homepage

Destiny

Posted By: Mace71

Destiny - 06/14/14 02:41 PM

As I managed to squeeze into the Alpha last night (ends on Sunday I believe) and having played until 2am I can say this is going to be in my top games I want this year!

I already had it pre-ordered (so have the beta to come in July) but to play it has confirmed everything I hoped it would be. It feels like Bungie have matured and everything they learnt from Halo has been applied in Destiny. There are some things which have reminded me of Halo but in a good, nostalgic way. It is MMO lite but with no sub and you can play it all on your own if you want and group up for a Strike (a dungeon) if you wish.

3 classes, Hunter, Titan and Warlock and I have only tried Hunter and Warlock so far but Warlock was my favourite with a sorcerer feel to him whilst wielding all manner of weaponry (which all classes do). Killing enemies gives 'drops' of either armour or weapons and makes the leveling feel relevant.

I need to go back and play the Titan now, I may be some time biggrin
Posted By: slash9107

Re: Destiny - 06/14/14 03:30 PM

Thanks for the update Mace. I have a couple of friends who also had the chance to try the alpha and they too loved it. I'm glad to hear positive news already.

Really looking forward to playing Destiny for myself!!
Posted By: Master

Re: Destiny - 06/14/14 06:55 PM

would this be worth picking up on a 360 or ps3 or is it really just a next gen title that they dropped features to get it onto the old gen?

Re: Destiny - 06/14/14 07:50 PM

No one knows yet, nothing has been seen other than PS4 code.

Re: Destiny - 06/14/14 08:39 PM

It's a fantastic looking game.

Posted By: Coot

Re: Destiny - 06/14/14 11:01 PM

How are you posting PS4 pics Mace?

Re: Destiny - 06/14/14 11:36 PM

I have to upload to a Twitter account then download to my PC.
Posted By: Sethos88

Re: Destiny - 06/15/14 12:24 AM

Just a shame the screenshots off the PS4 is such terrible quality. Can't believe they don't let us do raw grabs.
Posted By: WangoTango

Re: Destiny - 06/15/14 11:55 AM

I received an alpha code as well.Played for about an hour last night. This is my most anticipated game for 2014.I've grown a little weary of the annual COD and Battlefields. This looks like a game than will have long lasting appeal.

Re: Destiny - 06/15/14 11:58 AM

Yeah I can see this becoming quite an addiction smile

Re: Destiny - 06/15/14 03:36 PM

Damn, I'm going to miss playing this when the alpha ends even though I've hit highest level on my Warlock (level 8 highest in alpha) I'm still just zooming around on my speeder taking out the enemy. 32 days until beta...
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Destiny - 06/15/14 06:32 PM

If anyone wants to give it a try, I got a code sent to me for some reason. No PS4 here. I'm assuming anyone could use this?
Post if you get it to work so no one keeps trying it.

The Destiny First Look Alpha is not final. Players may experience bugs and incomplete features. Thanks for helping us pave the way to Beta, and Destiny's launch on September 9th, 2014.

Code: M722-NBN3-4JKM

How to redeem your Destiny First Look Alpha code on PS4:
1) Create an online account on your PSN-enabled PlayStation system (or use your existing account)
2) Select PlayStation Store icon on the PS4 system home screen
3) On PlayStation Store, select "Redeem Codes" at the bottom of the menu on the PS4 system
4) Enter the Code (Codes are case sensitive)
5) Once the Code has been entered correctly, select "Continue" on the dialog box from the PS4 system
6) Select "Download" to start downloading the content
7) Select "Continue" to complete Code redemption on the PS4

Re: Destiny - 06/15/14 10:19 PM

Is it multiplayer only?

BTW, I'm pretty sure in that last screen shot Mace is saying "The moon is a beautiful planet".

Re: Destiny - 06/15/14 10:25 PM

You can team up and play it co-op like Borderlands or go it alone. There is the Crucible where there are the usual MP modes like domination and TDM etc. but you don't have to touch that part at all.

I'm not sure whether you will need to have PSN/Xbox Live for the main game as when I went into the Crucible it said 'PSN needed for play' whereas that was not stated anywhere for the normal game which is always online.

Re: Destiny - 06/15/14 10:40 PM

So the always online game has a story mode?

Re: Destiny - 06/15/14 10:43 PM

There is an underlying 'why you're there' but I'm not sure how much story will be told yet. The alpha has lots of missions scattered around to do and one dungeon called a Strike in Destiny. I guess as we get closer to release more details will be released.
Posted By: kludger

Re: Destiny - 06/16/14 01:23 AM

Got a chance to try it and liked what I saw, the controls feel pretty good for a console shooter, and it runs and looks beautiful.

Some of you guys who are farther along, can you confirm if you are able to take on some of the more poweful enemies by yourself?

I haven't leveled up much but I ran into a few groups of enemies that I couldn't seem to do much with by myself and I wasn't sure if it was just me being a low level char or if I was only supposed to be able to handle those events when grouped up with others, in which case I should be able to follow some of the other players I saw running around which I ignored.

