Then:
http://www.neoqb.com/en/sphere/
Then:
http://www.kamaz.ru/en/company/about

Oh yeah, these guys too:
http://www.det-mir.ru/cntnt/english/company_in.html

and, way down in the basement slaving away in abject poverty, these guys:
http://riseofflight.com/?lang=en-US

I think they may have more support than some would have us believe.

I am not trying to start a row here but the: "a few poor guys struggling to bring us the next best thing while operating on a shostring and oh how fabulous that is indeed, let's buy anything they toss our way." posts have driven me to the above madness.

Defense of their online requirements have been mostly based on the loss of funds to pirates that a struggling young company simply cannot absorb.

One major reason to buy now has been, if we do not support them with our purchase thay may go under.

With "the largest automobile corporation of the Russian Federation." and "one of the largest world children’s goods retail." providers on their side I think they may be able to struggle through so maybe there could be a bit less "starving artist" sympathy.

It sure is a pretty game though.
Posted By: Catfish

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/14/09 09:25 PM

Oops - is all this really the same NeoQB eek
Posted By: Brummer

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/14/09 09:35 PM

The fact that they were hired by them, does not mean that they are constantly supported by them.
Posted By: Dunkers

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/14/09 09:47 PM

Errr right. So Neoqb have other clients and aren't just a WWI sim developer. Manchester City are buying some of the best players in the world but aren't too likely to actually win anything.

Btw, I'm pretty sure that Neoqb never said or implied this:
Quote:
One major reason to buy now has been, if we do not support them with our purchase thay may go under.

I love a good conspiracy theory but this certainly isn't one of them.

cheers
Posted By: Sunchaser

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/14/09 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: dunkelgrun
Errr right. So Neoqb have other clients and aren't just a WWI sim developer. Manchester City are buying some of the best players in the world but aren't too likely to actually win anything.

Btw, I'm pretty sure that Neoqb never said or implied this:
Quote:

I love a good conspiracy theory but this certainly isn't one of them.

cheers

I do not believe the sentence you quoted begins with "Neoqb said or implied...."

Many supporters and even some not so supportive but avid WWI fans have used the "if we do not support" argument to justify buying what some consider an incomplete offering though, so what's the problem with some clarification?
Posted By: sdflyer

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/14/09 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Sunchaser

With "the largest automobile corporation of the Russian Federation." and "one of the largest world children’s goods retail." providers on their side I think they may be able to struggle through so maybe there could be a bit less "starving artist" sympathy.

OMG seehearspeak
Posted By: NattyIced

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/14/09 10:28 PM

You seem bitter. Perhaps you shouldn't care until it becomes more complete and you may decide to spend your money on it then?

I mean, it's not like other corporations have taken on smaller companies that produced a certain item and then gave them the axe when the return on their investment wasn't realized. Never happened before.
Posted By: Double_Tap

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/14/09 10:28 PM

Whether or not Neoqb is a multinational blood-sucking conglomerate or a nickel and dime corner store does not matter one jot. If they make a profit, then it will flourish. It if makes a loss, no more flight sim.

*Insert conspiracy theory of choice.*
Posted By: Toadvine

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/14/09 11:17 PM

Originally Posted By: No5_Double_Tap
Whether or not Neoqb is a multinational blood-sucking conglomerate or a nickel and dime corner store does not matter one jot. If they make a profit, then it will flourish. It if makes a loss, no more flight sim.

This is true. No company is too big to fail nor too small to succeed.
Posted By: Rama

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/14/09 11:23 PM

I remember you one part of last neoqb statement "Flight-simulations are a dying genre in PC gaming and the reasons are pretty obvious to the community. Our approach is not meant to offend, nor is it rooted in greed, it is simply a survival strategy. We hope you understand, even if you disagree with this approach."

So... do you think Ivanov is a lier (and a crook) ?

Whatever the founding company, there's a dev group behind RoF, that started the development under "Genadish" name, then had to find other founding.... and if the return on invest doesn't show, you can bet on the end of RoF... you wont loose...

Do you remember what happened recently to a development studio, that had a long and succesfull history behing, and that was founded by the largest software company in the world???... you know, the studio that developped the FS serie...
Posted By: wickedpenguin

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 12:09 AM

I'd like to bring your attention a little sim called Microsoft Flight Simulator. If you recall, the ACES studio was shut down earlier this year, even though MS' revenue is in the billions.

When big companies choose to downsize in a struggling economy, they need to trim the fat. Unfortunately, niche entertainment products are pretty high in calories. Just because Neoqb may be owned by a large corporation doesn't it'll stay in business if it's unprofitable.
Posted By: piper

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 12:37 AM

I am not trying to start a row here but the: "a few poor guys struggling to bring us the next best thing while operating on a shostring and oh how fabulous that is indeed, let's buy anything they toss our way." posts have driven me to the above madness.

Get a life man... I know from experience how quickly a flight sim can be pulled from development.

