Rate This Thread
Hop To
#659215 - 07/20/02 08:16 PM Sticks with rudder control  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
I'd never really considered how much control I was sacrificing by not using the rudder until I started playing IL-2. So, I've been looking for a stick with rudder controls built in. Currently, I'm thinking along the lines of the 'twist-the-joystick-right-or-left' type. Any opinions on this style of stick?

------------------
Curator of the Vintage Mods website: http://flightsimmers.net/airbase/skycat/OriginalJanesPlanes.htm

Remove before flight
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#659216 - 07/20/02 10:08 PM Re: Sticks with rudder control  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
I always have an opinion!

Get rudder pedals. Period.

The twisty sticks are always a source of complaints, for various reasons.....heh heh.

Actually, email me...

~Bill

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#659217 - 07/20/02 10:38 PM Re: Sticks with rudder control  
Pronto91 Offline
Pronto91  Offline

East Coast, Canada
I would suggest a Logitech WingMan Extreme Digital 3D; twist handle, 7 buttons and throttle, all in a high quality product at a very reasonable price. Peddals are for tricycles.

#659218 - 07/20/02 11:21 PM Re: Sticks with rudder control  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I too have a Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D, and am happy with it, though I've never used pedals before, so I have no frame of reference in comparing one setup to the other. I have noticed that you have to be a little careful you don't develop the habit of unconsciously feeding rudder into your stick movements when you don't want it.
The only real trouble I've had with the stick was not too long ago, the twist rudder "pot" started spiking on me, so I took the handle apart and sprayed some TV tuner cleaner in the pot and that took care of it. Of course, at 39.95, I probably could've just sprung for a new one. LOL!
Also I like the Profiler that came with it, which allows you to reprogram the stick buttons to your liking, although I'm sure other sticks also have this feature.
For me, flying without the rudder is a real handicap, which is why I finally got a stick with rudder control. :^)

TimeBandit

#659219 - 07/20/02 11:35 PM Re: Sticks with rudder control  
No105_ Savage Offline
No105_ Savage  Offline

Houston, Texas, USA
Another option is the Saitek X36 and X45 series. These sticks have a separate throttle control, and a sort of "flapper" on the backside of the throttle that emulates a rudder.

I have a stick with a twist rudder. I used to have a stick/rudder combo, but back problems prevent me from using pedals sometimes, so I switched to a twist stick.

[This message has been edited by No105_ Savage (edited 07-20-2002).]

#659220 - 07/21/02 12:28 AM Re: Sticks with rudder control  
Katabatic Mike Offline
Katabatic Mike  Offline

Rose Hill, Iowa, USA
Wait a minute!

< Mike quickly slips into his flame proof suit >

TA DA!!

I like the Microsoft twisty sticks. My Precision Pro is three years old and works like a champ. The Sidewinder's profile software allows you to assign any commands to buttons and since it is digital -- no pots to clean or wear out!

BTW- you ever make it down to Cody yet?

------------------
Katabatic Mike

Katabatic Mike
#659221 - 07/21/02 02:12 AM Re: Sticks with rudder control  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Skycat,
I have had TWO Logitech Extreme Digital 3D's, and not been satisfied eith either one. They work great for a few months, but then the rudder control goes Tango-Uniform. What happens is that you end up with a controller that can't be calibrated correctly, is poorly supported on-line, and basically sucks. (I hope I can use that phrase on these forums, because they express my opinion rather well. As soon as I can, I'm going to try a Microsoft stick with the twist rudder controls, as they seem to be the most frequently reccomended. If anyone can add anything to this, good or bad, lay it on me. I'm through with Logitech , regardless. I'm ready to fly a straight line for a while, instead of crabbing my way all over the sky.

------------------
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#659222 - 07/21/02 03:08 AM Re: Sticks with rudder control  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
Mike, I'll be out on the road again very shortly, and will be passing through Wyoming. I'll try to stop in at the museum.

I do have a programable stick with a throttle dial; at one time I had its accompanying software installed on my first computer to create a profile and I mapped the function buttons and all. When I got my XP system, I just left the stick 'plug and play' when I moved it to the new computer. I suppose I could try assigning two of the buttons as rudder controls ...

Grrr, more interactive software to worry about ...

