Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#661124 - 03/21/01 05:50 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiff:
Hey Mekh... you gotta admit that those squaddies in OFP are a heck of a lot more "artificially intelligent" than the Rainbow 6 goons.

Pretty much everything is I wasn't really impressed by the AI. It was about as typically bad as is expected, but even more so for the AFVs. It seems all the squad navigation was scripted across many discrete waypoints, and -all- the AFV movement was scripted, which would explain why they're so extremely stupid (those BMPs should chew up your squad in that terrain with no trouble)

I like how the T-72s shrug off flank and rear RPG hits...it must just be a 'hitpoint' thing and not taking differential armor into account (but really, even a frontal hit is kind of questionable) I edited the mission file so I started in one, too, and tried driving it around. The M1 GAS with Cyrillic labels is hilarious The target radar and "target-lock" is amusing, too.

All in all, Wargasm was better. At least it admits its just a silly shooter, and sets out to do it decently.

------------------
-Mekhazzio Sssth'rhee, Magedragon at large

#661125 - 03/21/01 06:18 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
Ahhh.. the ever know-it-all Mekh speaks again.

OPFLSH is not supposed to be anything but a game. It never pretends to be realistic. I just think the combat is exciting (Veteran mode is much more satisfying than Cadet).

Also, this is a demo of an incompleted game. So far it is still better than DF, R6, SWAT 3, Spec Ops.. zzzzzzz..

RB

[This message has been edited by Razorback (edited March 21, 2001).]

#661126 - 03/21/01 07:08 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Mekhazzio:
Weird. Did I download a different demo from everybody else? All I'm seeing is yet another silly shooter.

And really, if y'all are gunna gripe about the dialog, let's talk about those radio comms. With....a....breath...between....every.....word. Oy! My squad's being commanded by James T. Kirk.

Wow, My streak is intact. Every Game you dislike I like. Please post in bold if you ever find a sim you like so that way we can all avoid it like rat poison.

Have you ever said a good thing about any game or sim?

#661127 - 03/21/01 08:00 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Spoons Offline
Site Emeritus
Spoons  Offline
Site Emeritus

SimHQ.com
C'mon guys, everyone's got a right to an opinion. Let's not take this thread spiraling down.

------------------
John Sponauer
Senior Editor
SimHQ.com
jsponauer@SimHQ.com

John Sponauer
SimHQ.com
jsponauer@simhq.com
#661128 - 03/21/01 08:24 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Softball Offline
Softball  Offline

San Diego, CA, USA
Well, I have found an answer to one of my questions. I downloaded a 12 minute "In-game" movie, and it has NIGHT MISSIONS!! WITH NVGs! WOO HOO!! Looks pretty dang nice too. I also saw what looked like being able to fly the Russian HIND? OH MAN!! I also got to see 2 of the sniper rifles. I must be dreaming.....

Excuse me, but I need to wipe the drool off of my keyboard and desk.

Hey everyone, if Mekhazzio doesn't like the game, so what. That's his opinion, and he's entitled to it. Mekhazzio's opinion is not going to keep me from playing it. Why do we need to resort to flaming someone because they don't like a certain game? That's what these boards are for, voicing opinions, good or bad. Let's just move on and enjoy OFP for what YOU/WE like it for. Personally, I LOVE the game. Brings back memories of my military days.

--Softball

--SOFTBALL
--RLGaming Portal

"The tragedy of war is that it uses man's best to do man's worst." - Harry Emerson Fosdick 1933
#661129 - 03/21/01 08:24 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Spoons - SimHQ:
C'mon guys, everyone's got a right to an opinion. Let's not take this thread spiraling down.

That's right. His just happens to be wrong.

I know this won't be perfect, but if it's close enough that you can get lost in it, so be it.
The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#661130 - 03/21/01 08:33 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
HarryR Offline
HarryR  Offline

UK
jedimaster
quote:
That's right. His just happens to be wrong.

roflmao..............The comedy force is strong in this one

To..
#661131 - 03/21/01 08:47 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
I don't ever take Mekh's opinions too seriously.. because he is just a very negative person. I'm just pointing out how extremely negative the guy is.. I'm trying to help him come to terms with his evil side.

RB

#661132 - 03/21/01 08:51 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Spiff Offline
Spiff  Offline

Houston, TX
I don't care how evil he is, I want to know how to mod myself into a T-72.

#661133 - 03/21/01 09:02 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I enjoyed the demo a great deal.
I am also an ex cold warrior (infantry 11B)
The terrain reminded me of my units main training area at Ft Hunter Ligget cal. The sunrise made it look astonishinly similar
Far and away better than the deltaforce series, and more akin to rogue spear on a vast scale

Being able to jump in and drive was a hoot, the sounds are flat out excellent. The dialog well, I don't mind it, but real infantry speak is extraordinarily profanity studded.
The lighting and effects are awsome.
This game may change the way we look at tactical shooters. The world has been opened up.
If the multiplayer code is up to snuff, this one may take over the tactical shoter world in a hurry.
Even in singleplayer it should be very popular.

