Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#686346 - 08/15/01 07:02 PM Re: Has anyone ever survived a campaign?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I too have got tired of MMP. Just not that fun anymore, you get sick of it after a while. Also real life(tm) keeps me away from it most of the time. But I'm proud of putting that RAF in front of my name in whatever place I post a message, and that's good enough to keep me attached

About running... Well, saying is one thing, doing it is another. The fact is your wingies are VERY stupid, you are lucky if they don't engage the enemy. The thing gets more hard as you go into offensive patrol or other missions you gotta cross the front. The main reason I use RNAS squads is because they have 3 great dogfight options, N17, Pup and Tripe. Whenever I have to cross the front I assign at least 2 wingmates and fly the Tripe. If I go for a CAP I usualy am happy flying a N17.
Also, if I fly the 9 RNAS I get to fly later the RAF 209, my online squad. Even tho I HATE Camels, I get to beat the Dr1's with it and later I have the Snipe, that is just one heckuva fighter.

BTW, talking about running, once I decided to join some Jasta in the late stage of the war (realy late, october or november of 1918). I did read a thing in Beery's page saying "never make lone wolfs after XXX, 1916. Well, I decided to give it a shot, got my D. VII and headed to enemy territory... Wasn't my surprise when I saw nothing more, nothing less than 12 enemy SPAD XIII comming my way (US94th if i remember). Turned back home, tried to run but no go, they got me good.
Not always running saves you

Salute!
Slicer

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#686347 - 08/15/01 11:09 PM Re: Has anyone ever survived a campaign?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its a VERY rare moment that anyone can get away from a Spad. They are just too quick.

#686348 - 08/16/01 02:39 AM Re: Has anyone ever survived a campaign?  
Double_Tap Offline
Double_Tap  Offline

Sunshine Coast, Australia
Recently I have been trying to learn how to fly the Spad after years of being a confirmed turn and burner in more . Old habits die hard and I am finding it very difficult.
I have set the Fly Now! setting on Elite and fly against the DR1 and DVII. I don't seem to be able to get away from these blighters. By the time I come down from doing an Immelman I have an arse full of lead. I thought I should be able to outrun these critters easily. Any hints?

Regards,
Poyungan

Gigabyte GA-Z77X UDH-3, i7 2600K, 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3, GeForce GTX 680 2GB.
Saitek Rudder Pedals
Cougar Hotas #08970 U2 #20
Thrustmaster Warthog
TrackIr 4 Pro
Windows 7 64 bit
#686349 - 08/16/01 01:49 PM Re: Has anyone ever survived a campaign?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

S!

when pursued by more than 4 enemy who are faster than you LAND!

Wait for them to get out of "E" contact range before starting your engine.

#686350 - 08/16/01 03:41 PM Re: Has anyone ever survived a campaign?  
LE Heureux Offline
Red Baron ESC 124
LE Heureux  Offline
Red Baron ESC 124

NE Colorado USA
Quote:
Originally posted by poyungan:
Recently I have been trying to learn how to fly the Spad after years of being a confirmed turn and burner in more . Old habits die hard and I am finding it very difficult.
I have set the Fly Now! setting on Elite and fly against the DR1 and DVII. I don't seem to be able to get away from these blighters. By the time I come down from doing an Immelman I have an arse full of lead. I thought I should be able to outrun these critters easily. Any hints?

Regards,
Poyungan

Salut Polyungan!
You have to use climbing turns to get/stay above them. Attack only when diving from a height advantage. There isn't much time to line up and take a shot. Zoom climb after each firing pass when possible and extend (=run a bit)if they are getting around on you.... This advice also applies to MMP.

The main difference in MMP is your opponent will prop hang and hose you from far below if you try to eke out the last bit of altitude from the zoom climb. You have to keep your speed up and start a fast climbing turn sooner in MMP. The SP pilots won't make such extreme shots and will hold fire in positions where you'd get a hot lead enema in MMP.
BTW, in MMP, the "prop hang" is followed by a stall and recovery, which is a great time for le Spud driver to swoop down and take a shot.

