homepage

Red Dead Redemption 2

Posted By: letterboy1

Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/10/18 10:53 PM

I need to work on my screenshot game, but this is a simple shot of me and the "crew" following Dutch to the train heist.

Attached picture 11-10-2018_5-47-08_PM.png
Posted By: Coot

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/11/18 07:38 PM

Did you finish the first one yet or will you do it after? I'm still only about 30% into the main story not counting all the side stuff. I've been wanting to post some pictures too but not sure if anyone would be interested. I've probably taken at least a hundred screenshots so far and have built up about 7GB of video capture too. Just about every screen capture in this game looks good. Lets just avoid spoilers if we can.

Nice atmospheric shot. I remember being on that mission and being amazed at just how high everything felt. It really did capture the fact that the gang starts the game at a higher altitude.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/11/18 08:20 PM

Coot, when I finished downloading RDR2, I immediately started playing it and haven't even considered playing the first one again - at least for a while. I mean, the first one is great, but I'm hooked on the story in RDR2 now. Anyway, here's a nice subtle rainbow. Just waiting for a unicorn. biggrin

Attached picture 11-11-2018_3-15-09_PM.png

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/11/18 08:58 PM

Oh hey sorry letterboy1. I accidentally mistook you for another member who had just started playing the first one. My apologies. I thought you were them putting down the first unfinished to play the second. So you're a player and fan of the first too. I'm really enjoying the second game too. I can't remember the last time I did this with a game but I've played it everyday for two weeks. Starting tomorrow I'm going to take a break as I'm burning myself out but by and large I'm loving it and the story. Some of the side missions are a little suspect to me but alas that's what you get with worldly Rockstar.

Love the fog, lighting, mist and smoke effects in the game. When everything works in concert it really is impressive. In case it will help with screenshots you can hold down the D-pad down button and alter HUD elements on the fly easily turning them all off while taking a screenshot and then turn it back on. I usually keep it all off myself but sometimes its really necessary while on a mission or for catching stranger encounters more easily.
Posted By: Lieste

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/12/18 12:08 AM

I'd love to see the third Red Dead game released on PC, with the second made as content in the new engine (as the console version of Red Dead Redemption was apparently too unstable to port, according to the devs, and was nearly canned before a last minute dramatic recovery)

I'm still annoyed by the naming decision here.

Red Dead Revolver was the first Red Dead game.
Red Dead Redemption was the second.
Red Dead Redemption 2 is the prequel to Red Dead Redemption, and a sequel is potentially possible to Red Dead Redemption.

At this point the numbers and titles get silly.

A better naming scheme would be the use of Red Dead Redemption Zero (as with Yakuza Koyami Zero) or by using another word:
Red Dead Retribution?

Oh well, too late to fix it now, but a PR and marketing fubar IMO

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/12/18 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Coot
Oh hey sorry letterboy1. I accidentally mistook you for another member who had just started playing the first one. My apologies. I thought you were them putting down the first unfinished to play the second. So you're a player and fan of the first too. I'm really enjoying the second game too. I can't remember the last time I did this with a game but I've played it everyday for two weeks. Starting tomorrow I'm going to take a break as I'm burning myself out but by and large I'm loving it and the story. Some of the side missions are a little suspect to me but alas that's what you get with worldly Rockstar.

Love the fog, lighting, mist and smoke effects in the game. When everything works in concert it really is impressive. In case it will help with screenshots you can hold down the D-pad down button and alter HUD elements on the fly easily turning them all off while taking a screenshot and then turn it back on. I usually keep it all off myself but sometimes its really necessary while on a mission or for catching stranger encounters more easily.

Thanks for the HUD tip! I'll definitely make use of that. smile Speaking of side missions, I was on my way to check out the "Trapper" when some lady got stuck under her collapsed horse. I helped her out and then gave her a ride to her town (while she nagged that we were not going fast enough). When I finished, the trapper disappeared from the map. Oh well. smile

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/12/18 08:43 AM

I keep seeing tooltips about "trapper" but I don't know who or what this is or where it is. I'm assuming its weapons/hunting fellow as it talks of special weapons upgrades. If they introduced this early on I must have missed it. Where do you find a trapper?

Something else that may be useful to some. I could not figure out for the life of me how to make a hat I pick up mine. The "crafted and stolen" subheadings always show nothing even though I've picked up other people's hats. I looked into it today and if the article I read is correct, not every hat can be made yours and save. Apparently if and only if you see a hat that is not yours on the ground and it glows, its then that you can put it on and make it yours. They said something about making sure you have removed all your hats from the saddlebags(except for Arthur's man hat which is always there)then equip the new one as long as it was glowing and then apparently the game saves it to your clothing section. At least I think that's how they said it works but I have not tried it myself. I don't think I've ever seen an NPC hat glow though so who knows. The inventory system is a little bizarre and sometimes quite obnoxious at times. Unless I'm missing something it will randomly equip weapons that I had not originally equipped. Or if you fail and reload a checkpoint sometimes clothing and outfitted weapons will be different than what you were using which is really annoying me right now. I think my clothing issue was because I had bought new clothing but forgot to save it as an outfit so when the game checkpoint reloaded I had had an extra article of clothing on for some reason.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/12/18 04:39 PM

I didn't get to meet the Trapper because on my way to his spot on the map (I think it looked like an animal paw), I got sidetracked by Little Miiss-Stuck-Under-A-Horse. After that, his map marker disappeared.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/12/18 06:36 PM

I remember helping a lady under her fallen horse right outside of the legendary bear hunting mission. I did not want to leave the animal parts and fur behind but she needed a ride. It just so happened at that time another NPC came riding by. I was wondering if maybe I could ask him to help her and unfortunately when I "called out to him" which was I think my only option at the time, Arthur said something like "That's a nice looking horse you got there" and then I accidentally unholstered my gun. The NPC on horseback jumped off the horse and ran away while the lady I was trying to help got offended at my unintended, snowballing mistakes of aggressiveness. She said never mind, I'll get home myself and limped off down the trail in the middle of the night. I felt so bad. I'm still trying to get used to the controls after about 34% play through and I have more than once caused and incident because of accidentally pulling or even shooting a weapon by mistake.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/12/18 06:39 PM

I remember helping a lady under her fallen horse right outside of the legendary bear hunting mission. I wonder if that's where the mention of trapper came up first? I don't think I've ever seen an icon for the trapper and I certainly didn't know it was someone that could appear and then disappear. Maybe he became unavailable because of a mission you were on or something you did. Sometimes I'll notice that some icons will grey out at some points and then become available again. Stranger related missions also seem to disappear and reappear at times. I'll have to look into it as I've seen "trapper" mentioned several times in tool tips but I don't recall ever being told how to access the trapper.

