Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#70466 - 03/31/05 08:10 PM Crew Management?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is the best way to manage the crew? I seem to be micro managing my crew... Is there a better way to do this?

Seems strange that the Capt. would have to run to the back of the U-boat to tell Gunther that he looks tired and should take a break, then sprint to the bow quarters and ask Fritz if he would mind replacing Werner in the engine room as he is asleep at the controls etc. etc.

Would be nice if there was a way to automate this or make the process less painful ie rotate half the crew at a time at specified intervals?

Then if you wanted max performance you would call for battlestations? They called for battlestations in Das Boot... what exactly does that mean anyway?

Thoughts comments?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#70467 - 03/31/05 09:03 PM Re: Crew Management?  
Teddy Bär Offline
Teddy Bär  Offline

The crew is a unfinished idea.

I love the concept, but I expect that the next patch will possibly disable this option, or at least have it tweaked to the max. I hope against all hope that they will actually finish it but......

I am sure that the intention was to have the crew on auto rotation etc.

Cheers,

Teddy Bär

One of the stupidest things in game design is the lack of uncertainty given to the player

"beatings will continue until morale improves" brought to you by Ubisoft DRM!
#70468 - 03/31/05 09:13 PM Re: Crew Management?  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Too bad, sorry to hear that. I think the crew management adds a very complex iron in the fire.
Without it, the game could end up just being a FPS.
What would be really great is, if they fixed it.
Let it run with 'compartment' capabilities fixed, and the 'cruise or Battle stations' options at the bottom right, like it was supposed to.
And keep the individual options.

Running like it was supposed to, would make for a 'really' great classic.

This game could be around for a long time.

"Murphy's Law"
#70469 - 03/31/05 09:17 PM Re: Crew Management?  
DickDastardly Offline
DickDastardly  Offline

nowhere much
Use Churches fatigue mod. This reduces your micromanagement to a minimum, as they now last a good number of hours (6+), instead of the 1 hour 20 mins to 2 hours you'll get from the standard game.

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=30783

Backup your Basic.cfg first tho

"PRETEXTS TO JUSTIFY US MILITARY INTERVENTION IN CUBA"

"3. A "Remember the Maine" incident could be arranged in several forms:

a. We could blow up a US ship in Guantanamo Bay and blame Cuba.

b. We could blow up a drone (unmanned) vessel anywhere in the Cuban waters.

... Casualty lists in US newspapers would cause a helpful wave of national indignation.

4. We could develop a Communist Cuban terror campaign in the Miami area, in other Florida cities and even in Washington." (p8)

"7. Hijacking attempts against civil air and surface craft should appear to continue as harassing measures condoned by the government of Cuba.

8. It is possible to create an incident which will demonstrate convincingly that a Cuban aircraft has attacked and shot down a chartered civil airliner enroute from the United States...

a. An aircraft at Eglin AFB would be painted and numbered as an exact duplicate for a civil registered aircraft... At a designated time the duplicate would be substituted for the actual civil aircraft and would be loaded with the selected passengers all boarded under carefully prepared aliases. The actual registered aircraft would be converted to a drone." (p10)

Operation Northwoods Document - 9 March 1962
#70470 - 03/31/05 10:20 PM Re: Crew Management?  
Paajtor Offline
Paajtor  Offline

The Netherlands

#70471 - 03/31/05 10:32 PM Re: Crew Management?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hope you’re right Teddy and Murphy! It would be really great if they fixed it/finished it. Thanks for the link to the fatigue mod Dick Dastardly, and also for the crew management tips Paajtor!

Slamo

#70472 - 04/01/05 12:05 AM Re: Crew Management?  
southernman Offline
southernman  Offline

mobile,al usa
Please fix it, I think it adds to the complexity and feel that you are actually running the ship. I used the buttons once and got a crash so I have been managing them manually but I would like them fixed and wouldk like for you to be able to "meet" with your XO and set them up as you would like under the situations and then just "order" him what crew configuration you want. Also getting to "know" them and assigning special traits (forget what they are called at the moment) and promotions become more important.

Deffinately a key part of the game to me.

#70473 - 04/01/05 01:15 AM Re: Crew Management?  
Zero Niner Offline
Zero Niner  Offline

Singapore
I agree with most ppl's sentiment that crew mgmt is a good idea poorly executed. Too much micro management, as CO of a boat I'd expect the XO (don't know if there's one on a U-Boat) to have set up a watch system that would apply under normal cruising conditions.
The only time when all hands are manning stations should be during General Quarters.
But there are interesting aspects - giving qualifications for eg, to tweak the capability of the crew.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.