Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#679413 - 02/20/05 08:17 PM Who's a good PSF pilot?  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Well, not me. I'd love to watch some mission recordings from more experienced PSF pilots, preferably playing the harder stock missions. Maybe I can learn something from them. \:\) So if you have any that you'd like to share, please e-mail them to me at markgonzales at comcast dot net.

BTW, I found a couple of websites with Korea mission playback downloads but I couldn't get them to work properly in PSF. \:\(
--

Thanks,
Mark

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#679414 - 02/20/05 11:08 PM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mark if you're desperate you can try them out on HK demo . I reckon they should work. Only problem is where would you find that demo \:D

kake

#679415 - 02/21/05 12:11 AM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I did try using all three demos (Hornet 3.0, Korea, Korea Gold) and none of them worked. The tape file would load, give weird graphics, and then shut down.

It was interesting that Graphsim included training playbacks with one of the demos, Hornet 3.0 I believe. Maybe this was before the training videos, I dunno. But it seemed like a good idea anyway, and maybe they should have done this with OIF in lieu of the videos. Or better yet, provide both.
--

Mark

The sun is in the east
#679416 - 02/21/05 12:37 AM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  
Bars Offline
Bars  Offline

Today i fly a La-5F!
You can take Hornet Korea from http://www.the-underdogs.org ;\) About 10Mb in size.

"Therefore, in Korea, we did not view the Americans as enemies, but only as opponents. Our motto in the air was 'Competition - with whomever.'"
#679417 - 02/21/05 10:26 AM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Bars:
You can take Hornet Korea from http://www.the-underdogs.org ;\) About 10Mb in size.
wow never say never \:D

#679418 - 02/21/05 11:12 AM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  
Bars Offline
Bars  Offline

Today i fly a La-5F!
Quote:
Originally posted by kake:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bars:
wow never say never \:D
And this is full game btw \:\)

"Therefore, in Korea, we did not view the Americans as enemies, but only as opponents. Our motto in the air was 'Competition - with whomever.'"
#679419 - 02/21/05 01:59 PM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Bars, thanks for the link. I wasn't sure how legal this site was so I stayed silent about it. Oh heck, I already own a newer better version of the exact same game so I went ahead and gave it a shot. \:\)

I first tried Masstadon's replays...
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Stadium/7540/
(choose Replays).

Only two are for Korea \:\( and only one of those links still work (bottom link). No joy, something about an incompatible version.

The other couple of links I have are now broken. \:\( If I remember correctly, they were more of the same anyway (i.e. replays of fastest speed, highest altitude, etc.). What I'm looking for is tapes of someone beating some of the stock PSF missions, preferably on at least medium (5) difficulty.

Well, I messed around with Korea for a little while and now I see what Mr. B is playing. No textures, yuck! It was still interesting to note the subtle differences versus PSF.

So if just for textures, I'd prefer watching complete PSF mission replays. No one has sent me any yet but here's hoping...

Edit: I found this...

http://simulazioni2.interfree.it/links/FAReplays.shtml

...but I have no idea what these file extension are: hqx, sit. Mac files maybe?
--

Thanks anyway,
Mark

The sun is in the east
#679420 - 02/22/05 02:14 AM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mark, I might have 1-2yr old missions saved somewhere on my disk. they're not very difficult one i think i'll send you in mail tonight. I forgot what this whole discussion was about :p

#679421 - 02/22/05 02:52 AM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Replay tapes. \:\)

I've got more missions than I know what to do with. I'm looking for replay tapes (recorded missions) of the stock missions.
--

Mark

The sun is in the east
#679422 - 02/22/05 03:10 AM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  
Mr B Offline
Mr B  Offline

I haven't sent you any replays because I'm not a good HK pilot, I'm a missile sponge \:D .

Dodging air to air missiles in HK is difficult because the non-textured smoke is almost indistinguishable from the sky until just before it hits. It's easier to spot SAMs, but only if they're below you and contrasted against the ground ;\) .

Cheers

Mr B

#679423 - 02/22/05 03:32 AM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

mr. B in other post i asked you where in oz you're from \:D care to answer ? and about spotting missiles i've always used zooming tool in PSF

#679424 - 02/22/05 03:42 AM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  
Mr B Offline
Mr B  Offline

Sorry kake missed your post mate, I'm from Perth \:D .

