshots and videos I've seen, though, and I would buy it in a heartbeat otherwise.
Posted By: ZLwaddell

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Rodster
I will not buy RoF until the makers of the sim revoke the stupid DRM. In fact DCS Black Shark is the last game I promised myself I will buy that uses intrusive DRM.

Intrusive would be something like StarForce. This is just *slightly* annoying. Anyway, we've heard this already. There's a choice for ya in the poll: "I will not buy ROF". neaner They're not going to change that for ya' very soon (if at all) so have fun with another sim. banghead rolleyes
Posted By: J18_Weed

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 12:20 AM

I bought it but will only buy the Camel and Pup the rest will be strictly hun scouts and bombers ....The allied planes just do not do anything for me .
Posted By: Greentimbers

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 12:34 AM

S!

I have ROF and the N 17 (just bought it today). I will buy all aircraft that they make.
Posted By: Schultzy

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 12:49 AM

I bought ROF, I bought the N.17 this afternoon (nice and smooth transaction btw, nice job neoqb)and i'm already in line for the SE5a and the Pfalz.
Posted By: Buddye1

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 12:54 AM

I will not purchase any additional A/C until the game is patched to meet my expectations for a complete game.
Posted By: Counterman

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 01:25 AM

While I know someone is going to say "But it's challenging"; I have to comment regardless.

The N.17 is a 1916 era fighter. This game is currently balanced around late 1917 and 1918. I don't see the point in buying a plane when everything else fighting around it is more advanced. Perhaps once they update the game with patches and add more airplanes the N.17 will be an option. But until those two things happen my 7.62 is better spent other places.

I am curious why they decided to go with the N.17 instead of something that fits this time period better. Granted the SE5a is coming, but the SE5a or a Camel would have been a more fitting choice with what you are expected to dogfight against.
Posted By: Leaf85

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 01:29 AM

I've bought it, my son bought a copy, and I've got a few friends in Europe who are buying it as well. Trying to put our Squadron back together =)

As for the add-on planes, will probably purchase most eventually. Really enjoying this sim!
Posted By: catch

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 02:04 AM

I'm a geezer what likes these crates. Crivens ! I LUV 'em as a matter of fact. How could I resist !
Posted By: ArgonV

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 02:11 AM

For every aircraft you don't buy, I will buy two!

immelman

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Counterman
I am curious why they decided to go with the N.17 instead of something that fits this time period better. Granted the SE5a is coming, but the SE5a or a Camel would have been a more fitting choice with what you are expected to dogfight against.

Because the Russians leased the Nieuport 17 from the french in WW1. And since this is a Russian made WW1 flight sim... Well it stands to reason.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 02:17 AM

Agree fully that it is an odd choice. Even stranger when you still end up facing Fokker D.VIIs in 1917!

It is still quite serviceable against the DVa, but a couple quality pilots in D.VIIs will make you day bad fast. But hell, who needs to worry about fighters, it is attacking the two seaters that scares me in ROF!
Posted By: rabu

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 02:39 AM

Tried again to buy and got the same error message:
Due to authentification error we are unable to complete your Verified by VISA / 3-D Secure Secure Payment.

I followed Jason's advice yesterday and emailed Chronopay about the problem, but have heard nothing as of yet.
Posted By: ElAurens

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 02:45 AM

I of course purchased the sim and I did pick up the N 17.

However, until multi play is fixed, I'm done.

Why buy more stuff with no good place to fly them?
Posted By: heywooood

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 02:55 AM

well there is the entire Western Front...and an excellent mission builder and triggers and timers and lots of AI enemy aircraft, vehicles, balloons etc...

so much to do, so little time
Posted By: BuddyWoof

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Villicus

+1 Again.

Each of these planes are real gems to be savored.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 04:26 AM

Originally Posted By: heywooood
...and an excellent mission builder and triggers and timers

Glad you know how to use it. I sure cannot make heads or tails out of it.

Where is the online dogfight capability? The ability to join missions in progress?

The dozens of servers that should be up and running online by now?

Why can't I host from behind a router?

Why is there no in game chat?

Why do the clouds look like an illustration from a children's book?

Why do the planes bounce off the ground when you crash like they are made of rubber?

Sorry Gents, but the new is wearing off. The sim has a lot to recommend it, but if it isn't brought up to a realistically finished state soon, and I mean really soon, it's doomed in the market. Great FMs and 3D models are only one component of a successful flight simulation. The rest of the content has to be forthcoming, and soon, or this thing is toast.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 04:40 AM

Originally Posted By: ElAurens
[quote=heywooood] The rest of the content has to be forthcoming, and soon, or this thing is toast.

For you perhaps. But for die hard WW1 aviation nuts, not very likely old chap.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 04:44 AM

@ ElAurens: Admittedly the router issue needs to be fixed up and fast. Online dogfights, and the English ME manual also huge priorities. I don't however think it is close to dead in the water yet or soon. Once in the air this sim is giving alot of people what they haven't had before, they won't give up on that quickly. Sim crowds are different then game crowds that way I find.

(BTW, I am sure we have engaged in the IL-2 skies years upon years ago. Most of my online dogfighting was during the period between the Original IL-2, through IL-2 FB, then AEP I did very little, RL crap... so I do mean years ago lol, I would have been Arsenal in 401Sqn back then, you were probably shooting me down)

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 04:58 AM

Sorry old bean, but this is a product. It is currently an unfinished one.

I want it to succeed, I really do.

But there is a very small window of opportunity that neoqb has to get it off the ground, so to speak. The modded IL2 WW1 package is on the horizon, and if RoF cannot establish it's online credentials before that happens then the onliners, like myself will simply move on to a proven online commodity.

Right now I cannot fly with my squadmates in this sim. We grow impatient, the rest of our squad are holding off buying the sim because of the lack of multiplayer options. I don't care how good the AI are, and they are fairly good in RoF, nothing, and I mean nothing matches the challenge offered by facing human opponents.

And in all honesty, "die hard WW 1 aviation nuts" are not a large enough demographic to support any sim on their own.

Are you so called "die hards" so emotionally tied to the time frame that you will accept unfinished work if it has a few (very well modeled) biplanes in it, and little else?

You are hurting your own cause with behavior like that.

Cheerio, old boy.
Posted By: Blackdog_kt

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 05:09 AM

I think the poll is missing some options that would give a more accurate picture. I voted "didn't buy (unable to buy)" as it was the closest one, that is i'm unable to bring myself to a compromise with certain design decisions by Neoqb. It certainly would be interesting to see what holds people back from making a purchase, or more accurately, the % for each of the major gripes the "didn't buy" crowd has.

If a "gold" version is released at some point with more aircraft, working MP, a quality single player campaign and fully functional offline capability, i'll get it for sure. If not, well, i at least expect some of it to be there and will weigh the pros and cons again. For example, maybe the content remains poor but the online DRM is changed of vice versa, i would probably be willing to make a purchase.

