Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#659198 - 07/20/02 09:53 AM CFS3-new screens are up!  
the Dutchman Offline
the Dutchman  Offline

Almere,Flevoland,the Netherlan...
I do hope so that this sim turns out to be as good as it looks!

http://www.microsoft.com/games/combatfs3/screens.asp

------------------

[This message has been edited by V.Roelofs (edited 07-20-2002).]

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#659199 - 07/20/02 02:44 PM Re: CFS3-new screens are up!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah Me to! Although it being Microsoft I sure am a little stand offish!! It sure looks good though. Hopefully someone at Microsucks is playing sims like IL2, and taking note of IL2 players wishes. I doubt it though they never listen to the community.

[This message has been edited by Greb (edited 07-20-2002).]

#659200 - 07/20/02 08:33 PM Re: CFS3-new screens are up!  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
The screenshots have me interested and excited ... However, the noseart section, in my opinion, looks cheap and cartoonish, like it was put together by an intern with a clipart CD.

------------------
Curator of the Vintage Mods website: http://flightsimmers.net/airbase/skycat/OriginalJanesPlanes.htm

Remove before flight
#659201 - 07/20/02 10:10 PM Re: CFS3-new screens are up!  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Well, lets hope its not the same intern that worked on FM's in MSCFS2.... heh heh.

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#659202 - 07/21/02 01:20 AM Re: CFS3-new screens are up!  
Goodwood Offline
Bit of a chowderhead
Goodwood  Offline
Bit of a chowderhead
Veteran

Detroit - in the Danger Zone!
I liked the exterior models and skins, but the bomber interior cockpit shot is uuuugleeeee!!! Nice 2D control stick! And the low-rez cockpit textures....

------------------
"If you can do the common things of life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world."
--George Washington Carver

Goodwood's World War II website for Skin Art and Comic Books

LukeFF: Oleg got rid of his moustache! eek

akdavis: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
#659203 - 07/21/02 02:00 AM Re: CFS3-new screens are up!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Greb:
Yeah Me to! Although it being Microsoft I sure am a little stand offish!! It sure looks good though. Hopefully someone at Microsucks is playing sims like IL2, and taking note of IL2 players wishes. I doubt it though they never listen to the community.

[This message has been edited by Greb (edited 07-20-2002).]

I have no doubt they are listening to the community.

#659204 - 07/21/02 02:43 AM Re: CFS3-new screens are up!  
No105_ Savage Offline
No105_ Savage  Offline

Houston, Texas, USA
Well, it looks pretty, kinda like the CFS series meets Crimson Skies...

#659205 - 07/21/02 04:18 AM Re: CFS3-new screens are up!  
Yakkalot Offline
Yakkalot  Offline

Australia... Once Upon a Time
It's interesting how many people can't tell the difference between a CFS shot and WWII Fighters with the CFS terrain, mega's eight tree mod on 12 and one of the new 3D models, often saying they're the other way around because CFS3 has worse 3D models and textures

The CFS3 terrain isn't too impressive, the tree placement seems only random, with no proper placement, no improvment from WW2f IMO...

#659206 - 07/21/02 03:12 PM Re: CFS3-new screens are up!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am glad to see Microsnot spared no expense in the skin research department.

#659207 - 07/21/02 05:59 PM Re: CFS3-new screens are up!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm a fan of the CFS series. I like the feel of them, and though there is much that could be improved, they are good fun.

I'm buying CFS3 as soon as it's out. Even though I fly at full realism, I'm not hardcore, and like 105_Savage said, the fantasy aspect looks intersting.

All I care about is whether it's fun or not. If I want painful realism, I'll go to work.

#659208 - 07/22/02 12:55 AM Re: CFS3-new screens are up!  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
I agree with Beirut on the realism thing. There's nothing I hate more than flying around completely lost and looking for a target until I get bounced by enemy fighters that I can't shake or kill -- usually such scenarios end with my spinning out of control or getting pumped full of lead. For me, I gotta have targeting IDs around aircraft, FMs set to easy, unlimited ammo, a direction finder, an autopilot to get me to the target area, and whatever else is offered to allow me a few minutes of joy shooting down a few enemy planes or cutting a swath of destruction through an armored formation. Otherwise, I'm just one tee-ed off guy with a computer and an unused combat flight sim CD.

