Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#693725 - 06/11/04 01:25 AM Re: MP targeting question  
Double_Tap Offline
Double_Tap  Offline

Sunshine Coast, Australia
Salute! Don,

I knew your logical brain would not be able to resist devising a Star Trek long range scanner. \:D

Some thoughts.

Pressing T6, from memory, started a macro that did Sft-N, Alt-T, Alt-I. Just a one of press at the start of the game.

Sft-N only needs to be pressed once.

Key Pad 5 with Numlock on or off gives the Map. I am at work ATM and can't be precise. The other gives blue sky (up).

I really think that "O" will not be used that much.

The H2U is a critical button and it is easier to press up than pull down.

The one thing that the Cougar cannot do is chat to the rest of the pilots so the old keyboard will have to remain here. My squad use TeamSpeak and that helps a lot.

The subset of RB players who play MMP, own a Cougar and visit these forums would be a low single digit number so do not feel agreived by the lack of feedback. \:\)

The NFM flight model that is used in the majority of online games does not mimic torque. When I was fiddling with my profile and playing a bit of Solo with advanced FM chosen, I had trim functions built into the range and ant dials. They aren't required in NFM but can make AFM much easier.

In NFM one of the most frustrating things I encountered was how the Spad X111 has a tendency to jump around when diving at speed. It is a very unstable platform when it has the bit between the teeth.

One thing I was experimenting with was altering the sensitivity of the axes by mapping them to a dial and testing its effect on gunnery. I never got around to finishing it.

The reason was that I couldn't be a servent to two masters. I learnt RB with my MSFFB2 and I never could get as good in MMP with the Cougar. I found that trying to learn was adversely affecting my game in MMP. As we were involved in a Tournament I was compelled to shelve the Cougar.

These days I fly BoB and IL-2 FB with the Cougar and it is probably about time I gave it a whirl in RB again.

Could you email me you .tmj and .tmm so I could have a look?

~E!~
D_T

Gigabyte GA-Z77X UDH-3, i7 2600K, 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3, GeForce GTX 680 2GB.
Saitek Rudder Pedals
Cougar Hotas #08970 U2 #20
Thrustmaster Warthog
TrackIr 4 Pro
Windows 7 64 bit
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#693726 - 06/11/04 02:05 PM Re: MP targeting question  
DonULFonso Offline
DonULFonso  Offline

near THE Neandert(h)al
Quote:
Pressing T6, from memory, started a macro that did Sft-N, Alt-T, Alt-I. Just a one of press at the start of the game.
I've set up "ALT t" to be available as long as your in any internal view (fixed cockpit or internal padlock or slewable view), and I - personally - prefer it this way 'cause I only enable the transparent cockpit when dogfighting, while flying with the standard cockpit view.

Is it too much asked ;\) to just press "SHF n" and "ALT i" on your keyboard once when starting your 1st mission? I'd rather not "waste" a BuTtoN for these "one-timers" 'cause I can make better use of my BuTtoNs \:D for the more important functions.

Quote:
Key Pad 5 with Numlock on or off gives the Map. I am at work ATM and can't be precise. The other gives blue sky (up).
I really think that "O" will not be used that much.
The map must be "KP5" with NUMLock "off" since the default function is "90 up" - and if I'm not mistaken, then the "KP5"s map is just the same as the one displayed when looking at the kneepad via "KP0", no? Anyway, I'll test it myself to see whether there are any differences, and if, whether these differences mean that one map is "better" than the other. Anyway, you shouldn't bother with the way I code it ;\) (and which keys I use) but just enjoy the results \:D ...

Quote:
The H2U is a critical button and it is easier to press up than pull down.
I've already changed it accordingly - your argumentation convinced me \:\) . (More later in the README ;\) ...)

Quote:
The one thing that the Cougar cannot do is chat to the rest of the pilots so the old keyboard will have to remain here. My squad use TeamSpeak and that helps a lot.
Wait for the README ;\) : I've set up a special "chat"-mode for the 6 macros; this mode is just meant to send these pre-defined macros, not to type in custom messages - to type in messages you of course still need your keyboard ;\) , sure.

Quote:
The subset of RB players who play MMP, own a Cougar and visit these forums would be a low single digit number so do not feel agreived by the lack of feedback.
Hehe, I know ;\) - but as long as this "low single digit number" leads to the info I've already been helped out with here it's OK for me \:\) .

Quote:
The NFM flight model that is used in the majority of online games does not mimic torque. When I was fiddling with my profile and playing a bit of Solo with advanced FM chosen, I had trim functions built into the range and ant dials. They aren't required in NFM but can make AFM much easier.
I always had elevation and aileron TRIM assigned to the ANTenna ring and the RaNGe knob, and I'll leave 'em there 'cause in SP I never fly anything but only AFM, so there I'll need it - and someone might fly AFM in MP as well, so it don't hurt to leave these TRIMs assigned. I couldn't use the ROTARIES for anything else that would be useful there anyway, so I prefer to have the same "layout" for both SP and MP.