I did not want to leave the animal parts and fur behind but she needed a ride. It just so happened at that time another NPC came riding by. I was wondering if maybe I could ask him to help her and unfortunately when I "called out to him" which was I think my only option at the time, Arthur said something like "That's a nice looking horse you got there" and then I accidentally unholstered my gun. The NPC on horseback jumped off the horse and ran away while the lady I was trying to help got offended at my unintended, snowballing mistakes of aggressiveness. She said never mind, I'll get home myself and limped off down the trail in the middle of the night. I felt so bad. I'm still trying to get used to the controls after about 34% play through and I have more than once caused and incident because of accidentally pulling or even shooting a weapon by mistake.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/12/18 10:18 PM

LOL Coot! biggrin It's funny how your situation turned out different but at the same time, that lady was a bit fussy for both of us, eh? smile
Posted By: Master

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/12/18 10:24 PM

This thread needs more screenshots!

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/13/18 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Coot
I remember helping a lady under her fallen horse right outside of the legendary bear hunting mission. I wonder if that's where the mention of trapper came up first? I don't think I've ever seen an icon for the trapper and I certainly didn't know it was someone that could appear and then disappear. Maybe he became unavailable because of a mission you were on or something you did. Sometimes I'll notice that some icons will grey out at some points and then become available again. Stranger related missions also seem to disappear and reappear at times. I'll have to look into it as I've seen "trapper" mentioned several times in tool tips but I don't recall ever being told how to access the trapper.

I did not want to leave the animal parts and fur behind but she needed a ride. It just so happened at that time another NPC came riding by. I was wondering if maybe I could ask him to help her and unfortunately when I "called out to him" which was I think my only option at the time, Arthur said something like "That's a nice looking horse you got there" and then I accidentally unholstered my gun. The NPC on horseback jumped off the horse and ran away while the lady I was trying to help got offended at my unintended, snowballing mistakes of aggressiveness. She said never mind, I'll get home myself and limped off down the trail in the middle of the night. I felt so bad. I'm still trying to get used to the controls after about 34% play through and I have more than once caused and incident because of accidentally pulling or even shooting a weapon by mistake.

R2 to set her free.

R2 to reunite her with her dead husband etc.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/13/18 03:06 AM

If letterboy doesn't mind, I post some pictures Master. I've probably taken 200 of them.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/13/18 05:28 AM

Here's several of my pictures. I'm specifically being careful not to post anything that could possibly be considered a spoiler.

Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181029221619.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181030151105.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181030171216.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181030223551.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181031180706.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181031183730.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181031232747.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181104010917.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181110153522.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181110160141.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181110172249.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181110235253.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181031230917.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181111231924.jpg

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/13/18 05:30 AM

Few more.

Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181112000031.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181112001243.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181112022541.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181111002206.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181111164112.jpg

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/15/18 03:49 PM

Those are some nice ones, Coot! And here is the Trapper. He's like a shop out in the woods.

Attached picture Trapper.png

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/15/18 08:06 PM

I'll have to see if I can find him. I kept getting messages like "you've unlocked a new weapon upgrade at the trapper" but I have no clue of where this person is at. I took two days off from playing after two weeks straight but I have a feeling I'll be back at it again. These kinds of games are an experience. I try to do all the side stuff and adventuring to fill out the experience. I have to be careful with the non-mission side stuff though as that can get me to a burn out. Its important to keep a good flow of doing story missions. I like how this game doesn't rush information or activities. At only 34% into the main campaign they are still continuously revealing new game play elements and things you can do.

Do you have a favorite weapon yet letterboy1? Apparently the game has something like 50+ weapons or weapon configurations. If that's so(and there's a bunch of empty entries right now in my weapon compendium)I've only scratched the surface. However right now my favorite side arm has to be the Cattleman revolver(Army .45). I like the limited speed and manual nature of it plus its just a nice looking gun. In the first game the Volcanic pistol was my go to favorite because I liked the sound it made the best as it had more punch. I don't like it so much in this. The Schofield is pretty nice but I like having the dual Cattleman revolvers the best. I was hoping they'd have some sort of cap and ball pistol but I don't know. My favorite shotgun, although I really like the coach gun, is the pump action. I think I'm using the dark red rose varnish and a leather cover on the stock. I really enjoy the varmint gun as well. I love those octagonal barrels of which the rolling block has one too. There's only a handful of weapons in the catalogues that I've seen and some of them are still locked and there certainly is not 40+ weapons there. I imagine more become available as the game story progresses. I really want the repeater that's based of the Henry but its still locked for me.
Posted By: Bill_Grant

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/16/18 05:02 PM

One day I will get to sit down and play.... haha

Great looking screenshots, Coot!

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/16/18 08:49 PM

Coot, I'm only starting to realize what some of the options are. This game has a lot of gameplay options available which I have yet to even explore! I only just discovered that there is some way to upgrade the camp by using the ledger. smile

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/17/18 07:14 PM

I've upgraded the camp a little but thankfully it does not seem mandatory but it is useful to have extra ammo, medicines and food you can pick up before you head out. The ledger is kind of fun to see if any of those other rascalls have been contributing. I'll take a look at it and by my name(Arthur's name)you'll see donated 3 silver buckles, 2 gold wedding rings, platinum pocket watch and an extra 100 dollars. Then you'll see someone else donated 2 dollars and John Marston donated a pig skin worth 1.24. biggrin Time for ol' Arthur to keep a little more for himself I think lol. Plus I see Bill Williamson from time to time sneaking and borrowing from the camp funds.
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/18/18 12:52 PM

Looks like there are a couple of different trappers? The one i found was on top of a hill near the river, just after i killed a Legendary Bear.

I've just been free roaming in chapter 2 although i feel i am getting close to chapter 3 as i do a story line mission every now and again, up to getting ready for the train robbery where i have just stolen the oil coach. God, it took me forever to get used to the controller though. The first five or six play sessions i just wasn't enjoying it owing to being a full noob with it, kept punching my horse, shot it twice, opening the wrong items when in a panicky hold up or ambush. I ended up heading out away from any trails and practised my inventory, gunmanship and dead eye on birds and animals and just strolled around doing random stuff until it finally clicked. The views and sensitivity were throwing me as well, i've got it all ramped up now as it just felt god awful slow and laggish. The last two days the game has really come into it's own now that i can enjoy it and am not clicking madly in panic mode and getting frustrated.

