Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#919358 - 12/15/02 02:31 AM OMFG ...IT WORKS!!! wiring pedals into my x45  
bailout Offline
bailout  Offline

Devon
I recently got a set of tm elite rudder pedals through ebay and decided to try out an idea I had when thinking about pedals and the x45. My idea was to wire the pedals into the x45 throttle unit in place of the rocker switch.

Today I bought the cabling I needed and after about 5-6 hours of work and frustration came the moment of truth. I reconnected my throttle, opened the control panel and anxiously moved my pedals and Eureka they work I needed to recalibrate them but after that I get full rudder movement. The x45 doesn't know anything has changed and thinks that my pedals are the rocker switch. Hence my computer now sees the x45 + pedals as one unit.

This now means that I can use the pedals in older games like f4 and even in new games like il2 there are no problems trying to get windows to allocate id1/2 etc as you want it to. Also the output from the pedals is cleaned through the x45 circuitry and software.

I hadn't soldered anything for over 15 years, since school, so turning them on for the first time was pretty nerve-wracking.

They need some work tomorow to tidy them up and I will add a socket so that I can disconnect them for moving etc but now that I know my theory works and I haven't wrecked my x45 I am a happy-chappy

If anyone is interested I will post details of what I did. However, please note that it involves soldering onto a circuit board inside the joystick and cutting a couple of wires. So attempting this will void your joystick's warranty and hence should only be done if you are willing to take the risk of possibly ruining your stick.

On the up side if you are at all competant with a soldering iron and have more nimble fingers than I do then I am sure that you could do it much quicker than I did.

Now I just have to find a suitable replacement for the ridiculously strong springs that tm put in the elites so my chair doesn't move backwards when I press the pedals.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#919359 - 12/15/02 03:59 AM Re: OMFG ...IT WORKS!!! wiring pedals into my x45  
jimcarrel Offline
jimcarrel  Offline

OKC, OK
Bailout, are the TM Elite's USB or Analoge?
I tried this years ago with home built analog and the X36USB, it didn't work because I didn't cut into the rocker circuit at the board, didn't even consider the "board". Glad you got it going. Feel's like a "sweet cheat" doesn't it?
JimC.

Win7 64 bit
I7 3770 3.4 Ghz
16 GB Ram
Geforce 650 TI Boost 2GB
#919360 - 12/15/02 07:05 AM Re: OMFG ...IT WORKS!!! wiring pedals into my x45  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wouldn't the main difference between USB and analog be that with analog pedals you'd tap into the circuit upstream of the circuit board, and with USB it would be downstream of the circuit board?

#919361 - 12/15/02 04:21 PM Re: OMFG ...IT WORKS!!! wiring pedals into my x45  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I theorize that the USB chip is in the X36/45 is in the joystick only. The axis signals sent from the throttle I believe are still analog. So if you were so inclined you could just rewire the 15 pin DIN that connects to the joystick (and even incorporate a switch to toggle between rocker and pedals).

My reasons for assuming the throttle signals are analog to the joystick are:
First - I have a noise issue on the rotaries that is related to the connector at the joystick. If the throttle digitized the axis signals I wouldn't be able to cause the spiking I notice by wiggling the connector, nor would there we a requirement for 15 conductors.
Second - if I were Saitek I would want to purchase only 1 USB chip for the controller set, not 2.

------------------
Mitch, FreeBirds Wing Commander
http://freebirdswing.org
Author: XD-Profile

#919362 - 12/16/02 02:34 AM Re: OMFG ...IT WORKS!!! wiring pedals into my x45  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wanna see how ya did it you better bet thanx for the info and hard work

#919363 - 12/17/02 04:20 AM Re: OMFG ...IT WORKS!!! wiring pedals into my x45  
jimcarrel Offline
jimcarrel  Offline

OKC, OK
While on the subject of pin outs. heres a few links, to gain some info from.

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/joystick/index.html

http://mypage.direct.ca/b/bsimpson/mrty.html

JimC.