Quote:
One thing I was experimenting with was altering the sensitivity of the axes by mapping them to a dial and testing its effect on gunnery. I never got around to finishing it.
In my early Cougar days ;\) I often played around with the JOYSTICK's CURVEs being "linked" to the view's zoom, but I've stopped this a (short) while ago due to several reasons (one of 'em being potential "jumps" when zooming with an off-center JOYSTICK).

Quote:
The reason was that I couldn't be a servent to two masters. I learnt RB with my MSFFB2 and I never could get as good in MMP with the Cougar. I found that trying to learn was adversely affecting my game in MMP. As we were involved in a Tournament I was compelled to shelve the Cougar.

These days I fly BoB and IL-2 FB with the Cougar and it is probably about time I gave it a whirl in RB again.
I've started a MP set-up for FB a while ago but didn't finish it yet ;\) - I sure will... later.

Quote:
Could you email me you .tmj and .tmm so I could have a look?
It wouldn't make any sense to mail my set-ups without at least some raw README. A careless look at the uncommented coding could lead you to the impression that they are a hell of a complicated mess while in fact it's only the coding that's somewhat complex - to ensure that the handling itself is as easy and intuitive as can be \:\) !

The "problem" with RB3D is that some functions work as switches (F1, F2) while others work as toggles (F3, F8), and some of them depend on the current circumstances to work dis or dat way or at all (F8): to get 'em all together and make 'em fit in one big "closed system" and ensure that it runs round and not out of sync thus requires complex - not complicated ;\) - means. Moreover, due to RB3D's very "special" way to handle its in-game functions there are some things you can do with my set-ups which you cannot spot by scanning the code.

So, I won't send anything without at least some explaining notes, sorry - it's for your own mental health \:D .

Ulf 'Don ULFonso' Muckel
www.Thrustmaster-X-Files.de
Let your gear 'think' - while you... fly!
#693727 - 06/12/04 12:14 AM Re: MP targeting question  
Double_Tap Offline
Double_Tap  Offline

I received the files, thanks Don.
The springs did not arrive by Friday afternoon so I will have to wait till Tuesday, Monday being a holiday here, to reassemble and test them. Sorry for the delay. Also my ISP has stopped me sending any emails...grrr.

Gigabyte GA-Z77X UDH-3, i7 2600K, 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3, GeForce GTX 680 2GB.
Saitek Rudder Pedals
Thrustmaster Warthog
TrackIr 4 Pro
Windows 7 64 bit
#693728 - 06/12/04 10:26 AM Re: MP targeting question  
DonULFonso Offline
DonULFonso  Offline

near THE Neandert(h)al
To just COMPILE the files you don't even need to have the Cougar connected, and to DOWNLOAD them it's gotta be connected but springs or none doesn't matter ;\) ...

Ulf 'Don ULFonso' Muckel
#693729 - 06/13/04 03:15 AM Re: MP targeting question  
Double_Tap Offline
Double_Tap  Offline

Rgr that Don,
Compiled and got a device detection error so unless it polls the Cougar first before downloading then you have a winner. Stay tuned.

Saitek Rudder Pedals
Thrustmaster Warthog
TrackIr 4 Pro
Windows 7 64 bit
#693730 - 06/13/04 06:32 PM Re: MP targeting question  
DonULFonso Offline
DonULFonso  Offline

near THE Neandert(h)al
In the meantime I've tweaked the view-system a lil' bit more ;\) - lemme know when your kitten's purring again and I'll send you what I'll have got till then...

Ulf 'Don ULFonso' Muckel
#693731 - 06/21/04 02:52 PM Re: MP targeting question  
DonULFonso Offline
DonULFonso  Offline

near THE Neandert(h)al
OK, THX to the help I've received here I've been able to finally finish my completely re-written RB3D-setups for Thrustmaster's HOTAS Cougar(*) - a big THX to all who've participated!

Those that are interested (or at least curious enough) can find the "gold" versions here . The package contains both the single player as well as the multiplayer "gold" versions of the set-up, including a README with both a basic overview of the general mapping as well as detailed explanations of how to use it; a further paragraph covering the use of these set-ups in form of a walk-through has been added, too. And for the very 1st time ever ;\) this package even contains a GRAPHICal overview.

Feel free to give it a try - you'll be surprised what your kitten's capable of doing ...

* (If you should "only" ;\) have an upgraded digital SWF22, let me know and I'll consider converting the set-ups - almost all of their "goodies" are downward-compatible \:\) .)

Ulf 'Don ULFonso' Muckel
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
HMS Northumberland
by RedOneAlpha. 02/26/24 09:01 AM
Eagle Cams
by NoFlyBoy. 02/25/24 07:20 PM
For us old farts
by oldgrognard. 02/25/24 02:03 PM
Forty Four Years Ago....
by F4UDash4. 02/23/24 02:40 AM
Live Moon Landing: NOW
by F4UDash4. 02/22/24 10:46 PM
Excalibur
by PanzerMeyer. 02/22/24 07:29 PM
SimHQ Formula 1 Fantasy League
by DBond. 02/21/24 05:48 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.