Love the world, it feels alive, birds busting out of bushes, animals scattering everywhere, snakes and stuff in the undergrowth, rivers and streams and lakes alive with fish, the different ambient sounds. The map is magic as are the views and the skies, the sun busting through clouds and the different cloud formations are just wicked.. The only thing i would like to see changed is the speed of the day night cycle. I wish the day would at last at least twice as long instead of zapping by in 50 minutes. The time goes by to fast for me, small gripe for what i think overall is a fantastic Western game. The story seems cool so far, characters are pretty strong but the free roam and side missions is where it is at for me. I'm definitely plonking down a save in chapter three that i can go back to just for free roam fun when i finish the game.

I spent todays session learning my horses tricks and hunting down that Arabian up North West. Stabled my War horse and rounded up a wild Mustang just West of Valintine that i will level up once i have my Arabian at bonding 4. Looking at the map i still have half of it unseen so i'm looking forward to heading fully South and South West and up into the Snow for a proper explore. I've been to Rhodes and followed the lake all along the Eastern side so far and wandered into a bit of the map West where i managed a 300 dollar bounty because i accidentally kicked and killed a cat i was trying to pat. Ended up with twelves death on my conscience and every bounty hunter out for me over animal abuse biggrin Great game, i can see myself losing some serious time into it for a while. Why the heck has it taken so long for a good free roam western to come out, i imagine pc sales will go nuts when it comes out as well.

Managed to find my spirit animal in some foreboding clouds today, a majestic bird flew over myself and my horse, Dusty Bottoms

[Linked Image]

Burnt out town near the river, there is a gold bar in the sherrifs office if anyone is looking for a quick cash boost, Lympney i think the place is called.

[Linked Image]

First person is a bit meh, i struggle with it compared to standard pc games where i feel the view setups are just better. It feels a bit claustrophobic imo and i can't pan about smoothly or freely enough. In third person i give up looking around freely as i have stacked my horse way too many times so i feel a bit tunnel visioned as i have to move my horse where i want to see. I guess i'm too used to freelook in DayZ whilst running which was easy peasy. It seems i either have the camera on me and i go where i look or i have it off and i am having to constantly adjust movement and views seperately which isn't clicking with me...it all feels a bit counter intuitive. If anyone knows how to set up a really comfortable view system i am all ears as i feel that is my last hurdle in the game.

[Linked Image]

The views and viewing distance are second to none. Tthere is just so many cool random spots like this tree with bottles as if someone has been practising shooting, nothing feels copy pasted or out of place. So many cool little details everywhere and great for making a memory map of the world.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Besides the pump action shottie found at some random house with an old chick who thought i was dropping of stolen goods, i love the duel six shooters setup. I did the gunslingers missions to get the personalised shooters.

[Linked Image]

My favourite dog in Valentine, he gets a pat every time i go through.

[Linked Image]

Across this stretch of water..i'm a wanted man..

[Linked Image]

Scoped Varmint rifle i haven't even used yet

[Linked Image]

Another night at the saloon, when i walk through these doors i feel like Clint!

[Linked Image]

I still feel like i have a ton to learn and do. I haven't really hunted much yet, never fished, hardly sold or brought much, done some basic crafting and only a couple of bounties. Easily the best game i have played in the last couple of years, drips with atmosphere and hopefully this week i will be playing it on a 50 inch 4k screen as my lad wants a 34 inch curved 3k screen for himself so his 4k will be setup here in our pc room with the ps4 pro. Can't wait to see what it looks like in 4k! What a game hey lads:)
Posted By: archermav

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/18/18 01:29 PM

I've a question if I may. I went to the bar in Valentine re the gunslingers mission. I completed the first one, but no cannot work out how to access the remainder? Any help please. Also, don't forget that if you upgrade lodgings in camp then you can access Fast Travel.
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/18/18 05:33 PM

I just know I am going to buy this game at some stage!

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/18/18 06:52 PM

Great shots Ajay. LOL about your learning controls because that's how its been with me. I've got a good understanding now on controls but its still imperfect and after many, many hours(two weeks straight of playing) I'm still making mistakes. Just yesterday I tried the robbing mechanic for the first time at the Doctor's office in Valentine and I managed to fire off shots when I did not mean too. I feel the same way too about the day night cycle speed Ajay. I mentioned earlier too how I wish it was a bit slower. The map is huge with great volume. Even if you push yourself far enough over towards a side of the map to remove its obfuscation to clear the fog of war filter that does not mean you've seen it all. The fog lifts exponentially when you move into the map. I've got a large part of the map showing now but have only scratched the surface for the most part with regards to places I've actually been and seen. The view distance is great like you mentioned. I finally got up to a high place by myself yesterday (Mount Shaan I think its called) and the LOD detail is excellent. I could even see some wagons from that far away. Speaking to that though I love the weather and lighting. Sometimes visibility will be nothing and other times it will clear up.

I'm doing my best to just live in the world in and around Chapter 3 which I'm in. I look forward to seeing the original game's map world out West and I look forward to seeing how the deserts and weather are modeled out there in this game by I'm not in a hurry. In fact if people start posting pictures of that I'll probably disappear from the post for awhile as I don't want it spoiled for me. Speaking of places I like how every place and environment has its own personality. One beautiful effect I just love in Rhodes is how red and dusty everything is. I imagine Lemoyne is supposed to represent multiple Southern States but perhaps especially Georgia with its red clay. Anyhow the red dust actually gets blown around and through Rhodes quite often and you'll see a red dust layer start to cover your horse and your clothing.

Trying to be sensitive to anything thing that could be a spoiler(and for me that can even be the littlest of things so I hope we continue to be careful, maybe even hide certain images in a possible spoiler tag and description) I had one of the eeriest and creepy side missions I've had yet up in Mount Shaan on a debtor's mission for Strauss.

@archermav I'm not sure what you mean. I'll put this in spoiler tags since its an activity with story.
I just killed the first gunfighter on the train at Rhodes up on the roof. For me I have an icon on the map showing me where I can find the next one which I believe is "Black Bell". It has a white bubble icon with a black "BB" inside. Is that what you're asking about? I returned to Valentine after killing the first guy but the newspaper reporter is not there. I think we must have to take them all down before we can talk with him again. As far as I know the other last known locations for the gunfighters should be superimposed on your map. Maybe its that you need to look at your deck of cards the reporter gave you. If memory serves the first couple of locations did not appear on my map until I actually physically looked at the gunslinger cards in my inventory. When you do Arthur actually pulls them out so you can look at their image and the flip the card and read a little info about them. I think it works sort of like a mystery you are investigating.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/18/18 07:10 PM

It may be of help to others if you happen to be struggling with accidental gun firing.

