Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#966224 - 12/29/05 02:48 PM CFS3 Install Issues  
No105_ Savage Offline
No105_ Savage  Offline

Houston, Texas, USA
I have had CFS3 installed on my system (on and off) since it was released. My most recent intallation also included Firepower! and the Battle of Britain add-on, as well as the Mosquito Combat addon.

Upon the release of Over Flanders Fields, I attempted ot install it as well, after creating the proper folder structure as required in the readme.

I got an error message about 80% of the way through the installation of O.F.F. So, I decided to completely uninstall CFS3 again, and re-install it, and try OFF again as well.

I reinstalled CFS3, but, for the first time (after several installs since its inception), I am having install issues. After installing, and running CFS3 Config, when I start the game, the movie will play, but afterwards, the game hangs at the splash screen. It requires a hard reboot to get out of it.

I have deleted everything related to the game, and have run Registry Mechanic, and tried the install twice now, but I keep getting stuck at the splash screen. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be glad to try them. I'm not only wanting to install OFF, but I have a hankering to fly a Mosquito or a Typhoon again as well.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#966225 - 12/30/05 07:44 PM Re: CFS3 Install Issues  
Ivor H Offline
Ivor H  Offline

UK
Before re-installing, did you delete the folder C:/Documents and settings/[your user name]/application Data/Microsoft/Combat Flight Simulator 3? As well as physically deleting your CFS3 install folderbefore re-installing? CFS3 seems to leave traces all over the shop, seem to recall these can cause probs.

Before doing anything else, you might want to delete the file in the frst mentioned folder, if it's there, uisel.xml. It gets recreated on launching the game. Seem also to recall doing this can clear some startup issues.

By the sound of it we have similar hankerings. I have FP and MC as well, but just got the D-Day add on, and early days yet, but it seems to me that D-Day transforms stock CFS3 into what it should have been at the outset. OK you still have the daft prestige points nonsense instead of a logbook etc, but you get a whole clatter of historical campaigns for REAL squadrons based around D-Day, plus a good set of re-skinend standalones, and a lot of missions. I'm only sorry I didn't get it when it came out. Had a similar prob to you when i installed it but there;s a D-Day patch which fixes that for the few users affected.

MC is good despite some odd skins; FP has excellent effects, planes and missions, but most of the heavies are FPS killers (just look close up at the hundreds of polygons used up in the B-17 engines, cowling stays and all, all of it wasted at most ranges!), and the FP planeset suits the strategic air war and heavy bomber action which CFS3 is rather weak at. Instead, the D-Day add-on builds very effectively on CFS3's true forté, the tactical air war.

When you soar into the air in a Sopwith scout
And you're scrapping with a Hun and your gun cuts out
Well, you stuff down your nose till your plugs fall out
'Cos you haven't got a hope in the morning!
#966226 - 12/31/05 11:09 PM Re: CFS3 Install Issues  
No105_ Savage Offline
No105_ Savage  Offline

Houston, Texas, USA
Ivor, I did delete everything, including the CFS3 folder in My Documents. It gets curioser: I found out that my install problems began with the failure of O.F.F. to install. I had named one of the O.F.F. folders as CFSWWI instead of CFSWW1, which porked that installation, and apparently, CFS3. I tried to re-install O.F.F. again, and succeeded, however, it hung at the splash screen, just like CFS3.

So, I ununstalled them both, and did a search on my HDD for any extraneous CFS3 files floating around, and deleted them. I upgraded my nVidia drivers, and installed CFS3 again (for the 4th time since the O.F.F. problems began), and wonder of wonders-CFS3 now runs!

Now I need to re-install all the add-on stuff like FirePower, Mosquito Combat, etc. BTW, what is the D-Day add-on? Do you have a link to it?

Thanks.

#966227 - 01/01/06 08:03 PM Re: CFS3 Install Issues  
Ivor H Offline
Ivor H  Offline

UK
Hi 105, glad you're flying again, been having some CFS3 blues myself after fiddling with drivers, seem to have got it sorted.

Anyway, here's a link to the D-Day addon:

http://www.gmxmedia.net/dday/

It's been around a while and I think it was less popular than say, Firepower, because it was less "flashy" ie only 1 new flyable plane, a Dora, and it has a poor pit and is avail as a download now anyway. It has a nice radar-equipped Beaufighter, a version (TF.X IIRC) which isn't avail for D/L I think. Also it's nice to hear the Aussie accents (and slang!) on the RT when flying my invasion-striped RAAF Tempest!

But while FP adds lots of planes, and some other good stuff, they don't fit CFS3 very well as the latter is tac air war oriented and a poor heavy bomber sim. D-Day, on the other hand, fits very well with CFS3, having the Nationality Expansion Kit, and a good range of extremely nice, invasion-striped historical skins for the historical US and Commonwealth squadrons. The German planes seem to be just FM-modified stock planes with no new skins, but added to CFS3, like I said it seems to me that D-Day gives the sim the immersive, historical environment that it should have had from the start, instead of this alternative universe thing it has by default. Seems to run fine with FP and the JF Memphis Belle (which has a nice, non-FPS intensive B-17F) also installed. Haven't re-installed MC yet, may not now as D-day gives me a whole set of Normandy fighter-bomber campaigns including (I think) a Mossie one. Early days yet but highly recommended from my experiences so far, should probably be an essential first purchase for anyone who wants to experience CFS3 at its best in its chosen theatre and tactical environment.

When you soar into the air in a Sopwith scout
And you're scrapping with a Hun and your gun cuts out
Well, you stuff down your nose till your plugs fall out
'Cos you haven't got a hope in the morning!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.