Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#689696 - 10/22/02 03:06 AM Patches galore - I'm confused!  
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 1,478
Zero Niner Offline
Member
Zero Niner  Offline
Member

Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 1,478
Singapore
There seem to be a great number of patches & add-ons for RB3D and I'm more than a bit confused.

Could some kind soul emlighten me on what's essential, what's useful, which ones are incompatible with others?

For instance I came across Beery's Super Patch. Then there is the Promised Land, Revenge of the Jastas and God know what else. There's a direct draw converter to add to the confusion.

Please help!

Until I get an old Voodoo card, I am forced to use DDraw as the GLidos thingy doesn;t work on my PC.

------------------
Zero Niner, out.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#689697 - 10/22/02 05:05 AM Re: Patches galore - I'm confused!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered


Quote:
Originally posted by Zero Niner:
There seem to be a great number of patches & add-ons for RB3D and I'm more than a bit confused.

Could some kind soul emlighten me on what's essential, what's useful, which ones are incompatible with others?

For instance I came across Beery's Super Patch. Then there is the Promised Land, Revenge of the Jastas and God know what else. There's a direct draw converter to add to the confusion.

Please help!

Until I get an old Voodoo card, I am forced to use DDraw as the GLidos thingy doesn;t work on my PC.



You only need one:

http://www.benchmarksims.com/ROTJ/

Install to C:\Sierra\RedBaron3d\Data\SIMPATCH

DO NOT download the PL Version.........I will be deleting that one.

#689698 - 10/22/02 05:14 AM Re: Patches galore - I'm confused!  
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32
vonManstein Offline
Junior Member
vonManstein  Offline
Junior Member

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32
Portugal
But what if we want to use the PL terrain and ROTJ together?

#689699 - 10/22/02 05:18 AM Re: Patches galore - I'm confused!  
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,568
castiglione Offline
Senior Member
castiglione  Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,568
Houston, Texas, United States ...
Where can I find Panama Red's DM/FM patch?

I can't seem to find it anywhere .

------------------
"Forget it Ming, Dale's with me." - Flash Gordon


"Hello! How are you gentlemen?

You have no chance to survive, make your time!"
#689700 - 10/22/02 06:02 AM Re: Patches galore - I'm confused!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered


Quote:
Originally posted by vonManstein:
But what if we want to use the PL terrain and ROTJ together?


When PL was created, it was created to *ONLY* work with WFP.

Thus, my PL version of ROTJ is not 100% compatable.

All is not lost, however..........

ROTJ II works great with Tom Winter's or Rabu's terrain!

And both offer FPS friendly versions of their terrain, that not only are better FR, but do not cause the "black squares"!



Further, I will be working on terrain for ROTJ myself, that will be equal to, if not better than PL Terrain.


#689701 - 10/22/02 06:03 AM Re: Patches galore - I'm confused!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered


Quote:
Originally posted by FlashGordon2000:
Where can I find Panama Red's DM/FM patch?

I can't seem to find it anywhere .



If it's not at Wings of Valor, it probably don't exist anymore, unless someone can send you an archived copy.

#689702 - 10/22/02 06:14 AM Re: Patches galore - I'm confused!  
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 1,478
Zero Niner Offline
Member
Zero Niner  Offline
Member

Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 1,478
Singapore
VonHelton
Thank you for the link. But I was unable to find a description of what ROTJ is. Is it a patch? An addon? Both? Does it correct FM's for instance. Does it add new graphics?

Sorry to have to ask what to all of you would be obvious. 3 years or so ago when I played RB3D on my old PC (didn't have internet then) I just flew the game as it was out of the box. Now it appears that it's a whole different ball game.

My system specs (if it'll help):
P3 500 MHz
256 MB PC100 RAM
MS Precision Pro joystick
17" monitor, running at 1024 x 768 res.
Creative Labs 3D Blaster TNT2 Ultra w/32MB RAM
SB Live! sound card
DX 8.0 or 8.1 (can't remember which)

I tried the GLidos drivers, and while it worked ingame, whenever I tried to "End mission" the game would crash. Also, fps would drop to single digit from time to time especially near the ground (using the game's frame counter).


------------------
Zero Niner, out.

#689703 - 10/22/02 12:57 PM Re: Patches galore - I'm confused!  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,118
Brigstock Offline
Senior Member
Brigstock  Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,118
London, England
Quote:
Originally posted by VonHelton:
When PL was created, it was created to *ONLY* work with WFP.