When your sidearm is holstered, if you tap or hold the right trigger button, Arthur will draw, cock and fire the weapon in one quick motion all the time. There's no "safety" mechanism or step here.

When your sidearm is holstered, if you hold down the left trigger which is the button used to lock onto characters for talking, you'll see the camera zoom in a little and the option to "aim weapon" in the lower right hand side appear. If you tap or hold the right trigger fire button, Arthur will then draw, cock and aim the weapon as before but he will NOT fire. You can continue to aim and move your cursor around. To fire you will have to pull the "trigger" again.(RT)

If you have done the above there is something else you can do. If you have done the above, prior to any firing or even after, if you let go of the left trigger aim button, Arthur will lower his aim and move the sidearm to the "fire from the hip" position. If you do just nothing, after a moment the gun will move to his side but will still be unholstered. This process for me has acted as sort of a "safety" when it comes to sidearm use in the game and a way to peacefully back out of firing the weapon. Also simply letting go of the aim button adds that safety feature as I call because if you then let go of the fire button AFTER you have let go of the aim button, Arthur will not fire his weapon.

I'm not sure if I explained that well or even completely correctly as I'm away from the game and working off memory of a system that is very nuanced and not self explanatory. More or less what I listed is what's going on I'm just not sure I captured it all accurately or in an explanatory way. If anything I hope it helps others know there are things going on and options available when handling a gun in the game that provides a way to safely back down through a layered process from firing a gun.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/18/18 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by archermav
I've a question if I may. I went to the bar in Valentine re the gunslingers mission. I completed the first one, but no cannot work out how to access the remainder? Any help please. Also, don't forget that if you upgrade lodgings in camp then you can access Fast Travel.

View those photos that Levin gave you. Look at the photos, flip them as you view them and then read them. As you do, more gunslinger locations will appear on the map.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/19/18 01:32 AM

To add what Letterboy said, if you press the left arrow key (left Dpad?) you can cycle through your missions and select which one you want to do.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/19/18 08:23 AM

Since this is a combination screenshot and hint's-tips thread, I was wondering about the harvesting of animal parts situation. After I skin an animal, I get the message that my satchel is full and that I should discard some items to make room for the animal parts. When I look in the satchel it looks like there are open slots. Is the message referring to a particular part of the satchel? I'm a bit confused and I don't want to throw stuff away for no good reason.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/19/18 08:24 AM

By the way, getting blasted drunk in the game is not something I want to repeat. biggrin

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/19/18 06:46 PM

I have the same confusion letterboy about the "satchel is full thing". I'm not sure what it means. I know that in some instances there seems to be a cap as to how many of one particular item you can have in a slot because it will say 1 of 10 or 2 of 3 when it comes to things like plants and other items.

I also get irritated trying to swap weapons on the shoulder and saddle gun positions. Sometimes I can get the current long arms that I currently want to use properly displaying and hanging from my saddle positions but many times I end up having the bow permanently visible and no matter how I equip, unequip, stow in either position the bow, it refuses to disappear.
Posted By: archermav

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/19/18 06:49 PM

Letterboy, Coot and Ajay thanks for the response. It's really quite simple once someone explains the obvious to me. I've spent days playing and just couldn't work it out. Now, thanks to help I'm sorted.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/20/18 11:36 AM

Regards satchel being full, i just drink or eat whatever i have plenty of until i can fit the item. If it just animal bits like meat or fat i don't worry about satchel being full. The only time i will really worry about if it is a legendary animal which will include a claw, or tooth or something you can use to craft a trinket or talusman with at the fences joint. They give you small boosts to deadeye, health etc. The slot sections are named at the top Letterboy so i'm guessing maybe that section is full? Like Coot said as well, you can only carry si many of a particular item.

Coot, i'm away from the game so running on memory, if you go to your inventory while on the horse you have the left and bottom saddle/gun selection for rifles and the bow. If you select whatever rifle and then holster it while on the horse you should be fine. Or just select the actual saddle icon to have none in hand or on your back. Once you exit the horse whatever rifle you want you select from the horse and it will be on your back. You can take 1 or 2, but I only travel on foot with one rifle depending on what i am doing.

I also don't like carting so much in my inventory so i fence all my goodies when i can, craft if i need to or just feed me and the horse. There seems to be well enough in the world that yoy are never going to be hard up and i hate having so much gear on me. Can you stash stuff at camp? I haven't even sussed that yet, all the cards and photos, maps etc annoy me:)

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/20/18 06:20 PM

I'm pretty sure I've tried everything I know to do to select or stow a weapon but still get to where a particular weapon gets stuck visually on my horse, usually the bow. It doesn't matter even if I unequip it or even select the saddle icon in the wheel which I believe is another way of selecting no weapon. I just know there has been times when the two particular longarms that I currently wish to use also simultaneously show up hanging side by side on my saddle at the same time.

There are some things I'd like to look into online but I'm too afraid at this point of seeing a spoiler. I think I almost accidentally did simply from the thumbnail used on a youtube suggestion video to the side while looking at something unrelated. I just can not deal with that as that happened to me in the first game. I don't want the littlest of things to be spoiled at all. If I post something here, even if it seems benign but could be a spoiler even when it comes to new locations I will do my best to label what it is and put it in a spoiler text.

I'm almost tempted in getting the gameguide for this game as its big enough, nuanced enough and RPG-like enough that it would be worth having and would maybe be a help. Sometimes those "what we wish we knew before we started playing" videos for a game can be helpful that give incite on some of the hidden or subtle gameplay mechanics but again I'm too afraid of accidentally seeing a spoiler.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/20/18 08:35 PM

I've been lucky in missing spoilers so far Coot, but i know what you mean! One tip i've seen many mention is to put down a save in chapter 3 so when finished you can go back and use that as a free roam point to play from without starting from scratch. Most seem to say that is the best point to just have fun without worrying about the story. I've got one in chapter 2 as well just in case.

I watched a bunch of no spoiler gameplay, all free roam, before purchase and picked up some basics that helped. Things that helped were

1. Pay bounties before they get too big.
2. Bond with your horse asap.
3. Do side quests as they pop up, the question mark ones,as some become unavailable once you miss them.
4. Don't loot dead bodies if you can be seen by anyone as it affects honour.
5. Keep an eye on those tips that pop up.
6. Always carry a horse reviver.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/21/18 03:14 AM

Even uneventful scenes look cool.

Attached picture Station.png
Attached picture Lake.png

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/21/18 06:18 AM

So nice hey Letterboy, i love Valentines perfect Western atmosphere.

