Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#679577 - 11/22/05 09:56 PM F/A 18 PSF  
Low&Slow Offline
Low&Slow  Offline

Retired
Just got this and was happy to see it`s really my old friend F-18 Korea dressed up in a new box. How I enjoyed flying around Pearl Harbor in the training missions

Anyone know where the version # for this re-issue is located in the Game ?

Is it patched to the last F-18 Korea version, which I think was 2.xx something...

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#679578 - 11/25/05 08:15 AM Re: F/A 18 PSF  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Low&Slow, I don't know how to check PSF's version number and I've never heard of any PSF patch. And the only mods I know of that's 100% compatible with PSF is Pretzel's stuff...

http://www.fa-18hornet.com/psf_oif.htm

You want to make sure you get Korea.dat and 14 TGA files including 5 cloud files. Simply replace the original files.

And that Crowded House mission is pretty cool too.

I decided to move on and even promised someone my printed manuals and CD. Then at the last minute I changed my mind (just couldn't do it) so to keep my word, I re-printed everything and gave away my backup copy (CD jewel case still in shrink-wrap).

I just can't let this one go, not until another Hornet sim comes along with a mission recorder like HK. I mostly play TAW and Strike Fighters now but I also still play PSF because I really enjoy this sim.

Not to beat on OIF anymore, but I REALLY wish Graphsim would update this sim, even if just a little bit at a time.
--

Mark

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#679579 - 11/30/05 08:07 PM Re: F/A 18 PSF  
Low&Slow Offline
Low&Slow  Offline

Retired
Thanks anyway Mark. I do know from long ago they issued a 1.1 beta patch, later a 2.xx one as well. I guess I`ll just give them a call, use to be a nice lady worked there that was on top of the F/A -18 games.

Too bad these were never updated, I still think it ( F/A-18 Korea ) was in some ways better then the original F4.

#679580 - 12/05/05 06:42 PM Re: F/A 18 PSF  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Low&Slow, let us know what you find. BTW, is the lady's name Amy?

Anyway, PSF was my first real flight sim (IMO), coming from JetFighter IV (mid-'03). The PSF cockpit intrigued me by comparison, but outside graphics were unbearable and I quickly uninstalled it. Later I read that the F/A-18 Korea Manual was pretty good so I downloaded it from Grapsim's website and printed it for at least some interesting reading, even if I wasn't going to play the sim.

Well, the manual prompted me to reinstall the game and I then decided that graphics were not all that important to me in a flight sim. Heck, if I could get the sound working I'd be playing Super EF2000 today and we're talking 640x480 non-accelerated graphics! I also occasionally have a little fun with A-10 Cuba but I have to admit, that sim pushes my limits of acceptable graphics today.

As I began to dig into PSF, the features really won me over, especially the mission recorder. As you already know it's very easy to use, always turned on (you decide AFTER each mission to save to tape), and playback is full-screen and full resolution. PERFECT! It means that much to me to be able to stay focused in the cockpit during a mission, not worrying about missing any cool outside action as I can later watch the entire mission as many times as I want and from a wide variety of views. I had similar enjoyment with the original Need for Speeds (assuming the playback feature remains today).

I once looked up everything I could possibly find regarding Hornet Korea and PSF, including reading this message board MANY times over, which covers the time period even before PSF was released. I don't remember ever seeing any information about a patch specifically for PSF. I also don't remember any patch on Xicat's website which once supported PSF, even with a dedicated message board.

It's a shame too because there are some ugly warts in this game, like the forest of trees that occasionally pop up at 40k'+ feet. Makes no sense to me at all for this not to have been corrected.
--

Mark

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.