Au revoir en l'air...S!
Heureux

Au revoir en l'air...S!
Hex
#686351 - 08/16/01 05:33 PM Re: Has anyone ever survived a campaign?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by LE Heureux:
BTW, in MMP, the "prop hang" is followed by a stall and recovery, which is a great time for le Spud driver to swoop down and take a shot.
Heureux

Spoken like a true Spud lover! Yeah those DR1 jockeys love the prop hang. If you toy with 'em a bit first they fall for it every time -- drop on them, take a long distance pot shot to keep them honest and pull up WAY early. They figure you're coming down on them and pull up for the prop hang. In the meantime you've climbed WAY above them and while they try to line up that little teeny speck in the sky, they begin to stall at which point you fall on them like a ton of bricks. If you time it right you can blast the heck outta them as they are completely motionless in the stall with the entire top wing exposed. While they recover the stall you zoom back up again. If you play with them using partial "sucker" zooms some of the time then they will blow their alt. Sometimes they stall right into the ground and sometimes they get so low that you can yoyo them using your superior speed and greater energy state. This REALLY gets em mad cause you're turn fighting them in a Spad AND WINNING!

#686352 - 08/16/01 07:04 PM Re: Has anyone ever survived a campaign?  
LE Heureux Offline
Red Baron ESC 124
LE Heureux  Offline
Red Baron ESC 124

NE Colorado USA
>>This REALLY gets em mad cause you're turn fighting them in a Spad AND WINNING!>>

Le big grin. I often fly Hun when the odds are heavily Entente. Doing so taught me first hand why Huns HATE spuds. I get a real kick out of lamenting in Hun team chat,

"I hate SPADS"

Somehow, my "fellow" Huns never get the irony.

Au revoir en l'air...S!
Heureux

Au revoir en l'air...S!
Hex
#686353 - 08/16/01 07:20 PM Re: Has anyone ever survived a campaign?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Spads are lame....and...

And you, Sir, are a BOOGER!!!

(quote of Tron, as he creeps out of the wreckage of his stalled Fokker DR1 once more)

Tron
LoneWulffe_Sturmbock

#686354 - 08/16/01 08:04 PM Re: Has anyone ever survived a campaign?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

"I am so!"

(When challenged by Huns it is acceptable to use a modfied reply which confuses them even more than a skunk flying a Spad does.)

BTW the D7 is such a sweet crate I don't know why anyone would take a DR1 (other than the fact they're fun for melees.) The D7 is faster, goes up like an elevator, recovers E better than any crate out there, is a stable platform with awesome guns, rolls like it's on ball bearings and loses nothing at altitude. The only problem is it is slower than the Allied crates so if you get low you can get chased down.

Bout the only thing that can get above a D7 is a Tripe and you just walk away from those.

I look forward to meeting WW/LW in RBWL Week 22! Salute!

------------------
Lt. Pepe LePeu, DSO, AFC, BO
Flight Leader Charlie
209 Squadron RAF

#686355 - 08/16/01 08:30 PM Re: Has anyone ever survived a campaign?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

"No, you are NOT!!!" ...err...huh?

(those hideous allied verbal tactics are EVIL)

LOL...looking forward to fly against you, too!

Salute!
(err...whats that smell all of a sudden... ***passes out***)

Tron
LoneWulffe_Sturmbock

#686356 - 08/16/01 11:49 PM Re: Has anyone ever survived a campaign?  
Double_Tap Offline
Double_Tap  Offline

Sunshine Coast, Australia
I think I am beginning to like the Spud. Looks like a fish and steers like a cow. And since my brother(great mate in real life, avowed enemy for the last three decades in all forms of sport and play)loves the DR1 and DVII, it surely is my duty to master the arcane art of potato flying and make him scratch his head in awe.
Thanks for the tips.
Regards,
Poyungan.

Gigabyte GA-Z77X UDH-3, i7 2600K, 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3, GeForce GTX 680 2GB.
Saitek Rudder Pedals
Cougar Hotas #08970 U2 #20
Thrustmaster Warthog
TrackIr 4 Pro
Windows 7 64 bit
#686357 - 08/17/01 04:52 PM Re: Has anyone ever survived a campaign?  
LE Heureux Offline
Red Baron ESC 124
LE Heureux  Offline
Red Baron ESC 124

NE Colorado USA
"No, he's NOT! I am!" In French that's "Le Bourget", non?

>>"duty to master the arcane art of potato flying">>

"Flyed" is good, also mashed or baked.

Au revoir en l'air, my little "tater tot"...S!
Heureux

Au revoir en l'air...S!
Hex
#686358 - 08/17/01 06:12 PM Re: Has anyone ever survived a campaign?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
"Flyed" is good, also mashed or baked.

I see you are not without a sense of humour, Heureux! Have you tried the Onion "wings" ?

------------------
Flight Leader Charlie
209 Squadron RAF

#686359 - 08/17/01 06:54 PM Re: Has anyone ever survived a campaign?  
LE Heureux Offline
Red Baron ESC 124
LE Heureux  Offline
Red Baron ESC 124

NE Colorado USA
Humor? Moi? But of course...if happy I want to be, a good sense of humor is essential. I'm not familiar with le onion "wings", though. Are they "French" fried? le yum! )

I have also read of a particularly nasty looking type of Archie that is called a "flaming onion".