------------------
http://www.domin8air.com/bob/enter.htm

#661134 - 03/21/01 09:07 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Grab a hex editor, open up missions\demo1.demo.pbo, go to 0x12DB9h, change "SoldierWB"; to "T72";, spacebar out the extra space, then go down a bit and change the "LOCKED" to "UNLOCKED". And enjoy the T-72 with the screwed up control scheme, no ballistics, and M1 reticles.

It will also glitch out the mission too, since you're supposed to be driving the goofball around in the jeep instead of parading around in a Russian tank

------------------

#661135 - 03/21/01 09:18 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Spiff Offline
Spiff  Offline

Houston, TX
Thanks Mekh... I'll make sure I play with a sufficiently pouty expression.

#661136 - 03/21/01 09:23 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can try other the other objects in the demo too. There are a bunch of different soldier types, which determines what weapons you start with, and the trucks, plus there's "T72", "BMP", "M113", "UH60" and maybe "ZSU". You're better off sticking with the soldiers, though: the vehicles aren't done very well.

------------------

#661137 - 03/21/01 09:59 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Spoons - SimHQ:

Absolutely, I wasn't slamming him, simply asking for a public service. I did find one sim he likes, Steel Beasts so he can't be all bad

Plus, he came back with some hints and tips for OFP so there must be a little something that keeps him coming back

#661138 - 03/21/01 10:06 PM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
No, Mekh isn't all bad.. his work on Steel Beasts is great (as is his opinion of that sim) but it's the overall evilness of the man that disturbs me.

Unfortunately, my attempts at convincing SimHQ to ban him have been denied by Spoonsy... (sniff.. sad when Spoons doesn't see the pure GENIUS in my humor sometimes).

RB

#661139 - 03/22/01 12:35 AM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Varmint Offline
Varmint  Offline

Hillsboro, OR
I really like what this game could be if they cleaned up the movement. Right now it seems very sloppy and "harsh" compared to the refined, smooth movement in other FPSs.

The vehicle stuff seems ok, but once you get on foot, it's just cheezy and feels wrong. I'm not talking about the bobbing effects, but rather the overall grainy feeling of it.

Jon "Varmint" Blum
Vertical Reality Simulations
http://www.vrsimulations.com
#661140 - 03/22/01 02:54 AM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I liked it. Shows a lot of promise. Spent time down in the Balkans. Pretty similar to what I had seen there.

#661141 - 03/22/01 04:45 AM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ehh.. I was disapointed. It seems almost like you're fighting the controlls and interface more than you are fighting the enemy. It could be good for a rather mindless shooter, but it falls rather short of being the combined-arms tactical game that it set out to be. The AI is about typical of most FPS games, along with all the stupid behavior (I've several times gone through an area where we had cleaned up to find a lone enemy soldier standing stupidly in the middle of his dead commrads while he could quite easily hear the shooting from my platoon only 150 meters away over a ridge.. Not only that, he was facing the wrong way, letting me shoot him even though he was practicly invisible at more than 50 meters!). The little pop-up window that IDs and ranges targets for you is reeeealy annoying, partly because it lets you spot enemies through bushes (I've killed several that way), but even moreso because it's the ONLY way you can possibly identify someone at over 100 meters. I've even walked up on soldiers at under 10 meters, and had to put the crosshairs on them to figure out what side they're on. The game is not well designed for running on low- to mid-range machines. :P

And then there's the typical silliness of the T72s (I drove one, and took THREE RPGs to the rear. No system damage, but my armor was damaged to "yellow".) If you figure out a good spot that the mission designer didn't anticipate you to be at, you can pick off the whole enemy squad as they run past you on their fixed routes. That and the small-arms seem to have no noticable difference for lethality. I didn't notice any difference between the 5.56x45 (M16), 7.62x39 (AK74SU), 7.62x51 (M60), or 7.62x54 (T72 coax). They all seemed to take three hits to drop someone, even if you group them all center-mass. That and the only time you seem to have any penalty for being hit is when it's in the legs (Which of course brings you to the instant-healing medic).

Ehh.. Overall, I'd put it right about on-par with Hidden & Dangerous, maybe a little less, with some things better, and some things worse. I think H&D had more potential, though, Flashpoint just seems to get too much of it wrong... I know it's not supposed to be entirely realistic in terms of control and the like, but it just seems like they weren't even trying, like they just wanted to make another simple-minded FPS with the illusion of real-world combat, but without trying to make it really stand up when tested.

------------------
Phoenix, lava dragon
"Drive defensively -- buy a tank."

#661142 - 03/22/01 04:45 AM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Spoons Offline
Site Emeritus
Spoons  Offline
Site Emeritus

SimHQ.com
Moved to the new OFP message board.

http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/boards/cgi-...point&number=57

------------------
John Sponauer
Senior Editor
SimHQ.com
jsponauer@SimHQ.com

John Sponauer
SimHQ.com
jsponauer@simhq.com
#661143 - 03/22/01 05:35 AM Re: OPERATION FLASHPOINT DEMO OUT  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
Disclaimer!!!!!!!!!!

Phoenix is Mekh's other personality.. exactly the same in every way... just 1/8th the originality.

RB

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Incredible historical ironies
by PanzerMeyer. 04/03/24 01:56 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.