I'm pretty much with ElAurens in this as far as the rest of it goes, i think his last post hit the nail on the head.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 05:31 AM

Ah I see. I need to whinge and complain and vent every 5 minutes and start calling everything toast when I don't get what I want when I want. Sounds virtuous.
Posted By: Fishingnut

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 05:40 AM

A bit skewed polling since people that didn't buy ROF most likely will not come into this forum. I only come out of curiosity whilst I await the next Maddox sim.
Posted By: franksvalli

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 06:44 AM

I bought ROF and will buy all the planes.. eventually. Don't have a proper rig to play right now frown
Posted By: 2005AD

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 07:28 AM

Originally Posted By: catch

Ah I see. I need to whinge and complain and vent every 5 minutes and start calling everything toast when I don't get what I want when I want. Sounds virtuous.

If people sit around quietly, not voicing concerns, issues and ways to improve RoF how are the developers meant to know there are things that need improved/fixed? I never understood the attitude many simmers adopt when they perceive their new favourite sim is being attacked.

How is the single player aspect of Rise of Flight? My main area of interest is single player campaigns. In Rise of Flight the single player campaingn is totally worthless. No sense of belonging to a escadrille, squadron or jasta. No pilot rosters or kill boards. Almost totally unpopulated world, where are the farms, why are there no hedges or livestock etc. Why when you fly off your waypoint routes do you get absolutely zero signs of life or no signs of inantry military transport/infrastructure. Why in the campaign missions I have flown has there never been more than two enemy scouts to fight. Where are the random flights going about their own part of the war. Single player in RoF is so poor that I had to go online MP to get some fun.

How is the MP aspect of RoF? Right now there is nothing substantial for the online MP community in Rise of Flight. The MP component is extremely lacking and is in need of fixing ASAP. Eveytime I go online there are no more than 3 servers with a handfull of people. Add to this the fact that there is only a small window of opportunity to actualy join a server, along with the fact that even the small task of changing sides is a massive chore.

So right now we have a poor career mode and a poor MP mode. You can throw all the planes you want at RoF but it will grow boring very quickly flying them around with not much to do frown

Having said that I will continue buying the planes to support Neoqb so they can get a continuous stream of income to keep developing and improving what I believe is a stunning core WWI sim. Great FM, good graphics, great DM. The fundamentals are there, it is time Neoqb added the rest.
Posted By: Dunkers

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 09:23 AM

I will only buy the aircraft that interest me - not because of finances, merely that I will never have time to learn how to fly everything properly. Even after all these years of continuous flying there are still planes in IL-2 that I've never touched.

cheers

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 10:22 AM

Originally Posted By: dunkelgrun
I will only buy the aircraft that interest me - not because of finances, merely that I will never have time to learn how to fly everything properly. Even after all these years of continuous flying there are still planes in IL-2 that I've never touched.

cheers

To be honest I expect that in a few months we will have a much clearer idea of where the developers are taking Rise of Flight. By then I can ammend my stance on wether it is worth supporting the sim with future purchases. If they plan to overhaul the single player campaign then I will be delighted to support the sim financialy by purchasing the updates/addons. If there are no plans to significantly enhance the single player career mode then my interest is zero.

- Proper squadron/pilot rosters
- Proper individual squadron skins
- Killboards
- News updates on how the war is progressing
- Transers
- New aircraft to be introduced as the war progresses
- Dynamic populated world
- Aerodromes have proper squarons flying random believable flights
- Troop and equipment transports and trains moving around the map
- Add some MG nests along the front to deter over adventurous pilots getting too close

These things are not impossible to do, most of them were in RB3D over a decade ago.
Posted By: Speyer

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 10:25 AM

El (and others) speak much sense.I can get over the 'online to play' thing,just about,but the lack of content just now makes it a non starter for me.At the very least,the online aspect (dogfight and coop) should have been 100% sorted before release.
Posted By: Ming_EAF19

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 10:33 AM

Polls are so very naff.

Ming
Posted By: Feathered_IV

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 10:57 AM

They missesd a category: Delayed buying addon content until slush fund can be created, away from wifes prying eyes...
Posted By: pixelbaron

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 11:36 AM

Originally Posted By: 2005AD
If people sit around quietly, not voicing concerns, issues and ways to improve RoF how are the developers meant to know there are things that need improved/fixed? I never understood the attitude many simmers adopt when they perceive their new favourite sim is being attacked.

But people haven't been sitting around quietly. There are plenty of threads here, on other forums, and on the official neoqb forums that have mentioned everything in your post and more.

I don't recall sitting in the back of the car and saying, "Are we there yet?" every two minutes getting us there any faster as a kid, but you apparently disagree.
Posted By: Chef

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 11:37 AM

I'm still sitting on the fence about purchasing RoF. I'll probably end up purchasing it though.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishingnut
A bit skewed polling since people that didn't buy ROF most likely will not come into this forum. I only come out of curiosity whilst I await the next Maddox sim.

Are you kidding? Half the readership of this forum doesn't have the sim, won't ever buy the sim, thinks it sucks compared to [insert another sim], and is simply waiting for the tiniest of reasons to tell us all about it one more time!

I honestly don't know how they find the time and energy. Lots of sims on SimHQ that I don't own due to some reason or other - like jet sims, which IMHO aren't really flight sims (they're electronics bins) - but I don't populate those forums and preach to everyone why it is I don't care for that sim (and why the IL-2 series/RoF/Black Shark is sooooo much better.

It's as though it's a really bad thing to enjoy this sim to these people, and they simply can't stand that anyone is enjoying it instead of their preferred sim.
Posted By: J18_Weed

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 02:57 PM

"It's as though it's a really bad thing to enjoy this sim to these people, and they simply can't stand that anyone is enjoying it instead of their preferred sim."

Its because its getting boring pretty fast due to the lack of content and the lifelessness in it...

"Half these people " You took a poll ?

"I honestly don't know how they find the time and energy."
Thats right you don't .

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 02:58 PM

Came in to vote that I bought the sim now it's arrived, one tries to be fair Smile2

This must be the stupidest poll I've seen since er, the last one

Ming

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: pixelbaron
But people haven't been sitting around quietly. There are plenty of threads here, on other forums, and on the official neoqb forums that have mentioned everything in your post and more.

I don't recall sitting in the back of the car and saying, "Are we there yet?" every two minutes getting us there any faster as a kid, but you apparently disagree.

The more individuals who state their concerns and say "this isn't good enough" the more chance someone will take notice. One concerned person can be ignored and written of as a complainer. If the majority voice their concerns it is far more likely to be seen as a minor issue. The very fact that so many posts have been created agreeing with my requests is an indication that a large percentage of people want to see improvements.

Now please stop trying to compare myself and the many MANY other concerned users with little whiney children. We are grown rational adults who would like to see some actual tangible improvements in RoF. Personaly I will keep asking for improvements as long as I feel this sim needs them. It's called constructive critism.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: 2005AD
The very fact that so many posts have been created agreeing with my requests is an indication that a large percentage of people want to see improvements.

