Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#696099 - 05/17/06 08:20 PM I know everyone appears to be flying OFF, but I don't care...  
Colonel Kern Offline
Colonel Kern  Offline

I just got my win98/voodoo 3 machine running and RB looks great!

633Mhz
512M RAM
Voodoo 3 16M
30 GB Hard drive

Rescued the poor thing on it's way to a dumpster.

I just have not been able to get into OFF the way I can RB.

The Colonel

"They're not toys. They're collectables."
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#696100 - 05/18/06 02:45 AM Re: I know everyone appears to be flying OFF, but I don't care...  
Birdbrain Offline
Birdbrain  Offline

Tallahassee, Florida
Nice find, Colonel! I returned to RB again after some time with helicopter and jet sims. My old CRT went bad, and after some trepidation, I replaced it with a Samsung LCD, and it works real well. RB looks bright and crisp!

It is still a great game, from the first briefing board to the post-game video.

As ever,
Birdbrain
#696101 - 05/18/06 12:25 PM Re: I know everyone appears to be flying OFF, but I don't care...  
HD_Redde Offline
HD_Redde  Offline

Greetings, I tried OFF, Looks good, but I think it has a long way to go yet, maybe in time I will try it again. Till then it's RB3D with the Hell's Angels Patch by OVS.

#696102 - 05/28/06 05:46 AM Re: I know everyone appears to be flying OFF, but I don't care...  
Skiddmark Offline
Skiddmark  Offline

Glenville WV USA
For me, nothing will replace RB3D's campaign gameplay. It can't be done. I run HASP, WFP and ROTJ III.
OFF will be good second choice to see the plane models really well done. That is I can do some flying without pausing every three seconds to check a keyboard chart!

Computer = PHENOMX3
MOBO: ASUS M4A78 Plus
OS = Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Home Edition (5.1,build 2600)
Processor = AMD 8750 triple core 2.4GHz
RAM = 3328 MB
DX 9.0c
Nvidia GeForce GS 250, 512MB
Realtek HD audio
Disk Drives:
Floppy's: D: HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H21L, E: ASUS CD-S480/A5
HD's: C:ST3250310AS 250Gb
F: Maxtor 6L250S0 250Gb
H: SM_USB20 flash drive 4Gb
Monitor: Proscan 32" LCD TV in VGA mode.
#696103 - 05/29/06 03:13 AM Re: I know everyone appears to be flying OFF, but I don't care...  
Birdbrain Offline
Birdbrain  Offline

Tallahassee, Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Skiddmark:
I can do some flying without pausing every three seconds to check a keyboard chart!
I know what you mean. Learning a new set of key commands is absolutely my single greatest obstacle to learning a new sim. With RB3D I don't even have to think about it.

How is WFP working for you? In the more recent versions, I began to get CTD's in late '16 and early '17. Pat couldn't find anything wrong, but now I only play Hell's Angels. HA pretty much satisfies me since Otto put the Voisins and Caudrons in for the French.

As ever,
Birdbrain
#696104 - 05/29/06 05:34 AM Re: I know everyone appears to be flying OFF, but I don't care...  
bzhyoyo Offline
bzhyoyo  Offline

Simply assign the keys to the preferences you like so that you will not need to learn new key combinations. You're not stuck with the default settings - it just takes 10mns to change that.

#696105 - 05/31/06 03:38 AM Re: I know everyone appears to be flying OFF, but I don't care...  
Skiddmark Offline
Skiddmark  Offline

Glenville WV USA
Birdbrain: Admittedly, WFP has been sitting dormant for a while since I've been trying some various other games on my new machine which I was about 4 years behind on. There's always at least occasional DTD's with any RB3D UOP for me, usually due to memory issues(it doesn't matter how much you have available, RB can't make use of it,WFP a little more than most, but flyable, and better if you keep it to about 2 missions then quit.
bzhyoyo: True, except I would like one-key assignments for what you can only get with cycle-views in CFS3 (some, so far, I don't even know what they are for - cockpit,chase and player to target I've managed to figure out). My favorites in RB3D are F1,F2,F3,F8. Then I like to use F4 after F8 to see who the enemy is flying with, stuff like that you can't do in CFS3 BUT -- it's just a matter of getting used to it and making the best of what you're given, as the ole saying goes, "One must be able to acquiesce cheerfully in the dispensation of Providence." (or M$ as the case may be)

