Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#679599 - 01/08/06 11:41 PM F/A-18 Operation Iraqi Freedom  
Wad Cutter Offline
Wad Cutter  Offline

Pacifica, Calif.
Does any one know if F/A-18 Operation Iraqi Freedom has been re-released? I know this is a old flight som. A friend of mine said he said a add at a Target store and it looked like a brand new program. Does any one have any information this? Thanks

Wad Cutter
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#679600 - 01/09/06 10:15 AM Re: F/A-18 Operation Iraqi Freedom  
Bars Offline
Bars  Offline

Today i fly a La-5F!
AFAIK no.

"Therefore, in Korea, we did not view the Americans as enemies, but only as opponents. Our motto in the air was 'Competition - with whomever.'"
#679601 - 01/10/06 03:47 PM Re: F/A-18 Operation Iraqi Freedom  
Red Scorpion Offline
Red Scorpion  Offline

Switzerland
I thin F/A-18 Operation Iraqi Freedom is a "modified" Version of F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter and F/A-18 Hornet Korea.

It depends what you expect from a simulation like this. Please note that I'm a big F/A-18 fan and very satisfied with this sim. The graphics are absolutely not on time but I can fly my favourite jet. That's why I love it!

I think the English PDF-Handbook is also very good and explains all the details about the plane and the sim. There are also approx. 50 learning videos on the game disc who are teaching you a lot. These videos are based on the old sim Hornet Korea but all the changes regarding OIF are mentioned.

I also use the included mission editor to create my very own missions and training missions.

Sorry for my English, I live in Switzerland.

#679602 - 01/11/06 12:03 AM Re: F/A-18 Operation Iraqi Freedom  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Eh, I'll be back tonight for some clarifications. \:\)

It always warms my heart to see signs of life in here. \:\)

And to see Jon still lurking. \:D

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#679603 - 01/11/06 07:41 AM Re: F/A-18 Operation Iraqi Freedom  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Quote:
Originally posted by Red Scorpion:
I thin F/A-18 Operation Iraqi Freedom is a "modified" Version of F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter and F/A-18 Hornet Korea.
Yup, OIF is the latest US release of "F/A-18 Korea", as stated on the box...

"The award-wining F/A-18 Korea moves to the latest war in Iraq."

There's a newer European version of OIF called Operation Desert Storm (ODS), published by GMX Media...

http://www.gmxmedia.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=49

I tried the ODS demo. Although I didn't understand the German menus, I had no problem getting around it and playing as the demo looked to be exactly the same as the OIF demo, just with another name and in another language.

I and many others generically call the F/A-18 Korea series "Hornet Korea" or "HK". I guess because the first of the series was called Hornet X.0, and then F/A-18 Korea.

I'll spare you guys the details yet again (I have so many posts about it in here already), but OIF improves the series in some areas while it downgrades it in others, IMO. The most noticeable downgrade is the 3D cockpit implementation IMO, which is enough to keep me from playing it, although I still play OIF's predecessor, PSF.

Quote:
It depends what you expect from a simulation like this.
What I truly expected in OIF was an improvement to PSF/Korea Gold. I was very disappointed, but your mileage may vary. Some seem to be happy with OIF.

Quote:
Please note that I'm a big F/A-18 fan and very satisfied with this sim. The graphics are absolutely not on time but I can fly my favourite jet. That's why I love it!
I too am a VERY big fan of HK, up until OIF. PSF is still an enjoyable sim, IMO. I especially enjoy the simple and always on mission recorder/playback system.

Quote:
I think the English PDF-Handbook is also very good and explains all the details about the plane and the sim.
A big thumbs up to Graphsim for providing a wonderful Manual (and that includes OIF). Since I play PSF, I use the F/A-18 Korea Manual which, like the OIF Manual, is very nicely done for a PDF Manual, IMO. Clean white pages and clear uncluttered illustrations make for a wonderful PDF black and white printout! The PDF Manual shipped with PSF is crap by comparison IMO, but the Korea Manual is a perfect replacement for playing PSF since it's the exact same sim!

Quote:
There are also approx. 50 learning videos on the game disc who are teaching you a lot. These videos are based on the old sim Hornet Korea but all the changes regarding OIF are mentioned.
Whoa, there! What in the heck are you talking about?! \:\) This comment really got my attention!

So you have an OIF CD with the training videos included??? The ones which look like this?...

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002219#000000
(first couple of pics)

I thought the videos were integral with the earlier HK "Classroom". My OIF CD has no such videos nor classroom (another BIG gripe I have with OIF vs. PSF). Is your OIF a non-US version? I'd really like to know more about this.

GSC should have included the Classroom with OIF as they did with PSF, along with playback tapes of properly completed training missions. With PSF you get the videos and corresponding training missions, but no playback tapes. With OIF you only get the training missions. Neither provide you with playbacks of the training missions (which would be a great help IMO and very easy for GSC to do).

Quote:
I also use the included mission editor to create my very own missions and training missions.
Very cool indeed.

Quote:
Sorry for my English, I live in Switzerland.
You're perfectly clear to me.

--

Mark

The sun is in the east
#679604 - 01/11/06 08:36 AM Re: F/A-18 Operation Iraqi Freedom  
Red Scorpion Offline
Red Scorpion  Offline

Switzerland
The videos on my disc are exactly the same as you showed in one of your previous posts. It seems that the videos are exactly the same as the Hornet Korea videos. Only in case some keyboard commands changed, they made a small note under the icon.

Please note that I use the german version. In Germany and Switzerland, they call the sim "F/A-18 Operation Desert Storm". I don't know why they had to change the name.

#679605 - 01/11/06 09:21 AM Re: F/A-18 Operation Iraqi Freedom  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Quote:
The videos on my disc are exactly the same as you showed in one of your previous posts. It seems that the videos are exactly the same as the Hornet Korea videos. Only in case some keyboard commands changed, they made a small note under the icon.
So you even have the chalkboard in OIF for accessing the videos? Very interesting!

Quote:
Please note that I use the german version. In Germany and Switzerland, they call the sim "F/A-18 Operation Desert Storm". I don't know why they had to change the name.
Political correctness?

Anyway, I'm finally getting the scoop on ODS! \:\)

Thanks, man! Couple of questions for you if you don't mind...

1. OIF did not include PSF's joystick hat panning in the 3D pit, only Alt + mouse view for Track IR and snap views. Do you pan the pit with your hat? Do you even have this option?

2. In OIF, you can zoom the cockpit all the way out (like the pic inside of the box cover), but if you do a look-down (for example), you lose the zoom factor (reverts back to up-close). Is this zoom factor saved in ODS?

Note: Snap views and look-down views make no sense in a 3D-only pit, IMO. But that's how OIF is.

Thanks for any info you can give me about ODS. I'm both surprised and disappointed that OIF was never patched to at least get the videos, since ODS has them. No matter to me personally as I have them already with PSF. But still...
--

Mark

The sun is in the east
#679606 - 01/11/06 12:51 PM Re: F/A-18 Operation Iraqi Freedom  
Red Scorpion Offline
Red Scorpion  Offline

Switzerland
I will try to answer your questions tomorrow because I am at work now. You will hear from me.

#679607 - 01/12/06 08:26 AM Re: F/A-18 Operation Iraqi Freedom  
Red Scorpion Offline
Red Scorpion  Offline

Switzerland
F/A-18 Operation Desert Storm (German Version) has exactly the same problems with the view as you wrote in your previous post.

Please not that I also play another F/A-18 sim calles "F/A-18 Super Hornet". Do you know this simulator too?

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.