BTW, I happen to LIKE the small spotted skunks. They have no odor unless they spray...unlike the perpetual aroma of the Great North American variety.

My wife once accidently petted a spotted skunk in our barn when feeding the cat after dark. She pushed him lovingly aside so she could fill the bowl he was eating out of and thought his coat felt a little wiry, but he kept happily crunching away. As she turned to leave, she saw our CAT in the doorway, so she turned on the light...le voila! (to coin a phrase)

Au revoir en l'air...S!
Heureux

Au revoir en l'air...S!
Hex
#686360 - 08/17/01 08:43 PM Re: Has anyone ever survived a campaign?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
BTW, I happen to LIKE the small spotted skunks. They have no odor unless they spray...unlike the perpetual aroma of the Great North American variety.

The spotted skunk lacks the character and natural charisma of a striped skunk such as myself. I am not surprised your wife found one eating out of your cat's bowl in the barn. Striped skunks have a natural appreciation for the finer things in life such as grilled Ahi tuna, Pouilly Fuisse, and fallen chocolate souffle with white chocolate sauce. Crunchy Cat Chow and drinking from the toilet I will leave to my less refined spotted southern cousins.

------------------
Flight Leader Charlie
209 Squadron RAF

#686361 - 08/17/01 10:33 PM Re: Has anyone ever survived a campaign?  
LE Heureux Offline
Red Baron ESC 124
LE Heureux  Offline
Red Baron ESC 124

NE Colorado USA
"Touche"

(You Elitist stinker!)

LMAO!
Hex

Au revoir en l'air...S!
Hex
#686362 - 09/05/01 01:26 PM Re: Has anyone ever survived a campaign?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Skylark:
Make it though an entire campaign with the same pilot without cheating? Not yet. Like Herr Mac, I to fly with 'full realism' for that total immersion effect and have never survived pass a few months. I restart the game, in the month of the occurrence and with a new Jasta. This way my game moves along and I get to fly with various aces and in different coloured liveries.

hi rgr that idea...
i'm thinking of using the french campaign editor needed for the PPP to delete all my pilots kills when he dies but resurect him anyway and carry on ...as his own replacement sort of thing so my kill tally dies but the pilot lives on to fight another day..whaddya think??
salute
bort

------------------
oh to be in England now that England's here...i stand up-right in my wheel barrow and pretend i'm Bodecia

#686363 - 09/25/01 01:54 PM Re: Has anyone ever survived a campaign?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just might survive an RFC campaign if my beloved Camel wasn't taken away from me for "good behaviour" and swapped for an SE5a.

Damn you, Trenchard!

#686364 - 09/25/01 04:22 PM Re: Has anyone ever survived a campaign?  
King Rat Offline
King Rat  Offline

Utah, USA
Just bopped in here on a whim and have two comments:

What an amazingly civilized, not to say humorous, forum. Must be something about the Knights of the Air that's for real even if simmed. (Compare to, say, IL-2 or Falcon 4...)

The discussion on survival times is enlightening. I know more or less nothing about WWI planes, but the now defunct public effort of 17 Hours informed me of the estimated average lifespan of a pilot in those days. Seems RB does justice to the idea.

If I hadn't killed my V5500 card I could maybe try this sim out. But as things stand I have no Glide capable vid card.

Regards, Lads.

KR
Oh, wait, that was three comments. "There are three kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't."

#686365 - 09/25/01 10:28 PM Re: Has anyone ever survived a campaign?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Howdy
Well KingRat (Great name Big Weasel Thinks
The MMP and SP for that matter gameplay
is good enough to try and locate a
Voodoo2 or Voodoo one card just for glide.

Shouldn't set ya back that much. There will
be a few hassle in set up, but nothing
the RB community can't help with.

S!
Hope to see fellow Vermin in the air!
BigWeasel

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
HMS Northumberland
by RedOneAlpha. 02/26/24 09:01 AM
Eagle Cams
by NoFlyBoy. 02/25/24 07:20 PM
For us old farts
by oldgrognard. 02/25/24 02:03 PM
Forty Four Years Ago....
by F4UDash4. 02/23/24 02:40 AM
Live Moon Landing: NOW
by F4UDash4. 02/22/24 10:46 PM
Excalibur
by PanzerMeyer. 02/22/24 07:29 PM
SimHQ Formula 1 Fantasy League
by DBond. 02/21/24 05:48 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.