Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#667399 - 12/29/01 07:45 AM IS IT WORTH?  
KILO Offline
KILO  Offline

Iowa
Is operation Flashpoint worth 40 bucks?
I would really like to play online but some people say its hard with 56k, what do you guys think?

#667400 - 12/29/01 07:54 AM Re: IS IT WORTH?  
Shockwave Offline
Shockwave  Offline

Fuquay Varina, NC
Yes it is worth $40. Can't vouch for online play yet, haven't tried it (also have broadband so I can't help you with the 56K question...)

#667401 - 12/29/01 07:56 AM Re: IS IT WORTH?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Truth is its worth 5 times as much, there will not be a game like it for a very long time. And $40 is very cheap for a game of this magnetude.

#667402 - 12/29/01 09:20 AM Re: IS IT WORTH?  
BIGSHaW Offline
BIGSHaW  Offline

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
KILO, Im 100% sure that your will find it worth it, even with Single Player
And don't forget, there are patches coming out from Bohema, so cheer up, u might end up getting less than 50 ping in the future

------------------
I've never seen skies that look this realistic! Except for real skies, of course. Real skies are totally real looking.
---Kirill Sukhoveyev

http://www.60thgmrd.freeservers.com/

Marines don't die, they just go to hell and regroup!
---U.S. Marine Corps.
#667403 - 12/29/01 09:37 AM Re: IS IT WORTH?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is hella worth it. If you buy one game this year, make it OFP. Hell, I think ill buy a 2nd copy .

#667404 - 12/29/01 10:20 AM Re: IS IT WORTH?  
flyd Offline
flyd  Offline

Phoenix, AZ, USA
$40 bucks....HELL NO....my friend has the game, i run it at my house cracked. Its ok, but i personally would never buy it. The helo and tank parts are completely ARCADE, and its an ok shooter. If you want a good infantry sim, go with Ghost Recon. As for multiplayer, yeah, its gonna take a lot of bandwidth, was playin with my friend over IP, we both have DSL, and it was still laggy (though that was his fault, he only has 96MB of RAM, the game dont run good at his house in single player lol).......

#667405 - 12/29/01 10:48 AM Re: IS IT WORTH?  
BIGSHaW Offline
BIGSHaW  Offline

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Excuse me FlyDude, but GhostRecon, is not even close with OFP, in term of simulating freedom of action and space limitations.

Secondly, OFP is no a shooter, its a tactical simulation of infatry grunt, and yes u can't run with speeds of 100 km/h and jump 5 meters up.

Thirdly, OFP has a developers' devotion and creativity in it, whereas GR is just a unsignificant upgrade for Roguer Spear.

And lastly, IMO if one up to "as close as it gets" experince I would stick with OFP.

My 2 cents

------------------
I've never seen skies that look this realistic! Except for real skies, of course. Real skies are totally real looking.
---Kirill Sukhoveyev

http://www.60thgmrd.freeservers.com/

Marines don't die, they just go to hell and regroup!
---U.S. Marine Corps.
#667406 - 12/29/01 02:02 PM Re: IS IT WORTH?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

OFP is more then worth it

You might want to try and get the gold edition OFP, that has the Red Hammer add-on pack with it

I shouldn't worry about playing Online with 56k. I am doing the same and I don't get any more lag then what I do in any other game (Which includes Flights Sims, Rogue Spear etc) and that is very little. Don't listen to FLYdude, I have found the exact opposite to what he has said. And as it is stated, the game is an Infantry Sim. But the Tanks and aircraft give you a level of freedom unheard of in other games, and they are allot of fun. Besides if you want a tank sim, go buy a tank sim, if you want a flight sim, go buy a flight Sim. If you want them all in one package get OFP

Another point, I don't see the use of comparing OFP to Ghost Recon. Why? Well one is designed to simulate all out war (OFP) and one is more toward terrorism and small battles. And one is the beginning of a whole new chapter in Game Play technology (OFP), one is a tarted up version of old technologies

To play OFP you may want to have a fairly powerful rig, mine is OK for OFP, but any lower and it might not be worth it.
I am running: P3 650 Mhz
328 mb ram
ATi Rage 128 Xpert 2000 32MB

and I can get it to run quite well. It would also be good if your Graphics Card uses Glide. My ATi don't support it so I am stuck with DirectX, my friend has OFP and his Voodoo Glides, and it looks far better then mine

Nonetheless OFP is a great game, and has allot of potential in it, as soon as BIS release the SDK allot of good Mods will be coming out. And BIS have worked (and are still working) hard with patches, etc. to improve the game. You won't be disappointed!

[This message has been edited by BUTCHER (edited 12-29-2001).]

#667407 - 12/29/01 03:30 PM Re: IS IT WORTH?  
schurem Offline
schurem  Offline

Nijmegen, NL, Europe
about the glide remark:

i bought an ATI radeon 8500 last week and shure as hell whoops the voodoo5 i had before in flashpoint, which is a gret game by the way. i haven't tried over the internet, but in lan play it's DA BOMB!

------------------
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings,
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
#667408 - 12/29/01 04:17 PM Re: IS IT WORTH?  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
this game is worth all of that $40. I haven't played a flight sim since I purchased OFP. This is a ground sim so the helo and plane remark should go out the window. BIS just threw those in to add to the game.

As far as GR, go ahead and read these 2 threads in the GR forum. 1 I started and another is from a review by SimHQ. OFP is hands above GR. Detail might be better in GR but that is due to the map size. OFP has a huge map compared to GR so they couldn't put in as much detail.

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/Forum75/HTML/000063.html

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/Forum75/HTML/000053.html

As far as online play, I feel this is OFP's selling point. Flydude's friend must have line issues because our squad has been playing this sim online direct IP w/ cable and have had as many as 9 guys on at once. One saw lag with the BETA patches.

Just look at the forum activity of the 2 rooms. OFP is solely for 1 game and has almost 6200 posts where all the Rainbow series games together don't even equal 450.

The add ons that BIS and all the 3rd party groups out there are top notch. Not sure what GR add ons are. We have a few guys in our squad that have both and most feel OFP is the better purchase if you had to buy 1 game. Look for GR in the bargain bin

If your looking for a specops game than GR is more your cup of tea, if your looking for a soldier sim that go w/ OFP.

Kilo, come to the dark side and buy OFP

------------------
TG out
Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full

Gone, but not forgotten

Wings of Fury

my photos

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
#667409 - 12/30/01 10:52 AM Re: IS IT WORTH?  
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Sim  Offline
Hotshot

Go buy it, play it, enjoy it

#667410 - 12/30/01 11:39 AM Re: IS IT WORTH?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Go with the gold edition, that way you will have to download a lot of patches (only one).

#667411 - 12/30/01 12:19 PM Re: IS IT WORTH?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes buy it ........its the best game best value most fun.
This for me is what Ive always wanted in a fps/tactical game.
Bliss

#667412 - 12/31/01 03:44 AM Re: IS IT WORTH?  
flyd Offline
flyd  Offline

Phoenix, AZ, USA
ok.....so....it depends on what you like.
its an ok shooter (opinion), it does allow you to do a lot more stuff then just a shooter game (Humvees understeer severly).
and the islands are big and you can go anywhere (Humvee fell of a mountain and broke a tree, then i drove away in it).

But a simulation, IT IS NOT. it does attempt to simulate warfare conditions, and squad tactics. its ok at that. but the helos and tanks r completely ARCADE. also, i noticed some recoil.....but......um.....lets just say.....not sufficent amounts, it screams NOVALOGIC!!!! all over it.

so, in conclusion , if you want to play a GAME where you can do anything...sure buy it.......if you want a tactical squad simulation.....get Ghost Recon (which does carry some elements from Rogue Spear.....and that IS A GOOD THING )........one more thing KILO. dont ask is a game good on a message board about that game, cause only ppl that like that game come here (except me lol)

#667413 - 12/31/01 04:01 AM Re: IS IT WORTH?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well after waiting years for a game that combines flight as well as ground forces, I thought OFP would be the game to end my search. I was wrong.. While the Infantry side of it is pretty good, the Vehicle and Airframe side is seriously seriously lacking. But there is no other game out there that gives the option to do all of it. And that point there makes it worth $40 bucks for those who want everything in one game.

After helping the makers of Steel Beasts since its inception, I can honestly say they have done a tremendous job recreating modern Main Battle Tanks and armor tactics. So what OFP lacks in vehicle opions Steel beasts makes up for it. Ofp has the advantage over SB because it has airframes and playable infantry.

Just depends on what you want for your money. If you want it all, OFP cant be beat and wont be beat for a very long time. If you only want one part of a sim to be great, then there are other choices. But remember, OFP is not a sim, its a game and does a fine job providing all around fun. $25-$30 bucks maybe, but $40-$45 bucks maybe a little bit much. Still, I enjoy the game and would TRULY enjoy it if I could find some good players which in my opinion makes almost any game great...

SSG P
3rd Inf Div

#667414 - 12/31/01 04:44 AM Re: IS IT WORTH?  
KILO Offline
KILO  Offline

Iowa
Alright. You guys convinced me, i'l but it in a week or so, problably. What are some features of the game? Is it like Grand Theft Auto3 where you can go around killing and stealing? How many people play it and where do you guys meet up?

#667415 - 12/31/01 06:27 AM Re: IS IT WORTH?  
Lucky Offline
Old Guy
Lucky  Offline
Old Guy

Upstate N.Y.
Hey flydude. Let's see you take ammo off a dead comrade or, if the mission calls for taking out a tank, In GR, If the guy with the ATA dies, so does your mission. IN OFP, If the guy with the LAW dies I just go over and pick up the LAW and continue the mission. Keep GR and I'll play OFP.

[This message has been edited by Lucky (edited 12-31-2001).]

Core i9 10900k @ 5.0GHz
Corsair H115i CPU cooler
Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula
Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 OC 8GB DDR6
32GB Team T-Force Night Hawk DDR4 3200,
Corsair HX850i 850W PSU
TIR5 With Trackclip Pro
Win 10 x64
#667416 - 12/31/01 06:46 AM Re: IS IT WORTH?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ghost Recon is full of bugs, memory leaks, and has bad ai. Special Forces? Heh, the guys in GR are more like Special Olympics.

[This message has been edited by The Whistler (edited 12-31-2001).]

#667417 - 12/31/01 06:51 AM Re: IS IT WORTH?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

BTW, OFP isn't a flight sim, and isn't a tank sim. If anybody thinks Bohemia was trying to make a super realistic tank or plane sim, you are seriously missing the point of the game. It is an Infantry simulator, the helos and armour is there because it is an integral part of the modern battlefield, and the game would be incomplete without them.

------------------
-Peter
"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried."
AIM: Whistler6969
Email/MSN: bf109_afrikakorps@hotmail.com

#667418 - 12/31/01 07:46 AM Re: IS IT WORTH?  
flyd Offline
flyd  Offline

Phoenix, AZ, USA
hey, i dont have anythin against OFP. i just dont like arcade games. Kilo, make sure u stop by here and tell us your opinion on the game when u get it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Incredible historical ironies
by PanzerMeyer. 04/03/24 01:56 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.