homepage

Once again . Any word

Posted By: fearlesslds

Once again . Any word - 11/07/08 11:17 PM

on release date . Looking to get a new computer for Christmas and can't decide between Apple and PC .Wheter or not this game comes out anytime soon is a major factor .
Posted By: FlyRetired

Re: Once again . Any word - 11/07/08 11:47 PM

Scott,

They said in a recent blog reply, either late 2008 or early 2009.

What struck me as interesting, was the blog contest a few weeks ago to name the Russian version of the sim, and the name chosen was

(War In The Sky 1917)

Posted By: Dantes

Re: Once again . Any word - 11/08/08 12:33 AM

Just Bootcamp Windows on Apple if you want or need both OS's.

Or look into hackintosh options. There is a product called EFIX recently released that has me debating which way to go too. I like Apple products but I also want the fastest rig going for this sim when it goes gold.

S!
Posted By: Ming_EAF19

Re: Once again . Any word - 11/08/08 12:38 AM

War In The Air: 1917

Ming
Posted By: orkan

Re: Once again . Any word - 11/08/08 03:06 PM

HE6E = sky

SimHQ does not support cyrillic alphabet. Shame. Ever heard of Unicode?

Re: Once again . Any word - 11/09/08 03:49 PM

It's a translator's decision how to translate a word from Russian to English of course yes

It's less simple translating a Russian phrase into an English phrase because phrases can have embedded words that change the melody (to an English ear). War In The Sky has the same meaning as War In The Air but the word Air there rather than Sky makes the lead-in smoother. The Yair. Thuss Kye. The sss sound is bad karma in that place in a title. Skies might work

As in Storm of War or even Rise of Flight. These are phrases which may sound ok to a Russian ear and which are ok in one sense but not in another. Titles are special: they need to have a good tune, no jarrings. Be smooth baby

Pacific Sky War

Get the picture Smile2

Ming
Posted By: Freycinet

Re: Once again . Any word - 11/09/08 05:34 PM

Well, "SoW", 'nuff said.. oink, oink.
Posted By: franksvalli

Re: Once again . Any word - 11/09/08 07:56 PM

FlyRetired found the Red Rodgers forum with pics of their visit to the Igromir game conference: http://www.redrodgers.com/forums/showpos...mp;postcount=20

But more than pics - they give a bit of info on the new publisher and the release date: "Date, according to the Loft, depends on the publisher (ND - Noviy Disk), but tentatively - the first quarter of 2009, could be February."

You can see the "ND Games" logo above the Rise of Flight booth: http://www.redrodgers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7113
Posted By: Mogster

Re: Once again . Any word - 11/09/08 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: franksvalli
FlyRetired found the Red Rodgers forum with pics of their visit to the Igromir game conference: http://www.redrodgers.com/forums/showpos...mp;postcount=20

But more than pics - they give a bit of info on the new publisher and the release date: "Date, according to the Loft, depends on the publisher (ND - Noviy Disk), but tentatively - the first quarter of 2009, could be February."

You can see the "ND Games" logo above the Rise of Flight booth: http://www.redrodgers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7113

Surely NG games are the publisher for Russia, I assume there'll be someone else for the West.
Posted By: MadMez

Re: Once again . Any word - 11/25/08 06:18 AM

I think it would be "War in the Sky" as НЕБО = Sky and ВОЗДУХ = Air.

As an interpreter (as I was many years ago) you'd try to keep the idiomatic sense of the phrase, for sure, but if it said "Air" you had to render it as "Air".

Can't wait for this sim!

MadMez (the überlurker)
Posted By: Immermann

Re: Once again . Any word - 11/25/08 10:10 AM

Maybe they're aiming at the centennial...

Re: Once again . Any word - 11/25/08 10:12 AM

НЕБО = Sky and ВОЗДУХ = Air

Keep it simple yes, translator's first rule Smile2

Battle On The Sky

Rumble At The Area

Harpoon To The Gigantic Legless Squid

It's all English almost Smile2

Ming
Posted By: franksvalli

Re: Once again . Any word - 11/26/08 12:56 AM

http://www.nd.ru/catalog/products/warinheaven1917/

I wonder if someone just ran the Russian word through Google Translate to form that URL though?

And at the bottom of the game announcement: "Estimated release date - 1 st quarter of 2009." smile
Posted By: Dart

Re: Once again . Any word - 11/26/08 01:34 AM

Finally the Marshall corners the bad guys, and says:

"Hands in the Sky!"

or

"Reach for the Air!"

One has to use translators twice to get it.

Re: Once again . Any word - 11/26/08 10:01 AM

"Reach for the Air!"

I had a huge list of bloopers ready but that nails it Smile2

It's only air when its feet are on the ground... the sky is a place where things happen. The air is the medium in which those things happen he said, as he threw the ball into the sky. Wait a minute I quite like that Smile2

'Above us only air.
Imagine all the people
Living for the twenty four hour period'

'It don't mean a thing
If it don't swing'

Russian to English is a relatively simple task probably (translators work in real time) if you already speak both languages. It's the translating from English to English that presents the challenge, to be sure to include the original resonances in the phrasing, the shades of meaning. If there was any in there to begin with. And if there wasn't, something needs to be done. No one's getting nearer to Heaven by reading lists: he did this, he did that next, then he stopped. Where's the beef Smile2

Ming
Posted By: Gr.Viper

Re: Once again . Any word - 11/26/08 11:48 AM

Winds after Dinner...

Mind that HE6O can also mean 'palate' (the one in your mouth). It's pronounced differently and should be spelled with Ё but no one seems to care about that letter nowadays.

ND page written by an overly enthusiastic PR-person. "OMFG planes, death everywhere"
© 2024 SimHQ Forums