Does anyone know HK/PSF have a missile padlock mode? I'm a bit rusty so I can't remember.

Cheers

Mr B

#679425 - 02/22/05 04:07 AM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
kake, I got your e-mail with your replays. Thanks man! This is the first time I've played someone else's replays that actually worked. \:\)

I'm going to brew a pot of coffee later and sit back and relax while I watch someone else (that would be you) be a "missile sponge". \:D

Mr. B, I find that the textureless Korea is actually SLOWER on my machine than PSF with textures. I guess that's due to having no 3D acceleration support. Objects (i.e. tress) seem to popup slowly in Korea, whereas in PSF the screen "redraw" is almost always instantaneous (and with more trees).

And if you missed the other post kake was talking about, I'm still a fan of Men at Work. \:\) I'm 38, BTW.
--

Mark

The sun is in the east
#679426 - 02/22/05 04:36 AM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

g'day!
for nearest threat try ctrl-4 it padlocks missiles as well then do zoom control with ctrl -/+ when you see white trail growing then release chaffs/flares depending on aa/ga attack missile.

Mark i might recheck my replays as well because i don't remember them well.

----------------------
just realized pvt messaging is off \:\( . Mr B email me at flyingeagleau AT yahoo DOT com DOT au i might help your graphics forever \:D

#679427 - 02/23/05 02:03 AM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  
Mr B Offline
Mr B  Offline

Email sent kake.

I'm going to have to map that function to my joystick somehow. Of course, it still won't save me from those AAA sites, but they're easier to avoid.

Cheers

Mr B

#679428 - 02/23/05 12:15 PM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Quote:
for nearest threat try ctrl-4 it padlocks missiles...
Well, I'll be damn. \:\) I wouldn't have thought this was possible until I noticed that you had padlocked a missile in one of your replays.

Sure enough, it's mentioned in the Korea Manual, p.28...

==========
PADLOCK MODE

The virtual cockpit has basically two padlock modes you can use. Wingman padlock and missile, target and zone padlock. The padlock view will center the object of interest in the center of the virtual cockpit view and will track that object as it moves. The padlock view can be "re-centered" to a forward view at anytime by pressing 4. A second press of 4 will resume the last padlock mode that was used. Press Shift 4, to padlock your wingman.

Pressing Ctrl 4, will padlock the first of:
- The closet inbound missile
- The current locked radar/FLIR target
- The aircraft closest to the center of the view that is within visual range (5NM)
==========

Being that I use the Hornet 3.0 Command Keyboard Reference, I didn't know about Ctrl 4. While incomplete and sometimes wrong, the pathetic PSF Reference from Xicat does list Ctrl 4 as "Padlock aircraft tracked by A/A radar".

It's a shame we don't have a complete single-page PDF Command Keyboard Reference for Korea/PSF. I guess I need to re-read the Manual to see what other key-ins I don't know about. \:\(

Ctrl 4 sure is an important one!
--

Mark

The sun is in the east
#679429 - 02/24/05 11:08 AM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

it sure is handy control dodging missles! Mark i usually refer HK manual more than any. Though hornet-3 is good in giving strategies etc but for controls stick to HK's manual. Best way to remember them is do a sortie focussing only on one set of commands for eg. one sortie only focussed on navigation commands, ground attack commands, wingman commands and so on.
I hope Mr. B's graphics are looking good now ;\)

I think we all need to goto russia... have a look at this training center. very impressive

http://lockon.ru/index.php?end_pos=12&scr=default&lang=en

a hornet
http://lockon.ru/img/technology/FA-18-wing-mech-01.jpg

by looking at these graphics its REALLY shame that they didn't make FA-18 flyable in lockon \:\(

http://lockon.ru/index.php?scr=list&end_pos=10&lang=en&page=3

kake

#679430 - 02/24/05 11:54 AM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  
Mr B Offline
Mr B  Offline

Quote:
I hope Mr. B's graphics are looking good now
Indeed they are good sir ;\) .

That training centre is fantastic! I think Mark also found one in the US that uses PSF (correct me if I'm wrong Mark). It'd be great to go visit one of those someday.