Thus, my PL version of ROTJ is not 100% compatable.

All is not lost, however..........

ROTJ II works great with Tom Winter's or Rabu's terrain!

And both offer FPS friendly versions of their terrain, that not only are better FR, but do not cause the "black squares"!



Further, I will be working on terrain for ROTJ myself, that will be equal to, if not better than PL Terrain.





Only Rabu offers the downsized terrain,and that's only available on CD from him

Tom's terrain is 256x256 just like the PL terrain and if anything it's more FPS intensive because of the extra .aph files.Also it's not the terrain that causes the graphics corruption it's the PL flak and effects.
This has been fixed by DeltaK,I'll dig up a link later.
Also OpenGlide users can set texture memory at 4 megs to fix it.

EDIT: http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=swwisa&msg=1739.1 for the DeltaK PL flak fix
------------------
RFC266 Brigstock

[This message has been edited by Brigstock (edited 10-22-2002).]

#689704 - 10/22/02 01:18 PM Re: Patches galore - I'm confused!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered


Quote:
Originally posted by Zero Niner:
VonHelton
Thank you for the link. But I was unable to find a description of what ROTJ is. Is it a patch? An addon? Both? Does it correct FM's for instance. Does it add new graphics?

Sorry to have to ask what to all of you would be obvious. 3 years or so ago when I played RB3D on my old PC (didn't have internet then) I just flew the game as it was out of the box. Now it appears that it's a whole different ball game.

My system specs (if it'll help):
P3 500 MHz
256 MB PC100 RAM
MS Precision Pro joystick
17" monitor, running at 1024 x 768 res.
Creative Labs 3D Blaster TNT2 Ultra w/32MB RAM
SB Live! sound card
DX 8.0 or 8.1 (can't remember which)

I tried the GLidos drivers, and while it worked ingame, whenever I tried to "End mission" the game would crash. Also, fps would drop to single digit from time to time especially near the ground (using the game's frame counter).




ROTJ is an all-inclusive patch. It upgrades nearly everything, including FM's.


#689705 - 10/22/02 01:20 PM Re: Patches galore - I'm confused!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered


Quote:
Originally posted by Brigstock:
Only Rabu offers the downsized terrain,and that's only available on CD from him

Tom's terrain is 256x256 just like the PL terrain and if anything it's more FPS intensive because of the extra .aph files.Also it's not the terrain that causes the graphics corruption it's the PL flak and effects.
This has been fixed by DeltaK,I'll dig up a link later.
Also OpenGlide users can set texture memory at 4 megs to fix it.

EDIT: http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=swwisa&msg=1739.1 for the DeltaK PL flak fix


I thought Tom had a DD-Friendly version??


#689706 - 10/22/02 01:30 PM Re: Patches galore - I'm confused!  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,118
Brigstock Offline
Senior Member
Brigstock  Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,118
London, England
Quote:
Originally posted by VonHelton:
You only need one:

http://www.benchmarksims.com/ROTJ/

Install to C:\Sierra\RedBaron3d\Data\SIMPATCH

DO NOT download the PL Version.........I will be deleting that one.



Why pull the PL version if it works?

I should think any UOP can be made to work with the PL download.By pulling ROTJ PL version you are just alienating people who want to use the PL stuff

EDIT: Also I think you'll find that WFP was altered to work with the New PL patch.
I have never read any where that Kess produced this "only" to work with WFP,he just suggested it would compliment it.

------------------
RFC266 Brigstock

[This message has been edited by Brigstock (edited 10-22-2002).]

#689707 - 10/22/02 01:56 PM Re: Patches galore - I'm confused!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered


It looks like James is pissed off about something.

#689708 - 10/22/02 04:19 PM Re: Patches galore - I'm confused!  
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 40
Flybert Offline
WingWalkers Staff
Flybert  Offline
WingWalkers Staff
Junior Member

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 40
California
The Promised Land Superpatch is incompatable with ROTJ due to Data/lowres.vol which has a different set of plane models than ROTJ.

If you want to use the new PL terrains with ROTJ , just rename lowres.vol in your Data folder .. OR make a copy of the 4 3dpatch folder .vol files from PL , then uninstall PL Super , install ROTJ , and put those 4 3d********.vol files back into your 3dpatch folder.

Using recompressed .vol files for Red Baron mods is a useful technology , promising better framerates and freedom from 1000s of loose files.

Expect some glitches at first.