If you've made that observation then I am surprised you haven't connected the dots and realized that it might be time to give it a rest, because you're preaching to the choir, or are you just looking for a pat on the back?

The game has been released for nearly a month now in North America and the campaign and multiplayer issues have been at the forefront when it comes to criticism here, and everywhere else. At this point I don't think the criticisms and suggestions have somehow slipped through the cracks, it's just a matter of waiting to see how the developers handle the situation.

But, I guess the only rational thing to do as adults is remind them every five minutes: "Career mode sucks. Career mode sucks. Career mode sucks."

Or: "If multiplayer isn't fixed NOW this game is toast! I am going to take my toys and go home!"
Posted By: Brutal_Baron

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 04:01 PM

The ROF sim is a very good sim as a "work in progress" and I am confident the majority of issues or "bugs" already expressed will be resolved wiithin the next month. I don't recall purchasing ANY game that didn't have numerous bugs with follow-up patches to get problems corrected. In my view THE single biggest priority that will make ths game a "keeper" with existing players and potential customers is to quickly provide easy access to dedicated servers for multiplayer.
Posted By: Buddye1

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 04:15 PM

I am also enjoying the ROF's dog fighting. It is fun and a challenge and the A/C and landscape look super to me.

My issue (for me anyway) has always been that I contracted for a complete game when I purchased ROF so I feel cheated.

I still think the following should be completed to complete the contract.

1. MP completed
2. Campaign completed
3. Documentation of Mission Builder

I will purchase new A/C when I feel the contract is complete.
Posted By: FlyRetired

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 04:34 PM

Well polls, you can believe their results or not.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 04:43 PM

The only thing missing is someone to bring up OFF, and the RoF bashing by the usual suspects will be complete.

As a moderator, I get to read every flipping thread and every post. It's not as cool as it seems it would be, particularly since I don't get paid for it.

It certainly seems like half the posting members in the RoF forum at any one time don't have the sim, won't buy the sim, and yet still insist on posting about why it is they aren't buying it.

Sheesh, we got it, okay? Why do the same people have to butt in on every thread to explain to us why they don't want to buy the sim? What possible value does that have to the forums?

Heck, I like RoF quite a bit - but that doesn't mean I don't think it's without faults, both large and small. It's been stipulated over and over again by folks who actually own the sim and like the sim that it's not perfect.

And yet there is a cadre of members who feel it is their duty to ensure that every thread they can wiggle into includes why it is they aren't buying the sim. What's the point? It's like having a bunch of stalkers creeping after the poor simulation, threatening and harrassing the poor girl.

[edit]

Similarly, there have been sims I've bought but particularly didn't care for. LOMAC is one that simply left me cold. Yet I don't go into the LOMAC forum and trash on the sim. It wasn't my cup of tea; okay. Why go over there and heap abuse on it?

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 04:47 PM

I find it very ironic that the only person acting childishly on this thread is you. The insulting "grow up" tone of your posting is puerile, pointless and confrontational. It gets us nowhere fast. Your whole argument lies with the irrational premise that if you "shut up they will fix it". I can see you have no real world experience in how to get things done. It is a simple fact in ALL aspects of retail that if enough people don't raise issues the developer/provider/seller will NOT know there is a problem. I have done simulation software work in the past and if everyone were to adopt your attitude then we would have had no idea things were broken and they would never get fixed. I can assure you if we only read one or two similar requests from a single person then that request is generally ignored. If on the other hand many people express the same request/concerns/issues then we will look into making changes very quickly.

The fact is that Rise of Flight has been released since early May to the Russian market. It has been released for over two months and still MP is massively broken. Also the single player career mode is appallingly badly implemented. If you honestly think I will stop posting my concerns and requests because it upsets you, you can think again. If on the other hand you are a developer from Neoqb and you can assure us that MP and the single player aspect of Rise of Flight will be massively updated then I will stop posting my requests for said update. Otherwise I suggest you put me on your ignore list.

Thanks
Posted By: zcaa0g

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 04:52 PM

Did someone say O.F.F.? *duck* biggrin

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 04:53 PM

Obviously 2005AD, some of us think your judge of character is as bad as your judgement of sims.

And Dart, you should be paid! hahaha

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: FlyRetired
Well polls, you can believe their results or not.

biggrin

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 04:58 PM

Pretty good returns on your poll so far Sim (lets watch to see if it gets any bigger). biggrin

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 04:59 PM

Dart, I did purchase the sim. I've been flying it almost every night since I took delivery.

I am quickly reaching the end of what it has to offer me at this point in time.

You must agree that the sim needs fixing. How can anyone say otherwise?

Offline is boring and online simply does not exist in any measurable way. I'm getting that feeling that I purchased a $40 drink coaster. Are the developers aware of why we are here posting about this? Do they even care? How would we know, even on their "official" forum nothing is said about problems, most are dealt with by a couple of dedicated players and not the developers themselves.

This is no way to run a business.

I have stated that I want RoF to succeed, and I do. But some indication that they are even paying attention to the glaring issues is needed here.

Not more fanboi replys from folks willing to settle for dregs.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 05:13 PM

Content additions, updates, and fixes are part of the process.

You either wait, or you wait?

No amount of name calling or demanding face time from the designers is going to alter the process.
Posted By: Kankkis

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 05:13 PM

I buy all what they release, i support that game 100%, it's so great sim.

Kankkis
Posted By: Master

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 05:15 PM

I've been flying it almost every night since I took delivery.

I'm getting that feeling that I purchased a $40 drink coaster.

So you have played the game almost every day for a month but you think it is only worth the price of a drink coaster. Somehow a picture of you twirling a drink coaster and making plane sounds for a month pops into my head. Either you spend way too much time playing with drink coasters or you are exaggerating the worthlessness of a game you have played almost every day for a month.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: FlyRetired
Obviously 2005AD, some of us think your judge of character is as bad as your judgement of sims.

Can you honestly state that in its current state the MP and SP career aspects of Rise of Flight are any good? Also I have publicly stated that I think RoF is a technically amazing sim with regards FM/DM physics etc. (second to none in fact). It is the actual content that needs addressed badly. I hope Neoqb find success with RoF so these updates will be forthcoming.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 05:28 PM

Actually, I rather like the single player aspects of the sim, so I'd put it at way past "any" good and right into "pretty damned" good.

Quote:
Your whole argument lies with the irrational premise that if you "shut up they will fix it".

Actually my argument lies with the premise that continuously griping about city hall from the next town over isn't productive; similarly, going to another town's city hall and lecturing them on what the residents should do (for those who go out of their way to tell us why they aren't buying the sim) is just poor form.

I won't ever buy a Dodge truck. Does that mean I should visit forums about Dodge trucks and tell them all about why I won't buy a Dodge truck? Particularly if the reason that I won't buy a Dodge is because it's a Chrysler product? Some might think it's silly, but none would ever convince me to purchase any Chrysler vehicle.

Bonus: I could then start a bunch of threads comparing Ford trucks to Dodge, and then refer people over to the Ford forums!

