Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#657425 - 05/03/01 05:48 PM Re: Flight Models?  
Gryphon Offline
Gryphon  Offline

Dann: Well, it looks like this topic has manifested itself in a timely fashion over at WW2 Online. I've read with great interest your input so far. I always get a lot out of other "Real World" pilot's observations in matters concerning flight sims. I'll probably jump in the fray over there shortly just as soon as I can.......but.......

Just when things were going so well with ironing out all the add-on woes I was experiencing, my joystick decides to start giving me a headache. It's going to be tough to evaluate these flight models any time soon. A couple of nights ago during a test flight, I noticed I was suddenly only getting about 25% deflection in my roll axis to the right. I've tried numerous attempts at recalibrating, but to no avail. The effect is apparent in all sims, so, it's the stick. Great. One more issue to deal with.

I'll jump in over there hopefully before too much time goes by. A buddy of mine may have a standby stick I can borrow and use in the meantime.

Talk to you soon,
Gryphon

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#657426 - 05/03/01 06:13 PM Re: Flight Models?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gryphon,

No worries, get that stick fixed; call out to me either here or at WW2 Fighters, and let me know what you think of the flight models.

Si Vis etc

Dan

#657427 - 05/13/01 02:04 PM Re: Flight Models?  
Kraut Offline
Kraut  Offline

Kit. Ont. Canada
I'm a stickler towards the "more" accurate FMs. I've really enjoyed watching/listening to you comms. Just that annoying little momentary sway to the opposite of rudder deflection. I love that torque response when going on or off of throttle. A nice touch!
Thanks again peoples!
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

#657428 - 05/30/01 06:27 AM Re: Flight Models?  
Tiger27 Offline
Tiger27  Offline

Perth, Western Australia
I to am thinking of revisiting WW2 fighters, so thanks for the latest info.

III/JG11_Tiger
#657429 - 05/30/01 05:14 PM Re: Flight Models?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kraut,

That "opposite" sway is not directly related to the flight model..rather, it is your virtual head moving opposite the plane's yaw! And, realistic....

Si Vis etc

Dan

#657430 - 06/01/01 08:30 AM Re: Flight Models?  
Kraut Offline
Kraut  Offline

Kit. Ont. Canada
I don't know Dann. When rudder is applied, via CH Pro Pedals, there's no movement. When a bit more is applied, then that damn lurch takes place. Like, it's not a smooth transition.
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

#657431 - 06/01/01 05:48 PM Re: Flight Models?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kraut,

Hmmm, interesting...

But what else would that "lurch" be simulating?

Si Vis etc

Dan

#657432 - 06/01/01 09:24 PM Re: Flight Models?  
Kraut Offline
Kraut  Offline

Kit. Ont. Canada
Herr Dann, it acts just like a spike. Two different rudder pedals of the same make, same results. When I check on the calibration scale, everything smooth.
Moving mud or fine tuning onto a bomber is really irksome. With the new FMs in place, this is the only rub I have with this sim. Hehe, it's really minor when compared to BOBBY BOB BOB!!!
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

#657433 - 06/01/01 10:47 PM Re: Flight Models?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kraut,

Good explanation! I figured it was an intentional replication of the inertia of yaw because it happens on my keyboard, too. (No rudder pedals!).

Si Vis etc

Dan

#657434 - 06/02/01 03:12 AM Re: Flight Models?  
Kraut Offline
Kraut  Offline

Kit. Ont. Canada
Herr Dann:
After reading your posts & appreciating your concerns, I've gave it another go. The only thing different was me messing around mit vid. drivers.
Flying the 109 und 47 with power on, the rudder takes more accutation to the right. Much more than to the left. Mit power off, the same both ways. With auto trim on, the problem is more pronounced. With auto trim off, it works great. I've never noticed all this before but it's sure pronounced now. For me, a hidden virtue that I don't think any sim I've flown has immulated. Surprise surprise for me. After all this time I still don't know it all!
Maybe when they tap me on the face mit a round mouth shovel?
Thanks again for your input.
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

#657435 - 06/03/01 06:20 AM Re: Flight Models?  
Gryphon Offline
Gryphon  Offline

Dann: WOW! Did I ever get side-tracked and derailed! Started working on that bomber skin and disappeared into the paint shop. Sorry about leaving this thread for so long.

I did install the v4.05 1944 FM and got my stick up and running, but all the flying I have been doing is swarming around that bomber taking pictures so I could see what I needed to paint/fix. I've used either the Me262 or the P-51 for most of my photo flights. I took a quick flight or two in the other aircraft when I first started checking that skin, but my goal was to find a stable platform for lining up the bomber for screenshots.

I will say this though: Both the P-51 and the Me262 fly better with the new 1944 FM. Both aircraft seem to hold/bleed their energy more realistically. Flight at high angle of attack seems better now too without all that wobble mush that used to take place.

The quick flight or two I did in the Fw190 didn't actually seem to reveal much to me that was new or different. I was hoping the roll rate would be less because the default roll rate seems a bit snappy. I didn't notice too much difference in the roll rate.

The Me109 seems better but I can't really pinpoint the details as to why I think so. I need more stick time in it. The P-38? I have yet to get in her again.

Well, that is about all I have been able to discern so far. I will talk with you again about it soon now that I've dropped the paint brush and have the joystick in hand again.

By the way, I'm interested in your FU3 Race project and I have a related topic to run by you if you have a second.

Gryphon

#657436 - 06/04/01 05:52 PM Re: Flight Models?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kraut,

Glad you're getting so much enjoyment out of this sim....I discovered it late and really enjoy it.

Gryphon,

As posted over at WW2 Fighters, my email is Dan459@aol.com, contact me anytime.

Regarding the roll rate for the Focke-Wulf, I just found some outstanding performance comparison graphs for World War II Fighters (the real ones, not sim!).

The Focke-Wulf was capable of reaching an amazing 160 degree per second roll rate, compared to the Mustangs 85-90 degrees per second, and the Thunderbolts roll rate of 82-85 degrees per second.

Understanding that they have peak roll rates at different altitudes and airspeeds, the Fock-Wulf is nonetheless impressive!

Dan

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.