Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#688231 - 04/20/02 10:43 PM "Voodoo2" card?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a Radeon 7500 for playing "Battle of Britain", but really miss my 3dfx features of RB. Could someone please enlighten me about the Voodoo2 graphic accelerator? I'd like to know if it will work with my card, and what exactly to look for while shopping for a used card.

BTW, thanks to Lamarck for an excellent response to my question about dual cards.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#688232 - 04/20/02 11:55 PM Re: "Voodoo2" card?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Hurridale. Thanks for your kind comments above, but I'm only giving back the advice that others have offered me in the past. It's one of the great things about flight simmers.

I've been down this Voodoo 2 route myself but I guess my motherboard wouldn't support the two cards. Perhaps you'll have better luck. I reproduce below the advice a very helpful guy by the name of Steve Fleming offered me last year:

"First things first.I'll write this assuming you know nothing of computers,I don't want to seem patronising but I'm not sure how much you do know.

On a new install of the secondary card.Do not load the drivers that came with it.Load the Voodoo reference drivers 30.02.02. instead.If you are using SE it will probably load a set of old V2 drivers as default anyway.
Next load in the 30 02 02 drivers.It will ask you to reboot your system,DON'T DO THIS.Instead go to the SCU.To get there hit start,click run and type MSCONFIG in the box.This will bring up the system configuration utility.Check the box for "load startup group items" under the general tab.Now go to the start up tab.There should be a check box for the Voodoo2.This box enables the V2 to update the registry each time you boot up.This has caused quite a lot of problems with newer Video Cards.So uncheck the Voodoo box.The result of this action will mean you will lose the use of V2 tools tab under display properties but there are plenty of third party tweakers for the V2 out there.So no problem.A good one is tweakit (enclosed in the email)

Another way to get around the reg update would mean delving into the registry itself and editing the command line for that entry.The route to this is:start,run,type regedit in the box.Up pops the registry editor.Click on the folders below until you get to the run folder.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Once there you'll see the v2 update command.right click it and select modify.Edit the line so you lose the update reg.It looks something like this "3dfxCmn.dll,Update reg"
or something simular(excuse me if its not 100% I'm writing this from memory).Edit it so you lose the update bit* dont forget the comma after the DLL part of the line.The above should only be tackled if you are comfortable with reg entrys

Once this is done then shutdown and restart.

Now because you have already loaded your card drivers you'll have to uninstall the card and drivers.First do a uninstall from add/remove software.Then remove via device manager.Before you restart do a search in windows for any stray drivers.Look in the system folder in the windows main folder and remove any drivers with glide in the title or 3dfx also look in the inf folder for the voodoo.inf and remove.Easiest way would be to do a search using find files or folders from the start button.Once thats done follow the above guidelines.

If this all fails to get the result you are after,you may have to resign yourself to the fact that it can't be done.I see a lot of posts were people will say "just throw a Voodoo2 in".They do not realise that modern machines (specifically motherboards) aren't made to run multiple Video cards,and so it isn't always as simple as that."

#688233 - 04/21/02 01:07 AM Re: "Voodoo2" card?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Lamarck for the quick response. I'll be shopping for a Voodoo2 card and give it a whirl.

#688234 - 04/21/02 01:39 AM Re: "Voodoo2" card?  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
Lamarck
There's a set of better drivers to be found here http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/brigstock/v2.exe .
These are very compatable drivers for all setups and don't need any aditional tinkering in reg settings,the update reg setting has been deleted from the inf file.
I have them working on my setup where all else failed.

------------------
Brigstock

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.