Win7 64 bit
I7 3770 3.4 Ghz
16 GB Ram
Geforce 650 TI Boost 2GB
#919364 - 12/17/02 09:01 AM Re: OMFG ...IT WORKS!!! wiring pedals into my x45  
bailout Offline
bailout  Offline

Devon
jim
the elites are simple analogue pedals that you needed to plug an analogue js into and then plug the whole lot into the gameport.

re analogue vs usb. My method relies on the circuit in the x45 being the same after the mod as before. The pedals pot has simply replaced the rocker pot. USB pedals would have additional circuitry in them. Hence if using usb pedals you would have to wire directly to the pot so that this additional circuitry was not added to the x45 circuit.

#919365 - 12/17/02 09:02 AM Re: OMFG ...IT WORKS!!! wiring pedals into my x45  
bailout Offline
bailout  Offline

Devon
For BOP_Boris and anyone else who is interested here are instructions. Because I can't take pictures of it the instructions are quite long and thorough and probably make it sound more complex than it really is.

First a repeat of the obligatory warning. These instructions are for information only and carry no guarantee. If you are rash enough to follow them you do so entirely at your own risk. If in the process you wreck your joystick and/or pedals it is your fault not mine. Needless to say following these instructions will void any warranty you may still have with Saitek and whoever made your pedals.

I am not very knowledge about electronics so this may not be the only or best way of doing this. It is just the method that seemed simplest to me and offered the greatest chance of success and it does indeed work. If you know better please feel free to experiment and comment.

It is unfortunate that I don't have a digital camera as pictures would be much clearer than just discription. Hence if you are not already familiar with the internals of your joystick you will have to take it apart to make sense of what I am saying. Obviously if you are not willing to do this then it is pointless you reading any further anyway.

You will need at least one length of cable with at least three wires in it. I used cable that had eight wires of 1mm diameter. Two lengths of cable and a socket will enable you to disconnect the pedals from the throttle.

The inside of the throttle is full of wires and connections so be gentle and take your time. If you are an electronics wizz then you may be able to do this quickly, otherwise choose a time when you have a few hours spare. Also you have to take apart every bit of the throttle which involves removing a lot of screws. Put them somewhere safe in groups as you remove them as this will make it easier when you reassemble it.

Throughout the instructions when I say handle I mean the bit you hold with the buttons and rotaries on it, the base is the square box that sits on your desk and the lever is the bit that joins the handle to the base.

Firstly, how to dissasemble the throttle. Start by undoing the four allen-key headed screws in each corner, then turn it upside down and remove the four recessesed screws. The bottom half of the base should now lift off. Inside you will see the axle of the lever, a lot of wires and a circuit board. Note that a lot of the wires go through a hole in the axle. These lead up the lever into the handle. You need to poke a wire through here later.

Next look at the outside of the lever where you will see lots of screws in a plastic panel. The two at the bottom simply hold the panel on. The five in a circle at the top hold the handle on to the lever. Remove all of the screws starting with the two at the bottom. The handle should now fall away from the lever although it will still be attached via a bundle of wires. Poke your finger through the hole on the inside of the lever where the wires from the handle go and push off the plastic panel. You should see the wires from the handle running down inside the lever and going through the axle and out the hole you noted earlier into the base.

Now turn the handle over and you will see six screws that hold the two halves of the handle together. Undo all of these fully and remove. The two halves of the handle should now come apart. On my x45 this took a bit of wiggling and force. Proceed bearing in mind my warning at the beginning. Saitek employees are keen on their glue guns and you may find that the two halves of the handle do not come apart very far. Be careful that you don't pull any wires trying manipulte the two halves.