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishingnut

Funny that you mention it, as i too was looking forward to RoF to keep me busy while BoB:SoW gets finished. After a while i started liking what i saw very much, to the point that i went ahead and got a new PC. A little afterwards the controversial issues popped up and i changed my mind again.

In any case the whole controversy succeeded in what the game didn't do for me, it served as a means to kill some of my computer allocated time until the September mark set by Oleg Maddox for the release of ingame BoB:SoW media. It's the middle of the Greek summer and i'm happily sipping beer and travelling to the beaches on weekends, plus i'll have my hands pretty much full come late August, so it filled the time gaps pretty well rofl

The nice thing about it all is that i no longer have to argue it out with people who dismiss my posts on the simple premise that i didn't buy the sim. There are now plenty of RoF owners who bring up the same concerns i had all along and these can't be dimsissed that easily. That's good for eveyone in the long run, the more faults and omissions that get spotted, fixed or expanded on the better.

I can concede that this might also be annoying to some but if people are free to talk about how they are really enjoying the sim, i don't see what their problem is with the other portion of the customer base saying how they are not enjoying it to the same degree. It's the guy who feels something is amiss that's bound to do the most talking trying to raise attention to what he finds lacking. If one enjoys the sim, other people's opinions have no bearing whatsoever because he's already satisfied. I mean, these people are happy with what they've got and they are free to sing their praises. Since they are happy, why should they even care what the critical portion of the customer base has to say? To insinuate that negative opinions or mention of shortcomings is raining on the happy camper's parade is to admit that something is amiss but one is trying to bury their head in the sand and ignore it, but all the critics are ruining their suspension of disbelief. Maybe i'm wrong, but at least that's the way it seems.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 05:35 PM

You seem to think that you and a handful of other people are the only ones that have brought up that the career mode is lifeless and uninteresting and that multiplayer isn't working how it should, when in fact these issues have been the major points of criticism directed towards Rise of Flight by almost everyone since the North American release.

Suggestions on how to improve these issues and bug reports have been posted on their official forums, on these forums, and on other forums by many people, including myself. Some have even gotten responses from the developers. Yet you still hinge your argument on the premise that, "If people don't speak out, nothing will ever be done about it!" News flash, people have been speaking out about it quite vocally since the game was released.

Riding in on your wooden hobby horse trying to paint yourself as some kind of white knight with concerns about the career and multiplayer might have been conducive to development weeks ago but now it's just getting stale.

And don't worry I never once considered you'd refrain from posting about it.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 05:38 PM

My poll has been hijacked. Anyhow - here's a little addition to hijacking; a patch is scheduled for release this week.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 05:46 PM

The problem, Blackdog, is that you put people into two boxes: those that see fault with the simulation, and those that enjoy the simulation. As if they're mutually exclusive.

It's not "raining on my parade" when someone points out a fault in the simulation; it does piss me off when someone who doesn't own the sim and states he won't ever buy the sim writes as though he has any sort of real credibility on the substance of the sim.

ElAurens makes points that I may not agree with entirely (I'm a little longer until the boring point), but at least he writes from experience with the simulation.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 05:48 PM

Honestly, I have a good understanding of how this sim came to be 2005AD, and have acquired a confidence in the design team behind it.

I've also enjoyed sharing my enjoyment about it with others here too, but always with an understanding and knowledge of additional work planned for improvements to it.

ROF is not the same sim as it was released in Russia, it is not the same sim now as recently released in N. America, and it will not be the same sim in the future.

Draw a dot, and connect a line, but if you're wanting to put your own period to the end of this project, you can't, because its growth will continue.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Sim
My poll has been hijacked. Anyhow - here's a little addition to hijacking; a patch is scheduled for release this week.

Good to hear about a possible patch coming Sim.

Now lets bring your thread's poll back front and center again! Smile2

Posted By: Sunchaser

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 06:01 PM

Dart, relax, life's too short.

Many of the negative posts regarding ROF take issue with the DRM and/or the state of the gameplay.

They are from people who are interested in the game, not from people who are not interested in the time period (you with jets) or the game itself. (you with LOMAC)

From what I can see looking around the web, SimHQ and the ROF forums are the primary discussion points for this game and the ROF boards are a maze easily lost in.

As is the case here but more surprising over there, the lack of input from neoqb people on their own forums shows either disdain for the issues brought up or too much dependence on its beta testers,, some of whom seem to be neoqb representatives there and here, to hold the fort.

I am sure some here who are not so ardent supporters of ROF as you or "the usual suspects" also tire of the, pardon the paraphrase, "cadre of members who feel it is their duty to ensure that every thread they can wiggle into includes why it is they are buying the sim.

Is it SimHQ intent to limit dissent regarding ROF?

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Sunchaser
As is the case here but more surprising over there, the lack of input from neoqb people on their own forums shows either disdain for the issues brought up or too much dependence on its beta testers,, some of whom seem to be neoqb representatives there and here, to hold the fort.

To help connect the dots, shall we add some options?

Actually, Neoqb is much more engaged in the actual work process, rather than endlessly explaining how the process of working actually works.

It's not too hard to understand though, as we have seen automatic patch updates come from the neoqb people, and free add-on content seamlessly applied, and now the online store is open for business.

We'll be available here to explain how the process of the sim's updating actually works, as it has, and will continue to work.
Posted By: Squid_Von_Torgar

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 06:30 PM

Quote:

Seriously? Where did you hear that sim?

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 06:32 PM

"Actually, Neoqb is much more engaged in the actual work process, rather than endlessly explaining how the process of working actually works."

FlyRetired, had Neoqb been much more engaged in the actual work process before they released a work in progress, which all seem to agree it is, perhaps there would be less tumult in ROFLAND.

I do see that neoqb are being urged to revise their boards to make them a bit easier to wander through, that is a plus.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Squid_Von_Torgar
Quote:

Seriously? Where did you hear that sim?

I simply just asked a dev. biggrin

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 07:22 PM

I would like to say I like this sim a lot...

SO GO POLL YOURSELF!!!

wink

right
Posted By: JagerNeun

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 07:38 PM

So far I like the sim alot and I get the feeling that this is going to be a work in progress. It's great to have another FS on the HD again. If it stays as long as IL2 did, it's going to be here an awful long time.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 07:45 PM

LOL, they didn't depend too much on beta testers! I know I felt like I was just typing stuff on their forums to read my own writing at times....which is what happens in a beta, I guess. Testers see stuff, report it or make suggestions, and the developers read it and either include or discard the recommendations.

I think lots of folks will be suprised to read the review of RoF that's scheduled to come out in a few days (it was delayed due to unforseen events with one of the reviewers - it's an ensemble sort of thing to give a wide spectrum of opinions), especially my portions.

I wish it would hurry up and get published; many of my points are being made by the "anti" crowd almost verbatim and it'll look like I stole their text!

To me, the sim is very much baby-in-the-bathwater; lots of dirty water that needs replaced, but at the end of the day I find myself firing up RoF and just melting into the WWI goodness of plane and environment. The darned thing is addictive, IMHO; the planes, the weather effects, the look are all just right to me.