------------------
Curator of the Vintage Mods website: http://flightsimmers.net/airbase/skycat/OriginalJanesPlanes.htm

Remove before flight
#659223 - 07/21/02 03:11 AM Re: Sticks with rudder control  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would have to agree with getting rudder pedals. It's a whole new ball game after that. However, I've got an X45 and a set of CH Pro pedals. Since I got a new system with XP I've been able to get my stick and pedals running with every other sim (IL-2, CFS Series, ect) except for WWII Fighters. Suggestions or fixes anyone??

#659224 - 07/21/02 04:25 AM Re: Sticks with rudder control  
Murph Offline
Murph  Offline

Aurora,CO,USA
I have a CH F16 Fighterstick with Thrustmaster Pedals. I decided to go with a dual install (98/2k) so that I could keep running my sims in 98 and use my analog stick's button mapping software. I never had much experience with the "twisty" sticks- I've always liked the feel of pedals, your whole body gets more involved in the sim experience.
If I ever feel as though I really must go to XP, I'll probably sell my old gear (it still works fine after 5+ years) and get equivalent USB equipment- maybe by then the price will have come down some.

Intel i5 2500K CPU @4.0,Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 MB (turbo) GTX 1060 6G, 16G DDR3, Windows 10 Home 64 bit- "N�or bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
#659225 - 07/21/02 04:08 PM Re: Sticks with rudder control  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been using the Logitech Wingman Digital Extreme and CH Pro Pedals for over three years. No complaints.

As suggested, get a stick that you like and that is comfortable to you. Definately invest in some pedals.

Hobo1

#659226 - 07/22/02 05:01 PM Re: Sticks with rudder control  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I posted a response to a question like this on the old board over at WW2 Fighters Online. I use a Joystick/throttle/rudder combo unit form of all places Radio Shack. It works super in WWII fighters. You pick the MS Sidwinder Pro controller in the game then change the button assignments in the ww2keys.txt file to whatever you want. It has 8 programmable buttons. 4 are on the stick with the Hat switch, and four are on the base. At first I thought the buttons on the base would be hard to reach and fairly useless but to my surprise they really work great. The best part is that the rudder function is a really big rocker switch on the throttle. No more breaking your wrists and inadvertently throwing your nose to one side while you are trying to climb or roll. With enough practice you can get very good results out of it. I have a whole lot more finesse with this than I did with either the Sidwinder or the Wingman. Oh and it cost all of 40.00

Good Luck
BrockyTaz

Oh I forgot. It is digital and works with the standard game port connector or USB.

And Oh Yeah! Thanks for the resized skins on your sight. I check that bout oncet a week or so!

[This message has been edited by BrockyTaz (edited 07-22-2002).]

#659227 - 07/22/02 05:26 PM Re: Sticks with rudder control  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
Can you give me more details about this RadioShack controller? I was thinking about your WW2F Online post when I checked RadioShack this weekend; my local store has a very limited selection of joysticks and controllers. I will, however, be travelling across the country soon and will have an opportunity to shop in new locations.

Give me any info you can to better describe the shape, color, brand, etc. so I can maybe find something similar, please?

I believe I owe you a Bf109F model, hmmm? I'll try to put it up tonight

------------------

Remove before flight
#659228 - 07/22/02 05:49 PM Re: Sticks with rudder control  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys, is this it? Looks cool!

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?ca...t%5Fid=26%2D701

TimeBandit

#659229 - 07/22/02 05:58 PM Re: Sticks with rudder control  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Aww mannn!! Now I went and stretched the post out sideways! How does one avoid doing that? Sorry guys. TimeBandit

#659230 - 07/22/02 10:15 PM Re: Sticks with rudder control  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TimeBandit:
Hey guys, is this it? Looks cool!

TimeBandit

Bingo. That's the one. The pic is looking at it from the back and does not do the rocker switch (rudder pedals) on the front of the throttle handle justice. After seeing the mini throttle switches on other sticks, I was a little concerned that it would be a cheap little switch that would be hard to find and harder to use. It is large and easy and comfortable.

Sorry about not posting the URL, but I tend to think of P'cola as a half horse town so if we have it here I think it has got to be everywhere.

BTW the unit measures 9 inches long by 5.5 inches wide, by 2 inches high. The stick is very ergonomic. The unit comes with 4 suction cups or 4 pads to put on the bottom of it. Both the throttle and stick are very smooth. I have to admit that I am impressed.

[This message has been edited by BrockyTaz (edited 07-22-2002).]

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Incredible historical ironies
by PanzerMeyer. 04/03/24 01:56 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.