Computer = PHENOMX3
MOBO: ASUS M4A78 Plus
OS = Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Home Edition (5.1,build 2600)
Processor = AMD 8750 triple core 2.4GHz
RAM = 3328 MB
DX 9.0c
Nvidia GeForce GS 250, 512MB
Realtek HD audio
Disk Drives:
Floppy's: D: HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H21L, E: ASUS CD-S480/A5
HD's: C:ST3250310AS 250Gb
F: Maxtor 6L250S0 250Gb
H: SM_USB20 flash drive 4Gb
Monitor: Proscan 32" LCD TV in VGA mode.
#696106 - 05/31/06 06:12 AM Re: I know everyone appears to be flying OFF, but I don't care...  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
To my mind OFF is not a patch on RB3D. Great graphics admittedly, but as afar as game play goes forget it.

RB3D rules - especially coupled with WFP. Whch is still my favourite add-on. \:\)

There's lot of talk in the other forums about graphics, game play etc whether that be OFF, or the proposed WWI version of IL-2. But there so deadly dull - all new sims in fact.

In what new sim can you get such immersion as Squadron transfers, where a short vid appears showing you moving. Or a brief vid showing a land offensive, or newspaper headlines for aces shot down, and so on.

This sim has been on my computer (well t's moved to two newer ones over the years) since I bought RB II in 1998. And will stay there. \:\)

Graphics are great, and yes the visual side of new sims is astonishing. And lovely to fly around in. But in the end it's game play that's the winner for me. And no sim after EAW comes close to RB3D. \:\)

"Somewhere out there is page 6!"
"But Emillo you promised ....... it's postpone"
ASWWIAH Member
#696107 - 05/31/06 01:34 PM Re: I know everyone appears to be flying OFF, but I don't care...  
Toadvine Offline
Toadvine  Offline

Seattle
My big disappointment with OFF was the lack of interactivity with the environment. I went down to shoot up some buildings and... nothing. They just sat there while my bullets passed through. If it was RB everything would have been up in flames! The interactive environment of RB is astounding. If you see it and it's man made chances are it can be destroyed. That is a key gameplay element that is carried to a level I haven't seen in other sims. Everything in the game from vehicals to bridges to buildings to gun emplacements to observation balloons is interactive! Its easy to take for granted until you fly another sim and realize it is really rather unique. The amount of work that went into RB striking when you think about it.

#696108 - 06/04/06 07:25 AM Re: I know everyone appears to be flying OFF, but I don't care...  
MarkJhnstn Offline
MarkJhnstn  Offline

England
My hard drives are packed with games now old and new, from EAW, RB3D and SDOE up to IL2, CFS3 and BOBII:WoV. i have no plans to remove RB3D in the near future.It's still great for WW1 atmosphere and with Hells Angels and FCJ, greatly enhanced.

#696109 - 06/06/06 11:39 AM Re: I know everyone appears to be flying OFF, but I don't care...  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Of course OFF is work in progress..

Campaign will improve lots in Phase2, many objects you can destroy, try rockets or bombs on the buildings?
We have a few suprises too.. hey ho, a reasonable W.I.P. WW1 sim comes along for the first time in er 8 years lets just chuck it away back to RB wahoo!

RB is the finished article with many many years of mods on top of it, just showing it's age about 2 years ago though \:\/
OFF first has to convert a WW2 sim, and we have done that, now we can covert it and make it into something with Phase2.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#696110 - 06/13/06 04:46 AM Re: I know everyone appears to be flying OFF, but I don't care...  
TheHammer Offline
TheHammer  Offline

San Diego, CA
how much DD stuff is out there for RB? i see some terrain and objects... what about planes and cockpits?

that is the biggest thing turning me off to RB - the cockpits.

i can and have gotten the glide emulators working, but it still does not look that good. hate to say it, but looks DO add to the immersion factor. that and sound...

what's WFP?

Skiddmark,
you sig links for rensg... are dead.

Helmut Fritz
Wings of Fury, XO
http://www.rlgaming.com
#696111 - 06/13/06 06:18 AM Re: I know everyone appears to be flying OFF, but I don't care...  
MarkJhnstn Offline
MarkJhnstn  Offline

England
If you like WW1, you'll have RB, SDOE and OFF anyway. And don't forget Wings of War, Polovski has done some very nice work taking some of the arcade sting out of that.