You either want a high fidelity WWI flightsim, or your post crap like that.
Posted By: Inrptrn

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 01:04 AM

Guys, they are clearly crooks, we have all been had.
I think everyone should just stop playing and send me your copies of RoF and I will take it from here.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 02:00 AM

"Get a life man" and "You either want a high fidelity WWI flightsim, or your post crap like that."

Good ones, Piper....well, not really but ya tried, eh?

wickedpenguin,
It is true indeed that "Just because Neoqb may be owned by a large corporation doesn't it'll stay in business if it's unprofitable"

But if owned by said large corporation, it also follows that they may not be poverty stricken about to fold entity that deserve support based largely on that premise, which is a good part of the arguments pro ROF, right?

Look, no one called anyone crooks, I just posted info gathered from the link on the ROF homepage that may indicate that ROF is possibly not the poor stepchild of the flightsim world as put forth by some supporters as a reason to buy their stuff.
Posted By: Ark

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 02:15 AM

"..one of the largest world children s goods retail."

If the RoF Neoqb was the same exact entity or had the full support of the groups you mentioned, I seriously doubt they would be having a tough time setting up an online shop.

Sounds a little far-fetched, IMO.

In the end though, if it is the same people...who really cares?

I base my judgements on the product and support of the developers/team at hand, not how successful they are in other markets. smile
Posted By: catch

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 03:23 AM

I'm a WW1 air war nut and early aviation enthusiast. I choose to support the neglected WW1 flight sim genre regardless of the developer's finances or lack thereof and I'm happy to do so because it's a niche market and feeds my hobby.

As for stoopid conspiracy theories based on ... wait for it .... info on the internet ! .... proves there is a non-discerning sucker born every minute.
Posted By: pixelbaron

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 04:08 AM

Their website lists both those groups as clients under Movies/TV, which would suggest to me Neoqb probably did some television commercial work for them in some capacity.

That doesn't mean that both these groups own them or are paying for all their expenses, doing business with them might have netted them some money to continue development on Rise of Flight, and who knows how long ago that was, but insinuating that both groups are funding them is only wild speculation on your part.
Posted By: Ming_EAF19

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 08:47 AM

Neocube, see the big-clue cube there

Like we call Rasputin Rasputin not whatever her name was in Russian

Creative marketing can come up with stuff about quantum bits after the fact but a quantum is not an object or a bit it is a quantity or an idea

We already are running quantum computers or they wouldn't work, tunneling magic

Ming
Posted By: Freycinet

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 09:29 AM

Whoa, the haters of this sim are really beginning to grab at straws now...
Posted By: Cas141

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 09:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Rama
[

Whatever the founding company, there's a dev group behind RoF, that started the development under "Genadish" name, then had to find other founding.... and if the return on invest doesn't show, you can bet on the end of RoF... you wont loose...

Do you remember what happened recently to a development studio, that had a long and succesfull history behing, and that was founded by the largest software company in the world???... you know, the studio that developped the FS serie...

Yes, I remember- but I can still play FSX and FS2004- Can't I?

But you won't be playing ROF if Neoqb goes the way of " you know, the studio that developed the FS serie..."

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 10:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Cas141

But you won't be playing ROF if Neoqb goes the way of " you know, the studio that developed the FS serie..."

Speculations... you don't know (as I don't either) what will happen "if", and what would be neoqb's decisions and actions "if".

In any case, it doesn't change the fact that neoqb needs some incomes to continue the dev of the sim.
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 10:52 AM

Sunchaser has a point. Whenever somone says something negative about RoF, the next we hear is

A) NeoQB is a small studio without the funds to do what critics expected them to do

B) If enough people do not buy the game "as is", it will not be developed further and everyone is left holding a lemon.

I'd like to see how a Microsoft sim with such a meager campaign and no quick single mission tool would have been received.

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
Sunchaser has a point.

Check previous answers...
Posted By: Catfish

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 12:30 PM

Hello,
i guess most people don't give a damn what kind of company produces a sim as long as they like it. I do not see a point in NOT buying MS FSX because i do not especially love MS (the software company, not the disease ahem). So do YOU give your money only to small, starving companies ? I guess you buy it for fun ..
And remember the FS development team was thrown out by MS, MS itself is still doing well. So let's just hope NeoQB does not throw out the RoF development team. Because with this online requirement, there'd be bad days ahead .. he HAS a point here.

Greetings,
Catfish
Posted By: FiveDigits

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 12:51 PM

There is no technical limitation that would prevent Neoqb to lift the login requirement in a last patch before switching off the lights. No need to panic. ... he has NO point.
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 01:02 PM

If a company goes bust, who supplies the money and time to remove a core part of the game design from an already sold game? At least according to some here (Freycinet...), it is impossible to run RoF offline for technical design reasons, which is why he claims it can't be cracked and it can't be removed since too much of the game is tied to the online connection.

Now personally, I think it's about as complicated as a CD-Check and will be cracked soon enough, but what if the fans are right? What if RoF can't work without it's server? Who's gonna fund the rewrite of such in-depth code if the team goes belly up?