She's the pretty girl that didn't make the cheerleader squad by one cut and didn't really mind because it might interfere with participation in the science club; awful pretty and really smart. Maybe a little naive and needing some life experience, but simply a joy to be around.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 08:16 PM

Good one Dart, hope the baby does not go out with the bathwater.

Well, I need to clarify that a bit....I hope(I know, forget it) that the DRM goes out with the rest of the dirty bathwater.

ROF, if it fails could possibly be likened to the Tucker, way ahead of its time and not one of the big boys.

WTH is a "Tucker"?
"The 1948 Tucker Sedan or Tucker '48 Sedan (also nicknamed the Tucker Torpedo) was an advanced automobile conceived by Preston Tucker and briefly produced in Chicago in 1948. Only 51 cars were made before the company folded on March 3, 1949, due to negative publicity initiated by the Big Three."

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Dart
She's the pretty girl that didn't make the cheerleader squad by one cut and didn't really mind because it might interfere with participation in the science club; awful pretty and really smart. Maybe a little naive and needing some life experience, but simply a joy to be around.

She's the pretty, hard-working girl, and smart beyond her years, but with a few older sisters telling her she could never become royalty.

Thing is, she's actually the hottest thing in town.

Down boys, because we all know how much you want to be hanging out with her! hahaha
Posted By: Master

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 08:55 PM

The ugly ones put out more...

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 09:06 PM

LOL!

Well be sure you're wearing a Stalhelm to protect that Pickelhaube, and enjoy that little Heinie.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 09:38 PM

hahaha

We need a spitting on the monitor "smiley."

Classic.
Posted By: SimonC

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 09:53 PM

"ElAurens makes points that I may not agree with entirely (I'm a little longer until the boring point), but at least he writes from experience with the simulation."

I suspect that some people reading this thread - well, me at least - are quite grateful for warts and all reporting from gentlemen like ElAurens.

I would like ROF to be a success, but I simply don't think that it's worth taking a punt on in its present condition. There seem to be enough posters here who own ROF who reprise the same criticisms to persuade me that my money is better kept in my back pocket until such time as the game matures.

I'm happy for other players of the game to support the ongoing work by the authors if that's their wish, since it means that if ROF survives as a game, it will probably have matured into something rather more substantial than is currently available.

Hence, I would have liked to seen another category in the poll. Something like: "Not bought it yet; waiting to see whether it's worth it in the longer term, see you next year".
Posted By: JohnnyBoy

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 10:07 PM

I haven't bought it yet.
I am waiting till they sort out the single player campaign.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 10:16 PM

Sounds perfectly aok Gentlemen, as that's what critical judgement involves, and certainly what Neoqb and ROF's publishers would expect.

Buy on the merits, and not on the hype.

The sim ought to be expanded and have new features to consider then also.
Posted By: SimonC

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 10:23 PM

"The sim ought to be expanded and have new features to consider then also."

When it does, I'll consider buying it, although the necessity to remain online for SP I find baffling.
Posted By: Koriel

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Rodster

I Love flightsims.

I will buy most of not all flightsims that get released, and as long as Rof can keep my attention I will keep on buying their addon planes.

I really love the way they have setup their product licensing. Apart from the risk of not being able to log in to their servers ( bound to happen sooner or later ) I can't really see any problems it.

I do have a problem with the sorry state they dared to release this product. Crappy controls setup, options in game don't work, MP is crap, no way to record flights, In game chat.. You name it, and it's poorly implemented. The only thing they got right is the sim itself. And that's why I keep on playing it.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/21/09 11:58 PM

Dart, thank you for your comments.

I reiterate, I dearly want RoF to succeed and to surpass my expactations. The moments of brilliance I've seen so far have been wonderful. But they are just moments, not a unified whole.

I hope that the upcoming patch and new content will fill the gaps in what could be a classic of the flight sim genre. Rof could become as reknown as IL2 is today, I honestly believe that. The sim has that much potential. My flying so far tells me that.

But, if things drag out, and don't improve, don't expect me to sit back and say nothing. That is the path of mediocrity. And we have enough of that in the world, thank you very much.
Posted By: heywooood

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/22/09 12:23 AM

I agree with most people that say that it would have been better for neoqb to have developed some more of the online architecture as well as the offline campaigns - and the GUI a little further before releasing RoF. Ofcourse.

But they addressed that in their open letter at the top of this page - large sums of money had been spent and revenue was needed to continue development. They had to release it and go with the WIP method to finance the rest of their project. Unfortunately, I think the language barrier hurt them in this regard as so many questions arose from the incomplete instructions and GUI references and help was difficult to come by initially.

Saying we would like it to be perfect right out of the box is easy...making it perfect right out of the box is impossible with a project this complex.

I have understood from reading the posts of their developers on the RoF boards that they ARE reading these threads and looking through the most popular flightsim forums - not just their own - for feedback.

Posting about whatever you would like to see improved is one thing -and maybe it will be addressed. But just railing about what is missing and complaining about how you feel cheated is another.

I hope this company thrives - and I hope it happens sooner than later. But good things take time and even Il2 needed major overhauls after initial release to get to its full potential.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/22/09 12:38 AM

Like I said before, IL2's multiplayer worked out of the gate. And it was fun.

I hope RoF achieves this, and soon.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/22/09 01:51 AM

The whole NAT issue is enough to make one weep, isn't it?

That and one other critical feature that I suggest in my review (no spoilers) would make it come to the fore.

The height of irony is that the sim was very much hinted at being multi-player centric in development but worked out to be almost entirely single player at release.

Once it gets sorted, I'll probably buy a second copy and run a dedicated server - after I beg some mission makers to work up coops that are more than aerodromes within spitting distance.

I haven't the time now to dig in and learn the FMB, but I definately have some mission ideas I'd like to see worked up.
Posted By: Laser

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/22/09 02:09 AM

Once it gets sorted, I'll probably buy a second copy and run a dedicated server - after I beg some mission makers to work up coops that are more than aerodromes within spitting distance.

On the RoF forum i saw that people who want to host a dedicated server may receive a special account just for running the server. Worth checking i think

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/22/09 02:38 AM

I hope so! I guess I'll pop over and take a look.

I'm not very good at doing more than occasionally lurking an official site, as they tend to be out of control - either anarchy or totalitarian.

There are a few exceptions, of course. ED's forums are good for a helping hand; and since I haven't been on Neoqb's for a few weeks, I'm hoping they've sorted out some of the glitches in their forums.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/22/09 02:42 AM

Well, i never said i don't intend to get it and i never said liking it and finding fault with it is mutually exclusive. As for the much touted hands on experience, that is something you need when you want to comment on actual gameplay variables and not design decisions. I never commented on the accuracy of the flight models or the feel of flight, did i now?