Assuming that your handle is in two parts, look into the bottom half. You should see a circuit board with the end of the rocker switch poking through it and connecting to a slider pot. Rock the rocker to see how it works. You need to see and access the connections to the slider pot underneath the circuit board. Therefore undo all the screws holding it down and gently lift it up. Mine only moved about 2cm or less than an inch. You should see a set of solder joints in the following pattern.

lever *.....*.....* rotaries
end_ *...*..*...* end

The two pairs of solder blobs at each end just hold the slider pot onto the board, ignore these. The three in the middle are the connections to the pot. The connection closest to the rotaries is the 5v connection. You have to solder a wire onto to this connection. The one at the lever end is the 0v line and the one in the middle is the connection to the sliding part of the pot.

The 0v and slider connections are soldered to tracks that lead along the board to the lever end where they join two wires that lead to the base. You need to identify these two wires in the base as these are the two that need to be cut and recconnected to your pedals pot.

To follow these down, note what colour they are and also note which is which. IIRC the slider connection is the wire that comes off the very corner of the board and the 0v one is the wire next to it. Follow the tracks from the blobs of solder under the slider pot to check if possible.

Then look for wires of the same colour coming out of the axle in the base, there will be several of each colour. I then pulled gently on the each wire at the handle end while holding each correspondingly coloured wire in the base. When you have the right one you should feel and see it moving in the base as you pull on the other end. Through a process of trial and error you should be able to identify each wire.

As you will be cutting these wires later it is obviously essential that you are 100% certain that you have identified the right ones so check and recheck until you are sure. Once you have done so, mark them in some way, I did this by looping a twisty freezer bag wire clip around them.

As an additional check follow the wires to where they contect to the circuit board in the base. If you can see past the glue covering the board the 0v wire connection should be labelled P11 and the slider connection P4.

Now we can move on to the scary soldering and wire cutting stage.

Estimate how much of the cable sheaf you need to strip by holding the end at the rocker pot and running the cable along the route of the wires down the lever and into the base. You obviously don't have to poke it through the holes just do it roughly and then add on 3-4 inches to give yourself some slack.

Once you have stripped the cable decide which wires you are going to use for the 5v 0v and slider connections and cut off any extra wires.

Then take the wire you are going to attach to the 5v conncection and feed it up into the handle from the base. That is, poke it through the hole in the axle so that it cames out the bottom of the lever, then poke it through the hole in the top of the lever into the handle and underneath the rocker switch circuit board. Now you can estimate the length more accurately cut off the excess leaving enough slack to manipulate it when soldering and to accomodate movement.

You now need to strip the end of this wire and solder it to the 5v connection. This is the blob of solder closest to the rotaries (see diagram above).

I cannot reccomend strongly enough that you practise this with the soldering iron off before you do it for real especcially if you are not very experienced at soldering like me. I did it on a low table pressing the handle against my knees. My left hand had to hold the handle steady, pull the circuit board away from the handle, and hold the wire in place while my right hand had to manouver the soldering iron past several other wires and connections without burning them. This is the part of the mod which is most difficult and offers the greatest oppotunity for damaging your joystick so remember the six Ps and practice first.

Assuming that you have successfully done this then it is all downhill from here.

Next go back to the two wires in the base. Cut these midway between where they come out of the axle and where they connect to the circuit board in the base. This will make it easy to reconnect them if you want to reverse the mod. The ends that lead to the circuit board in the base should now be soldered to the other two wires in your cable. Obviously trim the cable wires to length first. The ends of the cut wires that lead up into the handle shoud remain unconnected. Cover the two joins with tabs of insulation tape.

You have now made all the alterations needed in the throttle circuit. To recap, what you should now see is one wire from your cable going up the lever and connected to the 5v connection on the rocker switch circuit board and two other wires from the cable connected to the ends of the cut wires that lead to the circuit board in the base. The ends of the cut wires coming from the rocker slider are not connected to anything and hence the rocker pot has been disconnected from the joystick circuit.

Now all you need to do is connect the other end of your cable to the pot in your pedals.

At first I thought that I could wire a fifteen pin connctor to the end of the cable and plug in the Elite pedals with the cable that was on them. However, when I opened them up up there is only the 5v and slider connections wired. I assume that the 0v connection is made in the joystick passthrough cable. Therefore I removed the original cable altogether.

