homepage

I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ...

Posted By: Linebacker

I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 01:25 AM

New guys (I call them that but they might be experienced ArmA players!) have other ArmA 3 mods installed with the EXACT same folder names as what’s included in the SimHQ mod addon! CONFLICT!!!

What does it take to get a “SimHQ_” tacked onto the front of the SimHQ mod folder names around here?!
Posted By: EricJ

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 01:39 AM

Right-click, Rename. Re-upload.

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 01:49 AM

Exactly! smile

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 02:17 AM

While I'm at it, the TFAR implementation here at SimHQ is really lackluster and nonintuitive.
Posted By: near_blind

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Linebacker
While I'm at it, the TFAR implementation here at SimHQ is really lackluster and nonintuitive.

care to elaborate?

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 02:31 AM

Random channel frequency settings.

Do we even have long range comms to our air assets working yet?

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 02:39 AM

Care to elaborate?

It's been a bit since I've made a session, but last time I checked in everything but the warm up mission both radios were preprogrammed upon mission init, and the short ranged set were set on a fireteam basis.

Communication between air and ground assets has always worked provided that both sides have a compatible radio. It's up to the pilot and whomever wants to talk to him to get on the same freq.

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: near_blind

Care to elaborate?

It's been a bit since I've made a session, but last time I checked in everything but the warm up mission both radios were preprogrammed upon mission init, and the short ranged set were set on a fireteam basis.

Communication between air and ground assets has always worked provided that both sides have a compatible radio. It's up to the pilot and whomever wants to talk to him to get on the same freq.

Ya, no, that ain't hapnin'

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 02:50 AM

Forget the radios near_blind.

The SimHQ mod pack itself isn't working for most new users. Lets focus on that.

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 03:03 AM

What part of it isn't working? In what way is it not working? Conceptually? Technically? Spiritually?

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 03:06 AM

What part of it isn't working? In what way is it not working? Conceptually? Technically? Spiritually?

New guys (I call them that but they might be experienced ArmA players!) have other ArmA 3 mods installed with the EXACT same folder names as what’s included in the SimHQ mod addon! CONFLICT!!!

What does it take to get a “SimHQ_” tacked onto the front of the SimHQ mod folder names around here?!

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 03:11 AM

When I was in J-SERE last year that drove me up the wall to get working. What you do is take the userconfig folder and put it in the main Arma 3 directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\Arma3 directory, it initially won't be there, just create a new folder "userconfig" and put the "task_force_radio" folder in there.

Then put the TS plugin .dlls in the TS3 plugins folder

Put the mod folder @Task Force Arrowhead Radio

Open TS3, enable the plugin, then start the game, go online on a server, equip a radio, and key it, and check 3D audio, and there you go.

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 03:22 AM

Thanks EricJ. thumbsup
Posted By: DeadMeat

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 03:41 AM

I had to reinstall everything about a week ago and had no problems. I re downloaded the mod, set them all up and was playing on the server in no time. I don't think it's an issue with the mod pack.

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 03:52 AM

Thanks EricJ. thumbsup

No problem man wink

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 03:53 AM

1) Unpack the modpack using your compression library of choice in a place that is not your Arma 3 install.
2) Right-click the folder you want to rename and select rename from the right-click menu.
3) The entire folder name will be highlighted, click in front of the folder name, but after the @ sign to de-highlight the name.
4) Type SimHQ_.
5) Hit enter on the keyboard.
6) Repeat steps 2-5 as needed for each folder.
7) Copy the the folders into your Arma 3 install.

Sarcasm aside, it's not unreasonable to expect a player that runs multiple modpacks to be able to self manage versioning conflicts between them.

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 04:29 AM

1) Unpack the modpack using your compression library of choice in a place that is not your Arma 3 install.
2) Right-click the folder you want to rename and select rename from the right-click menu.
3) The entire folder name will be highlighted, click in front of the folder name, but after the @ sign to de-highlight the name.
4) Type SimHQ_.

Sarcasm aside, it's not unreasonable to expect a player that runs multiple modpacks to be able to self manage versioning conflicts between them.