Possible spoiler pics ahead if you haven't ventured into Saint Denis yet or been to any of the theatre shows in Saint Denis, which, is a must.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Upgraded my revolvers to the pearl handles and picked up the red puffy tie in Saint Denis, i'm slowly (very) trying to work towards a Doc Holliday (Val Kilmer version) look. Before that i want to get a full grown beard which takes 10 or 11 in game days, i think, then she all comes off and i have grow a moustache only. I'll need to dump my over shoulder bandolier as well which will hurt my ammo supply.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/21/18 07:26 AM

Earlier on I got arrested by some bounty hunters and taken to St. Denis. I had it more or less planned in my head how I wanted to see it for the first time. At the same time I did not want to go in on my own as I had a feeling the game would have a way of introducing it. So when a cutscene happened that shows a gang member getting me out of jail. I just exited the game because I was not ready to see it. When the game loaded it does that spawn you nearby thing and thankfully it put me towards the outer area of the city almost. So I just walked out and did not pay attention roleplaying that Arthur was loopy from the rifle butt that I did take from the bounty hunters and pretended he walked out of town half out of his head. The one gunfighter fellow was on the train from Rhodes and it travels to St. Denis but so much is going on I just did not pay attention. I made sure to jump off the train before it got too far into town. The only thing I saw was the stables and that side street by the water.

So tonight was my first official time going into St. Denis and it was indeed via a game mission. Its really quite impressive looking. Its a bit hard on the fps but it just depends on the location. There are some really gorgeous spots in it. Not only that, St. Denis at night with all of the electricity and I'm assuming gas lamps look really cool at night. Very atmospheric. I just got into Chapter 4 today. Pretty exciting. By the way I had a test of patience and endurance while in St. Denis today. While trying to assemble and purchase a new outfit at the tailor shop which took some time, maybe fifteen plus minutes, I had to tolerate this woman yelling incessantly outside yelling about how she had the right to vote. I about lost my mind. banghead

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/21/18 05:17 PM

Coot, what console are you playing on? And which resolution?

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/22/18 09:35 PM

Hey letterboy. I play the game on my original 2014 PS4 on a Samsung HD TV that is I think 46". I'm not really savvy on understanding displays but I'm assuming its 1080p? My screenshots come out as 1920X1080.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/23/18 08:10 AM

Thanks, Coot. I was curious because you mentioned a frame rate hit in St. Denis. I finally paid a visit to that town but no noticeable FPS hit. By the way, mine is showing at 720. I was considering getting a 4K TV but I'm enjoying it enough at 720 that I'm hesitant to part with the money.

Attached picture St_Anis.png

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/23/18 08:55 AM

More St. Denis.

Attached picture Show.png
Attached picture St_Denis2.png
Attached picture St_Denis3.png
Attached picture St_Denis4.png
Attached picture St_Denis5.png

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/23/18 12:42 PM

Yes St. Denis is a cool liitle joint, alrhough a bit modern for my liking, too many #%&*$# trams lol. I'm using my lads 4k Samsung tv and no noticable frame hits, ps4pro, the game has been smooth as silk everywhere. Letterboy, it is a marked improvement from the 1080 tv i was using, but not as massive as i thought it would be. Definitely a lot crisper looking though and the colours are a lot nicer.

I'm in Chapter three atm and have moved into a lot of legendary fish and animal hunting. It's good fun, the fishing is surprisingly well done. It took me a good five minute fight against a massive salmon up in the snowy mountains to finally land it. That was after an even longer battle where he run me out of line and got away. It ended uo being a two day trip as i camped there the previous night to get an early start and then camped again after finally landing it.You'll need to stock up on all of the assorted lures though to catch the big ones, the lure shop opened up after an earlier mission.

If you guys haven't chased down any legendary animals yet then you cannot just wander into a legendary animal area and starting hunting around like i did for an in game day. As soon as you enter the area and get the pop up that you have you need to start tracking to get the find the first clue. From then on you have to akways be tracking or you will lose the trail. I use the cover scent so my scent doesn't scare off everything around me as well. The hunts can be pretty cool.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/23/18 09:36 PM

Thanks Ajay, useful info - especially when I have to weigh out the pros and cons of getting a 4K TV. I'm still on the fence.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/24/18 03:08 AM

I think it looks excellent on my 1080 scale tv. Its a beautiful game. I have many questions but right now I have one about side activities. I imagine there's lots of opportunities that can be missed depending on what's going on. For example I went back to a swamp shack where I had previously helped someone and they were gone however there was blood trailing from their house. In the distance I saw a prisoner shackled to a dead prisoner. I helped him and he gave me a location of some stashed money.(Which I could not find) None of this scenario was marked by any white stranger activity icons. Also, even though he showed up in my tasks menu his instructions on where to find the loot were not notated. So there is definately stuff here you have to do by sight, sound and memory as it apparently doesn't get listed anywhere. That's where the game guide would come in handy.

Anyhow, When I recently stared chapter 4, an icon appeared for Uncle that had to do with a cattle rustling job. It was a new activity and hadn't been around for long but when I came back from doing one or two other activities(story related I think) the activity disappeared. Will that opportunity come back? I hope so because there's so much going on the game is not giving me proper time to digest it all. As it is I'm starting to get burned out. I'm getting to compulsive about ancillary activities however I'm afraid to miss out on story backed content because that's what I enjoy the most and many of the small tasks actually have story and character backdrops and lore to them.

I'm also finding some of the supposed money making tasks tedious and not worth while. Maybe I'm going about it wrong. I recently unlocked a horse fence that I can sell to. Last night I attempted horse thieving with little success. When I finally got a hold of a horse after previously murdering upwards of four or five men the man only gave me 2 dollars. I know horses back when weren't as expensive necessarily as a saddle but causing all that extra evil in the world served no purpose other than to make me feel creepy and only gave me 2 dollars. The havoc I wreaked to get those 2 dollars earned me a $100 bounty though so as I see it right now I don't understand the purpose behind the horse fence.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/24/18 06:18 AM

I just use the fence to offload gold and jewellery. The only other thing he is really useful for is the trinkets you can craft there as they give you small buffs, stealing coaches is just some good old old otlaw fun:D Regards the story side, i will do one stoy mission to about 3 hours of free roam, sometimes more. There is a lot going on at any one time that's for sure. The story content, yellow map marks, will stay there for as long as it takes you to do it, i think, none of it has disappeared for me yet anyway. I just get to it when i have had my fill of free roam adventure time.

Most of the time i will try and do the little white pop up side adventures like sucking snake venom out of some dude or rescueing a damsel in distress as they give you honor, cash or items.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/24/18 08:56 AM

There's character related white pop up blips though that are small but end up having some story with side characters. The Uncle mission that disappeared were his initials in a white blip. I have not seen it come back yet. Kind of frustrating because it feels like they didn't give me time to access it because I was in the middle of something else. I was looking at how much the game guide was online and even one the back cover it describes how there are things that can be missed and the guide is exhausted in explaining how not to miss stuff. I wish the game was a bit more forthcoming on how it works which I still don't quite get yet.

Am I correct in thinking that if you see a gang member icon in white you should do that as soon as possible? I know the yellow blips are story related and they should not disappear. However I have seen and instance where there was an option between two missions available to you to choose from. Even Dutch said you can do this or do that. When I chose one the other disappeared. But its looking like if a gang member mission using their initials in a white blip shows up it needs to be done as soon as you see it or you might miss it. I hope it comes back because I want that background and story with Uncle and I want to see cattle herding which I've not seen yet except during a chase that I could barely see what was going on. Its a huge game and I'm not even out West yet so I assume there will be plenty more opportunities however I really don't want to miss anything that has story and character study.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/24/18 10:02 AM

Right now the only yellow blip on my map is in Blackwater where I'm supposed to rescue some dude from bounty hunters. Blackwater is almost guaranteed death. nope So I'm "lolligagging" trying to work up the courage.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/24/18 10:31 AM

Just make a save right before you go to do the mission Letterboy, then you can reload at a point of your choosing and you don't lose that sweet sweet cash on restarting or start in an unprepared spot.

Coot, the white dot missions do disappear once you go past them and the yellow ones where you have to make a choice, one cancels out the other. I'm at that stage now in chap 3 and letting my choice hang for a bit while i continue my free roam. I've missed some of those white dot ones along the way as well but they normally end up being not much so i don't fret on them although i do try and grab them if i am not too bent on getting where i'm going. I'm finally at the stage where i am really comfortable with the controller so the game is so much better than my first week, getting comfortable with all tge buttons, menus, sude menus etc was a bit of a hurdle i can tell ya:)

Edit- couple of cool things. When on food or legendary expeditions i have found rounding up and taming a horse is (or just stealing one with a saddle) helps out in cartage, you can bring back twice as much! A couple of small game either side of both horses, a stack of pelts and two full animals draped over their rears.

You can shoot tons of stuff i never thought you could either, like oil lanterns for instance. I just came across a cabin full of bad dudes, killed them then shot the lantern inside the house and burned half the loungeroom down! Candles don't wirk when shot, they just obliterate. Cool addition though.

You can also dump and rearrange bodies in weird ways, hang them out of windows, over cliff edges etc, the things you can do and interact with blow me out.

Horse saddles can be raided as well, but i found out you have to give the horse a good old pat first or you'll get a kick in the teeth.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/24/18 07:18 PM

I'm disappointed I may have missed out. Oh well. Now I know apparently if a white popup mission appears it needs to be done I'm assuming prior to doing any yellow popup. Maybe someday I can get the strategy guide and have that during a second playthrough to soak up any missed stuff from the first experience.

That's a cool tip Ajay on the horses. I know I've gotten onto another horse and whistle to or tell follow to my other horse. I think I may have done that once when I had some animal I did not want to offload for a passenger so I used another horse for the transportation and just had my horse follow.

Speaking of carrying stuff, has anyone figured out exactly how the inventory on saddles work? I'm still thoroughly baffled as to how it works. I constantly get "you can't carry all of this animal's parts, clear out your space in you satchel messages" and I can't figure out what to do. I know it seems you can carry up to 10 items of a kind in one slot but for example in my ingredients category, It will show that I have 3 or so empty slot boxes. I'm not understanding it at all and I'm at the point where I want to start collecting items needed so that the trapper can craft me some useful gear.

Also, does anyone know if more clothing is forthcoming? I'm in chapter 4 and during my first visit to the St. Denis tailor which I assumed would have items above and beyond what was seen in the game so far ended up only having two extra hats and some fancy outfits. I'm guessing I'm just being paranoid especially knowing that I'm in chapter 4 and not even half the map is open yet and almost 60% of the game is left not counting all the areas I actually haven't set foot on yet in the part of the map I have uncovered.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/24/18 08:34 PM

I've got some more pictures. I do want to put together a video clip but that will take some time and effort so hopefully I can do that later. I've got some really cool clips.

1. I love how there is a mix of cloud shadows and light in a scene. Here in the distance you can see the sun shining on Blackwater.

2. One of my favorite warm weather clothing.

3. Arthur and very first horse.

4. Mud and blood.

5. Swampy prairie.

6. Swampy sunset.

7. My man Marston!

8. Covered bridge.

9. Foggy St. Denis Street.

10. Electrified city.

Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181118021804.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181119152508.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181119155937.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181119173637.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181119174750.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181119225103.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181121163507.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181121182003.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181123011031.jpg
Attached picture Red Dead Redemption 2_20181123013537.jpg

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/25/18 12:10 AM

The only parts you won't be filling in your satchel will be the meat and animal fat because it's already maxed so you don't need to worry about it. The empty slots will be for items you haven't found yet or crafted items. With the meats you know you can craft thyme, mint etc when cooking to make meat that affects stamina, health, deadeye? Once i have a load of meat i make as many types as i can so i can always load Arthurs stats before i go into a gun battle or a hunt for a bear or cougar. With clothes, i'm guessing there is another tailor in the wanted dead or alive county that may have more items, i'm hoping anyway because i still have'nt completed my outfit.

Nice pics, such a great looking atmospheric game. Like you said earlier, the different areas are just beautiful and so well done.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/25/18 12:29 AM

Coot, in that shot of the sun shining on Blackwater, were you on a mountain when you took it? That one is epic!
By the way, I finally rescued that dude from Blackwater. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was gonna be - luckily you go in with some other guys. smile I'm still in chapter 2, though, so I have a lot to look forward to. The open world aspect makes for tons of game-play, even if it gets a little tedious at times, it's still worth it.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/25/18 08:04 AM

Thanks for the info Ajay. You know I just discovered something today that I did not know you could do. I know in the past I would have a pelt laying over the back of my horse in the stow position and that if its only a pelt, you can still lay a person(bounty) on the back of your horse too. However I did not know these two things. Today I had a full elk carcass rolled up and stashed. After getting a few unplanned wolves, I assumed that I may either have to pick the elk or the wolf pelt or in the case that it did let me have both because one is a small flat pelt(kind of like laying a person on a pelt) that I would have to unload the carcass, drop it, pick up the wolf pelt, stow it and then pick up the elk carcass and stow it again. I did not have to. I saw a new animation where you see Arthur tucking the pelt underneath the present carcass. I thought well that is handy. Then I discovered something really cool. I picked up the other pelt and it allowed me to stash another pelt. After that then another and then another. So it actually let me stack about three pelts underneath the elk carcass. I did not know you could do that! I'd been carrying around at most two items.