Re: Destiny - 06/16/14 11:58 AM

Just seen a tweet from Bungie that alpha may be extended! smile
Posted By: Sethos88

Re: Destiny - 06/16/14 01:18 PM

Not may, will be extended. However it's at 'your own risk'. Basically they will be using it as a test environment, which most likely means crazy public events and other fun stuff.

Re: Destiny - 06/16/14 01:29 PM

Cool, I'm in biggrin

Re: Destiny - 06/17/14 06:49 AM

Keep finding more areas in this alpha, its really a massive landmass were on and the devs have said its only 10% of the final game.

I found a valley to the right of the slope before the building with the radar on top. Follow it round (great to navigate with your Speeder) you'll come to some grounded ships. Careful though as go too far and you'll come across some enemies with ??? where their level should be. They kill you fast....
Posted By: Weaponz248

Re: Destiny - 08/29/14 11:15 AM

Im looking at getting this game on XB1. Is it multiplayer only or is it both single and multi?

Re: Destiny - 08/29/14 11:26 AM

It's at heart a coop game but you can play by yourself but if you do Strikes (dungeons essentially) you get matched with others.

There is a MP section called the Crucible which is bog standard TDM, CTF etc. I played once and don't think I'll bother again.

The seemless coop/sp is great though, even if you play alone you will still see others running around doing their stuff.

Re: Destiny - 08/29/14 07:20 PM

So im going to be without internet for a while because we are moving in the middle of september. I was going to get Destiny or NHL 15.is Destiny more like a MMO or can it be played offline?

Re: Destiny - 08/29/14 07:26 PM

I think it may need access to the net, not sure though.

Re: Destiny - 08/29/14 10:24 PM

THats the impression I got. No biggie, Ill get NHL 15 then get Destiny for Christmas. If it bombs ill save money!! neaner
Posted By: kestrel79

Re: Destiny - 09/04/14 12:24 AM

Still on the fence with this. I'm looking for a ps4 game that I can play online with some friends, not many of them play Battlefield and I'm over CoD about 4 releases ago.

Sounds like there will be a lot of expansion packs.

Re: Destiny - 09/10/14 11:29 AM

So, had it delivered yesterday and had not really been looking forward to it but I started playing after work and 2 hours later turned it off and went and did something else. Either I have burnt out on the beta (as the release game is what we played in the beta over and over) or I really am starting to lose interest in ALL games.

I have an interest in it but can't be bothered to play. Perhaps once I get past the beta areas it will become more interesting to me. One thing that annoyed me was that to progress in the story and get to new areas you do the missions that appear on the map and they are for certain levels (but you can do if lower level than stated but is harder obviously) and I like to do them when I'm at the stated level. So there is a level 5 one and I'm level 4 so I think I'll do what I did in the beta and do some free roam and level up that way. Launched into free roam, got a random mission that takes me into an area with level 9 Knights which kill me with one shot. Try running past, killed with one shot, try fighting in and out of cover, killed with one shot... What is the point of putting the area I need to get to behind enemies I don't have a hope in hell of beating? I turned off at that point.

I'll retry tonight but I feel like I'm making myself play it.
Posted By: NimRud

Re: Destiny - 09/10/14 02:44 PM

Got my xb1 yesterday with a copy of Destiny and started playing for about 2-3 hours after the install finished.
Was surprised it went relatively smoothly with only one disconnect. Not bad for launch day.

Very much like what I´ve seen so far! Didn´t participate in the beta so all areas are new for me.

Reminds me very much of a mix between Halo and Borderlands. Both games I enjoy tremendously and I hope Destiny can live up to the high expectations and deliver some solid gameplay over the next time.

Mace, I had a similar experience doing a story mission for my lvl 2 character.
Went into some tunnel and got into a confrontation with a lvl 16 enemy. That came as a surprise though a very short lived one.
And I wasn´t the only player who was sent to the last respawn point instantly as I witnessed when I tried a few more times to get a way around that monster. biggrin

If anyone on xb1 wants to give that game (or another one) a try in multiplay feel free to add me to your friend list on xBox live; NimrudSHQ.
Destiny is probably a ton more fun playing it together as a group on voicecoms.
Posted By: Discord

Re: Destiny - 09/11/14 01:28 PM

I am Tempest45, got the XBox One and Destiny at the midnight release after I redeemed some credit card reward points. Currently a level 10 Titan but my daughters have created a blue girl warlock and a robot girl warlock which I may play too on their behalf.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Destiny - 09/11/14 02:30 PM

Like I said before, it sure looks interesting, but not really into Sci Fi games... all the videos I have seen thou contain a shooter pet peeve of mind, IE: Borderlands was terrible with it too... and that's taking to many rounds to kill a target, drives me nuts to see it take a full mag or so to kill a bad guy, probably why I play Hardcore most of the time.... enjoy the game thou folks, does LOOK incredible.
Posted By: Peally

Re: Destiny - 09/11/14 04:50 PM

Yeah health bars are pretty obnoxious, I liked how Halo did it with certain enemies having strong points but everyone was still vulnerable

Still keeping an eye on this, I might pick up a next gen console at some point
Posted By: Snap

Re: Destiny - 09/11/14 05:20 PM

I have it on 360.