To test the mod you don't need to solder the cable to the rudder pot. Just stip 1.5cm/.5inch of the wire ends and twist through the holes in the rudder pot connections. Make sure that the slider wire is connected to the middle connector of the pot and just connect the 0v and 5v wires to the pins each side; if they are the wrong way round the rudder input will be reversed, just swap them before you solder into place.

Now comes the moment of truth. Plug your joystick in and open up control panel. When you push the pedals your should see the rudder indicator move. You may need to recalibrate to get full movement and if the action is reversed just swap the 0v and 5v connections over at the rudder pot.

Assuming it works as it should you now just need to tidy it up and reassemble your throttle.

I cut a small hole in the edge of the top half of the throttle base about an inch away from the Saitek cable for the cable to fit into. To prevent the cable being pulled out I used a cable tie pulled very tight around the cable on the inside of the box. I wired a seperate cable into the pedals and the two cables are joined by a 15 pin socket so that I can disconnect the pedals from my throttle. Obviously you don't need to use a 15 pin socket, anything with 3 pins or more will do.

To reassemble your throttle just reverse what you did to take it apart.

If anyone is desperate enough to try this I hope these instructions help. If you do go ahead please post how it goes.

good luck

bailout

[This message has been edited by bailout (edited 12-17-2002).]

#919366 - 12/17/02 11:52 PM Re: OMFG ...IT WORKS!!! wiring pedals into my x45  
Fixitman Offline
Fixitman  Offline

I might try installing a gold plated stereo headphone jack on the back of my throttle. The rudder cable would have a gold plated stereo headphone plug on it. I believe there are jacks available that cut the sound when you plug in the headphones. One of those would make either rudder usable.

Once my X45 is out of warranty (about 4 weeks), and I buy or build some pedals, I'll give this a shot. At the very least, it will give me something to do while I'm saving for a Cougar

------------------
Fixitman
--------------------
FreeBirds VFW
--------------------
My OLD F4 SP3 Profiles
--------------------

[This message has been edited by Fixitman (edited 12-17-2002).]

Fixitman
--------------------
FreeBirds VFW
--------------------
My OLD F4 SP3 Profiles
--------------------
#919367 - 12/18/02 01:34 AM Re: OMFG ...IT WORKS!!! wiring pedals into my x45  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I didnt read all of Bailouts connection method but really all that needs to be done is to pick up the pot connections in the pedals and wire it straight into the wiring for the pot of the rocker, pot values would not matter. Fixitmans 1/4" phone jack would work but it would have to be stereo ie 3 wire. I havent looked into whats inside a set of pedals but any circuitry is easily bypassed.
Toe brakes would be out. As would banding the rocker switch to any commands.
Anyway great stuff Bailout.
Ratty

#919368 - 12/18/02 04:41 PM Re: OMFG ...IT WORKS!!! wiring pedals into my x45  
Jabberwock Offline
Jabberwock  Offline

Poznan, Poland
I don't get it... If the chip is in the joystick, then why not intercept the axis values at the plug from throttle to joy? (as I suggested long, long time ago...) No need to disassemble throttle, no need for messy soldering inside your precious set.

#919369 - 12/19/02 08:00 AM Re: OMFG ...IT WORKS!!! wiring pedals into my x45  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi...

I just bought the X45, because I didn´t become familiar with the HOTAS Cougar. The Cougar is not so good for WWII Simulations, even with the F22 springs, unfortunatelly for me. And before I bought the Cougar I used to fly with the Saitek 3D USB. So the X45 Stick is close to the 3D...

Now, I have also the Thrustmaster Elite Ruder Pedals and Win XP. So it wasn´t possible to use the Bob Church's External rudder drivers. So I found this topic:-)

And it is a very good "HOW TO DO" desription! So I started with the adventure. I´ve got a digicam, so I made some pictures. For you to check if it is ok and for the others who wants to do it, as well.

First I decomposed the throttle.

