homepage

1.08 Patch Observations

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 03:47 AM

I got to do a couple hours of online gaming last night with the new patch. One thing I immediately noticed was a frame-rate improvement across the board. I also noticed that the shaders looked nicer.
Posted By: kadiir

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 04:33 AM

Last night? Just curious - how'd you get the patch early? Are you a beta tester or something?
Posted By: Razorback

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 07:11 AM

He means last night as in last night.
Posted By: Groove

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 07:21 AM

I was able to play the new single player mission and the performance boost is HUGE for me. Maybe because im using a ATI card.

This was the first patch i felt somthing has been improved.
Posted By: KaBoNG

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 07:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Groove
I was able to play the new single player mission...

What new single player mission? All I see is the Library, which is kinda porked (try looking at blufor land vehicles armor and all you can see is a machine gun - where is the Abrams?)
Posted By: eonel

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 08:24 AM

I tried the Armoury missions last night & sometimes they work, sometimes they don't

I particularly liked the car & person assault courses. However sometimes it generated impossible or boring missions. Eg boring swimming for hours to earn points as a civillian, or the impossibility taking an OH6 to attack an area defended by soldiers with surface-air missiles.

Perhaps the performance boost is huge on the Armoury missions because there are not a lot of units on it. From normal missions I would not judge the performance increase as "HUGE" & I'm on ATI also.
Posted By: Orangutan

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 08:45 AM

On my not-so-cutting-edge system the 1.08 performs noticeably better than 1.05, although I wouldn't call the performance boost 'huge' either. But e.g. flying a helicopter over the larger towns seems noticeably smoother. Also, the textures seem to load faster now.

I didn't have much time yesterday so I only tried a couple of missions to check out how 1.08 performs, but I seem to have missed the 'Armory' missions. Where are they?(yes, who reads readmes anyway? :D)

And is the A-10 solo mission from the US version available anywhere for us euro-schmucks?
Posted By: Vitesse

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 10:48 AM

1.08 is good here too. Loads better and good FPS in towns (nvidia 7600gs 256 agp).

Had a Joystick problem caused by too much process closing before launch. Sorted now.

I think Armory missions come up from the 'Play' icon - easy to find anyway.

cheers, Vitesse
Posted By: Lurker_71

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 11:23 AM

I noticed no performance boost, yet it is good to finally have Armory available for us 1.05 users \:\) But I seem to have a problem with field of view and not quite sure if it is just a perception thing. The default infantry field of view seems to be wider, as in zoomed out more than how it was in 1.05 (somewhat like in full zoomed out view when driving/piloting vehicles). I'm having trouble seeing objects farther away and zooming in takes longer time it seems. And when I try to set a comfortable FOV with TrackIR zoom in/out, the FOV just plays back and forth, making it somewhat uncomfortable. I tried TrackIR center function but for zooming in/out, it is not very stable. It is particularly problematic with iron sights and the new g203 sights (a great improvement). Wider FOV is great for urban combat but in 200m+ firefights, it is an inconvenience.

Anyone else has a similar issue? It'd be nice to have the ability to adjust a default value for FOV i think.

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Groove
I was able to play the new single player mission and the performance boost is HUGE for me. Maybe because im using a ATI card.

I use a Geforce 8800 GTS so the patch seems to also improve performance for Geforce cards.
Posted By: Wepps

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 12:12 PM

Yeah, I was able to really crank up my graphics and got nice frame rates. The most noticeable improvement was the fact that FPS didn't drop hard when I was close to foliage.
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 12:28 PM

I noticed plants didn't cause as big a hit and the iron sight caused no hit at all. Major improvment with my X1950 Pro. According to my in-game readings, though, the FPS was still only in the 20s...but it was certainly smoother.

The Jedi Master

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
According to my in-game readings, though, the FPS was still only in the 20s...but it was certainly smoother.

The Jedi Master

I need to run FRAPS sometime and see the exact fps I get in Armed Assault. Of course, the fps will vary greatly depending on what part of the island you're in.
Posted By: Dart

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 01:02 PM

I popped online, saw an Evolution server and popped in hoping beyond hope...

Hurray! Vehicles on the ground rather than floating in air!

I got a little bit scared when the Blackhawk I rode was all over the place; but it turned out our pilot was just, um, challenged.

Frame rates were about the same, but I think they tightened up something in the net code, as there wasn't any warping of the bad guys.

Since there wasn't anyone from the SimHQ crowd around to witness, I made Corporal in about twenty minutes after joining up. Cayo learned that Death speaks in a little girl's voice.

\:\)

Of course, I don't know if it'll apply to the SimHQ server. Pings were about the same, but I doubt the ARMA server I was on was doing all the things the SimHQ server does.

I swear I'm gonna get guod to build me a server like the one the site uses - it must be rocking!

Anyhow, I'm beginning to suspect that the mild warping of bad guys has something to do with my low hit percentages. A little bit.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 01:08 PM

Quote:
And is the A-10 solo mission from the US version available anywhere for us euro-schmucks?

see my files page on my personal site in signature.

I see alot of improvements, alot smoother, and a few bugs I did have have been squashed, BUT v1.08 did bring in a new bug for me... if someone uses the in game VOIP, it crashes my system, i did learn that disabling hard ware acceleration in the sound options fixes it, of course I don't like disabling anything. ;\)
Posted By: Kodiak

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 01:24 PM

I have a P4 Dual core 3Ghz @ 3.22Ghz, GeForce 7600GT PCIe and 2gigs of ram and the game seems to run a lot smoother with the 1.08 patch!
Regards, Kodiak.
Posted By: enigma6584

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Wepps
Yeah, I was able to really crank up my graphics and got nice frame rates. The most noticeable improvement was the fact that FPS didn't drop hard when I was close to foliage.

