homepage

Force Feed Joysticks

Posted By: JSkellington

Force Feed Joysticks - 11/28/08 11:43 PM

First time poster.
Will this game work with force feed joysticks like the Saitek Evo? Will it offer any of the forces? I recall in Red Baron 3d it worked. You could feel a stall starting, etc ...

Thanks

JSkellington
Posted By: TailFlamer

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 11/29/08 04:37 AM

Hi and welcome SimHQ.

I feel sure it will work perfectly.
Posted By: tagTaken2

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 11/29/08 12:14 PM

I think there was a couple of hints earlier that they would look at it, but nothing concrete so far. I really hope so, I have MSFFB2 I'd love to keep using. The more old school the aircraft, the more useful ffb is.
Posted By: Mogster

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 11/29/08 01:20 PM

IL2 has an excellent FF implementation, I'm hoping to see something similar from KOTS.
Posted By: =FB=VikS

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 11/29/08 02:18 PM

I think i did answer it before, but again - no promises for release, but sure for add-onns.
Its all again just about time we have bofore release to finish all things up.

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 11/29/08 02:55 PM

Yes we have talked about this before Viks, thanks for the reply though, I'm still hoping smile
Posted By: fearlesslds

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 12/01/08 02:35 AM

As I fly low overhead you'll get plenty of feedback from the handle of your trench digging shovel .bananadance
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 12/01/08 03:55 AM

As someone who has flown real aircraft, I can speak with some authority when I say that Force Feedback joysticks are so unlike the real thing that they are actually worse than no force feedback.
Posted By: Cold_Gambler

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 12/01/08 04:17 AM

That's your view and you are entitled to it, Benny.

Clearly this is a matter on which some subjectivity is going to come into play.
I also have some experience (C-152, C-172 and crappy Royal Canadian Air Cadet glider Schweizer 2-22 and 2-33) and couldn't disagree more.

I think that the implementation of FFB in both Il2 and MSFS9 (don't have FSX) is quite good and I certainly hope the NeoQB team implement it from the beginning. If we have to wait for the first add-ons, I can live with it.
Posted By: Freycinet

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 12/01/08 11:51 AM

I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to ask Oleg politely and get the programming bit for FF... - I'm sure he wants to play this sim as much as the rest of us!

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 12/01/08 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Benny Moore
As someone who has flown real aircraft, I can speak with some authority when I say that Force Feedback joysticks are so unlike the real thing that they are actually worse than no force feedback.

That's not really the point, is it?

If we were concerned with the real thing, we'd shoot ourselves everytime the screen went black. The point is that a good FFB stick makes flight sims, particularly combat ones more playable for a number of people, and if it's possible I'd be delighted if RoF implemented FFB.

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 12/01/08 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Freycinet
I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to ask Oleg politely and get the programming bit for FF... - I'm sure he wants to play this sim as much as the rest of us!

yep

Thought the same myself, aren't Oleg's bunch in the same building or just accross the street? cheers
Posted By: Ming_EAF19

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 12/01/08 01:39 PM

Although RoF is not a direct clone of the licensed Il-2 engine, it's had some tweaks - the controllers' core routines would be the same under if it ain't broke rules

I can speak with some authority

Authority is something that's earned by virtue of one's words or deeds, authority is not something that one can simply claim.

Starting out with modest claims that most people agree with would be a start.

I'll go first.

A force-feedback stick's control authority is more or less realistic depending on the (virtual) plane one is flying I should think, and on the stick's sensitivity etc settings

Ming
Posted By: WWTaco

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 12/01/08 02:04 PM

Just hope my Cougar will work without any problems...
Posted By: =FB=VikS

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 12/01/08 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: WWTaco
Just hope my Cougar will work without any problems...

its already work w/o problems, as CH, Saitek and other stuff smile
Posted By: FlyRetired

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 12/01/08 02:20 PM

Instead of force-feedback, maybe what we'll need force lock-up!

Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised if at high speed, which some of these aircraft we capable of in a dive (est. 280 mph in an SE5a), that force will approach the proverbial stiffened stick for sure (of the controls gentlemen).

A butt-kicker peripheral could also be added for that pucker factor.
Posted By: PourleMerite

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 12/01/08 02:53 PM

Gotta have force-feedback.
Posted By: Dart

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 12/01/08 03:43 PM

The key to force feedback always comes down to refining the settings.

My one foray into force feedback started out as a very negative experience, as the factory defaults were too exaggerated. I toned it down and it was just fine in translating some of the cues of flight.

I suspect that Benny's experience with it was the same one I had out of the box. Gambler probably had his stick adjusted down to a more reasonable setting.

In the end it was sort of like a gimmick to me, and I didn't replace it with another forced feedback stick when it died.

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 12/01/08 04:27 PM

MS ForceEdit is around for tweaking the impact of the shuttering cracks on concrete runways for example, allows editing of the dot ffe files in the ForceFeedback folder

Ming

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 12/01/08 05:23 PM

There's also that useful stop gap utility knocking about that turns your MSFF2 into a normal self centre stick if things go pear shaped smile

Meant for Sidewinder wheels but works with sticks as well.

http://www.tocaedit.com/forum/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=33

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 12/01/08 07:16 PM

Ah CTFJ where are you now. All fields through here, Lonnie Donegan in the charts and beer at a penny a gill

That could have been a peck

Ming

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 12/02/08 07:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Mogster
There's also that useful stop gap utility knocking about that turns your MSFF2 into a normal self centre stick if things go pear shaped smile

Meant for Sidewinder wheels but works with sticks as well.

http://www.tocaedit.com/forum/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=33

Interesting, thanks. I'll grab this just to see what it does.

Strange to think that HOTAS users are potentially going to have unused buttons. In fact, going from Falcon to RoF is going to be a trip. My carpal tunnel might even fade woot

Re: Force Feed Joysticks - 12/03/08 09:36 PM

Its very simple. You run rtc then load your game over the top and start your flight, pressing F10 removes the games FF and provides a return to centre spring live a normal stick.

Works like a charm with MSFS, I could never get on with the FS take on FF.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums