Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#696374 - 12/20/06 11:06 AM Toughest Campaign  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
Using WFP I started a campaign in 19 Squadron in July 1916. The Squadron was equipped with the Be.12, a single seat fighter (ha!) version of the Be.2c.

What a pig of a plane! \:\)

It's slow, so you struggle to catch the enemy. And if you do they can outturn you, outclimb you and outdive you. So your pretty much dead meat. And that's against E.III's and two-seater's. \:\)

With the advent of the Fokker D.II and Halberstadt D.I in August life is just one long gamble. And come September when the Albatross D.I makes an appearance you know your just flying a coffin. The only way to avoid dying in a dogfight is to spin to the ground and try to run.

So far I've survived through to 14 October. In those four months I shot down one balloon and one Fokker E.III. In return I've been wounded three times and crash landed (from combat damage) 11 times. Life expectancy is grim - and I'm the only surviving original member of the Squadron.

I just hope I can make it to the end of November when the Squadron should start receiving the SPAD VII.

"Somewhere out there is page 6!"
"But Emillo you promised ....... it's postpone"
ASWWIAH Member
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#696375 - 12/20/06 07:52 PM Re: Toughest Campaign  
Lucky_1 Offline
Lucky_1  Offline

Mehlingen, Germany
Thats awesome! I think its much more fun when you're trying to survive like that. Its also more realistic only getting one or two kills.

It never fails though, I'll survive, get the upgraded planes, and then die because I get too cocky with the new airplane or something.

#696376 - 12/21/06 04:15 AM Re: Toughest Campaign  
Birdbrain Offline
Birdbrain  Offline

Tallahassee, Florida
Interesting, never flown a BE.12. If Lamberton, (Fighter Aircraft of the 1914-1918 War), is correct in asserting that these aircraft were issued to Nos. 19 and 21 squadrons in August and were, "after a few weeks...relegated to bombing duties", you've been stuck with this plane longer than you should have been.

Heh, reminds me of what it's like flying a Fokker E.III after August, when the Allies start to get N.11's, only worse!

I ran across a couple once flying an Ottoman Albatross D.II in the Mid-East patch. Lamberton states, "A few B.E.12's were used in the Near East and in Macedonia, where Captain G. W. Murliss-Green was unusually successful with the type, shooting down several German aeroplanes."

One early British plane I _have_ tried is the Vickers Gunbus. This aircraft is said to have been successful as a fighter through the summer of 1915, but was sadly unequal to the Fokker E.III.

The problem with the WFP Gunbus model is that as the pilot, you are sitting directly behind your gunner, whose head blocks your ability to sight "his" gun.

It has been a while, so maybe this has been fixed, but if you need it, PP, I have a modified bitmap that puts a hole in the Gunbus gunner's head so you can see the sights.

Another interesting early "flyable" is the Morane-Saulnier L "Parasol". I have run across these, flying Hun, and actually felt bad about shooting them down. It was so pitiful seeing them try to run that I let them go one time. They are in WFP 8/15-6/16.

S!

As ever,
Birdbrain
#696377 - 12/21/06 05:09 AM Re: Toughest Campaign  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
I've flown the Gunbus in a campaign - they are way overmodelled. Much too agile.

The MS Parasol I have also flown in a campaign. Not as bad as the Be12, in fact pretty much the equal of the E.III. Things only get rather hairy once the Germans are re-equipped with the Fokker D.II and Halberstadt D.I. \:\)

ASWWIAH Member
#696378 - 12/21/06 05:38 AM Re: Toughest Campaign  
Birdbrain Offline
Birdbrain  Offline

Tallahassee, Florida
I'd like to fly a more granular campaign with the Fokker D.II. Usually I get a few missions with it at most and it goes away.

As ever,
Birdbrain
#696379 - 12/21/06 08:44 PM Re: Toughest Campaign  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
Your right BB, any campaign with the Fokker D.II is rather shortlived. Which is a shame as it seems to handle the opposition quite well.

The longest one I've found to date is with Jasta 14 and it's precursor (whose name I forget). It was on the Marne front from around September to December 1916. \:\)

The same seems to apply with the Halberstadt. Which I like flying even more than the Fokker. I've yet to find a campaign with a Jasta equipped with it that pits me against late 1916 RFC/RNAS squadrons.

ASWWIAH Member
#696380 - 12/22/06 02:57 AM Re: Toughest Campaign  
*ÅÅ*Bad0gre Offline
*ÅÅ*Bad0gre  Offline

Sunshine Coast, Australia.
S! Pips

Interesting stuff mate! How do you rate the WFP against the others?

B.O.

*ÅÅ* Col. Bad0gre_ACO
Årctic Ångels

Visit us at...
http://www.arcticangels.org/
...all are welcome.
#696381 - 12/22/06 05:31 AM Re: Toughest Campaign  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
Hiya Bad! Long time no play. \:\)

For me WFP has it all over the other offerings. The most comprehensive selection of aircraft over the widest time period, it all just suits me to a T. Especially as I like to start a campaign at the earliest date possible and see how far I can progress. \:\)

Btw Jolly is into OFF these days. How about you?

PS. Doesn't this drought just suck?! It plays hell with my business, heaven only knows how bad it is for the poor folks on the land. \:\(

ASWWIAH Member
#696382 - 12/22/06 09:37 PM Re: Toughest Campaign  
*ÅÅ*Bad0gre Offline
*ÅÅ*Bad0gre  Offline

Yeah Pips, this drought ain't pretty. Through the year I managed to get out west a few times and the differences were striking. Driving out through Emerald I had never seen it so green. Reminded me more of England. Coupla months later we went to the Bunya mountains and it was like a tinderbox there. The low lying areas were dust bowls. There are stories of some properties not having rain in 14 years. But fortunately they got their first decent rain with the first storms of the season. A good drop but a lot more is needed. But those poor buggers down south are still doing it tough!

I have never used any patches for SP. Looking back I guess I always had too much fun in MMP to even bother with it. Also, I was paranoid about multiple installs causing problems with the setup. Lord knows I was having enough problems without that too! There are some excellent articles on installs by Skid and others, and the new rig has no background problems at all with RB, so the are no excuses now. I should give WFP a go. You make it sound interesting. ;\)

Jolly still dabbles in online RB. Think he has some free time and has been flying with our brothers in the USA. If I get some time this Christmas I may hop in around lunch time.

You have a good Christmas mate...keep yer chin up! ;\) In the meantime we'll see if we can stop that prat Beattie from building that bloody dam on prime farming country that isn't affected by drought!

B.O.

*ÅÅ* Col. Bad0gre_ACO
Årctic Ångels

Visit us at...
...all are welcome.
#696383 - 12/23/06 02:06 AM Re: Toughest Campaign  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
Quote:
Originally posted by *ÅÅ*Bad0gre:
In the meantime we'll see if we can stop that prat Beattie from building that bloody dam on prime farming country that isn't affected by drought!

B.O.
Man, isn't that the loonest thing you've ever heard of? Politicians are really scarey people - they just haven't got a clue!

Merry Christmas mate.

ASWWIAH Member
#696384 - 12/23/06 02:15 AM Re: Toughest Campaign  
*ÅÅ*Bad0gre Offline
*ÅÅ*Bad0gre  Offline

I loaded up WFP with PL terrain. Looks cool but the FPS take a hit. Down to 10 in a seven plane dogfight. What terrain are you using?

*ÅÅ* Col. Bad0gre_ACO
Årctic Ångels

Visit us at...
...all are welcome.
#696385 - 01/03/07 03:14 PM Re: Toughest Campaign  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by PipsPriller:
I've flown the Gunbus in a campaign - they are way overmodelled. Much too agile.
Try my latest FM for WFP: you can find it attached to related message of mine at Delphi Forums/Western Front Patch.

All aircrafts were revised for roll rates; that of Gunbus was still that of Pup, whose slot it occupies.

#696386 - 01/04/07 08:03 AM Re: Toughest Campaign  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
Thanks Greybeard, I will. \:\)

ASWWIAH Member
#696387 - 01/05/07 12:24 AM Re: Toughest Campaign  
Harvester Offline
Harvester  Offline

To Greybeard:

I saw that you recommended in the Delphi Forums to set the ai to 66% in WFP using the FLJ control panel. Should everyone use this setting and what does it do? I was thinking that the lower the dumber. :-)

#696388 - 01/08/07 12:59 PM Re: Toughest Campaign  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
I suggest 66% as the best setting for AI since all my flight models were developed with it, continuing what Panama Red did previously, always with "Overall Score Multiplier" set to 105-107% with Balanced Instruments, that's to say 111% with Authentic Instruments and 66% AI Level with FCJCP.

Personally, I've tested almost all from 20% (overall) to 250%, finding out that 111% (66% AI) is the PEAK of AI behaviour: yet at 125% (100% AI) AI becomes worse, same happens (of course) lowering it below 111%. Under 20% AI spends all playing time trying to crash aircrafts each other (lol).

#696389 - 01/08/07 08:53 PM Re: Toughest Campaign  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
I just fly with the standard WFP patch, don't use anything from FCJ. I only use the standard 'Realism' setting in the preferences section of RB3D.

So is there a 'best' setting for AI performance in the standard realism settings?

ASWWIAH Member
#696390 - 01/08/07 09:54 PM Re: Toughest Campaign  
Birdbrain Offline
Birdbrain  Offline

Tallahassee, Florida
Yes, PP, that's what GB is talking about with the "111% with Authentic Instruments". You set your Realism settings on full, everything on, (sun glare, torque, etc.) and then set the slider to 111%. Then turn off whatever you don't use. The slider will go down if you turn anything off, (I don't use sun glare), but as long as you set it at 111% first with full realism settings, it will be set right.

As ever,
Birdbrain
#696391 - 01/09/07 01:11 AM Re: Toughest Campaign  
Harvester Offline
Harvester  Offline

Thanks for the explanation and many many Thanks for the work you've put into RB. Much appreciated!

#696392 - 01/09/07 07:17 AM Re: Toughest Campaign  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
Thanks for that explanation Birdbrain. I'll give that a go and see if it makes a difference. Up to now I've just set everything to 'on', with instruments authentic. That puts the % rating to 125.

ASWWIAH Member
#696393 - 01/09/07 11:24 AM Re: Toughest Campaign  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
PipsPriller

OK, correct. Now move "Enemy AI Level" slider backward up to read "111" into Overall Score Multiplier" window. At that point you can change any setting you want, but DO NOT move mentioned AI slider.

This weird procedure is only due to lack of a numerical reference on AI slider: to set it at a precise value you may only refer to Overall Score Multiplier.

FCJCP is more functional since it allows to set numerically and directly AI level in percentage; OTOH it is a so powerful tool that can cause undesired or wrong setting if you mess up with settings.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.