Rate This Thread
Hop To
#679550 - 09/09/05 10:59 AM Farewell old friend  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Time to finally retire PSF as my go-to flight sim. Actually, I'm giving my CD and printed Manuals to a friend who wants to get started flight simming (starting with the training videos, as I did). Not trying to be too dramatic here, but those familiar with my many long-winded posts on this and other boards know that I've taken a real liking to PSF over the past couple of years. It was my first real sim, IMO.

Unfortunately, a new computer is no longer a priority being that I'm having to buy so much stuff for our first house (i.e. lawn equipment). Home Depot, Lowes, Costco, and Wal-mart are making a killing off me right now! Anyway, I thought I'd have to put off any of the newer flight sims until I get a new computer. But that's not really the case.

I've figured out how to get a smooth F4:AF and SF:P1 on my aging rig using a dedicated streamlined XP partition (versus ME, which I thought would be less demanding on my older 1.7Ghz / 512MB SDRAM / 9600SE). XP is working better for me than ME ever did (imagine that), and disabling Trees in AF and Mirrors in SF made a HUGE difference in my FPS.

But the main reason I'm letting sims like PSF, USAF, and EF2000 go is because IMO they have no future. As time goes by, they'll just become even more frustrating with no new features, fixes, nor updates to support current hardware. Falcon and Strike Fighters are currently being improved upon (just look at the upcoming F4:AF patch \:\) ) and have extremely active comminutes. Since I have no prayer of running Lock On (plus add-ons) and since I never came across copies of sims like Jane's F/A-18 and F-22 TAW (semi-active sims currently on death row), F4:AF and SF will be the sims I'll be learning and playing for now on (a lite one and a hard one for good measure).

Besides, while it's no match for PSF's Mission Recorder, Falcon's ACMI is kinda neat once you learn how to use it (especially with the subtle AF improvements). And I do love being able to put the camera almost ANYWHERE to review the action. \:\)

If Graphsim releases a new Hornet Korea, I'll be back. \:\)

I'll get the lights.
--

Mark

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#679551 - 09/12/05 08:26 AM Re: Farewell old friend  
Mr B Offline
Mr B  Offline

Hey Mark,

Can't say I blame you. I've wandered away from HK/PSF as well. In fact, I've also wandered away from simming a fair bit too. I'm currently studying networking, and I find whenever I sit in front of the computer I always end up doing something related to that \:\) .

I recently got AF too, and I quite like it. Good to hear it runs well on your rig. The older style graphics may not look as pretty as Lock On's but at least they're "backwards compatible" to a degree \:\) .

Anyway, I guess I'll see you and any other PSF refugees on other boards.

I'll let myself out.

Cheers

Mr B

#679552 - 09/22/05 02:54 AM Re: Farewell old friend  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Nooooo! Don't slack off on flight sims! Go jump out of another airplane to get your head on straight, B! \:D

Edit: Man, there's an echo in here here here here.
--

Mark

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#679553 - 09/24/05 09:58 AM Re: Farewell old friend  
Mr B Offline
Mr B  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MGonzales:
Nooooo! Don't slack off on flight sims! Go jump out of another airplane to get your head on straight, B! \:D
LOL \:D

I do try and squeeze in a bit of practice here and there so I don't get rusty. That, and it is kind of relaxing to fly around and, well, blow stuff up \:D .

Cheers

Mr B

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.