Cheers

Mr B

#679431 - 02/24/05 02:56 PM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
kake, the F/A-18 Korea Manual is the one that I use...
http://www.graphsim.com/pub/Art/Korea.PDF

I created a thread regarding the HK Manuals about a year ago and you contributed some good info... \:\)
http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=59;t=000305

The problem is that the only nice single-page printable PDF Command Keyboard Reference that I know of is one for Hornet 3.0 as seen on this thread...
http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=59;t=000342

The Hornet in Lock On looks incredible! I remember much speculation that the Hornet might be made a flyable in Lock On because the AI model looked so detailed. But then others said that it wasn't going to happen because it would take a lot of work to model A/G radar (and possibly other stuff).

There's a poll right now on the ED board and the Hornet is beating some helicopter as a most wanted flyable…
http://forum.lockon.ru/viewtopic.php?t=3334&sid=c4f5521f78bfe887b7c60ebe1675d4fc

Mr. B, I think you're thinking about Pretzel and the F/A-18 simulators he's told us about and played...
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=59;t=000360

Also check out his comments about it from 12/03...
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=59;t=000280#000002

Oh, and if you haven't already, don't forget to get Pretzel's stuff for PSF...
http://www.fa-18hornet.com/psf_oif.htm
--

Mark

The sun is in the east
#679432 - 02/27/05 12:00 PM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  
Mr B Offline
Mr B  Offline

Ah yes, that was the simulator I was thinking of, thanks Mark!

BTW - If you like "Men at Work", be sure to check out "Land Down Under" for a piece of Australiana ;\) .

Cheers

Mr B

#679433 - 02/27/05 03:52 PM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou

The sun is in the east
#679434 - 02/28/05 03:50 AM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  
Mr B Offline
Mr B  Offline

Hmmm, maybe, but if you've got "Contraband" (I noticed in the other thread you did) then it should be on there as "Down Under". People can't seem to decide whether it's "Down Under" or "Land Down Under" \:D . Some of their renditions of it suck though, but on a "Best of..." CD it should be OK.

Cheers

Mr B

#679435 - 02/28/05 06:06 AM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Sorry Mr. B, I sometimes miss the obvious. \:\)

Of course I know the Men at Work song! \:\) I bought the "Business As Usual" LP for "Down Under" and "Who Can It Be Now", which were HUGE hits in the US. And then later I remember "Underground" and "Be Good Johnny" getting a fair amount of radio air play, at least in the bayou (Louisiana) where I'm from. My favorite song on that release is "Down By The Sea", which I don't rememeber ever hearing on the radio.

"Business As Usual" (1981) was soon followed up by "Cargo" (1982) which included mega-hits "It's A Mistake" and "Overkill", with "High Wire" and "Dr. Heckyll & Mr. Jive" getting some air play in my neck of the woods. Of course I bought this one too.

These guys were all over MTV in the early years! The "It's A Mistake" video was hilarious. At the end of the video, a General is nervously twitching his hand and, without noticing, accidentally flips open the safety cover on the red button. Then when he goes to put out his cigar, he misses the ashtray and of course hits the button! Oops! LOL! \:D

I bought "Contraband" only to hear the "hits" from their third and final release, "Two Hearts" (1984). I didn't know that they even made a third album. The songs aren't bad at all IMO, and I'm surprised that none of them received any air play here. The problem is that half of the band left after the second release, and that was really the end.

From the Contraband liner notes:

"I never even thought, 'Well, we're going to be huge in America,'" says Colin Hay. "I never realized until now that when Americans do get onto something, they don't let go." \:\)

But wait a minute! Why are we even talking about MAW? You guys gave us AC/DC!!! \:D \:D \:D Listening to "Back in Black" over and over on headphones as a teen is probably the main reason I have tinnitus (ringing) in my left ear today!
--

Mark

The sun is in the east
#679436 - 03/01/05 02:57 AM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  
Mr B Offline
Mr B  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MGonzales:
From the Contraband liner notes:

"I never even thought, 'Well, we're going to be huge in America,'" says Colin Hay. "I never realized until now that when Americans do get onto something, they don't let go." \:\)
I suppose that aptly describes your relationship with PSF doesn't it? \:D

Cheers

Mr B

#679437 - 03/02/05 03:51 AM Re: Who's a good PSF pilot?  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr B:
I suppose that aptly describes your relationship with PSF doesn't it? \:D
LOL! \:D Is it THAT obvious?
--

Mark

The sun is in the east
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.