Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#677614 - 04/09/01 09:34 PM Awesome landscapes  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is it just me, or does the Hornet Korea Gold demo have a really cool terrain engine? It looks good, and there are no pauses for loading whatsoever. It may be a little repetitive, but it gives a good sense of speed at all altitudes, and the view distance is reasonably far. The sea textures look a little odd, but they give a great sense of distance and depth. Which is more than I can say for the paltry ocean textures in Flanker 2 and Janes F/A-18, which give you absolutly no idea of high high you are above the sea. I would really love to see this engine developed into the next logical step - a high fidelity Harrier sim!!!

Another neat detail I've noticed: Your aircraft gets buffeted realistically when travelling at high speeds very low across the landscape. I don't believe I've ever seen this modelled in another sim. Now I understand why the real-life Tornado has such thin, small wings and why the crew of the broad-winged F-15E are in for such a rough ride at low altitude!

[This message has been edited by Fishbed77 (edited 04-09-2001).]

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#677615 - 04/09/01 11:50 PM Re: Awesome landscapes  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Yeah, the Beagle's wings were designed for an interceptor/dogfighter, NOT a low-level attack plane. In that respect, the losing F-16E/F was superior. But the Beagle had twin engines and a higher MTOW, and that was probably the deciding factor.
The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#677616 - 04/11/01 01:22 AM Re: Awesome landscapes  
Doogie Offline
Doogie  Offline

NAS Fallon, NV
Quote:
Originally posted by Fishbed77:
The sea textures look a little odd, but they give a great sense of distance and depth. Which is more than I can say for the paltry ocean textures in Flanker 2 and Janes F/A-18, which give you absolutly no idea of high high you are above the sea.

Take it from me, and I'm sure Hornit will back me up, that's the way it is in real life. You have zero sense of altitude above the ocean, particularly on calm days when the ocean is relatively flat. In fact, that has been a causal factor in several mishaps. Pilots lost SA and flew into the water, thinking they were higher than they really were.

To see what I do, got to http://www.navylonghorns.com
#677617 - 04/11/01 03:41 AM Re: Awesome landscapes  
Hornit Offline
Hornit  Offline

Atlanta, GA.
Yes! Its very difficult to tell your altitude unless there are some pretty good size waves just due to the fact that you have no frame of refference to work with...everything looks the same so distance gets hard to judge.

One of the strangest times I recall was a morning launch in the med. The sea was glass smooth, it was almost surreal, the sky and sea looked as one. We talked about it before the launch while doing our preflights. Very beautiful but also deadly....you had the wake to the rear but off the cat it was really weird....like a mirror.

Hornit

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.