I'm still confused though as to how you are supposed to transport or stow this stuff with regards to this scenario: The Trapper can make unique items that require perfect harvested animal pelts. Unless I'm not seeing something, you would have to immediately take the needed item to wherever the heck the trapper is to get the item made. You can't store large pelts its seems. And what if the item you want crafted requires two large carcasses or pelts? You can only carry one big item at a time so how the heck to even get stuff to the Trapper to get those things made?

Hey letterboy, yep I was on a high point looking towards the southern direction. If you look closely at the bottom of that picture I believe that is Strawberry down below. Those vistas are really impressive and I've seen a few times now where the sun will be shining just on one area like Blackwater and it is amazing looking.

I'm also still struggling with the game seemingly unloading special ammo I had just loaded prior to an encounter and also auto equipping me with a weapon I did not select nor did I want. Maybe its a courtesy they do in case you don't know you're about to enter a situation that you don't know if it will blow up however I don't like that. The whole logic and point of them having equipment and options is for the player to prepare sort of like the Witcher games. If you booger up then that's the penalty you should get which helps you to learn to be more careful and tactical. Right now to be honest I can't tell if some of this stuff is by design or quirky bugs because of the very unique and nuanced nature of the game's game play mechanics.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/25/18 08:22 AM

Take two horses Coot, that way you can double your production:D When you give the trapper an item like a perfect or legendary pelt then it adds to what he can craft for you. If for example you give him a perfect cougar pelt then go to saddles youcan buy the cougar sadfle that is then available at the stable for you to pick up. Or, if you don't want tge saddle, look at the clothing he has and it adds to that, cougar gloves etc. Some of his stuff is only available after you have done certain things that you can view in the side mission/challenges pop up on the left. Like the herbalist challenge and others. I picked up some new gun holsters from one of the challenges i had done without realising i had even done it lol.

I think the ammo thing is a bug, plenty of times it has happened to me as well.

Edit- just found another cool little option. Had a big shootout with a gang at a farm whilst in free roam, after killing them all i went to search the house for goodies, no go, locked doors. I shot one of the windows with a pistol until there was no glass but the frame still remained. Out come the pump shottie, blew the frame away and climbed inside. Very cool.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/25/18 07:46 PM

Wow I did not know you could do that Ajay. There's been plenty of times where I attempted to kick the door in(hold down melee button while near door) and nothing happens. At first I thought perhaps you need that lockpick kit but that doesn't do anything for doors that I can see. So I just figured that these buildings are not enter-able. I wonder how many houses or cabins that you can do that on?

About the trapper. If I go to the effort to bring him lets say this elk carcass that I have, if I sell it to him, does that then put it into some sort of inventory memory for him so that I can then have an item crafted or does it just sell it to him for money? Right now there's not much I'm interested save for new holsters and a good pair of chaps.

As a side, though I love the combat I'm still pretty hit and miss with it though it is a lot of fun. Like the first game the weapons are impactful and the physics/animations are great. The feeling of unloading 2 slugs in close succession sending and enemy right off his feet is pretty cool. Sometimes fights happen just right and you feel like a seasoned gunfighter. Last night I went after another one of those gunslinger missions. The fellow got me into a duel. Once I got a better handle on the duel mechanic I shot the weapon out of his hand. He stumbled towards me and continued to attack empty handed. He came out me so I melee him with my pistol and he bends low, then I pistol whip him again to the ground. It really is quite eerie and brutal. One of the most fun things I have found is when you enter a building, barge in, go into dead eye, watch the expressions of the guys getting startled and then reacting, then unleash a hail of gunfire taking down 3 or so bad guys at a time, then the game goes back to real time and you see the physics respond in normal time as multiple foes go tumbling all around.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/25/18 08:34 PM

Here's a weird thing about the effect the game has on me. I went to collect money from somebody and chose to beat him into intimidation. I then felt bad. I thought I'd maybe lose a little in-game honor and get the cash - Nope! I collected guilt. biggrin

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/26/18 08:26 AM

Yep Coot, it saves in the trappers inventory. If you give him a pelt then have a scroll through the items and you will see that pelt has applied to several but still needs something else to go with it to finish crafting. The other ones i mentioned above come from the challenges and can be bought outright. I grabbed some new holsters and upgraded gun belt from completing challenges in free roam. Also instead of using Dead Eye, you can use Eagle Eye, the one you use when tracking. I use that initially sometimes to scope around and then go into dead eye once i know what order i want to kill the guys in. I still hardly use dead eye although i should more, it's a cool mechanic.

Letterboy, the worst the game has made me feel so far was losing my level 4 bonded horse. Once of the gunmanship challenges was to shoot five birds from a moving train so i jumped on the roof of a carriage at Rhodes and started popping away as it moved to St Denis. Just as it was rolling in a message popped up and said my horse had died. I found the saddle halfway back to Rhodes on the tracks so poor old Astro must have followed and rear ended the train or something. I was like man, 'cmon, not Astro! Journeyed back the mountains and tamed another Arabian, Atlas. I feel more for the horses than the people in the game biggrin

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/26/18 07:51 PM

Thanks Ajay for that clarity. I removed my last post because I think I go carried away with stuff that's too story related and I don't want any spoilers and I sure don't want to accidentally do that myself. As it is I can't visit your other thread right now Ajay because you must be past where I am and for me, new location settings that I haven't been to are a spoiler. However I do look forward to seeing the West in this new game and I'm curious to see how it is especially since I know that map area almost like the back of my hand from the first game. It will probably feel new yet very familiar.

Thankfully I have only lost one horse and I killed it by accident. After that Blackwater rescue I was trying to loot that area and got completely swamped and overwhelmed by bounty hunters and they destoryed me. In an attempt to defend myself I remembered that I had two sticks of dynamite for some reason in my inventory. I had not ever used it yet and was unfamiliar on how to deploy it. Right as I was throwing it towards the enemy the thought hit me that "My horse is over there"!

I've had some really nasty spills with a horse but thankfully they are pretty tough. Usually a little medicine or food tops off the little I injured them. I really love all the animations including riding down a steep and rocky grade and watch the horse slip and slide. Once I even hit something and my horse was able to stay on its feet but I got thrown out of the saddle. One time I robbed a coach. It happened on an incline in the road and I did not know this or even realized, but when I unhitched the horses from the coach I had just robbed, the coach rolled backwards down the hill and knocked my horse over!