Really?
Posted By: Meatsheild

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 07:27 AM

The radios auto-sync IF YOU HAVE A TEAM LEADER IN YOUR GROUP. If you dont then the freqs will be out of sync. Trust me when i say this, a LOT of time was spent trying to make it work 100% of the time, team leader or not, but we havnt been able to do it. It annoys me as well, but in fairness, it only takes all of 20-30 secs to change a freq on the radios smile

As for the prefix, i do see your point and it has been noted for the future (and i was thinking about the same thing last week anyway!)
Posted By: Fridge

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 01:23 PM

Radios: It's not rocket science to write down the frequencies and enter them? Not trying to be sarcastic or anti-Linebacker here but that's what I have been doing since TFAR was introduced and it works every time.

And near_blinds steps work.
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Fridge
Radios: It's not rocket science to write down the frequencies and enter them? Not trying to be sarcastic or anti-Linebacker here but that's what I have been doing since TFAR was introduced and it works every time.

It's not rocket science, no, but it is a barrier to entry. It's one thing to make a game difficult to play, it's another to make it difficult to play the game, if you get my meaning.

I don't see the illogic in suggesting that if SimHQ is going to customize and use a popular, nonexclusive mod the names should be altered to reflect that so that people who choose to play MP elsewhere don't run into "well you have a Chernarus but not this Chernarus" issues.

I think SimHQ's Arma is having an identity crisis. Where does it lie? We're not as hardcore as Shacktac or some others, so people who want that experience are turned off by our more relaxed style. Yet we're not as open and easy as some other places, so people who have the game alone come in and find they need several GB of mods plus a TS3 mod that must be properly enabled just to connect.

This is the root of our attendance problems, I think. Personally I've been having scheduling issues lately that have kept me away, I could've shown up around 15 mins late last night, but I didn't bother because I knew the mission had likely already started and it could be an hour till it ended and people came back to the TS3 channel to even tell me what was going on. Yet I think for many people it's not the starting time as much as SimHQ has become a niche within a niche--heavily modded to a specific point yet very casual in other ways with such a small regular attendance that it limits the types of missions we can do (since you don't need to lose too many guys out of 9 to make a mission unwinnable).

I'm not going to pretend to have the answer, but I think it apparent that our current direction is seeing attendance continue to dwindle and not increase, so something has to change--and by that I don't mean "add mod X".

We're balancing on a knife's edge and we have to choose which way to go.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 02:37 PM

Some of the issue with re-bundled addons/mods is that I have actually had a few authors tell me (in years past) that I *could not* rename their folders, or otherwise "change" their release. A couple refused to allow their addon to be bundled with any other addons, period.

It can be a complex issue, with lots of PM exchanges trying to massage a mutually favorable agreement.

TFAR does add a layer of complexity, I agree. It does limit (or even completely remove) some play elements I've enjoyed for years here at SimHQ. But it does what it does well, and *is* able to be setup by most players in 5 minutes or less. EricJ covers the basics, and I might add that all of those points are in our setup sticky thread (thanks Fridge!).

Outside the initial ACE issue, the game-breaker new player issue last night had zero to do with any of this, however. The corrupted .p3d file he suffered isn't due to addon folder names, or TFAR, not a user error, anything like that. Based on my experience with Arma, this was a tech fault. A file corrupted during download, or perhaps decompression/installation. Very rare.

He was good to go, otherwise, and I hope he'll be set to join us next time!
Posted By: JG26 vonVampr

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

It's not rocket science, no, but it is a barrier to entry. It's one thing to make a game difficult to play, it's another to make it difficult to play the game, if you get my meaning.

I don't see the illogic in suggesting that if SimHQ is going to customize and use a popular, nonexclusive mod the names should be altered to reflect that so that people who choose to play MP elsewhere don't run into "well you have a Chernarus but not this Chernarus" issues.

I think SimHQ's Arma is having an identity crisis. Where does it lie? We're not as hardcore as Shacktac or some others, so people who want that experience are turned off by our more relaxed style. Yet we're not as open and easy as some other places, so people who have the game alone come in and find they need several GB of mods plus a TS3 mod that must be properly enabled just to connect.