And truth be told, according to my personal taste there's a whole lot of design decisions that suck donkey you-know-what. I don't need hands on experience to know the DRM is stupid or the host of initial technical troubles some people faced, i just need to be able to read the tech support forums, the features and compare to previous experience with other games. Discarding everything that comes from a prospective buyer (believe it or not, that's my group) as nonsense based solely on the premise of lack of ownership of the game, is the kind of logic one expects to find in a religious cult. It reminds me of my teen years listening to Iron Maiden, there was a song called "hole smoke" that opened with "believe in me and send us money". Well, i'm past that. When there's a product that works according to my standards and includes features i find tasteful i will gladly chip in and tout the horn about how great it is, but that is a decision of personal taste both for me and for eveyone else involved.

Of course, each one is entitled to their own opinion and i don't expect everyone to agree with me, just as i don't find it reasonable for me to agree with them on the silly principle that the slightest amount of dissent is harmful for the genre. It's the disagreement and strife that propels anything forward, much like Heracletus thought when he said "war is the father of everything".

To give credit where it's due though, it was quite reassuring of Neoqb to man up and say "we ran out of money and had to release a half finished game or completely scrap it", because that's what the open letter translates too.

The last couple of pages i more or less agree with, it's a level headed take on the situation as a whole. The rest of it is simply a matter of personal taste for everyone involved. When the review comes up and if they ever get around to releasing a demo, it will be time for me to reeavaluate the situation. I don't expect everything i don't like to be changed according to my taste, having half of my wishlist materialise would be good enough for me to seriously consider a purchase. The rest is just some "bad blood" (for lack of a better suited expression) between me and some forum members because i call them as i see them and they don't like my point of view. Percetly understandable and nothing to fret about really, i always enjoy some quality forum rhetotics and i believe they do as well, otherwise they wouldn't reply to me.

If you want an honest take on things from my end, this is the one thing you can take home. I want the business and DRM model to change (fail is too harsh a word, let's just say i want it to prove insufficient) while both RoF and Neoqb flourish thanks to pursuing a different road. That road will surely not come now, as Neoqb seems to be strapped for cash and are trying to simply save the project, but after a few months of milking the initial buyers and securing the viability of the company it becomes a not so far fetched possibility. That's my cue to jump in. Until then, i'm perfectly happy with my modded IL2.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/22/09 04:47 AM

That's the million ruble question - when does the time hack for the bulk of piracy pass? That's what the CP of DRM is for: to get any bit of software "past the hump" of intial sales and popularity, when the bulk of piracy happens.

I stand by my Christmas Bonus Pack prediction, btw.

It's silly to say that SimHQ tries to quash dissent or criticism of the sim; I just ignore posts like that now. At least it's a much softer jab than the open accusations of being paid off by Neoqb and being shills for them that happened a few weeks ago!

Ideally, one would like to see balanced posts on the sim; the "I dunno what's wrong with you people, everything's bright and shiny" posts were as irritating and non-helpful as the "it's all broken, I'll never buy it" ones.

We've got so many real players coming off the field to report that the armchair quarterbacking sometimes irritates me, to be honest.
Posted By: commorange

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/22/09 05:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Ming_EAF19
Polls are so very naff.

Ming

Agreed. In fact the impertinence of it is exceeded only by its sheer outr'e. rolleyes
Posted By: commorange

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/22/09 05:24 AM

Originally Posted By: catch
[quote=heywooood] The rest of the content has to be forthcoming, and soon, or this thing is toast.

For you perhaps. But for die hard WW1 aviation nuts, not very likely old chap.

Look mate, thats all well and good, but Die hards are NOT ENOUGH to keep this project afloat!!! We must get a viable campaign and mission building functionality or the war is lost and that is all there is to it !!! banghead

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/22/09 08:51 AM

thats all well and good, but Die hards are NOT ENOUGH to keep this project afloat!!! We must get a viable campaign and mission building functionality or the war is lost and that is all there is to it !!!

Amen to that

The MP crowd are very noisy but online dogfights don't have that deep satisfaction of flying an historical role-playing mission with decent AI wingmen or cool human pilots

Singleplayer campaign and multiplayer coop missions priority please neoqb

Ming
Posted By: Arnow

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/22/09 08:55 AM

I have to Amen also wink

Thank you for reading this constructive comment biggrin
Posted By: RickRuski

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/22/09 09:44 AM

I will not buy R.O.F. until I can play what I have purchased without going online to activate and play. What happens if the producers close down or go bankrupt?? would we be left with a game that we cannot play?? if that is the case it would become a expensive piece of junk. I can understand the producers wanting to protect their copy right to the product, but surely they can find a better way of doing it without it costing them sales. I certainly hope that things change so that I have a good reason to purchase, as this has the makings of a great sim.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/22/09 09:46 AM

We've had this debate ad nausium...and you forgot if it was digital download only, we wouldnt even have a coaster for our drinks afterwards...

*YAWN!*

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/22/09 06:35 PM

That's the million ruble question - when does the time hack for the bulk of piracy pass? That's what the CP of DRM is for: to get any bit of software "past the hump" of intial sales and popularity, when the bulk of piracy happens.

I stand by my Christmas Bonus Pack prediction, btw.

It's silly to say that SimHQ tries to quash dissent or criticism of the sim; I just ignore posts like that now. At least it's a much softer jab than the open accusations of being paid off by Neoqb and being shills for them that happened a few weeks ago!

Ideally, one would like to see balanced posts on the sim; the "I dunno what's wrong with you people, everything's bright and shiny" posts were as irritating and non-helpful as the "it's all broken, I'll never buy it" ones.

We've got so many real players coming off the field to report that the armchair quarterbacking sometimes irritates me, to be honest.

Well, i can pretty much understand what you say and i more or less agree with you. That's what i'm waiting for, the "gold" edition. Then i can whine and moan with the added credibility of a legitimate customer like the rest rofl
Posted By: Highfox

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/22/09 08:21 PM

lol, are we off topic here? Sorry too many pages for me to read.

I haven't bought the N17 yet! Still some flying to be done in the superior planes before I move onto that bird.
Posted By: zcaa0g

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/23/09 12:23 AM

It's the penalty box for me for assisting in the effort of going off topic, but are the type of people (that being us flight sim enthusiasts) that are going to play these type of PC games really going to pirate them even we have the opportunity to?

I mean, we all fully realize that this genre dies a slow continuous death as time passes on and it seems the vast majority of us if not all of us are going to pony up to try to keep the genre alive.

I just don't see the people that would actually pirate these type of games as ones that would actually buy the product or even play it beyond just the one time even.

Or I guess I just look at it as I don't see someone pirating Falcon 4 as an example and then saying, this is really cool, I now need to spend a few hundred bucks on a HOTAS! And they sure as heck aren't going to be able realistically play Falcon 4 with a keyboard.

I just don't perceive (key word I realize) noticeable lost sales on these type of games, since they are very niche when compared to other genres such as FPSs, RTSs, racing titles, etc.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/23/09 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: zcaa0g
Or I guess I just look at it as I don't see someone pirating Falcon 4 as an example and then saying, this is really cool, I now need to spend a few hundred bucks on a HOTAS! And they sure as heck aren't going to be able realistically play Falcon 4 with a keyboard.

[sarcasm]Please don't mention Falcon 4. Posts on this forum and the RoF forum state for a fact that a game with less then 20 planes flyable out of the box cannot and will not survive. These people have convinced me Falcon 4 did not exist.[/sarcasm]

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/23/09 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Kankkis
I buy all what they release, i support that game 100%, it's so great sim.

Kankkis

Beautifully said Kankkis Smile2

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/23/09 02:44 AM

Warts and all, she is a beauty, huh?

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/23/09 02:50 AM

The things that work well, do indeed work well, we just need more of them.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/23/09 03:40 AM

Agreed. I try to be mad at ROF, then I fly it, and I see or do something I never have seen or done in a sim before.. and I can't stay mad smile

A fully functional multiplayer and I will be in heaven.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/23/09 05:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Bleddyn
Originally Posted By: zcaa0g

[sarcasm]Please don't mention Falcon 4. Posts on this forum and the RoF forum state for a fact that a game with less then 20 planes flyable out of the box cannot and will not survive. These people have convinced me Falcon 4 did not exist.[/sarcasm]

Nah, it's not about the lack of flyables. It's about the lack of a sufficiently modelled theater of war. Falcon 4 had one flyable (with a bunch of avionics to model mind you, quite an undertaking for its time), but it had dozens of AI allies and targets populating the landscape. Black Shark is more or less the same today, sans the dynamic campaign. Just to make sure we're all comparing the same kind of fruit here wink
Posted By: RedRiot77

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 07/29/09 06:08 AM

I'd like to buy it, but the game is still not available for digital purchase - for download. New planes made for the game, a patch has been released yesterday -that's great.

When will be possible to download the game? After the fifth patch? :/
Posted By: boxin

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 01/31/10 04:53 PM

Is this title still "protected" by excessively paranoid DRM?
Posted By: FiveDigits

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 01/31/10 07:14 PM

It has never been. An online connection is a reasonable mechanism nowadays.

Nevertheless Neoqb is considering to drop the online requirement for certain portions of the game (single player) in the near future to cater to those who have problems with this requirement
Posted By: Catfish

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 02/01/10 08:29 AM

What about
"I bought RoF because they promised to drop the online requirement" X
"Will not buy all planes because if they release 80 or more (as in other sims) it will cost me 500+ bucks" X eek2
Greetings,
Catfish
Posted By: Reflected

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 02/01/10 09:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Catfish

"Will not buy all planes because if they release 40 or more (as in other sims) it will cost me 500+ bucks" X

Yeah, kinda makes me wonder too... :S
Posted By: sharpe26

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 02/02/10 02:16 PM

weird thing is. I now regret getting ROF.......
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 02/02/10 06:05 PM

+ infintum ... I have bought everything they've released, and will most likely continue to do so.
Posted By: fox3

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 02/02/10 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Snuffy

+ infintum ... I have bought everything they've released, and will most likely continue to do so.

Doesn't give them much incentive to finish the sim, all they needs do is feed your addiction and fatten their wallets.

I own four birds, they came with the game. Don't remember which ones but I think they were single engine.
Posted By: SHar82

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 02/02/10 09:52 PM

I bought RoF and some planes (SE5a, N17-DIII pack) and I'm VERY happy with it, love to fly the N17 even if it have a very weird bug when taking off and most of the time I have to take off in auto mode. This apart, the plane is very agile and can turn with Albatros easily.

What I'm waiting for is a real dynamic campaign "a la" Red Baron.
Posted By: SYN_Ricky

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 02/03/10 02:56 PM

Bought the boxed version plus all the planes except the DVIII.

Been playing mostly coops with squadmates and having a blast plus quite a lot of offline for training.

I just have started to mess with the mission editor, which I like very much, it offers many possibilities smile

I've flown a bit on some public servers, but I guess that until there's a real dogfight mode, I won't bother again.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 02/03/10 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Rickenbacher
I've flown a bit on some public servers, but I guess that until there's a real dogfight mode, I won't bother again.

Two Weeks. Be Sure.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 02/04/10 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: fox3

Doesn't give them much incentive to finish the sim, all they needs do is feed your addiction and fatten their wallets.

I own four birds, they came with the game. Don't remember which ones but I think they were single engine.

Well Fox3 ... First I want to thank you for your diagnostic observation that I seem to have an addiction, that I obviously do not have.

I have an interest in making sure that my installation will have the latest and greatest of add-ons no matter what they are. As each new aircraft is released, new content is added to the sim, to provide action for those new aircraft. Something based on your limited thinking, seem to be missing the point of.

No, I assure you, its not an addiction, as I have not played ROF in over a week to week and a half lately, as I have other interests, and other things do come up. But, I like having all the aircraft as it doesn't limit my gaming experience to one or two scenarios.

With regard to the "finishing of the sim." ... Please note that at the time of release to the public, the sim was "finished." Neoqb didn't have to give in to the wishes of the public and provide more and newer content.

As for the "fattening" of their wallets, at $8.00 an aircraft I hardly think that their wallets are getting fat from my buying all the aircraft. I mean that $8.00 gets split how many ways? (8 divided by the number of neoqb employees, I'd say they're all getting about $0.25 ((twenty-five cents)) each.) Yep they're really getting rich off me.

For the record, all player aircraft at this time are single engined, and single seaters.

So I take it you're among the dissatisfied ones that wander the earth and moan and complain.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 02/04/10 05:45 PM

With regard to the "finishing of the sim." ... Please note that at the time of release to the public, the sim was "finished." Neoqb didn't have to give in to the wishes of the public and provide more and newer content.

Excuse me?

There was/is nothing "finished" at all about ROF. At best it's an early beta.

Take off the blinders son.

The campaign side is a lifeless shell. There is no ground content to speak of, and the ground objects that are there have dubious damage modeling at best.

No flyable two place aircraft. Huh? The only reason single seaters exist is to counter the threat of multi place attack aircraft.

A very limited "front" map. Enough said.

Still no online, join when you wish, dogfight server function. How many months has it been now? Come on. There is NO excuse for this glaring omission any more.
"Oh, we are working on it" doesn't cut it. Sorry Jason/neoqb/et al... I'm tired of hearing lame excuses for lack of the single most basic requirement of any flight simulation.

I'm sorry Snuffy, my expectations are much, much higher than yours appear to be.
Posted By: KnowBreaks

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 02/04/10 07:23 PM

This "poll" is obviously lacking a few potential responses, among them, "Bought it/Regret it/Wouldn't recommend it/It's gathering dust now/buying more planes - Dude, seriously?".

There are, as ElAurens explains, a number of glaring omissions. Each one gets a little more 'glare' with each released patch that improves the appearance of water (hypothetical example, don't get excited) while it does little to actually "build" the sim to the point it should be by now.

And, in my opinion, it was nowhere near 'finished' when it was released. That's silly to even suggest - even NeoQB has admitted many times there's a lot to be added. We just have to be patient...which was acceptable, for a while.

