homepage

All dressed up with hardly anyplace to go.

Posted By: Forward Observer

All dressed up with hardly anyplace to go. - 10/28/06 04:20 AM

Some shots from Akella's new pirate game Age of Pirates--Tales of the Caribbean

The game is unstable and buggy at present, but the ships at sea look good.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers
Posted By: Chappy.

Re: All dressed up with hardly anyplace to go. - 10/28/06 01:30 PM

Definately not my kind of game, but it does look great.
Posted By: Stratos

Re: All dressed up with hardly anyplace to go. - 10/28/06 01:54 PM

Will be cool to fight as Dutch and enter the Thames!!
Posted By: Bars

Re: All dressed up with hardly anyplace to go. - 10/28/06 02:08 PM

Cool shots, i have it and i have a blast sailing around, especially through storms smile

Re: All dressed up with hardly anyplace to go. - 10/28/06 02:21 PM

Akella is the company that is developing "PT Boats-Knights of the Sea", but I would not hold my breath expecting a great naval sim.

Graphically their nautical games look good, but otherwise they have been mostly unfinished, unstable bug fests, and this latest one is no exception.

The one bright hope is that usually their games are easily modded and fans have been able to fix most of the problems and turn the game into what it should have been in the first place.

From what I have read, this one is going to be harder because they used that draconian Starforce protection which retains a lot of the EXE files on the disk.

It was only $30 and I managed to get about 10 evenings of fun game play out of it, so I am not totally disappointed.

I will probably set it aside now and re-visit it in a month or two after the Akella has given up patching it and the mod fans have corrected all their errors.

Cheers

Re: All dressed up with hardly anyplace to go. - 10/28/06 02:26 PM

Originally posted by Bars:
Age of Sail? You sure its not "Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales"?
You are correct--While I was typing it, I was thinking about Akella's worst naval game--AOS II,
which always gets my blood prssure up.

Edited now. biggrin
Posted By: SkateZilla

Re: All dressed up with hardly anyplace to go. - 10/28/06 03:48 PM

Im Having a thought here.. Barbosa....
Posted By: Nimits

Re: All dressed up with hardly anyplace to go. - 11/03/06 08:29 PM

Slightly off the topic of the thread, but what is the difference between Age of Pirates: Carribean Tales and Age of Pirates: Captain Blood?

Re: All dressed up with hardly anyplace to go. - 11/04/06 01:40 AM

Caribbean Tales is designed in the same vein as Sid Meier's "Pirates". It combines the multiple genres of RPG, RTS, FPS, action adventure, and age of sail naval combat set in sort of a Caribbean version of Grand Theft Auto.

It is kind of the same idea as the some of the space games like Freelancer or the X2,X3 space games. There is a story line, but you are not supposed be forced to follow it.

From Akella's descriptions, Captain Blood is more of a strict story based pirate themed game. It may be sort of a 3rd person shooter, but i am guessing here.

The shots I saw looked pretty stupid with bare chested characters hacking at each other with goofy fantasy swords. Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Cheers
© 2024 SimHQ Forums