I marked the important areas for the remodeling of the X45. Than I removed the "screws 2". I removed also "screws 1",the POV Hat3 and the glue, that secured the wires. So I was able to turn the circuit board. So I had more space to handle it.

After I turned the curcuit board I looked for the solder joints. Here they are... I hope I marked those right...

Than I followed the tracks to the left.

I turned the curcuit board and I saw the following wires. P11 red wire = Slider; P4 green wire = 0V and the P1 brown wire = 5V.

Than I followed the wires to the curciut board in the bottom of the throttle.

It was´t easy to see the term of the wires through the glue, but I managed it.

So than I looked for the right wires and marked them.

Here my question bailout. Maybe you made a mistake in your description. You said "As an additional check follow the wires to where they contect to the circuit board in the base. If you can see past the glue covering the board the 0V wire connection should be labelled P11 and the slider connection P4."

It should be -- 0V wire connection should be labelled P4 and the slider connection P11. Is it right?

Than I opened the Pedals and I saw the potentiometer. Now the question is, what is what. Is the description ok?

So I hope this is a little help for you bailout, maybe for describe it better and for the ohters to see it. If you want more pictures, you can contct me.

webmaster@exters-pages.de

I´m not done yet. I will wait till your answer. Than I can take some additional pictures. And I hope it will work;-)

Check 6!

Exter

------------------

#919370 - 12/19/02 03:45 PM Re: OMFG ...IT WORKS!!! wiring pedals into my x45  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

The potentiometer has three contact posts. One post is for your positive Voltage contact, a second is for your signal return (ground), and the center post is the wiper. The wiper is what actually controls the amount of voltage that is output from the potentiometer. Sloppy circuit design usually involves omitting the ground connection since the potentiometer is usually placed in line with a wire or trace. The signal return/ground is only connected when you need EMF protection, a circuit path that provides a ground, or additional resistance.

From your pic the green wire is your positive connection and the black wire is the ground connection which is connected to the wiper of the potentiometer.

After reading this info I will be trying this out eventually on an X36 and CH gameport pedals. I need to get through commencements this Saturday before I try this however. BSE in Computer Engineering from the University of Michigan.

[This message has been edited by karaba23 (edited 12-19-2002).]

#919371 - 12/19/02 06:58 PM Re: OMFG ...IT WORKS!!! wiring pedals into my x45  
bailout Offline
bailout  Offline

Devon
Hi Exter

Just a quick reply as I have to go Christmas shopping.

Your pictures are great. They will make it much clearer to other people than my discription alone.

I do not have time to check now but I am sure you are right about the wire connections to the board in the base. When I did the mod I just followed the wires from the handle. I added the base connection reference afterwards in an attempt to make it clearer but it seems to have done the reverse. Sorry for any confusion caused. I will check later and amend my instructions.

Your pic of the pedals pot looks correct. The important wire is the slider which must go to the middle connector of the pot. The 5v and 0v go either side. If these are wrong then your rudder input will be reversed. Simply swap them round to fix this. I twisted the wires through the holes in the pot connectors to test before I soldered them.

btw I saved the original tm cable with a diagram showing what colour wire went to which connector so that I can easily restore the pedals to their original configuration if I ever want to.

Good luck with the rest of the mod. I am sure you will find the soldering onto the board much easier because you have managed to turn the board over completely.

I look forward to hearing of your success and keep the pictures coming. If you have any more questions please post and I will check again tonight.

bailout

edit
Your photo of the underside of the board in the handle is correctly labeled. That is, you have identified the connections correctly.

[This message has been edited by bailout (edited 12-19-2002).]

#919372 - 12/20/02 06:15 AM Re: OMFG ...IT WORKS!!! wiring pedals into my x45  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi...

So I'm almost ready. Almost because it is not working:-( After I cut the wires, the red and the green I solded it with a cable which goes outside the throttle. I bought a phone cable (line cord) with 4 wires. Should work properly. Then I solded the wires together. I did not sold the 5V wire to the curcuit card near the poti, I cut the brown wire, which goes through P1 to this point. Maybe that is the reason, but I don´t think so.

