Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#665721 - 10/23/01 05:58 PM I am so tired of AI.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was playing a mission. T-80s were assaulting the village. I was defending the village. I had a LAW and thought I could pick away at one of the tanks.

I am was waiting to shoot the T-80 through the window, and was then going to fall back to reload.

The tank drives past me at 40 miles an hour and I didn't even get the shot off. What does the tank do? It backs up, I turn around with my M-16 in my hands and I see it put one round into my head.

I play another mission, and I am a sniper, I am hiding half way in a bush, and I am ready to snipe the first target that I need to kill.

What happens? I am half way in a bush and the AI unit when zoomed in is too small to have him zeroed (so I can't even make that sniper shot). He takes off it rifle, and one shot....Bang through my head.

The single mission where I take the Convoy then the village, I have everything destroyed, but the villiage and the T-80 (Or is it 72)

I start sniping the infantry, but what happens after I lay my second guy down, I get hit my the T-80 with one shot. Ok, if they weren't buttoned up, I could take that, but they are buttoned up. They shouldn't be able to see me at the crest of a hill. What is this?

This is the one thing that drives me up the wall about this game. The AI is just too good. It has way too good of a shot, and it spots you in ways that normally shouldn't be able to spot you.

I could take getting killed if I was dealing with suppressive fire, but it is only one shot that kills me.

Tim

#665722 - 10/23/01 06:19 PM Re: I am so tired of AI.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am using 1.27 too.

Tim

#665723 - 10/23/01 06:23 PM Re: I am so tired of AI.  
HarryM Offline
Hotshot
HarryM  Offline
Hotshot

Paso Robles, CA USA
It depends hugely on the AI skill setting for the enemy.

I played the single player Sniper mission last night that comes with the game.

First you exit the forest and hide by the bushes by the road. There are two gomers walking around on the left. BANG BANG. Both down. A URAL starts rolling from the left, then stops and in short order I've killed a whole squad. Go up the hill through the forest and overlook the target. Go to the right corner of the forest and can see the 3 Spetnaz officers. BANG BANG BANG. Two dead but the other one manages to get to cover. I decide to change positions and run the short distance back to the forest. RAT TAT TAT. The third Spetnaz had nailed me with a three round burst a scant 10 yards from the forest. The other gomers couldn't seem to touch me.

#665724 - 10/23/01 06:31 PM Re: I am so tired of AI.  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
True, some missions are just badly created, with way to high skill settings.

I'm currently playing Cumboys (oh, what a nick...) excellent 10th Aircav mission, where you have to raid a village. There's a heavy MG there, and as soon as I get kneeling...even behind a bush...I have a clean headshot either from the 12.7 or some AK74 Superman.

But if I play my self made custom missions, it works out nicely.

#665725 - 10/23/01 06:32 PM Re: I am so tired of AI.  
HarryM Offline
Hotshot
HarryM  Offline
Hotshot

Paso Robles, CA USA
1.27 also.

There seems to be alot of complaints about the super-accurate AI going on on the other OFP boards, hopefully BIS will fine-tune this for 1.30. It would be nice at least to see a few "ranging shots" fired before you get dropped, especially if the enemy is using an assault rifle.

I would personally like to see smarter but less accurate AI. By smarter I mean that they get to cover faster instead of just milling around in a mob or dropping in the open and let you plink away. They should sprint to the nearest cover and then drop.

It would also be cool to see more strategic thinking going on. If I am a sniper in a forest it would be cool to see the enemy set up a kind of skirmish line to flush me out of hiding or spray the general area of forest I'm hiding in with a heavy MG or BMP fire, things like that would be very cool.

#665726 - 10/23/01 07:05 PM Re: I am so tired of AI.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, the did flank me once, but that was the demo version.

My complaint is just that the AI (Especially the tanks) can spot you, way too quickly.....

