Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#686281 - 08/05/01 11:53 PM Re: This place has become quiet....  
Hentzau Offline
Hentzau  Offline

Tampa, Florida USA
Salute Gripen,
When you mention that Oleg&Co. dropped the ball on SP, do you mean that IL-2s not going to be a dynamic campaign or does it mean poor AI???

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#686282 - 08/05/01 11:56 PM Re: This place has become quiet....  
Hentzau Offline
Hentzau  Offline

Tampa, Florida USA
Salute Herr Mac,
Hey maybe you should write a tutorial on that also. I'd be interested and I bet a few more would be. Whats this switch that you mentioned for running two computers with one keyboard, monitor, mouse?

#686283 - 08/06/01 05:09 AM Re: This place has become quiet....  
Dumbo Offline
Dumbo  Offline

Titletown USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Hentzau:
Whats this switch that you mentioned for running two computers with one keyboard, monitor, mouse?

Salute, Hentzau!

It's called a KVM switch. Two cables will run from the switchbox into the monitor hook-ups on each computer. Then, my monitor, keyboard, and mouse will plug into the switchbox. It's an automatic switch, which means that it will recognize which computer I'm using without my having to turn any knobs.

It's as simple as that. I have to buy a second set of speakers for the new computer, but that's all.

I just figured that the computer we've got now is absolutely fine for my wife's and kids' needs--i.e., web access, a little word processing, and some kids' games. I'm the one who needs the extra speed, the RAM, and the hard-drive space. However, I don't want nor do I need TWO WHOLE COMPUTER SET-UPS!!! This was the perfect solution for me--and it's completely expandable and upgradeable.

Hope that helps!

------------------
LW_Herr Mac
Member of the Lone Wulffe Squadron
http://www.LoneWulffe.com

Dumbo
pilot

Intel Core i7-6700 processor 3.4 Ghz
Asus Strix GeForce GTX960 4GB graphics card
Kingston 240GB SSD hard drive
Gigabyte Z170X GAMING 3 mobo
Cougar RS 650 watt power supply
Kingston 8GB PC4-2133 desktop RAM
Windows 10 Premium 64 OEI
24" Dell LCD monitor
CH Fighterstick/ProPedals
TrackIR 5-Pro
#686284 - 08/06/01 06:18 AM Re: This place has become quiet....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think many of the newcomers have been put off by the whole fiasco that went down here before, and the WOH people are reluctant to post here because of solidarity with those who might have been banned. I read the forum quite a bit, but the lack of interesting topics lately are the main reason I don`t post more....

#686285 - 08/06/01 11:47 AM Re: This place has become quiet....  
JAS Gripen Offline
JAS Gripen  Offline

Suomi Finland
~~\S/~~ Hentzau

Hype is hype, but from the leaked reports I expect the IL-2 AI to be above average. It remains to be seen whether the positive reports about AI's capabilities are due to good programming or the testers inexperience with their mounts coupled to the more realistic&restricting view system available in IL-2. Remember, it was only after playing RB for a while that the AI became a bunch of clay pigeons. And of course they managed to destroy RB AI's sense of self-preservation in the transition from 1.55 to superpatch...but I digress/digess/degress (damn, where is my dictionary lol)

The "problem" with IL-2 is therefore the campaing. No doubt the root of the "problem" is that IL-2 was originally a much more modest concept - not unlike some more advanced CFS2 mod in scope, really.

They then added new planes, new maps and even new 'airforces', but the scripted campaing stayed. Missions are drawn randomly from a large pool, they have causal consistencies and ground damage is persistent from one mission to the next, but...

BUT...

You know, even if we dismiss replayability issues I must say that I do have a problem with scripted missions. They may have random events (25% chance 2 LaGGs appear here, 33% and they appear there instead) and all sort of gimmicks, but every time I fly a scripted mission I feel I'm battling the mission designer, not the enemy.

When I see 2 planes low..."Gee, the designer has made a trap", is my instinctive thought. The beauty of RB2's approach was that anything could and did happen spontaneously.

In short, no matter how pretty the transvestite is it just *isn't* the same...

Oh, make no mistake: I acquire my copy of IL-2 even if I have to lie and murder my way to a copy , but it won't break RB2's record on HD time unless I too totally assimilate myself into the multiplayers' clan.

-It's the campaign engine, silly!-
#686286 - 08/06/01 05:22 PM Re: This place has become quiet....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gripen, you hit the nail on the head first time.
If the MMp of IL2 is not up to the same level as RB2, then it will surely die. No matter how good it may be elsewhere.
Couldn't agree more with you

#686287 - 08/06/01 07:29 PM Re: This place has become quiet....  
Hentzau Offline
Hentzau  Offline

Tampa, Florida USA
I doubt IL-2 would die Blackadder even if its MMP isn't as good as RB3D, it just won't appeal to us RB guys as much. We are a small group compared to the numbers that fly ww2 planes. The rest of the masses haven't even played RB3D so IL-2 multiplay just needs to be better than the Zone which shouldn't be too big a task.

Thanks for the replies Gripen and Herr Mac. Glad to know about those KVM switches.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.