homepage

An interesting device for mounting the MS Xbox 360 wheel

Posted By: Revvin

An interesting device for mounting the MS Xbox 360 wheel - 06/19/07 07:05 AM

I've been toying with the idea of getting the official 360 FF wheel as I think it might help my lap times in Forza having a smoother steering input (at least I hope its smoother). My problem is I don't have anything to clamp the wheel onto where my Xbox lives only comfy chairs and a settee (or couch if you are reading in the States \:\) ) I can't imagine using the FF wheel unsecured on my lap as I fear it would move around too much and ruin the immersion of playing with a wheel and affect the effectiveness of using a wheel.

I've been reading through the official Xbox 360 forums and found a link to this device which retails at a very reasonable £19.99. As you can see from the pictures linked below it can be adjusted to suit most sizes, has anyone tried this device out?

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Posted By: Hengist

Re: An interesting device for mounting the MS Xbox 360 wheel - 06/19/07 07:10 AM

Now that is a great idea. I like the simplicity of the design, and the price seems very reasonable.

Thanks Revvin.

Re: An interesting device for mounting the MS Xbox 360 wheel - 06/19/07 07:20 AM

In fact Revvin, I've just ordered one. \:\) It had a free delivery option (Super Saver, or something). I've pre-ordered it. The release date is... 29th of June, 2007
Posted By: RMachucaA

Re: An interesting device for mounting the MS Xbox 360 wheel - 06/19/07 07:21 AM

please do let us know how it is, im very interested aswell

Re: An interesting device for mounting the MS Xbox 360 wheel - 06/19/07 07:31 AM

Wilco RMachucaA.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: An interesting device for mounting the MS Xbox 360 wheel - 06/19/07 07:55 AM

that is very intresting, but it does nothing for the pedals... and I had more problems with the pedals sliding around then the wheel... till i bought my racing chair of course. ;\)

Re: An interesting device for mounting the MS Xbox 360 wheel - 06/19/07 08:10 AM

That's true Magnum, but you were trying to play on a hard, smooth, slippery, tiled surface (There's also the problem of your webbed foot to consider \:\) ). Me, I have my pedal unit on the carpet. With the design of the pedal unit, and its 'cut-out' for placing the heels of your feet in contact with the carpet, means that it is firmly anchored and it doesn't move.

I know that you know this Magnum, but my reply was really intended for people considering purchasing the MS wheel, who may have read your reply and may have gotten the wrong idea. I didn't want them to think that pedal unit shift (Hey, is that a new term? lol) was a problem factor, when playing on a surface that has high friction qualities, e.g. A carpet or rug.

Of course the unit that Revvin has made us aware of, isn't going to be as good as your dedicated racing chair, but it is a cheaper alternative and it looks to be far better than playing with the wheel unit resting on your lap (Plus, when in your lap, the electro-magnetic field, generated by the servo motors of the wheel unit, radiating above the testicals, doesn't sound terribly healthy to me \:\) ).
Posted By: Leeman

Re: An interesting device for mounting the MS Xbox 360 wheel - 06/19/07 11:18 AM

For people having trouble keeping their floor pedals from sliding around I've found a relatively cheap fix.

Buy yourself a thick bathroom rug. These rugs are designed specifically to not slip on smooth surfaces and they're usually thick enough to keep your pedal unit firmly in place when you place it on top.

It worked for me. Give it a try.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: An interesting device for mounting the MS Xbox 360 wheel - 06/19/07 02:18 PM

yes that is true hengist... I do have tile and that is a big problem... I would imagine carpet would be alot better.
Posted By: PositiveG

Re: An interesting device for mounting the MS Xbox 360 wheel - 06/19/07 02:59 PM

That's exactly what's needed.

It also needs cup holders! After all, drinking and virtual driving go hand in hand.

Re: An interesting device for mounting the MS Xbox 360 wheel - 06/19/07 03:20 PM

Lol P, you're absolutely correct. I do have a drink-drive problem, I keep spilling my damn Beer. \:\)
© 2024 SimHQ Forums