Re: Destiny - 09/11/14 05:50 PM

Now I'm out of the beta area and totally new levels I like it again smile but I can see it becoming repetitive fast as it is pretty much rinse and repeat...

Re: Destiny - 09/13/14 12:14 AM

Really struggling to like the missions, they are rinse and repeat without any attempt to hide it! Go to a planet, fight your way to area/building X, find data, have Ghost download data and then OOOPS here come the baddies again, fight them off whilst it is downloaded. Back to the Tower, then off to do the same over and over.

Even the weapons and armour and re-skins and the game is all about the loot.

Wish I'd gone with my gut instinct after the beta and not bought in...
Posted By: LeemzHQ

Re: Destiny - 09/13/14 11:28 AM

Just got my XBO this week. I debated whether to buy the bundle with Destiny and BF4 or the bundle with FM5 and BF4. I opted for FM5 with BF4. Without a wheel, I know I won't play FM5 all that much but, honestly, I'm glad I didn't get Destiny. Despite all the hype, from the video and reviews I've seen, I'd have not liked this very much. The SP does look repetitive and the MP seems too much like Halo, which I hated (yeah, I know, blasphemy).

Re: Destiny - 09/13/14 01:41 PM

Sold it this morning.

After playing till late last night, pretty much the same thing over and over I just couldn't justify the £40 I'd spent on it. Got £35 for it so only lost a fiver.

It looks gorgeous and is a good idea but flawed. I have heard people saying it's not a game you play on your own but I don't want to play with anyone else, having to wait until someone else ready to play it and even then the repetition is still there.

Glad I got my money back. Bungie, stick to Halo.

Re: Destiny - 09/13/14 03:32 PM

Don´t feel the urge to fire up my box just to play Destiny but the moment I start playing it I enjoy it. Weird.

It works best for me in those rare moments when you encounter other players and do some ad hoc group stuff together in public events like "Defend/Destroy/etc. that...".

Was hoping for a bit more story driven singleplayer action but as long as the game keeps me coming back looking for more action I´ m happy.

Only a lvl 8 Titan right now and just having reached the moon, there is still plenty of content left and I´ m taking my time anyway. No rush to reach the end of the game.

Re: Destiny - 09/13/14 03:40 PM

Oh I'm sure there will be plenty of content and even more in all the DLC they'll be selling but it will still be the same rinse and repeat formula. Borderlands is far superior, never did a mission feel like the last and at least when you killed a boss THEY DROPPED LOOT!!! In Destiny they drop absolutely nothing. It's all about the loot and the drops are very few.

I got a Warlock to level 11 and couldn't do one more cookie cutter mission. That's another thing there is very little difference between the 3 classes other than they punch differently...

Re: Destiny - 09/15/14 05:13 PM

I actually prefer the way Destiny does loot, although I could certainly do without bosses entirely.

If I shotgun someone to death I don't expect much worth keeping to survive the splosion. However in Borderlands it works because it's a very stylized game; Destiny is like Borderlands serious mode.

I'm enjoying both wink
Posted By: archermav

Re: Destiny - 09/15/14 05:36 PM

I'm not really feeling the love for it. Playing on PS4. As others have said, rinse and repeat. I preferred Wolfenstein.
Posted By: WangoTango

Re: Destiny - 09/20/14 12:39 AM

Not loving Destiny either. Wish it had an old school campaign. MP seams pointless as well. Level 26 guys kicking the #%&*$# out of me (level 6) over and over.

Re: Destiny - 09/20/14 07:33 AM

Even my 15 year old son is bored of it, as are his friends, and asked if he can sell his copy. He finished the game and got max level and legendary armour etc. said it was the same repetitive missions all the way through.

Definitely the most over hyped game I've come across.

Re: Destiny - 09/22/14 02:27 PM

If I had nothing to do in life but school I'd be bored with it too biggrin

I've been enjoying it so far

Re: Destiny - 09/22/14 02:42 PM

Took a break in Destiny and only started playing yesterday again.

First strike mission on Earth with another friend and a random guy.
One lvl 11 and two lvl 6 characters all running it for the first time. We died a lot (of course) but had tons more fun than playing the story missions alone. charge thumbsup

Angry Joe sums it up nicely in his review imo!

Posted By: kestrel79

Re: Destiny - 09/23/14 12:15 AM

That is hilarious and I agree with it haha.
Posted By: Master

Re: Destiny - 09/26/14 12:17 AM

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EHVtZsCZ1TA

Re: Destiny - 09/26/14 02:13 PM

Yeah I've seen some scary looking characters in the hub area
Posted By: Haggart

Re: Destiny - 09/28/14 02:30 AM

So Destiny doesn't seem to have much replay value. What PS4 shooter or other action game out there has at least 1 year of good online entertainment with good replay value. Don't want to blow money on a game that's only going to be fun for a few months and thats it.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums