Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#674975 - 10/22/04 08:46 AM Location for OFP2  
Capt Haddock Offline
Capt Haddock  Offline

UK, EU
Just an excuse to get some discussion going on \:D

If you could pick a modern warfare scenario for OFP2, what would you choose?

I'd love to see something involving China. Maybe on the same lines as the original game, with a small Asian country being invaded by then and a western coalition force going to the rescue. Unrealistic as it is, it would be a brilliant "What if" scenario. A nice excuse to see how western forces could do against the mighty Chinese army in a conventional warfare situation.

More ideas?

Il est plus tard que tu ne crois
#674976 - 10/22/04 12:58 PM Re: Location for OFP2  
Dlink Offline
Dlink  Offline

Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Capitaine Haddock:
Just an excuse to get some discussion going on \:D

If you could pick a modern warfare scenario for OFP2, what would you choose?

I'd love to see something involving China. Maybe on the same lines as the original game, with a small Asian country being invaded by then and a western coalition force going to the rescue. Unrealistic as it is, it would be a brilliant "What if" scenario. A nice excuse to see how western forces could do against the mighty Chinese army in a conventional warfare situation.

More ideas?
With the sizes of OFP ( assuming ofp2 will be as big or bigger) maps, I would love to see a top quality Vietnam campaign. I mean flying Hueys into hot LZs, with someon bombing the crap out of the jungle in an F105. That would be sweet.

Favourite Website SNAFU:

Left Side of Website: OFP Editing now belongs to the Codemaster Affiliate Program

Bottom Part of Page: OFP Editing is not affiliated with Codemasters in any way
#674977 - 10/22/04 06:38 PM Re: Location for OFP2  
Bars Offline
Bars  Offline

Today i fly a La-5F!
North Korea Campaign \:\)

"Therefore, in Korea, we did not view the Americans as enemies, but only as opponents. Our motto in the air was 'Competition - with whomever.'"
#674978 - 10/22/04 09:23 PM Re: Location for OFP2  
Capt Haddock Offline
Capt Haddock  Offline

UK, EU
Hey, look what I've found, it's even in the news! \:D

From BBC News:
"Future Flashpoint? How Taiwan could spark a confrontation between superpowers"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/asia_pac/04/taiwan_flashpoint/html/introduction.stm

#674979 - 11/01/04 11:17 PM Re: Location for OFP2  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Guess what I just got in my email?
A Codemasters survey about OFP2!!

Quote:
4) Which of the following Features do you think would be the most interesting/exciting for a First Person Shooter game (0 = least – 4 = most)

Play as the general at a strategic battle level controlling whole armies or zoom into the action and play as a individual soldier, tank or plane and make a difference as a hero unit in the thick of the battle.

Recreation of a real country with recognisable landscapes and buildings. Created from detailed maps and utilising seamless streaming technology giving a huge and realistic gaming environment.

A multi threaded story which has many endings depending on how you play through the game. Save the world from oppression, cower in hiding or become a dictator general ruling with an iron fist.

Experience life as a soldier to it’s fullest. Join a recognised unit. Drill, guard duty, write letters to loved ones. Move through the ranks or to different units and experience different countries, environments and events.

Fully manipulate and destroy environments, buildings can be blasted to dust, landscapes reshaped with craters and forests decimated by fires. Dig trenches, build tunnels, create enforced positions.

Massively Multiplayer war. Take part in World War 3, with the frontline constantly changing in a war which never ends. Move through the ranks, from grunt fighting at the front to general, commanding 1000’s of AI and human players through a strategic map.

Single Player open war. No levels, the battle commences, fight until you die, if you die select a new role. Go anywhere, do anything, see the results, experience the consequences. The end only comes when the enemy is defeated, it could take 5 hours it could take 50, what effect could, you have

6) Which of the following scenarios would you find the most interesting/fun to play for a Operation Flashpoint sequel? (0 = least interesting, 4 most interesting)

As a coalition force fight against resurgent Iraqi forces in the deserts and urban landscapes of Middle East and Iraq to overthrow a new despot who maybe hiding stockpiles of nuclear weapons and has links to terrorist organisations in an attempt to reduce the global threat he represents.

Become a member of a combined forces team sent in to defuse a violent and bloody war in the Congo. Battling rebel factions and drug barons who are using mercenaries in the mountains and jungles of Africa to bring peace to the troubled region.