Also, from a financial point of view, would a dieing company not try to sell as many copies as possible while it goes down, maybe rather shut down servers one by one and try to limit operational costs (which would lead to increased outages) instead of removing the only copy protection from it's game?
Posted By: Para_Bellum

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 01:21 PM

What if the space lobsters of doom take over the world and eat us all alive?

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 01:28 PM

Well Para_Bellum, if they do I guess this topic, among others, would be moot, right?
Posted By: Dart

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 02:46 PM

So, Sunchaser, what you're saying is that I shouldn't have bought the sim because it has corporate backing (which anyone would have figured they did, as they worked on the sim for over a year without any inflow of cash from the product)?

I don't get the point of your thread, to be honest.

Is it just a slag at Neoqb, a slag at folks who actually bought and enjoy the sim, or a random idea that woke you up at night and had to make the forums?
Posted By: wombat778

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 03:08 PM

Look, no one called anyone crooks, I just posted info gathered from the link on the ROF homepage that may indicate that ROF is possibly not the poor stepchild of the flightsim world as put forth by some supporters as a reason to buy their stuff.

Umm, no, you posted nothing of the sort. Your post is very misleading in that it suggests that Neoqb is owned by those other companies, when in fact the website clearly says that they are CLIENTS of neoqb. It may come as a surprise to you if you have never been in business, but many many small companies occasionally do business with very large ones. I personally have worked at tiny companies (a few employees) that have done business with multibillion dollar companies. Of course, the work itself was generally only for tiny projects for a few hundred dollars, but thereafter they were a "client".

This does NOT IN ANY WAY suggest that the client has any financial stake in neoqb or is backing them up in any way. Does a tiny corner shop suddenly become a big company because it once sold a candy bar to the CEO of a big company? I think not. You really should edit your post to make clear that those large companies you posted are just clients of neoqb, not neoqb itself.
Posted By: Freycinet

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 03:26 PM

Why would he want to edit his posting, it goes against his agenda...
Posted By: =FB=VikS

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 03:34 PM

Ghmm, its weird how things are turned in minds sometimes smile

As a fact - we where (to be correct - one of our GFX guys) where making an marketing stuff for these companyes.
We made some stuff for them - nothing more.
Posted By: Mogster

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 06:30 PM

Lots of business's do this, its just a "look we've done work for these other people and they were satisfied" page. What's wrong with that.

If Neoqb have other lines of income beyond ROF then then it makes them more robust financially, good news. Eagle Dynamics have large military simulation contracts outside their retail business, it appears to have kept them afloat. No one moans about ED working with the USAF and others on the ED boards, I doubt that the development of the DCS series could have been sustained by retail sales of Lock On alone.

I'm sure the Neoqb guys wish they had access to some of Kamaz's billions of $$$ though. smile

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 07:11 PM

We made some stuff for them - nothing more.

Thanks for the clarification, =FB=VikS
Posted By: Blackdog_kt

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/15/09 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: FiveDigits
There is no technical limitation that would prevent Neoqb to lift the login requirement in a last patch before switching off the lights. No need to panic. ... he has NO point.

And that's why it's ridiculous to have it in its present state. If they make it a combination of the methods used by Steam and Black Shark their sales will shoot through the roof. I had an idea the other day and it's not really complicated. Just like Steam, you could have an "run game offline" option. So, how do they check for copy protection when the disc has none? Simple really, make this offline option a renewable "coupon". As long as you're online the "coupon" is full and has 30 days of offline gameplay time. When you go offline because your ISP is acting up (a few minutes or hours), because you moved house and you don't have a new ISP setup yet (a few weeks or even a month depending on location), or just because you just turned on your PC and you forgot to turn on your router, the offline "coupon" is in effect and the 30 day countdown starts. Then, the next time you go online this timer is reset to the original 30 day value.

As for the updates, it's a similar process. When you run the game in online mode, let it check for updates and give you a pop-up window about downloading the patch, it's a simple "yes/no/quit" affair. I don't know if this is already implemented, but having the updates stored in a cache folder or even being able to download off the site directly and run them yourself would also be good. Why have to download 2GB of patches all over again if you need to reinstall 8 months down the line? Far simpler for them to be saved on your hard drive and you can keep a backup of them. This is not something i dreamt up all of a sudden, it's the way a MMO game i used to play handles updates and that one has an entire server cluster, a few hundred thousand subscribers and about 50000 concurrent logins on a single persistent online world. If it works for them, it should be a good model i think.

People don't like this requirement because it's unecessary trouble that could be done in a simpler way, not because they want RoF to fail for lack of copy protection. It's just a hassle and knowing that there are other ways to implement it just makes it seem harder to live with. Just my 2 cents, others are welcome to have a different opinion.
Posted By: catch

Re: Who is neoqb? - 07/16/09 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
What if the space lobsters of doom take over the world and eat us all alive?

Quite. A very good question PB and kind of puts everything into perspective don't you think ....
© 2024 SimHQ Forums