Tim

#665727 - 10/23/01 07:09 PM Re: I am so tired of AI.  
HarryM Offline
Hotshot
HarryM  Offline
Hotshot

Paso Robles, CA USA
Agreed, it should be difficult for a tank to spot you, especially if your're not in front of him.

#665728 - 10/23/01 07:13 PM Re: I am so tired of AI.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Harry, don't forget, I was in a building too.....

Tim

#665729 - 10/23/01 07:45 PM Re: I am so tired of AI.  
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Sim  Offline
Hotshot

Using 1.20 and playing on veteran mode.
On that same mission to take out spetznash guys I take them out and AI doesn't even react , depends on distance they are away from you. Some will just drop and look around. Some of them will just keep standing (near tank) and others will charge your position (near shrika). I recommend lay down right when you exit forest and snipe them from there.

Al does need to be little more human. Some of them are too stupid. Exemple: 2 men walking. I kill one of them. Other drop on the ground and start lookin around. Then stands up and puts his weapon on the back and keeps on walking...

my 2c

#665730 - 10/23/01 07:49 PM Re: I am so tired of AI.  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
man, this has been my biggest complaint. That mission where you take out the convoy and then take the city...

I would be taken out in the bushes w/ a head shot yet my sniper rifle couldn't get it done.

I would beg for this to be fixed in the next patch. I like the idea of having the smarter AI. I was doing one of the campaign missions last night were 3 "ninja dudes" go in, take out the 4 missle launcher guys and blow up the tank park and then retreat.

I start shooting the 3 guys and the machine gunner is still standing there until I start on him... what is that, can't he hear his budes screaming from my head shots
Love the game, just one of my biggest issues!

------------------
TG out
Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full

Gone, but not forgotten

Wings of Fury

my photos

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
#665731 - 10/23/01 09:18 PM Re: I am so tired of AI.  
Tracer[formerly of CS] Offline
Tracer[formerly of CS]  Offline

BIS have made the bushes *more* transparent to the AI -so spotting you is easier for them, as people complained about the AI not being *able* to see you as you lay down in them
There has to be an opposite reaction eh?

I replayed one of the campaign missions where you had to infiltrate the enemy camp?
Anyway i lost my entire unit as we were cut down by an enemy that saw us through TREE'S!(this was a forrest of them)
All i could see was tracer coming through the tops of the tree's and my unit's didn't even return fire!!
I didn't even see one of them before i died.

I uninstalled OFP and repatched it back to 1.20. To hell with that!

Tracer

------------------
"Flying is the second hardest thing known to man.........the first is landing!"

#665732 - 10/23/01 09:19 PM Re: I am so tired of AI.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Man, I am getting more sick of this. I haven't beaten the game, because I have to put it up for weeks out of frustration.

On Interdiction Mission.

I have gone both ways down the hill.

I have shot/have not shot then RPG troops on the hill.

I have gone down the center.

I have waited for it to be just me and the lone tank.

Yet 9 out of 10 times I get hit by the tank that drives around the corner. I was laying on the hill waiting for the troops in the UAZ to leave and it gets me from over a click away. #$*&$(

I get hit by one lone troop that that is at the sand bags at the front of the line. I have been in a bush and gotten taken out.

When are those idiots going to play the game and figure it is time to tone down the AI. Especially the tank?

I can't beat the interdiction stage.....

Tim

#665733 - 10/23/01 09:47 PM Re: I am so tired of AI.  

Quote:
Originally posted by Skoold:
When are those idiots going to play the game and figure it is time to tone down the AI. Especially the tank?

I can't beat the interdiction stage.....

Tim

It's **NOT** BIS fault mate!
Blame all the punter's screaming at them that it wasn't realistic enough!!

I finished it before the patches came out -i own the UK version, the first released and i thoroughly enjoyed it!
Now it's just plain stupid....go over to the http://www.flashpoint1985.com form and you'll get a whole load of abuse back if you complain....some people have influenced the game and BI FAR too much over there and are in danger of breaking the fine balance of gameplay and sheer luck in completing a mission -never mind a campaign!!

Tracer

------------------

#665734 - 10/23/01 11:55 PM Re: I am so tired of AI.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just find it funny that the ones who they are listening to are Quakers and such, who have no clue as to what realism is.

The biggest complainers are the Sim and Military fans. I think we know a little more about tactics and such.

My brother is in the Military.

I have played Paint ball (and they did get lucky, but never one shot at 50 yards to the head.

I have a 300 book library and about half are military.

I used to play Ditch'em and Capture the flag with my church. It was at night. So I learned to sneak around a lot with them.

I have sat in a number of tanks at the military post here in Phoenix, and know you can't see much when you button up. I have sat in a T-50 here in Phoenix at the meseum and know you can't see much from a Russian tank.

I also know that you can see how little you can see, when you button up and don't cheat with 3rd person in OPF.

#665735 - 10/24/01 01:35 AM Re: I am so tired of AI.  
Paul Morrison Offline
Veteran
Paul Morrison  Offline
Veteran

Canada
OT: What is Ditch 'em?

The word "Martyr" is just a fancy name for "crappy fighter".
#665736 - 10/24/01 02:18 AM Re: I am so tired of AI.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is like tag. You go to a big park with a bunch of people (We would have 50 or so).

Two people are it. They give you 5 minutes to take off. Then they would chase you. As they caught you, you teamed up against the ones not it.

We would hide in bushes, crawl, hide in trees you name it, we did it to not get caught.

Last two caught are the ones who are it for the next game. For us, it took about 2-3 hours per a game.

Tim

#665737 - 10/24/01 03:39 AM Re: I am so tired of AI.  
Paul Morrison Offline
Veteran
Paul Morrison  Offline
Veteran

Canada
That sounds like a lot of fun... gotta try that.

The word "Martyr" is just a fancy name for "crappy fighter".
#665738 - 10/24/01 01:46 PM Re: I am so tired of AI.  

Good way to get fit too!

Quote:
I just find it funny that the ones who they are listening to are Quakers and such, who have no clue as to what realism is.

It sounds like those are the biggest majority that play OFP in America then?

The bigger the voice the bigger the influence?
Us simmers are but a small percentage of the games market -that's not were the biggest money comes from....as much as we would like it to be
So BI are listening to the "majority" and trying to keep a mass market happy....the result is Patch 1.27....which is pretty broken as far as i am concerned!
I want my tracer then i'll be happy.

Tracer

------------------

#665739 - 10/24/01 07:13 PM Re: I am so tired of AI.  
FalconCAF Offline
FalconCAF  Offline

Dayton, OH USA
Tracer,

Is that why I can't use my axis's on my stick to move a grunt around because of people in the official bb of OPFLASH? I'm disabled and can't use my left arm at all. I can't use a mouse in a game because its diffcult for me to move it quickly enough. I thought I could at least be a gunner, driver or commander in a tank or in vulcan. But when I tried the vulcan mission, I found out that I can't use my stick axis's to move the fugging gun. The hat moved it. I got a very small thumb reach in my right hand. I got very, very, VERY frustrated and angry.

I wanted to take it back but my buds talk me into keep it. They said they can make missions for me. That's ok but I want to play the campiagn. The only way I could figure out to do that is to wait until the game designers release the SDK tools to make 3d models and make a "Battle Wheelchair" with realistic capabilites like a mounted M60 with 200 rounds and an swivel mounted M16.

*Sigh* sorry for the long post. Just had to vent.

Falcon

[This message has been edited by FalconCAF (edited 10-24-2001).]

#665740 - 10/24/01 09:51 PM Re: I am so tired of AI.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know the feeling. I have a friend who has wrist problems and it is much easier with a joystick for him to play FPS, but he can't many times, because of the lack of Joystick support.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.