This is the root of our attendance problems, I think. Personally I've been having scheduling issues lately that have kept me away, I could've shown up around 15 mins late last night, but I didn't bother because I knew the mission had likely already started and it could be an hour till it ended and people came back to the TS3 channel to even tell me what was going on. Yet I think for many people it's not the starting time as much as SimHQ has become a niche within a niche--heavily modded to a specific point yet very casual in other ways with such a small regular attendance that it limits the types of missions we can do (since you don't need to lose too many guys out of 9 to make a mission unwinnable).

I'm not going to pretend to have the answer, but I think it apparent that our current direction is seeing attendance continue to dwindle and not increase, so something has to change--and by that I don't mean "add mod X".

We're balancing on a knife's edge and we have to choose which way to go.

The Jedi Master

First the radios. If you've taken a medic slot and no one is in the top command slot you will need to change your radio feq. It takes 5 seconds, literally 5 seconds to do this. I really don't see what the big deal is??

As far as attendance goes, I think it's fine. 12ish players show up every week to play, sometimes more and sometimes less but normally enough to populate most missions. I'm not really sure what your expectations are for numbers, but getting 12+ guys to show up regularly seems pretty good for a non clan/unit pick-up session. Lets not drag out the drama lama where one isn't needed.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 02:53 PM

+1 adlabs.

As for dwindling attendance, I don't think this has to do with any of the mods or TFAR. It's something that naturally happens over time. Attendance for both ArmA and ArmA 2 dropped significantly after about the first year and a half of playing.

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

If people are being kept away for a specific reason, I'd invite them to speak up as to why. The entire point of the modpack is add assets that people want to use: One of the biggest complaints I see leveraged at Arma 3 is that it was too futuristic and nobody wanted to play star wars or whatever, so we picked up RHS. TFAR was added because people it's a novel way to enforce comms discipline. The map pack is there because people kept complaining about how Altis and Stratis were too brown/samey/flat.

I have heard gripes about how large it is, and I've heard a few complaints about how complicated TFAR is (it's not, it takes some reading, and it can be turned off by the mission maker in anycase), but I've never heard anyone say the modpack is the primary reason they've stayed away. If it is what's keeping you away, please speak up, I'm sure changes can be made.

If anyone cares, the reason I've been gone the last month is nothing so sinister. I've been playing the same game 2-3 times a week, plus time for mission development, for over two years. I'm burned out, I'm taking a hiatus. I'll see y'all in the winter.

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 10:33 PM

I really don't want to speak up though. I'm just a "why can't we all get along" kind of guy.

Ok. My 2 cents.

Since we added TFAR and ACE3 it seems to me that our numbers are declining. That may be a coincidence or causation but I understand how to can chop up the 'fun'. I might be having fun lugging around a wounded comrade who is incapacitated but I am fairly sure he is not having fun.

Same goes for comms: I enjoy the challenge and I am willing to work through that challenge. Others, not so much. I had no problem with the first TFAR sessions after we decided on a frequency structure - I wrote it down and I don't need the comms tuned automagically at the start of a mission. Not everyone wants that.

Let me dig at Meatshield a little here to illustrate a point. A couple of weeks ago a small set of us were working through the warm-up/domination mission and were having a grand time making our way, cooperatively, through a town. It was the best domination mission (and one of the better missions) that I have played. And it was all because no one was invincible - we all had to work together and no one was standing in the middle of the fire, picking off all the bad guys with impunity. And I agree with Meatshield and his reasoning - he wants to be invincible during the warm-up because that is fun for him. It's not fun for me but it is fun for him. I can respect that.

I can also not turn up for the domination warm-up if it is not fun for me.

Look, this is a cooperative community. A Community. We are all not going to agree what the definition of 'fun' is. I want tactics, teamwork and a challenge. Not everyone wants that.

What's the solution?
Posted By: USMC BEANS

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 11:29 PM

I for one can't get TFAR to work. I have followed all the instructions and it still does not show up in my TS3 plug-ins list. It's pretty much keeping me from playing on SimHQ.

PS
Comms not working actually makes the game more life like.