Than I prepared the Pedals. I removed the original cable and solded the new with 3 wires. Red for the slide, green for the 0V and black for the 5V.

Than I connected the throttle. It worked. Than I connected the ruder pedals.

In the calibration menue the red beam went to the right and stayed. So I wasn't able to calibrate the ruder. I also changed the connections of wires to the Ruder. And I chose all possibilities. Nothing helped...

I don't know what is wrong...

Maybe you know what I did wrong...

#919373 - 12/20/02 06:18 AM Re: OMFG ...IT WORKS!!! wiring pedals into my x45  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is maybe possible that you have other drivers?

But I´m wondering. It should work. It is just as I replaced the original poti with the one in the ruder. hmmmm

#919374 - 12/20/02 09:41 AM Re: OMFG ...IT WORKS!!! wiring pedals into my x45  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by III/JG26_Exter:
It is maybe possible that you have other drivers?

But I´m wondering. It should work. It is just as I replaced the original poti with the one in the ruder. hmmmm

#919375 - 12/20/02 12:50 PM Re: OMFG ...IT WORKS!!! wiring pedals into my x45  
bailout Offline
bailout  Offline

Devon
Hi Exter

Sorry to hear that you haven't managed to get it working..... yet As the mod is quite simple it shouldn't take long to find the fault.

Firstly it is a bit difficult to see all of the connections in your photo, so could you explain exactly how you have connected the 5v wire? I understand that you have cut the 5v wire in the base. Have you then joined BOTH ends of the cut wire to a wire from your cable, thus forming a 3-WAY joint? If so then I think this should work.

Secondly, check that the 0v and slider wires from your cable are joined with the relevent wires that lead back to the board in the BASE of the throttle and NOT the ends that lead up to the handle.

That covers the circuit in the throttle and leaves the pedals pot and cable. I assume that your pedals worked before and hence the pot is ok?

Finally we have the plugs and socket on your cable. I used a 2m length of cable from my throttle so I was able to check it worked before I added the socket by connecting direct to the pot but the cable from your throttle is too short to do this.

Did you put the plugs onto the cable yourself? Are you sure that the three used wires from the throttle contect to the three pedal wires inside the socket?

One easy way to find out where the fault lies would be to use another length of cable to join your throttle directly to the pedals. Get a 2m length of cable and strip 3 wires from both ends. Then simply twist the ends of the wires around the solder joints you have made in the base of the throttle and do the same with the wires from the other end of the cable to the pedals pot. You can do this without soldering these joints but pull one of the plugs out of your original cable socket first to break any connection there. Then test. If the pedals work the fault is definitely in the cable socket and if it doesn't work then there is a fault with the throttle connections (and possibly the socket of course).

Another thing to check is do all the other functions of your throttle work in control panel? ie throttle itself, rotaries and buttons/hats?

I hope these suggestions help. Let me know the results of these tests.

bailout

btw drivers will make no difference.

#919376 - 12/20/02 03:51 PM Re: OMFG ...IT WORKS!!! wiring pedals into my x45  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Far out This worked like a charm. Athough I did it slightly different. I tapped into the 5 volt wire as you must not cut it and clipped the 0v and slider wires. Just call me chicken when it comes to using an iron on a circuit board if I dont have to. I did have to reposition the pot and reseal it on the rudder pedals but that was a snap.
Thanx to all for your hard work. Merry Christmas to all as you have made mine so.

#919377 - 12/20/02 06:32 PM Re: OMFG ...IT WORKS!!! wiring pedals into my x45  
bailout Offline
bailout  Offline

Devon
Exter

I have sent you an email to your webmaster address.

bailout

copy of email

Hi Exter

I noticed looking at your photo again that there seems to be a cut or broken red wire coming from the Saitek cable. I have circled this in red on the attached photo, I haven't got a host site for pictures so I couldn't post this on SimHQ.

bailout

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.