Yeah, that was pretty much the same for me as well. I can now run this thing with just about everything on high with about 3 other things on normal. I am very happy with this performance, now I can actually enjoy this infantry sim for what it is.

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 02:12 PM

It's nice seeing all the previous hate for this game quickly dissipating.

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 02:27 PM

Well im using a German Version and there is a new SP mission.

I have to chose which guy i want to play, maybe the US guys know that mission already but for EU its a new one.

I looking forward for the next SimHq Evolution Madness !

I have to chose which guy i want to play, maybe the US guys know that mission already but for EU its a new one.

Posted By: Inkompetent

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 02:29 PM

Oh, well. Performance dislikes is dissapearing. The animation-system issues, that you can't run and reload and some more stuff still bogs many of us I think.

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 02:43 PM

the mission your referring to is blood, sweat, and tears... and it came with I believe v1.05, the A10 and A10 mission came with v1.06... so if you never got those then the v1.08 added them (the A10 add-on, not the mission)...

there is/was no new add-ons or missions just for v1.08...

correct me if I'm wrong, but i don't believe i am.

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 03:18 PM

Yes, the reload animations locking you in place are a major irritant, but it's a hold over from OFP. It's not as bad as poor performance, though, so I'm glad that's being optimized.

The Jedi Master

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 03:26 PM

I played on an excellent server last night, run by http://www.gol-clan.net. These guys seem to be mostly Brits and have some interesting missions. Other than one or two nutbags who did not listen to instructions, it was a very professional bunch. Having never played with any of these gents, we functioned very well together. I would highly recommend their server.

Their TS address is the same as the site and server:

http://www.gol-clan.net

In any event, I played there and had a lot of slowdown and pauses, that I had not had before. I am not sure what was causing it, but I did not have it in single player. I was also not able to record using fraps. Not sure why either. I hope it was just some hickup with my system when I was playing.
Posted By: Rook_336th

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/12/07 09:11 PM

Noticing performance improvements here as well but it was already performing well with an 8800 card installed but now at least the texture problems are gone. Online seems more stable too and I like the improved flight model of the helos (still not perfect but better). I did get one BSOD last night while playing...that wasn't so pleasant.

All in all, thumbs up, roll on for the next patch to fix the next 500 bugs.

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/13/07 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Razorback
Funny \:\)

I was curious as to how he got the patch early. His post was on Monday so "last night" would be Sunday night. Since the patch came out on Monday, I assume he got it early.

Further supporting that thought is his forum location showing Miami, FL and not somewhere in Europe or further east (west of the International Dateline).

Originally Posted By: Magnum SimHQ
Kinda tough when it ain't there! \:\)

Quote:
Magnum
Land & Armor Combat Editor
Posted By: buffybill

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/13/07 04:28 AM

Kinda tough when it ain't there! \:\)

Quote:
Magnum
Land & Armor Combat Editor

Hope you dont mind the link Magnum.

http://www.tacticsandteamwork.com/files.htm

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/13/07 04:34 AM

ya, np... sorry, forgot i removed it from my signature.

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/13/07 07:13 AM

Thanks - I actually had the link, I just forgot that was the name of Magnum's site \:\)
Posted By: Boopidoo

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/13/07 08:11 AM

I just updated to 1.08 from 1.05 and logged onto a server. The game started up nicely but when I joined I didn't have any weapons. When I got to a weapons cache I could get a M136 and M9 but none of the rifles, they just wouldn't show up.

Does this have something to do with the armory and that I have to unlock stuff before I use them?

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/13/07 08:22 AM

no... did you have ebuds units in your add-on folder when you updated?

that happened to me from 106 to 107 but not to 108.
Posted By: Boopidoo

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/13/07 09:17 AM

I don't think so, I had the RHS HIND v1.0 by and an AUG add-on.

I guess I'll have to re-install everything again.

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/13/07 01:21 PM

What mission did you join? Weapon availability can be dependent on rank online with that server.
Posted By: ebud

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/13/07 01:34 PM

no... did you have ebuds units in your add-on folder when you updated?

that happened to me from 106 to 107 but not to 108.

Oh man, don't get people started blaming my addon for errors in their updating \:\) Did the SF addon really cause issues when patching? 1.07 doesn't count. I haven't had any problems with them and only read that older Vilas's addons plus a couple others were screwing up their setup. There are plenty of posts on the BI Forum about not being able to use weapons after 1.08 and I never saw the SF addon listed as a culprit. Let me know if it is, then I may fix it. Also if you have this problem I woulnd't reinstall, just get rid of user made addons first, then try adding them back in one at a time. On the BI Forum there is a list of offenders.

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/13/07 01:36 PM

Damn you ebud!!! ;\)
Posted By: Orangutan

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/13/07 02:01 PM

Got it!

Thanks

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/13/07 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: kadiir
Originally Posted By: Razorback
Funny \:\)

I was curious as to how he got the patch early. His post was on Monday so "last night" would be Sunday night. Since the patch came out on Monday, I assume he got it early.

Further supporting that thought is his forum location showing Miami, FL and not somewhere in Europe or further east (west of the International Dateline).

No, he said "last night" referring to the game he'd finished playing an hour before. Not exactly proper usage of the term, but I guess he was assuming most people would read his post in the morning and not an hour later. \:\)

The Jedi Master

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/13/07 04:04 PM

So you're saying I should be getting to bed earlier? \:D

Re: 1.08 Patch Observations - 06/13/07 08:04 PM

Another thing I've noticed with the patch after some Evolution play is the AI path finding seems much better now - my AI repair crews are getting lost much less and they *seem* to be doing better over rough terrain...
© 2024 SimHQ Forums