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/22/15 11:49 PM

Disregard. The Armaholic link had a different folder structure than the on directly from the TFAR creator. The .dll files had to be in the plug-in folder, not the TS3 Client folder.
Posted By: TankerWade

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/23/15 12:05 AM

So let me get my controversial opinion out first, Trump style - Sometimes the ability to configure the Sim, the mods that go with it, and any other quirks (read: bugs) that arise, is the cost of entry to this sport. The complexity is what makes it a Sim and not a game. Now before you brand me an elitist, I do not mean Mozart-level technical ability only need apply. When I say ability I mean the determination to persevere through the false starts, the crashes, the corrupt files, and the unique ways that a sim is setup. I mean the willingness to show up early and try to get it figured out and ask questions, both in the channel and here on the forums. We already have a plug and play, fire it up and go co-op shootie game. It's called Insurgency and we play on Friday nights. Good fun too. Arma 3 has always been a different beast. It does things that no other game can, it's fiddly and data heavy. Even with a "relaxed" group like us, some players are going to have to work at it a bit. I read the forums here for a month before I got up the nerve to join a Thursday session, and when I did I showed up early and asked a lot of questions. I was fortunate to have Deadmeat patiently sort me out, but I knew even then it wasn't for everyone.

Yes I agree that the mods make it hard to get new players. But I would also argue that without the mods We would have stopped playing a long time ago. I think that if BIS had went with real world equipment instead of near-future stuff we would be in a better place in terms of ease of configuration, but they didn't so we add gbs of files to balance and vary the gameplay and help new players through the complexity as best we can.

I think the admins here have done a good job of making the mods as easy to setup as possible. There are instruction posts, videos, this forum, and pre-play time to get sorted. Its not that hard.

Having said that - I would like to see as much use of the workshop going forward as possible. My ACE updated through the workshop and I had no trouble on the server and the new healing dialog is WAY better. Just tell people to add Ace and CBA through Steam and you'll have that much fewer files to put in a pack.

The radios... ... I am not so cut and dried on the radios.. I like them alot..and then I don't like them..maybe a different post...

The early session used to be one of my favorite parts of the night but now not so much. I can't fly anything because of the stupid visibility cone of shame and the infantry action is teleport and shoot, get Meatshield to res you, teleport..
I actually had a lot of fun with Ads and Prof and Vampr the other night following them in a littlebird while they drove the truck across country at night.

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/23/15 12:55 AM

If you use TAW_VD (or the Red, usually, setting) you can adjust your viewdistance there, or go in the Configure/Video and do it that way. For some reason the game in MP makes air visibility worse than ground fighting, and drove me up a wall one time, couldn't land because there was no way to adjust the setting. Once it's implemented, you can then tweak the visibility to something useable, as I crank it up so I can fly better.

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/23/15 01:20 AM

Eric, is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19751

If so, I'll take a look at integrating it into one of my air missions to test.
Posted By: mugwump

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/23/15 03:49 AM

I quit playing because I found that I was enjoying myself less and being frustrated more and it just kind of stopped being fun. I would have liked to get a bit more time trying out other types of roles besides infantry in the missions but I found that I was rarely getting a chance to fly anything but ferry flights or operate a vehicle as anything other than a driver as those slots always seemed to be nabbed by the same players.

The tipping point for me in deciding to take a break was the Zeus slot. I'd been getting kind of annoyed with the increasing frequency of having certain players jump into the Zeus slot after they'd died and mucking up the mission. The final straw was when one such player got killed, hopped into Zeus, spawned a SAM troop and shot me out of the sky as I was flying a little bird. I took about a month and a half off and was going to jump back in but the new comms systems had been adopted by then and after perusing the readme, I decided that it didn't sound like the sort of thing I'd enjoy or want to take the effort to learn.

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/23/15 10:23 AM

Quote:
"I might be having fun lugging around a wounded comrade who is incapacitated but I am fairly sure he is not having fun."

That shouldnt happen anymore, the issue there was that the medic didnt have any "blood bags", which players need if they bleed to much, alongside epi and morphine to make them concious again. Since then i've added blood bags to the medic loadouts so we shouldnt have a repeat, hopefully smile

Quote:

"Same goes for comms: I enjoy the challenge and I am willing to work through that challenge. Others, not so much. I had no problem with the first TFAR sessions after we decided on a frequency structure - I wrote it down and I don't need the comms tuned automagically at the start of a mission. Not everyone wants that."

Ture, it annoys me a bit having to program radios, but it doesnt take long and isnt all that complicated. Also, just so everyone knows the main reason why TFAR was added in the first place was that comms discipline had gone to the dogs, over half the regular players agreed on this and wanted it to be more strict like it used to be, we tried, we failed, so TFAR was added which fixed the issue overnight, and adds some pretty cool gameplay options smile

Quote:

"Let me dig at Meatshield a little here to illustrate a point. A couple of weeks ago a small set of us were working through the warm-up/domination mission and were having a grand time making our way, cooperatively, through a town. It was the best domination mission (and one of the better missions) that I have played. And it was all because no one was invincible - we all had to work together and no one was standing in the middle of the fire, picking off all the bad guys with impunity. And I agree with Meatshield and his reasoning - he wants to be invincible during the warm-up because that is fun for him. It's not fun for me but it is fun for him. I can respect that."

The only reason i go god mode is so theres at least one person alive to heal - revive - fix stuff - clear the immediate MHQ area etc etc. If it really annoys people i'll avoid going on murderous rampages and just follow the group, i dont mind smile

Quote:
"Look, this is a cooperative community. A Community. We are all not going to agree what the definition of 'fun' is. I want tactics, teamwork and a challenge. Not everyone wants that.

What's the solution?"

Its a fine line to walk isnt it? **tounge in cheeck** since they made sacraficing lamps illegal over here its been hard, the earth friendly herbel stuff just doesnt seem to cut it! frown

Quote:
"The early session used to be one of my favorite parts of the night but now not so much. I can't fly anything because of the stupid visibility cone of shame and the infantry action is teleport and shoot, get Meatshield to res you, teleport..
I actually had a lot of fun with Ads and Prof and Vampr the other night following them in a littlebird while they drove the truck across country at night."

see above for my invici reply, as to the view distance, i've narrowed it down, i tried a fix last weekend and it didnt work, so i've got another method to try, i am working on it, as i've said i didnt notice as i've only got my visibility set to 1.5k ish anyway:)

Quote:
"I quit playing because I found that I was enjoying myself less and being frustrated more and it just kind of stopped being fun. I would have liked to get a bit more time trying out other types of roles besides infantry in the missions but I found that I was rarely getting a chance to fly anything but ferry flights or operate a vehicle as anything other than a driver as those slots always seemed to be nabbed by the same players."

I find adding air into missions tricky to balance/make fun, so dont tend to, now we have less overpowering air stuff i could do a few combined arms missions. As to slots, cant really fix that for everyone, just ask nicely/beg i guess!

Quote:
"The tipping point for me in deciding to take a break was the Zeus slot. I'd been getting kind of annoyed with the increasing frequency of having certain players jump into the Zeus slot after they'd died and mucking up the mission. The final straw was when one such player got killed, hopped into Zeus, spawned a SAM troop and shot me out of the sky as I was flying a little bird."

Yea zeus is one of those fine lines. I've been tempted to change it so either only the admin can use it, or remove it entirely as we dont really use it now.

Quote:

"and was going to jump back in but the new comms systems had been adopted by then and after perusing the readme, I decided that it didn't sound like the sort of thing I'd enjoy or want to take the effort to learn."

TFAR is one of those things where its as complicated as you want to make it. Me and ads have spent a fair amount of time making it as simple as possible. We use the same freqs in every mission which are listed in the briefing section of the map and adlabs has done a script that (if your group has a team leader) automaticly sets it all up for you so all you have to do is press the transmit key smile Theres a little issue where if you dont have a teamleader in your group you have to set the freq yourself, but it takes seconds and you just type it in, press "set" on the radio, and your good to go. It takes more clicks to set off a satchel charge smile

As nearblind said guys, any issues/opinions you have etc, feel free to speak up, either here on the forums or in a PM to me, or if i scare/annoy you/just dont want me to know, then to adlabs (sure he wont mind smile ) and it'll be read and disscussed. We cant change issues we dont know about etc, and it wont be held against you or anything like that .. unless you call me french, then i'm afraid i'm gonna have to have words smile

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/23/15 11:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Meatsheild
TFAR is one of those things where its as complicated as you want to make it. Me and ads have spent a fair amount of time making it as simple as possible. We use the same freqs in every mission which are listed in the briefing section of the map and adlabs has done a script that (if your group has a team leader) automaticly sets it all up for you so all you have to do is press the transmit key smile Theres a little issue where if you dont have a teamleader in your group you have to set the freq yourself, but it takes seconds and you just type it in, press "set" on the radio, and your good to go. It takes more clicks to set off a satchel charge smile

I may have a relatively simple fix for the missing team leader issue, as well. Will give it a test session next week.