I have permission from Tom Winters to release mods of his terrains .. if people really want a 1/2 sized set with or without the .aph files ... I can do that ...

That being said .. I fully support and am a minor contributor to both The Promised Land and Western Front Patch.

ROTJ is cool too , and I encourage the Baron to keep advancing the game with it

http://www.flybert.net

#689709 - 10/22/02 05:46 PM Re: Patches galore - I'm confused!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered


Again though, if you remove the PL lowres file you will lose sevral things like objects and sound FX.

#689710 - 10/22/02 07:10 PM Re: Patches galore - I'm confused!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered


Quote:
Originally posted by Brigstock:
Why pull the PL version if it works?

I should think any UOP can be made to work with the PL download.By pulling ROTJ PL version you are just alienating people who want to use the PL stuff

EDIT: Also I think you'll find that WFP was altered to work with the New PL patch.
I have never read any where that Kess produced this "only" to work with WFP,he just suggested it would compliment it.



It's working about 90%.........That's not good enough.

Besides, ROTJ-PLV is a step *BACKWARDS*, not forwards........

(ROTJ-PLV is a modified version of ROTJ-1c)

#689711 - 10/22/02 09:03 PM Re: Patches galore - I'm confused!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered


Not technically correct, it was created with the WFP patch in mind, that being a basic model for patches of that sort, technically the PL superpatch should work with alot of other enhancements, i think your enhancements have new plane slots and such done to them which is probably why there are issues between ROTJ and PL.


Quote:
Originally posted by VonHelton:
When PL was created, it was created to *ONLY* work with WFP.

Thus, my PL version of ROTJ is not 100% compatable.

All is not lost, however..........

ROTJ II works great with Tom Winter's or Rabu's terrain!

And both offer FPS friendly versions of their terrain, that not only are better FR, but do not cause the "black squares"!



Further, I will be working on terrain for ROTJ myself, that will be equal to, if not better than PL Terrain.







------------------
Kess
The Promised Land


#689712 - 10/22/02 10:44 PM Re: Patches galore - I'm confused!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered


Quote:
Originally posted by Kess:
Not technically correct, it was created with the WFP patch in mind, that being a basic model for patches of that sort, technically the PL superpatch should work with alot of other enhancements, i think your enhancements have new plane slots and such done to them which is probably why there are issues between ROTJ and PL.


ROTJ-PLV doesn't have extra aircraft, and it seems some people re having trouble with that as well..........

UOP 4.5 doesn't work either, and it doesn't have extra aircraft.

........It must be something else.

#689713 - 10/23/02 02:07 AM Re: Patches galore - I'm confused!  
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 1,478
Zero Niner Offline
Member
Zero Niner  Offline
Member

Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 1,478
Singapore

VonHelton
What terrain patch can I use with ROTJ? I saw some screen shots of add-on terrain and they look much better than the stock RB3D ones.

You're saying that the PL UOP is not 100% compatible with ROTJ?

#689714 - 10/23/02 03:15 AM Re: Patches galore - I'm confused!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered


i thought you had a modded ROTJ that was working?


Quote:
Originally posted by VonHelton:
ROTJ-PLV doesn't have extra aircraft, and it seems some people re having trouble with that as well..........

UOP 4.5 doesn't work either, and it doesn't have extra aircraft.

........It must be something else.


#689715 - 10/23/02 04:00 AM Re: Patches galore - I'm confused!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered


Quote:
Originally posted by Zero Niner:

VonHelton
What terrain patch can I use with ROTJ? I saw some screen shots of add-on terrain and they look much better than the stock RB3D ones.

You're saying that the PL UOP is not 100% compatible with ROTJ?


If you use a Glide video card, or the Glide Wrapper, you can try here:

http://www.interplanetary.freeserve.co.uk/

So far as I know, Tom's terrain works with ROTJ II with no problems.


Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
April 8th Solar Eclipse
by NoFlyBoy. 03/03/24 11:40 PM
SimHQ TS down?
by Bohemond. 03/03/24 04:55 PM
'Shogun'; anybody?
by BD-123. 03/02/24 11:18 AM
Fighter ace causes of death
by PanzerMeyer. 02/27/24 06:46 PM
HMS Northumberland
by RedOneAlpha. 02/26/24 09:01 AM
Eagle Cams
by NoFlyBoy. 02/25/24 07:20 PM
For us old farts
by oldgrognard. 02/25/24 02:03 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0