#696112 - 06/13/06 04:27 PM Re: I know everyone appears to be flying OFF, but I don't care...  
DeltaK Offline
DeltaK  Offline

Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by Steel:
that is the biggest thing turning me off to RB - the cockpits.
Why don't you paint your own? :p

#696113 - 06/13/06 04:34 PM Re: I know everyone appears to be flying OFF, but I don't care...  
DeltaK Offline
DeltaK  Offline

Germany
Quote:
what's WFP?
Check out this:
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=62;t=001430

#696114 - 06/13/06 05:19 PM Re: I know everyone appears to be flying OFF, but I don't care...  
TheHammer Offline
TheHammer  Offline

San Diego, CA
re: cockpits. i do not have time, unfortunately. i am a volunteer beta tester for two products, work 60+ hours a week, have a small side business, a yard that needs a lot of work, participate in our on line groups gaming, and am married! i do not think i can carve more time out of my life right now. are those released anywhere?

ah...could not make the connection. thx.

that is one heck of a wiki entry there guys. that is nice work!

is there any of this stuff released for directdraw as opposed to glide? can the graphics be converted from glide to DD? i did see a terrain converter somewhere...

the other thing that probebly keeps any of us in our group from flying RB is the lack of coop. the campaigns would be GREAT coop, as well as just plain old missions. without that it will not catch on in our group. \:\(

Helmut Fritz
Wings of Fury, XO
#696115 - 06/13/06 08:42 PM Re: I know everyone appears to be flying OFF, but I don't care...  
DeltaK Offline
DeltaK  Offline

Germany
Quote:
re: cockpits. i do not have time, unfortunately. i am a volunteer beta tester for two products, work 60+ hours a week, have a small side business, a yard that needs a lot of work, participate in our on line groups gaming, and am married!
A nice list of priorities. Mariage comes last.

These cockpits are a work in progress and intended to go into my homebrew patch. At a later stage they might also be included in existing UOP's available for download.

A DD Terrain is availabe on the Hell's Angels site:
http://www.jamrom.com/hellsangels/
A wealth of downloads can also be found at:
http://www.swwisa.net/
http://www.flybert.net/index.html

#696116 - 06/13/06 11:32 PM Re: I know everyone appears to be flying OFF, but I don't care...  
TheHammer Offline
TheHammer  Offline

San Diego, CA
huh? wieso werden Sie sowas sagen? Sie kennen mich uber haupt nicht, und mann kann sehen Sie haben keine ahnung...

Helmut Fritz
Wings of Fury, XO
#696117 - 06/14/06 10:04 AM Re: I know everyone appears to be flying OFF, but I don't care...  
DeltaK Offline
DeltaK  Offline

Germany
Quote:
huh? wieso werden Sie sowas sagen? Sie kennen mich uber haupt nicht, und mann kann sehen Sie haben keine ahnung...
It's not a question of knowing you. I just referred to your list. And it was you who mentioned marriage as the final point.

Hey it's just my black sense of humor; finally I am married too. ;\) ;\)

#696118 - 06/15/06 01:26 AM Re: I know everyone appears to be flying OFF, but I don't care...  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Well why not - I'll go ahead and chime in. Been forum hopping the last few days - delphi here, frugals there, SimHQ and even the aerodrome. Free time is a nice thing when you get it.

I for one still fly RB3D. I have four versions installed as of right now. HA, WFP, FCJ and a combo patch of WFP on top of FCJ.

Frankly, the one that sees the most use is still Hell's Angels. I've said it time and again, Stachel just got it right. Looks great, flies wonderfully, and has a sky high frame rate on this new machine. You'd think with a 2 Ghz computer and an Nvidia Fx 5500 card, FCJ would run flawlessly but I still get chuggy frames over the front. HA is effortless. Just turn it on, load up a campaign and go - just right.

The next most used patch is WFP. Seems to make FCJ run more smoothly - I would suspect the improved 3d models in WFP being responsible for the uptick in fps.

I've had the game since 98 too - hasn't left the hard drive - ever.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
HMS Northumberland
by RedOneAlpha. 02/26/24 09:01 AM
Eagle Cams
by NoFlyBoy. 02/25/24 07:20 PM
For us old farts
by oldgrognard. 02/25/24 02:03 PM
Forty Four Years Ago....
by F4UDash4. 02/23/24 02:40 AM
Live Moon Landing: NOW
by F4UDash4. 02/22/24 10:46 PM
Excalibur
by PanzerMeyer. 02/22/24 07:29 PM
SimHQ Formula 1 Fantasy League
by DBond. 02/21/24 05:48 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.