As for the $8.00 planes...well, I agree - no one's getting rich off you, for sure. But they aren't just selling you planes, either - are they?

And for any of those who will surely come along and tell me how wrong I am for seeing RoF as I do, consider this:

You have no idea how badly I wanted this to be the end-all WW1 flight sim. In a previous life (before one of my many bans *lol*) I actually gave "the other sim" hell around here; I said - long before actually owning it - that RoF would put the other guys to shame.

So, for all those who have jumped all over me many times here, take notes: I'm finally publicly saying what you've all been dying to hear:

Boy, was I ever an idiot.

For believing in RoF, that is.
Posted By: FiveDigits

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 02/04/10 07:28 PM

The sky is falling! ... again

Whine all you want. RoF is still the only new development in WWI aviation for more than a decade. You should be grateful for every single bit of it. I know I am.
Posted By: RocketDog

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 02/04/10 07:46 PM

Yes - some people have rather naive expectations of what can realistically be delivered in PC simulations. The bits we have got are actually pretty good. If it takes a few months more to fill in the rest, well so what, I can wait.

Cheers,

RD

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 02/04/10 08:09 PM

... Excuse me?

There was/is nothing "finished" at all about ROF. At best it's an early beta. ...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You will note that I did use quotation marks around the word "finished." Yes, at some point in the whole scheme of things according to neoqb's flow sheet, they had to reach a point where the product is released, therefore "finishing" that portion of the flow chart.

... Take off the blinders son. ...

Don't call me son, as I'm obviously not, and I'm more than likely older than you. That's evident in our forums presentations.

... The campaign side is a lifeless shell. There is no ground content to speak of, and the ground objects that are there have dubious damage modeling at best.

No flyable two place aircraft. Huh? The only reason single seaters exist is to counter the threat of multi place attack aircraft.

A very limited "front" map. Enough said.

Still no online, join when you wish, dogfight server function. How many months has it been now? Come on. There is NO excuse for this glaring omission any more.
"Oh, we are working on it" doesn't cut it. Sorry Jason/neoqb/et al... I'm tired of hearing lame excuses for lack of the single most basic requirement of any flight simulation.

These are your opinions of what would make a good sim, they obviously were not Neoqb's. Get over yourself. Your expectations vs their delivery are two different lines of thought.

... I'm sorry Snuffy, my expectations are much, much higher than yours appear to be.

Actually an opinion, which your entitled to again. Don't pretend to know what I think or how I feel about something just based on some well reasoned and thought out comments that have been produced without a lot of high blood pressured related comments as you have made.

I'm quite content to accept what I have and am quite willing to wait on the developers as they continue to refine the product. Now if you don't have those kind of patience, I suggest you go find something else to do then, cuz you're obviously going to give yourself a stroke ....

Have a nice life.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 02/04/10 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: KnowBreaks
... Boy, was I ever an idiot. ....

Probably one of the most reasoned and thought out responses I've seen in some time. smile

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 02/04/10 10:51 PM

Well Fox3 ... First I want to thank you for your observation that I have an addiction, > add a few snips here and there < I will have the latest and greatest of add-ons no matter what they are.

No, I assure you, its not an addiction, as I have not played ROF in over a week to week and a half lately, > yeah I find the game a bit boring also <

But, I like having all the aircraft > yeah I am not addicted <

As for the "fattening" of their wallets, at $8.00 an aircraft I hardly think that their wallets are getting fat from my buying all the aircraft. I mean that $8.00 gets split how many ways? (8 divided by the number of neoqb employees, I'd say they're all getting about $0.25 ((twenty-five cents)) each.) Yep they're really getting rich off me. > get over youself do you really believe you are the only weak minded who bought those crates? <
For the record, all player aircraft at this time are single engined, and single seaters. > for a disacount you will soon be able to buy multi engine crates <
So I take it you're among the dissatisfied ones that wander the earth and moan and complain.

No I have admitted I should have read the fine print before purchasing. The dev's have stated this game is unfinished and has flaws. I will take them at their word. They have said they do not have the manpower to fix it, well not in the next few months anyways, they said this back in september so I guess this is also the truth since it is still unfinished. If pointing out the obvious rubs you wrong Be Sure you will get new airframes to gawk at soon and will almost surely forget we had this little chat.

Just a little more patience and mebbe if we get theeir ear we might just get more dynamic MP DF servers

Cheers M8

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 02/04/10 11:34 PM

Snuffy you are wrong on every rebuttal to my post sir.

Not my opinion, just fact.

We have been told since release that missing content, and major improvements were forthcoming. So, where are they? All we have received so far are some touch ups to the graphics, and of course, more planes.

Online is a total wasteland. This many months into the life of the sim there should be hundreds, if not thousands, of online players, not the few dozen we see now.

I had very high hopes and expectations for RoF, knowing who the developers were and where they came from in the world of flight simulation. I have been waiting for a high quality WW1 simulation since I started playing air combat simulations. I still want one. Will RoF be that simualtion?
I have no idea. With the glacial pace of development, and the generally low expectations of most of the posters here, I have my doubts.

The window for neoqb pulling this off is getting smaller with each passing quarter. There is a very large spectre casting it's shadow over RoF, and curiously enough it emminates from Mother Russia as well. neoqb NEEDS to have RoF in a very polished state well before Oleg's Storm of War is released later this year. If not, large numbers of folks waiting for RoF to reach an acceptable level of utility will simply move on and never look back. And trust me, there are lots of folks on the sidelines watching Rof, hoping for the pace of development to ramp up.

Patience may be a virtue, but you can take timeliness to the bank.

Be very sure.
Posted By: KnowBreaks

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 02/05/10 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: KnowBreaks
... Boy, was I ever an idiot. ....

Probably one of the most reasoned and thought out responses I've seen in some time. smile

You know, Snuffy, I've no quarrel with you - and I really don't mind being quoted...but at least include what I said, exactly, so as not to completely change the context:

Boy, was I ever an idiot.
For believing in RoF, that is.

Thank you.

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 02/05/10 09:47 AM

the dissatisfied ones that wander the earth and moan and complain.

Hmm must be a Biblical reference let me look Smile2

Yes here it is, the tribe that walked straight through the Promised Land on the way to a mirage

"I see no bread and honey falling from the sky and btw what's that sticky stuff it's all over me sandals now"

I wonder what happened to them in the end. I bet it was sticky whatever it was Smile2

Ming

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 02/05/10 03:54 PM

Fish On!

Catch and release.
Posted By: Catfish

Re: Poll - How many bought ROF? - 02/05/10 05:36 PM

^^ hahaha hahaha hahaha

even if Ming probably tries to "fish" for new RoF "participants", i have to say that i almost did NOT buy the sim just because of those postings, from some, well, no i will not say the word biggrin - to make it short i'm glad i bought the sim anyway.
Guess i was already hooked years ago, to WW1 sims.

Greetings,
Catfish
© 2024 SimHQ Forums