Experience all out war when the super powers of USA and China collide in an East meets West showdown. Set in potentially the biggest flashpoint in real world international politics, fight to protect the people of Taiwan and their right to democracy. Battle in the diverse environments of Taiwan and surrounding islands against aggressive invaders of the colossal Chinese army in cities, villages, farmland, and forests.

As an American soldier, join forces with NATO to overthrow a dictator responsible for the genocide of his own people in a fierce air and land conflict in the Balkans. Join forces with other nations to destroy his military force and rescue a nation under persecution.

7) Which of the following World War 3 alternate history themes/plots do you find the most interesting for a game other than Flashpoint. (0 = least – 4 = most)

Cold War Erupts It’s 1980 and the Cold War turns hot as as the Soviet Union tries to sweep through Europe before America’s material advantages can bring the Cold War to a close. American tactics and technology must defeat the brute force of numbers and Soviet steel, in a desperate struggle to save Europe from a totalitarian fate.

Post Holocaust 2010. Europe in ruins, France has the largest agricultural resources left and Britain and Germany invading to try and seize territory. Player has to conquer the other European states to rule the continent!

American Civil War 2 – 2010. Base in America, West Coast Alliance fighting off an invading force lead by the Army of NY, again for resource and land. Aim of game: reunite the United States by becoming the largest force and conquering the country.

America v Japan 2100. A rearmed Japan has ambitions to be an Empire again. A decadent and divided America becomes alarmed at the growth of Japanese influence in the Pacific and a small scale naval incident leads to an all out war. Following a limited nuclear exchange, the Japanese invade the West Coast from their forward bases in Cuba. Defend or attack the USA, your choice! Futuristic weaponry, familiar locations for battles.

Europe v America 2070. A fully United European Superstate and the USA clash in Africa over control of the oil and gem resources. Each controls part of the continent and has large forces available. The aim is to invade quickly and seize control before the other side can reinforce. Satellite weapons, lasers, fast moving open combat.

Allies v Russia 1945. Germany has surrendered, Stalin has seized Berlin. Instead of backing off, the Allies unite with what is left of Hitlers shattered war machine and head for Moscow. World War 3 has begun. Starts with all the units in historically accurate positions. Allies have access to the German secret weapons, V3’s etc and the Russians have their “supertank” divisions…
So, have they been working on this game since Resistance in '02 or not???

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#674980 - 11/02/04 03:32 PM Re: Location for OFP2  
Capt Haddock Offline
Capt Haddock  Offline

UK, EU
Blimey! Bang on target then \:\)

There are some interesting proposals there, specially regarding the suggestion of a dynamic campaign. Could be interesting, specially after playing CTI missions.

I'm personally a bit worried they are even considering scenarios in 100 years from now. That would only open the floodgates of silliness and spoil the whole realism of the game :rolleyes:

#674981 - 11/02/04 03:39 PM Re: Location for OFP2  
Capt Haddock Offline
Capt Haddock  Offline

UK, EU
Quote:
Originally posted by jedimaster:
So, have they been working on this game since Resistance in '02 or not???
Well, considering that OFP is a serious resource hog, I bet the Bohemia guys have been banging their heads on the Xbox wall for a very long time with little success. So I guess the answer is probalby "not".

My bet is that the only work done on OFP2 so far is the engine face-lift used for VBS1.

#674982 - 11/02/04 09:04 PM Re: Location for OFP2  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Personally I like the International Coalition-Crisis Response Scenario. Kind of beefed up UN/Partnership for Peace Involvement including missions against key persons (grabs, perhabs assasinations).

#674983 - 11/03/04 01:55 AM Re: Location for OFP2  
geg_thomas Offline
geg_thomas  Offline

Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, ...
Multinational force in East Timor as it escalates into a war with Indonesia...with their Pakistani allies..

#674984 - 11/03/04 03:09 AM Re: Location for OFP2  
Carnifex Offline
Carnifex  Offline

Vancouver, WA
I don't think they can be very far along with OFP2 if they haven't even decided what the gameplay/setting of the game should be!

And if I had my choice of the perfect OFP2 game it would be a modern warfare version of WWII Online. So basically this option:
Quote:
Massively Multiplayer war. Take part in World War 3, with the frontline constantly changing in a war which never ends. Move through the ranks, from grunt fighting at the front to general, commanding 1000’s of AI and human players through a strategic map.
But place it in the European Theater, NATO/USSR WW3 scenario and I'd play it for years! \:D

#674985 - 11/03/04 01:51 PM Re: Location for OFP2  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I think choosing "American Civil War 2" is a great way to kill the game!
DON'T DO IT BIS!!!

