Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#679542 - 08/22/05 08:24 AM We need new F/a-18 sim from graphsim  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Psf has 4 years, Oif/Ods was big disappointing Do you have info about new projects from graphsim???

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#679543 - 08/22/05 11:29 PM Re: We need new F/a-18 sim from graphsim  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Quote:
Originally posted by Polish glider:
The Psf has 4 years, Oif/Ods was big disappointing Do you have info about new projects from graphsim???
I've come to accept that PSF + Pretzel's add-ons (present and hopefully future) is most likely the best we'll ever see from the Hornet Korea series. Maybe if Jon and Gabe and the other early HK developers (look at the PSF credits) were to rejoin Trey at Graphsim and make a REAL upgrade to this sim! \:\)

But if HK is milked for yet another release, I expect it'll be even worse than the last one! \:\( And it's not like Graphsim has been in a big hurry to fix OIF/ODS (i.e. cockpit optical zoom factor still not saved)!

The best we can hope for IMO, at least with HK, is that Graphsim goes belly up or completely loses interest in HK and allows Pretzel to release EXE mods for PSF. Or better yet, provide him (or the community) with the means (i.e. tools and information) for making substantial mods.

My guess is that GSC flight sim development (not publishing) is over and we'll just have to enjoy PSF as-is or move on. I can accept PSF the way it is except that I'd like to see more theaters besides Hawaii and Korea. I don't believe Pretzel ever got his Persian Gulf theater to work properly in PSF. \:\( It would be awesome if could figure it out and one day move on to a new Alaskan theater (a wish item of his, I believe)! \:\)

Here's hoping, because PSF is still my favorite. And being that my time for flight simming is currently so limited, my ONLY! \:\)
--

Mark

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#679544 - 08/23/05 05:07 AM Re: We need new F/a-18 sim from graphsim  
pharoah1 Offline
pharoah1  Offline

Unknown
Psf is your favorite????????????!

You need to get out more, psf is ok, but i enjoy TAW and EECH MUCH better! PSF is so limited compared to TAW and EECH. This game needs SERIOUS(and i mean SERIOUS) modification. Is there anyone working on modding this game, or has everyone given up? I hope not, because psf has potential, it just needs more detailed mission briefings and more theaters. Oh yeah, the sound effects suck bigtime! You get hit by a missle and you get a quiet thud and the burner effects are TERRIBLE!

#679545 - 08/23/05 09:14 AM Re: We need new F/a-18 sim from graphsim  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fans of F-22taw creates mod for their sim, but they have source code.Im new in this forum but I think that PSF has big potential -maybe using terrain from Ods/Oif its quite good to new campaign or mod -its only ideas.
Anyway thanks for answer.

#679546 - 08/23/05 04:27 PM Re: We need new F/a-18 sim from graphsim  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
pharoah1, PSF is my favorite flight sim for several reasons...

1. PSF was still available in stores (i.e. CompUSA) when I started flight simming in mid-'03. Unfortunately, I've not come across a copy of TAW yet.

2. PSF features one of my favorite planes, the F/A-18C! I watched one fly over my house just yesterday (usually they fly in pairs) and I'm looking forward to the Blue Angels show later this year.

3. Carrier Ops.

4. Graphics (dated but sharp, IMO)...
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002219#000000

5. Very low hardware requirements. In addition to buying a new cutting-edge desktop, I'm also about to purchase a very cheap (sub-$500.00) laptop for traveling which should still run PSF beautifully.

6. Now here's a BIG one, and it's a feature that's hard to come by in a flight sim…

…a Mission Recorder!

IMO, there are two things that stand out about PSF's mission recorder / playback system versus some of the others I've tried:

- It's always on (you decide to save a playback AFTER the mission, not before). And even though the recorder is always on, frame rates are never affected. Tape size is really small too.

- Replays display at game resolution (1024 x 768). Jane's USAF (for example) allows up to 1600 x 1200 game resolution but replays are limited to 800 x 600 and with screen clutter.

As much as I enjoy flying a mission in PSF, I equally enjoy watching a full-screen high-res replay of the entire mission from any view or angle I choose, including from within the cockpit or from the object I've locked on to (i.e. plane or SAM site). I also enjoy watching other people's replays and have learned from them (i.e. learned that you can padlock an incoming missile).

Sometimes I re-watch my mission while panning the 3D cockpit just to see what was going on around me from the pilot's POV. Or I'll choose an external view and elevate it a few thousand feet to see where a missile or enemy came from. Or, if I had a great dogfight, I'll save it and watch it from the enemy's plane.

Watching a replay of your Carrier landing is also fun, especially from the LSO's POV, and also while dynamically changing the time-of-day during the replay.

There's a lot about PSF that makes it FUN to me and the Replay feature is at the top of my list! \:D

F4:AF is my high-maintenance mistress though, when I have time for her. \:\) I really wish Falcon had such a replay feature to watch what others are doing in the cockpit.

Polish glider, Pretzel made a relatively simple mod by enhancing the cloud TGA files. Such a simple mod makes a BIG difference to me (see my link above for cloud screenshots). Imagine if he could increase the number of cloud location points or trees and buildings (located in the EXE, I believe).

He's done many other things too (i.e. created a Persian Gulf theater for Korea Gold [doesn't work properly in PSF]). He's still here in the forum so I guess, like myself, he's still interested in HK. I only wish Graphsim would give him some help and the "OK" to take this sim further. They don't seem to be very interested in HK anymore so why not turn it over to someone who is (within reason)? \:\)

And if I shouldn't try to put the burden of an improved PSF on the shoulders of only one guy, then my greatest wish is for Graphsim to re-release PSF (not OIF/ODS) with a more open Architecture for the PSF community (all seven of us?) to mod. At LEAST make the sound bites easily replaceable!
--

Mark

The sun is in the east
#679547 - 08/23/05 05:33 PM Re: We need new F/a-18 sim from graphsim  
Huey52 Offline
Hotshot
Huey52  Offline
Hotshot

New England
I too could never understand why Graphsim didn't continue to improve upon their flagship Hornet Korea instead of letting a third party re-release it with minimal if any improvement.
Given the success they've had teaming with Lead Pursuit on F4 AF one could hope that the same or similar teaming could resurrect this classic (far more than the underwhelming OIF).
Actually the last time I got a note from Trey Smith was soon after OIF's release. He always plays it close to the vest, but his tone was that he wasn't through with the genre.
Jon Blum, consummate GSC graphic artist, disaffiliated and moved to the Northwest a number of years ago. Last time we corresponded he was contemplating a significant MSFS add-on. Of course with today's virtual/remote development environment there's no reason he couldn't be 'recalled to service.'
Idle thoughts, but nice ones.

#679548 - 08/23/05 05:58 PM Re: We need new F/a-18 sim from graphsim  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Looking at this old CombatSim "F/A 18 Hornet: Korea" review, the future of this sim once looked so promising!... \:\(

http://www.combatsim.com/memb123/archive/htm/htm_arc2/fa18_kor.htm
--

Mark

The sun is in the east

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.