And yes, thanks to everyone posting opinions! It's the best way to determine how close to the goals the actual course is trending.
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/23/15 02:14 PM

At least people are now discussing it. For too long we've had changes made and people disappearing without comment. They may have been on the edge of leaving for awhile, then finally one small change broke the camel in half, and no one thought such a small thing could drive him away, could it? Well, no, it didn't, but there had been a lot before that which hadn't been addressed.

With no one else speaking up, they didn't feel empowered to say anything, and instead quietly left. Then the next one did. And the next one. And the next. Soon we're down 50% regular attendance with little information as to what happened.

Another issue, and I'm not exactly sure how to address it but it's a question for the mission makers, is the joining late people. As I previously mentioned, there are many Mondays (including this past one) that I've skipped because I couldn't be there till 10+ minutes after start. I knew the odds of the first mission ending real fast are slim, but I didn't try to join in progress because quite frankly our missions aren't set up for that.

To come into a mission 10 mins into a 45 min mission you'll usually find everyone is a 15 min walk away at best, as there are often vehicles involved to set up an approach from the spawn to the objective.
In domination there's the "spawn on MHQ" option to alleviate that problem. Is there any way to do this for our regular missions? Click on the slot, click go, appear amidst your squad, wherever they might be? Would it require all slots populated by AI that tag along so you can jump into them?

If more people felt comfortable with joining a bit late (because life happens), perhaps we'd have greater attendance 30 mins in than at start along with overall greater attendance?

The Jedi Master

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/23/15 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Meatsheild
comms discipline had gone to the dogs, over half the regular players agreed on this and wanted it to be more strict like it used to be, we tried, we failed, so TFAR was added which fixed the issue overnight, and adds some pretty cool gameplay options smile

Comms discipline declined after Magnum stopped attending Military Mondays. Magnum should have been a military officer because he sure put the fear of god into all the players and no one dared violate comms discipline! biggrin

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/23/15 02:56 PM

well if i remember rightly magnum was an army sergent (?) and is a police officer, so he's more than qualified to boss about a bunch of unruly people like us biggrin

Also jedi, theres a couple of us that can teleport players during regular missions, so any late comers could be teleported right into the action, or near enough to it, if need be smile

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/23/15 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: adlabs6
Eric, is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19751

If so, I'll take a look at integrating it into one of my air missions to test.

Yeah man, it's easy to implement, drop it in the mission folder, and add what's necessary and it works great. You can access it via the Action Menu.

Remember though that it affects the player only, so it's not a global setting either. But in all fairness its all good as we all have different preferences.
Posted By: TheProf

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/23/15 03:23 PM

I don't have any real issues with the current situation. I had issues getting the mods working, but I worked at it until everything did work.

My philosophy is maybe a bit different, in that I'm not concerned about getting new players or even keeping the numbers up, my concern is that the "core regulars" are happy with the situation. That's because without a couple of the people who make the missions, do server admin and build the mods, it would all fade away in a week or two.

So on the mods, if there are things I would prefer to be different, I might mention it and see what the reaction is, but I'd stop there. I'm not criticizing anyone who see's it differently, that's just my view. It comes from my IL-2 days, when the regulars got feed up and started leaving, it died very rapidly. In IL-2 I was one of the regulars that did admin, built missions and mods and know all the hundreds of hours that go into making this work, so I'm always grateful for all the work that goes into this, to make it work week after week. smile

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/23/15 04:45 PM

+1 Prof

Well stated!

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/23/15 10:50 PM

So when I look over the current setup, what could improve?

The maps, units and weapons? All thumbs up from me. A few are rough, but they provide much needed variety.

ACE3? Thumbs up. I've got to say, I'm very pleased with ACE as we run it now. Easy to customize, decent interaction (the chase-prone menus could be better), excellent depth of function, and a nice medical "simulation".

TFAR? Maybe thumbs down? Or maybe just meh? When things are good, TFAR does add nicely to the experience.

