Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#685206 - 12/30/04 02:56 PM Joystick padlock programming (tips).  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

St.Charles, Missouri U.S.A.
Hi Folks,

If you have a joystick that allows you to program keystrokes to the buttons, then you might consider assigning a few padlocking commands to be right at your hand. \:\)

In SDOE the padlock command is "F1", and this keystroke toggles the padlock view on and off (a required press for each).

On my Logitech Wingman joystick I have Button 5 (which is close at my thumb's reach) assigned for this Padlock on and off toggle.

Now once the Padlock view is on, you'll need to select the Target type you wish it to survey. My preference is to assign two other joystick buttons for this:

The "N" key allows one to lock onto the next enemy target (the closest to you), and I've assigned this to Button 3 on my joystick.

By depressing the "Alt" and "T" keys simultaneously, you can lock onto the closest friendly 'target' (I've choosen Button 4 on my Logitech for this........helps avoid formation collisions sometimes). ;\)

Ok, so with the Padlock toggle close at hand on my joystick, I can turn it on quickly, and then select the target type I want to lock onto by depressing the corresponding 'enemy' or 'friendly' button. If I want to exit the Padlock quickly, I just depress Button 5 to toggle it off, then if I want to resume my lock onto target again a quick toggle press back "on" gets me there..........this way you don't get target fixated, and loose SA and spatial awareness. \:\)

The last command I use in my Padlock regime (but haven't assigned to the joystick) is keystroke "T". which allows one to 'scroll' through the selected target types presently choosen by your padlock (friendly or enemy).

I know many of you SDOE/FS-WWI flyers probably already have joystick's programmed similar to this, but for those who don't, it might really help to set something up like this for quick padlocking in a dogfight.

The object is to be able to switch on and off quickly while in a tight turning battle, so that you can preserve your SA, as well as re-aquire your target quickly............I really think it helps!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#685207 - 12/31/04 11:47 AM Re: Joystick padlock programming (tips).  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

hi! ty for the good tips. \:\)

btw..Do you know how to allow for mouse view while in the cockpit?

ac

#685208 - 12/31/04 05:04 PM Re: Joystick padlock programming (tips).  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

In your keyboard.inp file(which is NOT the one in your Fighter Squadron Folder if you have your patch is installed, unless you specified it to be there. It will be in your patch folder, ususally C:\SDOE Patch 1.6.0.x) look for these lines:
;inpViewPanXAnalog = MouseAxisX
;inpViewPanYAnalog = MouseAxisY

remove the ; in front of both lines. now you should be able to pan in the cockpit with the mouse, as well as being able to pan aroudnt he plane in F2 mode.

\:\)

#685209 - 01/01/05 01:56 AM Re: Joystick padlock programming (tips).  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

S!alute V67th_HBomb,
I gave it a try, may be padlock is best 4killin!. \:D
thanks \:\)
ac

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.