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#674986 - 11/03/04 04:16 PM Re: Location for OFP2  
James McKenzie-Smith Offline
James McKenzie-Smith  Offline

Vancouver, BC, Canada
For those not paying very much attention, re. the future scenarios, notice the line:

"7) Which of the following World War 3 alternate history themes/plots do you find the most interesting for a game other than Flashpoint. (0 = least – 4 = most)"

#674987 - 11/08/04 07:52 AM Re: Location for OFP2  
Xander Fulton_dup1 Offline
Xander Fulton_dup1  Offline

Quote:

Single Player open war. No levels, the battle commences, fight until you die, if you die select a new role. Go anywhere, do anything, see the results, experience the consequences. The end only comes when the enemy is defeated, it could take 5 hours it could take 50, what effect could, you have

Please, please, PLEASE let it be massively multiplayer!!

PLEASE!!!

(World War 3 sucks, though. Massively multiplayer 1950s Korean War or Vietnam would be awesome. Korea, preferably.)

#674988 - 11/09/04 02:27 AM Re: Location for OFP2  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
I think if they make a dynamic/open campaign combined with personal stats (kind of like Ghost Recon/Rainbow 6). Now hear me out cause I know a few of you are probably thinking that would just make it an RPG. I just want to see if this would appeal to people...

When you start a campaign, you're fresh out of Basic, with only minimal skills. When you start, chances are that you're going to be stuck with basic patrolls and holding base perrimeters.
Now it may not always be standing around waiting to develop your skills; I know that would drive most of you (and me) mad. This is where the randomness of the dynamic campaign comes in...The base might be attacked, or an earlier patrol might get ambushed and so they pull you off of guard duty to go pull them out...you just never know.
As the game goes on, you develop more skills, and you start to get into the s**t. If you die, you start over as 'green' right where you left off. As you advance in skills (and rank), you start getting more control over soldiers and planning, until you make squad leader. Of course you might excell through the ranks like mad, if you're squad leaders keep getting waxed.

Also, I think they should incorperate a 'stress factor', where the calmer you are, the faster you reload, better you aim, and faster descisions are made(for AI units). So when bullets fly inches from youre head, or a grenade goes off a few feet from you, you start to breath/shake heavily, and reloading and aiming is affected. I'm sure something as simple as reloading can be a problem when youre shaking like crazy. As you get more accustomed to war...you aren't affected as bad.

Now this would probably only work if done just right, and I know some hardcore fans would probably say to hell with it; but I think this would up the fun and realism factor, and make you not charge into battle carelessly because you know if you die you start all over again from the bottom.

Oh, and a campaign set in Afghanistan would be sweet...

Sorry for the rambling

#674989 - 11/10/04 12:46 AM Re: Location for OFP2  
Carnifex Offline
Carnifex  Offline

Vancouver, WA
Quote:
I think they should incorperate a 'stress factor', where the calmer you are, the faster you reload, better you aim, and faster descisions are made(for AI units).
Maybe a USB enabled heartrate monitor. ;\)

#674990 - 11/10/04 08:43 AM Re: Location for OFP2  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
hehe..that would be sweet! or a suit that shocks you when you get shot...like in laser tag, but more brutal! hehe

#674991 - 11/15/04 01:16 PM Re: Location for OFP2  
Dlink Offline
Dlink  Offline

Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by jedimaster:
I think choosing "American Civil War 2" is a great way to kill the game!
DON'T DO IT BIS!!!

The Jedi Master
I agree with you, but isn't that just sad. I think the reason it would kill it is because a portion of US citizens would be considered the 'bad' guys in the game. Throughout games it is rare to see the US as bad guys, it is usually the russians, terrorists (whatever that is) or other such Arab folks.

Favourite Website SNAFU:

Left Side of Website: OFP Editing now belongs to the Codemaster Affiliate Program

Bottom Part of Page: OFP Editing is not affiliated with Codemasters in any way
#674992 - 11/16/04 02:31 PM Re: Location for OFP2  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
No, I think it would kill it because the idea is stupid. I mean, the only East vs West conflicts there have ever been were between rap artists, and I can't see them ruling the country!!

The Jedi Master

#674993 - 11/17/04 01:12 AM Re: Location for OFP2  
Carnifex Offline
Carnifex  Offline

Vancouver, WA
Well looking at election results it should really be the East and West Coast's vs. the centeral states. ;\)

#674994 - 11/17/04 09:49 PM Re: Location for OFP2  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice idea Capitaine Haddock , but it would be more interesting If it was the other way around. Don't you think.

Rep55k
"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.