But I often feel lost without some of the long standing basics VON/comms: Welcoming and directing a JIP player to a needed role, having voice input from players as to whether they are (or want to go) broken arrow, and just all around keeping my head "on target" when it comes to understanding what happened in a mission. Why did we win or lose? With the narrowed comms scope, I am often very alone, with only fragmentary understanding of not only the battlefield situation (realistic), but the gameplay (which is annoying).

But if we *were* to drop TFAR, as mentioned before, we'd have to crack down on quality comms on Mondays, which I'm not sure everyone is interested in.

All just my thoughts, feel free to share own about what might improve in the next addon release?

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/23/15 11:53 PM

Contrary to what people probably think, I'm actually thumbs up on the whole package adlabs! thumbsup

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/23/15 11:56 PM

4) Type SimHQ_.

Getting this thread back on track (I think it’s gone off the rails) ...

I just realized the steps above are a complete waste of time.

You just have to create a folder in your root ARMA3 folder called SHQV4 (or whatever) and move any mods you want to keep separate there (which would be all the mod folders included in the SHQV4 download).

This bypasses having to change the folder names and keeps authors who don’t want their folder names changed happy.

Maybe the mods in any future SHQ offerings could be structured this way, for example, all the mod folders contained in a root SHQV5 folder. Install the SHQV5 folder to your root ARMA3 folder and Bob's your uncle! smile

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/24/15 12:04 AM

Wait. Is all of this moot? My SimHQ mods are in my @SHQV4 directory and my maps are in my @SHQTerrainPack. I have my mods in Arma3_Mods and I use the launcher to enable/disable mods.

Isn't this standard procedure since the Launcher was introduced?

If I remember correctly, the .zip file that has the SimHQ mods has those @ directories in it already?

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/24/15 12:04 AM

You can put multiple mods in one folder, which is why I don't understand why there's probably so many. Collect all the mods in one folder, and add it as one download. Gaming units do it all the time, or for those who have say, Play With Six, or whatnot, do that method, keeps things organized and sane.

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/24/15 12:07 AM

Wait. Is all of this moot? My SimHQ mods are in my @SHQV4 directory and my maps are in my @SHQTerrainPack. I have my mods in Arma3_Mods and I use the launcher to enable/disable mods.

Isn't this standard procedure since the Launcher was introduced?

LOL! Good question! biggrin (Ragtop did mention something like this in his install vid! smile )

It should damn well be standard procedure but it wasn't. There is no root folder called SHQV4 in the download ... just the mod folders.

Here's my new SHQV4 folder ...

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/24/15 12:41 AM

Ahh right. RHS, ACE and TFAR could not be 'repackaged' as the other stuff was. So if you rename each of those to @<Original_Name>_SHQ that should solve the problem.

I know it would be an issue if you were running a newer (or older) version of those mods and things might get confused.

That's what I did ... renamed @ace (to @ace_SHQ), @RHS* and @task_force_radio (same pattern)

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/24/15 12:51 AM

RHS and ACE were INDEED 'repackaged' into the SHQV4 download! The whole point now is to NOT have to rename any folders! smile

Speaking of TFAR, it WAS a separate download. Does this mean that we should all update to the latest TFAR since any new users are probably using it? It's been bumping my head every time I run TeamSpeak but I just put it off thinking it might cause version problems.

If we keep the same older version, I'll just throw it into my SHQV4 folder as well.

This could also explain any TFAR problems I might've been having. banghead

Speaking of TFAR, why isn’t presetting radio frequencies on your radios a simple client side config setting?! Set ‘em and forget ‘em!!!

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/24/15 04:11 AM

Speaking of Domination, can you post up a link of the mission we use for Domination? I would like to be able to host it on the days that the server isn't running.

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/24/15 12:55 PM

It should have downloaded to your mission cache directory ... which I can not remember the name of at the moment. It may be in your Arma3 profile directory (<Documents>\Arma3) or maybe your user directory (c:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\).

Otherwise I am sure Adlabs or Meatshield can send it to you.

Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... - 09/27/15 01:10 AM

Adlabs, can you PM me the Domination we use for Altis so that I can host it when the server is not active?
© 2024 SimHQ Forums