I also noticed another neat detail recently and I believe I have discovered the context. If you run your horse real hard for a little while and you are in a colder location, you will actually see your horse's body steaming. I thought that was a great detail when I saw it. I captured a little video of it.

I use dead eye a lot because the combat, mainly because of control sensitivity and response issues, is challenging. However I'm at the level now where I can manually target myself which is great. Another cool thing I noticed and I actually caught it on film somewhere and its a useful tactic, while in dead eye, if you lets say paint a target on one enemy and then move your crosshairs over to another enemy but don't target him, when you hit the trigger to fire it will shoot the guy you targeted but then Arthur will swing the gun back over to the last location you had it. So for example I targeted one bad guy in dead eye, swung over to another bad guy and just rest my crosshairs on him, fire my gun which takes you out of dead eye, shoots the guy you targeted then immediately pan's your pistol back over the last person you rested your aim on where upon which I can then shoot him in real time manually. Its kind of tricky but its helpful. I also saw a video yesterday that cleared up something bizarre I thought I was noticing. If you fire off some shots from your weapon and then go into dead eye, the game automatically fully reloads your weapon. I personally don't like this but I guess I can understand why they did this. That being said I wish they could disable that to make it more realistic and all the more on the player's shoulders to be tactical about combat.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/29/18 03:21 AM

I explored the map fully besides the wanted dead or alive area that is impossible to survive in for longer than a couple of minutes. Most of the things people are showing me in game i have already done , which can be amusing.I feel like i'm coming very close to the end of chapter 3 though.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/29/18 06:19 AM

I'm well into chapter 4 and we're still in Leymoyne. I haven't even been to Annesburg and that other town yet. By the way, today I kicked a bullfrog and threw him in my satchel.

I only just realized today too that not every animal is in top shape while alive. I was wondering why even with apparently the right weapon I was getting game with only a "good" status. I noticed that there is a 3 star pattern next to the animal description. Today I looked at two wild hogs in my field glasses and while alive, one had a two star rating and the other three.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/29/18 11:30 AM

Yep, three star pelts are the go. If you look in your compendium it will tell you what weapons to use for what animals. Generally you can use the snipers on bears, big elk and Bison, carbine, rifles on mid range stuff like wolves, average elk, deer etc, varmint rifle for smaller stuff but you have to get a head shot to get the perfect pelt. Rabbits and the like (god i hate trying to get three star rabbits) i use crafted small game arrows. Same on smaller birds. You have to craft them as they are not available to buy. Get them lined up with the arrow, use the call option so they pop their head up and look at you, then hit dead eye to get that perfect head shot. Legendary animals can take anything, they always offer a perfect pelt. That found out as i killed the bear with multiple mad shots when it charged and still got the three star. Same with the legendary wolf, panic set in when i missed a head shot and hit his side... and before i knew it he had six shots in him and dropped at my feet biggrin

Oh, if you collect a large pelt like a bison, bear etc in perfect condition that needs to be stowed and roped, and then you stack your horse and the pelt drops..it isn't three star anymore. Found that out the hard way.

I just hit chapter four earlier today..things are starting to heat up!

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 11/30/18 07:32 PM

I think I've read somewhere too that if you get into deep water with your horse that can degrade pelts too. I'm not certain though and I hope rain doesn't effect them because then it will be impossible to get a perfect pelt to the trapper.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 12/02/18 07:24 AM

Just a heads up if any of you guys are going online and are still in story mode. You will get to see parts of the map that are locked out and also be able to participate in story missions you may not have reached yet.

It's actually pretty cool as well. A lot more dangerous owing to players but i have had more good encounters than bad. It's been decent taking down gangs in a group or chasing down other players in a running gun fight on horseback across the plains. Tons of pve to be had as well, hunting, selling, buying, upgrading etc. Good fun with a friend , we've already had a drunken fight, horse race from point to point, lasso wars and just good old murdering, looting and carriage thievery.
Posted By: FlyingMonkey

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 12/05/18 12:48 AM

That looks awesome. I would crack and just buy it now if my PS4 wasn't that crammed with games already with no storage space (and from what I remember it's over 100GB for RDDR2) - I'll wait for the PC version instead, but it will be a hard wait, that's for sure
Posted By: Force10

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 12/06/18 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey
That looks awesome. I would crack and just buy it now if my PS4 wasn't that crammed with games already with no storage space (and from what I remember it's over 100GB for RDDR2) - I'll wait for the PC version instead, but it will be a hard wait, that's for sure

There most likely won't be a pc version. They didn't make one for the first RDR either.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 12/06/18 06:50 PM

There are apparently hooks for one. GTAV also came with one around a year after release.

I have no interest in spending hundreds on each different console just to play exclusives (when I have a better PC already), so I don't buy the hardware, nor titles which I would otherwise play on PC but which are unavailable.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 12/08/18 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Force10

There most likely won't be a pc version. They didn't make one for the first RDR either.

#%&*$#.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 12/08/18 03:20 PM

Why not hook up an external USB 3.0 hard drive to increase your storage space?

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 12/09/18 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Master
Originally Posted by Force10

the first rdr almost didnt get released for console. the development was a cluster####.

Hmmm the forum software muted my whole post because of the CF word?

It is worth looking into the development of the first RDR. Nothing that happened in the first RDR should be used as an example of what might happen for the second game. It was truely a massive CF of epic proportions and the fact th at the game code worked and that they were able to put out DLC for it is nothing less of a miracle.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 12/11/18 03:10 AM

I wonder how it was different compared to L.A. NOIR because that game came out less than a year later using the same engine and it made it to pc.(runs beautifully at 60fps and looks great too) Its a different game though altogether with different things going on under the hood so maybe its a different animal altogether.

Your last post Master about the forum censoring a post of yours reminded me of something funny I ran into quite some time ago. Way, way back when I bought my very first horse with real game currency(first horse is given to you and Warhorse is "free" with special edition), I ran into a silly problem when I went to go name the horse. I wanted to name my new female horse "Gypsy". When I tried to name the horse that a warning message came up saying something to the effect that "profanity or something inappropriate was found with that name". What!!?? The only thing I can think of is that this had something to do with the upcoming online stuff(this was even before the online update)and that it was some sort of system in place to attempt to prevent players from using offensive names. I still don't know what that was all about. I was never able to name my horse Gypsy and I still can't figure out for the life of me how anything profane or offensive could be misconstrued from that name.

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 - 12/11/18 04:03 AM

Did you try Gypsi or some other spelling? I've had a few games like this and you can normally find a dodgy workaround.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums