Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#661104 - 03/20/01 04:14 PM OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Ojokoltsa Offline
Ojokoltsa  Offline

Check it out here Operation-Flashpoint.de or here http://www.opfhq.cjb.net/ .

-O-

MoBo: MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) | CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K 4x3.40GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 CL8 8GB Kit | GPU: MSI N560GTX Twin Frozr II/OC 1GB DDR5 | SND: AuzenTech X-Meridian 7.1 2G | PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550W | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB ArchLinux | HDD: WD Caviar Green 1000GB (Data) | DVD-RW: Pioneer DVR-218L | Sony Optiarc AD-7240S
#661105 - 03/20/01 06:31 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Softball Offline
Softball  Offline

San Diego, CA, USA
That figures. I see that the OFP demo is out when I get to work. Now for a LONG 8 hours! Can't wait to try it out.

--Softball

--SOFTBALL
--RLGaming Portal

"The tragedy of war is that it uses man's best to do man's worst." - Harry Emerson Fosdick 1933
#661106 - 03/20/01 07:47 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Tusk Offline
Tusk  Offline

Baltimore, Maryland
/rub in on

It'll be worth it!! Softball!

I checked it out briefly and it's pretty unique and fun! Even in (unfinished)demo form. It's a bit sluggish when a lot starts going on my 500 128ram 32GeForce GTS but definately playable! You get to drive a jeep, ride in a truck and attack an enemy squad!
I'm pretty pysched about this title!
/rub in off

[This message has been edited by Tusk (edited March 20, 2001).]

"Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls." - Stirling Moss
#661107 - 03/20/01 09:08 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
My co-workers and I downloaded the demo and sent it to about a dozen other guys in the company. Everyone but me has a 4 meg video card, and it runs well on their machines (except the ground is white.. but it looks like snow so nobody minds).

I have a Radeon in mine so everyone crowded around while I was in a battle.

Let me say this:

I WAS WRONG! Every bad thing I said about this game.. I WAS WRONG!!!!!!! IT F****** ROCKS!!!!! I have not been so lost inside the world of a game since SEAL TEAM. I actually got a rush from playing this game!

GET IT! NOW!

RB

#661108 - 03/20/01 10:37 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Wklink Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Just downloaded it, gonna do a thorough check of the game tonight. I had to quit (wife started bitching) just as I got into and started riding with the LT (freaking LT's, why is he driving?).

It felt pretty damned good, I can't wait to do some serious road marching in this game. I have a lot, I mean a lot of friends that like myself spent a good part of our military lives preparing for this conflict. I am very interested in this game.

------------------
Tom Cofield
Feature Editor, SimHQ.com
Cofster1@SimHQ.com

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#661109 - 03/20/01 11:15 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Softball Offline
Softball  Offline

San Diego, CA, USA

BAD TUSK, BAD!!!!! NOW YOU GOTO YOUR ROOM........AND NO COMPUTER EITHER!!!

I think I am feeling ill,, I need to go home and get some............rest, yea, that's it.

I am gonna leave work a little early today, just had a family emergency....... The dogs ran out of food and water. lol.

I CAN'T WAIT!!! Thanks for sharing Tusk, et al.

--Softball

--SOFTBALL
--RLGaming Portal

"The tragedy of war is that it uses man's best to do man's worst." - Harry Emerson Fosdick 1933
#661110 - 03/21/01 03:05 AM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Spoons Offline
Site Emeritus
Spoons  Offline
Site Emeritus

SimHQ.com
Initial reaction is....I'm impressed; I'm really impressed.

------------------
John Sponauer
Senior Editor (on leave)
SimHQ.com
jsponauer@SimHQ.com

John Sponauer
SimHQ.com
jsponauer@simhq.com
#661111 - 03/21/01 04:08 AM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Pygmy - SimHQ Offline
Pygmy - SimHQ  Offline

San Diego, CA USA
I dig it.

Pete

#661112 - 03/21/01 04:25 AM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
It is far more than I expected. As I have said billions of times, nothing has come close to SEAL TEAM's feeling of actually being there... until now. I can't wait to see the finished product.

There are still some things about this one that bug me.. like parachuting from a dust-off (after the chopper has been shot down) and some strange military slang... but what do you expect from a non-American company? I can get past all that stuff if the game play is as good as the demo.

RB

#661113 - 03/21/01 05:12 AM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Wklink Offline
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
I am pretty impressed myself. I actually enjoy this game so far. The actual 'wargame' part of a field exercise was usually the most exciting-sitting in your foxhole in the middle of the night behind an M-60 (I was the freaking medic and they put me on guard duty with the 60!) knowing that the OPFOR was going to do an infiltration and try to get into your perimeter. I mean, we all knew it was a game but damned it was thrilling to do that. I felt like a kid when we were in that part of an ARTEP.

I miss it somedays-here in REMF (let someone else explain what that means if you don't know-its kinda dirty) land. Being a rear echelon person isn't as much fun as being dirty, but you get home at a decent hour I guess.

This game actually got my blood pumping, like it did almost 10 years ago when I was a corporal myself. I really enjoyed that. It isn't perfect, but it is pretty darned good.

My biggest gripe, the dialogue. Who wrote that? The scene in the back of the Deuce was hilarious-they need to hire a staff sergeant or a SFC to shore that up quick.

------------------
Tom Cofield
Feature Editor, SimHQ.com
Cofster1@SimHQ.com

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#661114 - 03/21/01 07:20 AM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Softball Offline
Softball  Offline

San Diego, CA, USA
Ok, I FINALLY got to mess around with OFP. I LOVE IT!!! This one is gonna be BAD ASS!!! The demo was pretty short, but it gives you a good idea of what the game will be like. I think MP will be a TOTAL BLAST! And a Mission Editor too!!

I agree, the movies in between objectives keeps you informed and adds to the story.
I felt pretty much like the Corporal that you are, only taking/following orders and reporting enemy sightings. I also like the fact that you have to really LOOK for the enemy soldiers to spot them(NO RADAR SCREENS, ). Unless your squad mates spot them first, then they are highlighted with small brackets. At least I think that is what was happening.

I have just a few more comments/questions.

Is there a way to crouch to one knee? I only saw the STAND and PRONE POSITION selection.

Can you carry more than just the M-16 and the LAW? I would pick up the AK-47 and the M-16 would get dropped. I try putting the M-16 on my back and the guy stands up, and am unable to pick up the AK-47. Just wondering.

I am assuming that you are supposed to stay with the LEADER? I basically was following the yellow box on the screen as sort of a Waypoint. Is this the correct method?

Will there be night missions? And if so, will there be NVGs? Were NVGs even around in the 80s? I haven't seen any screen shots of night missions, so I was wondering about that.

On that same note, will there be weather? Snow? Rain? I hope so.

I was hoping that we would get to see some Air Support(In Action) in the demo, but no such luck. No big, at least you get to fly in the Blackhawk, temporarily.

If you like Delta Force, Rainbow 6, Hidden and Dangerous, Battlezone 2, etc.. all in one game, then you will LOVE OFP. This game is DA BOMB!!

--Softball

--SOFTBALL
--RLGaming Portal

#661115 - 03/21/01 08:10 AM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Skywalker Offline
Skywalker  Offline

new york,NY ,USA
woooooooow
So when is coming out?
Multiplayer...
Ive got few Israeli friends who did this for real just few years ago, they will probably kick my ass

#661116 - 03/21/01 08:19 AM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Softball Offline
Softball  Offline

San Diego, CA, USA
The web site says May 2001. So look for it sometime around May.

Multiplayer is gonna be great. You can play with both human and AI controlled troops. Should be a hoot.

--Softball

--SOFTBALL
--RLGaming Portal

#661117 - 03/21/01 08:22 AM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
Some of the dialogue reminds me of that "All your base are belong to us" stuff. You know, that game where the translation to English came out all wrong.

It's funny.. but it is also something that could make a great game into a big joke too.

It's quirky... great.. and then you parachute out of a Blackhawk... and the option is called "eject." Yeah, I can get around it somehow.. but it's just dumb, silly crap.

RB

#661118 - 03/21/01 08:51 AM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
TaLoNN Offline
TaLoNN  Offline

Jacksonville
Thank god for cable modems, 6 minute download!!!

WOW!! The demo is awesome, this is a definate must have when it comes out

------------------
~VIPER OUT

Viper's Flanker Page

Viper's Command and Conquer Red Alert Page

#661119 - 03/21/01 09:17 AM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Weird. Did I download a different demo from everybody else? All I'm seeing is yet another silly shooter.

And really, if y'all are gunna gripe about the dialog, let's talk about those radio comms. With....a....breath...between....every.....word. Oy! My squad's being commanded by James T. Kirk.

------------------
-Mekhazzio Sssth'rhee, Magedragon at large

#661120 - 03/21/01 01:59 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
TaLoNN Offline
TaLoNN  Offline

Jacksonville
I thought it was better than just your normal shooter. You can drive vehicles and the AI is pretty good and one of the coolest scenes is when your in the Blackhawk and the Shilka shoots it down and you have to bail out. BTW, there is going to be multiplay.

------------------
~VIPER OUT

Viper's Flanker Page

Viper's Command and Conquer Red Alert Page

#661121 - 03/21/01 03:04 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Tusk Offline
Tusk  Offline

Baltimore, Maryland
Flashpoint Demo Story (maybe this should be a new thread! I'll leave it to the Moderator)

I got clipped in leg. Wasn't sure since there is no "health bar" or indicator. I was prone and when I tried to get up, I saw red, groaned and fell back down. I get a radio message "2 call for medic at 11 oclock". I call for medic, and crawl towards him. He eventually runs over. After he shuffles off, I can get up!

Cool!

Also, be careful with the jeep. I clipped a tree and broke the windshield! The ultimate would've been having my "leader" yell at me for it! (sigh)

I think what really gets me with this demo/game is I'm not the Hero. The success of the mission doesn't pivot on ME. It's nice to be a part of a bigger picture and still make a difference.

"Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls." - Stirling Moss
#661122 - 03/21/01 04:26 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Spiff Offline
Spiff  Offline

Houston, TX
Hey Mekh... you gotta admit that those squaddies in OFP are a heck of a lot more "artificially intelligent" than the Rainbow 6 goons.

I thought the demo was pretty cool.

Just in front of the second town, there are some ammo crates (by the barbed wire) that have a few extra RPG9 rounds. Pretty cool to run around the buildings and play ambush with the BMP and T-72s, although it usually takes 2-3 RPG hits to knock out a T-72. You can even climb up stairs and shoot out the second and third-story windows. Be careful, though because those '72s aren't afraid to fire their main gun into the same windows. When they do, the whole building facade crumbles, and if the blast doesn't get you, the fall certainly will.

Also, did anyone notice that just about the time the T-72s show up, that an M113 shows up on the opposite side of the town?

The dialogue is a hoot...

"oh" ... "no" ... "one is down"

Of course from the tone of voice, you'd think the next line would be:

"oh" ... "no" ... "my shoelace is untied"

[This message has been edited by Spiff (edited March 21, 2001).]

#661123 - 03/21/01 04:40 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
Wait a sec! Mekh doesn't like something others think is really cool???

Wow... I'm SHOCKED!

RB

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.