Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#675895 - 11/02/05 01:47 AM Operation Flashpoint: Elite Videos  
Uziyahu-IDF Offline
Uziyahu-IDF  Offline

Anybody getting Operation Flashpoint: Elite for the X-Box on November 8th (already out in Europe, out on the 4th in Oz)?

I've rounded up some videos so you can give it a look:

Here is an old ALPHA version trailer of the game:
ftp://www.flashpoint1985.com/xb1985/1985cwf_trailer.wmv (23 Megs)

Here is the Official CodeMasters Trailer for the game:
ftp://downloads.codemasters.com/video/of_elite_trailer_avi.zip

Here is Placebo, the PR guy, beating the "Steal the Car" mission:
http://www.xboxyde.com/news_2169_en.html

...and here showing off game improvements in the "Ground Attack" mission, so it is best appreciated by those who knew the game on PC:
http://www.xboxyde.com/news_2172_en.html
(yes, there ARE lock-on TOW missiles in the game)

Now that OFP finally has mid-game joining it should rock in multiplayer, especially with X-Box Live support.

Israeli Defense Force
"If the war were over tomorrow, Zion is where the party would be."
#675896 - 11/02/05 02:22 AM Re: Operation Flashpoint: Elite Videos  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
Thx for the info... and links...

but what i want to know and see is how you control and order your squad in the Xbox version, since you don't have the F keys to pick the members of your squad.

#675897 - 11/02/05 08:23 AM Re: Operation Flashpoint: Elite Videos  
Alexi_Alx_Anova Offline
Alexi_Alx_Anova  Offline

Frome/Bath UK
WOW! Those movies were AMAZING! How long has the Xbox version been in preperation? Man, they've done soooo much work on updating OFP! Did you see the grass?! Wow! And then there was the grass, did you see that?! Wooopy! Oh, did I mention the grass?

What apart from adding grass is different? Looks like the same headless chicken AI, and John Wayne bow-legged stances. Same trees, same buildings, etc.

Don't get me wrong, OFP was fantastic and revolutionary...at the time. And this is only supposed to be an Xbox version of the game. But in late 2005, all they can do is...grass? Sadly, this tite is sure to be in the bargain basket within a month. After all that work, the return for BIS is likely to be negligable. Sad.

#675898 - 11/02/05 02:11 PM Re: Operation Flashpoint: Elite Videos  
Uziyahu-IDF Offline
Uziyahu-IDF  Offline

You missed the delayed fuse grenades and the leaning in the "Steal the Car" mission. "Headless chicken"? Did you see the hostile hiding behind the tree, crawling for a shot?

You missed the grass and trees that blow under prop-wash and the improved collision detection in the second video.

And OFP's battlefield A.I. is still superior to any other game out there. I think SWAT4's A.I. might be the only thing that compares, but that's only set in confined maps in the context of crimes. (BF2:MC certainly doesn't offer that kind of A.I., nor does Ghost Recon 2.)

Gameplay is what it is about.

Israeli Defense Force
"If the war were over tomorrow, Zion is where the party would be."
#675899 - 11/02/05 03:21 PM Re: Operation Flashpoint: Elite Videos  
akdavis Offline
akdavis  Offline

Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexi_Alx_Anova:
WOW! Those movies were AMAZING! How long has the Xbox version been in preperation? Man, they've done soooo much work on updating OFP! Did you see the grass?! Wow! And then there was the grass, did you see that?! Wooopy! Oh, did I mention the grass?

What apart from adding grass is different? Looks like the same headless chicken AI, and John Wayne bow-legged stances. Same trees, same buildings, etc.

Don't get me wrong, OFP was fantastic and revolutionary...at the time. And this is only supposed to be an Xbox version of the game. But in late 2005, all they can do is...grass? Sadly, this tite is sure to be in the bargain basket within a month. After all that work, the return for BIS is likely to be negligable. Sad.
Not improving the animations was a huge mistake. They are going to get grilled for that, and deservedly so.

I think your other criticism is misplaced considering the size of the environments and the fact that it is on a freaking XBOX, while I can still run my current top-of-the-line comp into the ground with OFP.

--AKD

"I hope and I need." -Oleg Maddox
#675900 - 11/03/05 03:11 AM Re: Operation Flashpoint: Elite Videos  
KSB Offline
KSB  Offline

Colorado
Trees and grass look very nice. That low level vegitation will add some good cover in multiplayer games.

Sound effects and voice acting got a rework, but I'm a bit disapointed that the music wasn't upgraded. Also, reloading is still a bit too fast. Guess America's army has me spoiled in that respect.

I wonder in any changes have been made to the AI. (I.E. Please stop wasting Stingers/Strelas on tanks and jeeps.)

Don't own an X-Box, but I see "Elite" as a nice sneak peak as to what will be in Armed Assault. And of X-Box live players can join in on PC multiplayer games; the more the merrier!

Edit to add: Saw the Helo video. No more high speed bumber car antics with attack choppers, it seems. \:D

You got a lot of nerve insulting The hatta with yo crazy ass cracker comments and yo funky ass witch eye liner that done look like someone threw a sharpie at your eyeballs!" - The Hatta
#675901 - 11/03/05 09:44 AM Re: Operation Flashpoint: Elite Videos  
Alexi_Alx_Anova Offline
Alexi_Alx_Anova  Offline

Frome/Bath UK
I did see the soldier hiding behind the tree. Good. I also saw the soldier running like a turkey, and when he was shot, rather than hittying the dirt or taking cover, he just ran around faster! Bad. Then there were the two guys having a quiet chat near the car after all that shooting. They must be on lithium tablets. Bad.

#675902 - 11/03/05 04:04 PM Re: Operation Flashpoint: Elite Videos  
KSB Offline
KSB  Offline

Colorado
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexi_Alx_Anova:
Then there were the two guys having a quiet chat near the car after all that shooting. They must be on lithium tablets.
"Hey comrade, take a hit off this, you'll kiss Lenin."

Remember: Soldiers don't let soldiers go into combat in safe mode. Just say Nyet!

This is why I never set troops to safe mode in my missions or if I must I use SQS files and triggers. With waypoints, 10 seconds after setting an A-bomb off the troops will stand up and go back to leaning on their rifles. :rolleyes:

I'd rack this one up to bad mission design. A few "Sentry" and "Guard" waypoints would have gone a long way to cranking up the "I" in A.I.

You got a lot of nerve insulting The hatta with yo crazy ass cracker comments and yo funky ass witch eye liner that done look like someone threw a sharpie at your eyeballs!" - The Hatta

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Eagle Cams
by NoFlyBoy. 02/25/24 07:20 PM
For us old farts
by oldgrognard. 02/25/24 02:03 PM
Forty Four Years Ago....
by F4UDash4. 02/23/24 02:40 AM
Live Moon Landing: NOW
by F4UDash4. 02/22/24 10:46 PM
Excalibur
by PanzerMeyer. 02/22/24 07:29 PM
SimHQ Formula 1 Fantasy League
by DBond. 02/21/24 05:48 PM
Brand New, 26 Year Old, House for Sale
by F4UDash4. 02/18/24 11:52 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.