Realism? Heck, my favorite thing about WW2 Fighters is that inset air-to-target camera view. I love seeing the ground objects in close-up detail as I let loose machine guns and rockets on them. And I rely on knowing which direction my aerial enemy has his guns pointed -- is he aimed up on me or can I catch him on his six? Okay, so I cheat bigtime. I'm no grognard

But that's just me, a guy who barely understands the principles of powered flight and gunnery. I recognize that there are plenty of simmers who are much more adament about getting the mechanics and physics of the flight and ballistics models painstakingly correct, among other elements of the game. I respect that also.

With any new release, I expect the graphics, models, damage models, and atmospherics to be better looking and more interesting than anything previous -- I want designers to exploit the advances in PC technology and satisfy an increasingly sophisticated core audience. Otherwise, what's the point of buying a sim that's 'more of the same'?

The terrain looks fairly decent (okay, in many ways not much of a difference over all the WW2F community's mods) and the models look fairly decent. There are also some new planes that aren't available to WW2F'ers right now, and it looks like the ground-pounding will be pretty good. I like tanks; I like strafing tanks; I like bombing tanks; I like shooting rockets at tanks; I like seeing tanks blow up. I'll probably buy this for that single aspect alone.

Remove before flight
#659209 - 07/22/02 02:28 AM Re: CFS3-new screens are up!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think you are completely correct, Sky... for you, and many others, simming is about the joy of finding the target and destroying it... repeatedly.

And ya know what? There is absolutly nothing wrong with that.

But for those of us who like "Realism" games, it's the same. Yup, it is almost exactly the same... except the difficulty of realistic settings adds to the thrill of the kill. Instead of killing a whole bunch of tanks, if I am able to kill one or two, I get a big kick.

Tonight we in A44 flew a mission in which one of our pilots (Papa) had to fly back from a target deep inside enemy territory, damaged, and avoid enemy groundfire and aircraft. Simply fly to a friendly airfield and land. Doesn't sound very exciting, does it? But, believe me, it is the best!

I guess my point is that for us, difficulty = satisfaction. The harder and more realistic, the more fun!

It doesn't make us better or more proficient... just different.

------------------
Renner
http://ardennes44.20go.com

[This message has been edited by A44Spooky (edited 07-21-2002).]

#659210 - 07/22/02 02:47 AM Re: CFS3-new screens are up!  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
I am more like you, Skycat. If the game doesn't offer me any *fun*, then onto the "Flight Sim Collection Shelf" it goes!
Crimson Skies was an arcade flight sim, but it sure was fun to blast things!

However, I do enjoy setting the realism switches harder as I get better. I am like Spooky in that respect, the next fun thing is to attempt to do it right.
Just may take me quite awhile to get to that point, heh heh.

~Bill

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#659211 - 07/22/02 04:56 AM Re: CFS3-new screens are up!  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
... Just in case I was at all misunderstood, I wasn't trying to imply anything negative towards 'full realism' players. From time to time I used to read over the After Action reports at the A44 board, and I could see you guys were having a terrific amount of fun. I wish I had your level of understanding and competency in regards to piloting an aircraft. I'm working on it, but to be honest I don't have a whole lot of patience or natural talent.

All I meant to say was that I personally find the upcoming CFS3 appealing for specific reasons, even if the previous releases have a somewhat bad reputation. For everybody's sake, I hope that CFS3 comes with very realistic FMs, cockpit controls, ammo loadouts, fuel consumption, etc. -- and also an option to dumb them down to 'easy' settings so I can just fly around and enjoy the game.

Remove before flight
#659212 - 07/22/02 10:37 AM Re: CFS3-new screens are up!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

------------------
Renner
http://ardennes44.20go.com

#659213 - 07/22/02 07:15 PM Re: CFS3-new screens are up!  
Murph Offline
Murph  Offline

Aurora,CO,USA
I'll probably buy it when it comes out, but unless they do better than CFS2 with the virtual cockpit views, I probably won't enjoy it very much.
In my opinion CFS2 just needed way too much tweaking just to make it playable.

Intel i5 2500K CPU @4.0,Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 MB (turbo) GTX 1060 6G, 16G DDR3, Windows 10 Home 64 bit- "N�or bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Incredible historical ironies
by PanzerMeyer. 04/03/24 01:56 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.