Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#657402 - 04/09/01 10:51 PM Finally Went Head to Head Against a Human!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

(Last week a friend, Mario, and I were talking about Janes WW2 Fighters. He, with renewed interest, said that he would reinstall his old copy. Last night he came over and we installed, patched, and applied Targets outstanding Flight Model Pack using the 1944 flight models.

Come with me now, into my computer)

Sitting at the old World War Two-style multiplayer console, getting ready to dogfight another human being, ahh, the excitement! A button here, a click there

Error: WW2 Fighters Needs IPX/SPX Connection. Sirens going off, red lights flashing, the world is coming to an end! Screen locks up

Crash to Desktop

Silence; the Void. Blackness where once electrons ran, empty halls of Random Access Memory echo with the ghosts of sims past. The Void swallows all that is, all that was

The Bios speaksLet There Be Power. The Void fills; replaced with the zig-zagging race of particles that would make Bohr weep. The majestic O/S rises, summoned by the all knowing, all powerful CPU

Reboot. IPX/SPX up and running.

One false start as we learn the interface, and were both flying. Ive chosen the 109, liking both the airplane and being the underdogMario is a Warbirds veteran, but I, I have read books! I have studied Robert Shaw, Chuck Yeager, Duke Cunningham; I have flown virtual Falcons! I know Energy and Angles!

I watch as Mario maneuvers behind and below me. With my climb rate, I should be able to turn andmy, hes getting closewhap-whap-whap! His machine guns tear my port wing completely off.

Those books did not cover fighting with only one wing left.

Alt-R, and we go at it again! My 109 resists rolling, rudder, rudder! Damn, get that nose AROUND! Mario fights for every angle, using his aircrafts advantages admirably. I cannot convert to his tail, but I continually deny him a shot. Constantly rolling out of plane, jinking, then a hard bank I force him to maneuver defensively. A quick snap-shot from me reminds him that my guns and cannon are very much a threat as a few pieces of his plane fall off. I roll wings level, and start a shallow climb using the water-meth injection.

Damn! says he, surprised. Youre pulling away.
And Ive got altitude all over you I say, watching from F7.

I reverse on him and attack, we nearly collide as I pull the stick hard back and bank in the near vertical, converting my energy to altitude as he makes a slice to the right, gaining speed and going under me. I finish in an Immelmann, and turn sharply to follow; the chase resumes once again. Hes good, I never get another shot at him.

Reverse, dive and attack, we continueuntil he makes a fatal mistake. Chasing me in a dive, I pull out and watch as he smacks violently into a hillsideI look over at him (and our wives, who have been watching the last 10 minutes or so), and say Check out this victory roll!

My 109 gracefully rolls as it flies right into the ground. The wives laugh. Is there anything more humiliating for an air warrior, than to embarrass himself in front of the women? Especially his just-vanquished foes woman; I mean, dont I get her now?

(Note to self: do not roll the 109 using fly-by views when close to the ground.)

We switch sides.

Im now in my trusty Mustang, and ahhhh, what a beautiful feeling. This aircraft seems to know where I want to go before I do; she rolls smoothly, banks sharply, a pleasure to fly!

I deny Mario any advantage, as he is unfamiliar with the 109s weaknesses. We merge: I roll just out of plane and slice in front of him. Instead of nose low, I go nose high for altitude, he does the same. I go nose low and reverse just below him, but now much faster, and using combat flaps turn easily inside of him. I take a shot but hes too far awayfor the moment. A couple turns later shows him that Im hard on his tail now, and we dive for the deck. Gaining on him, we bank to the right and I notice almost too late that hes pulled off his power: Im going to overshoot. I roll opposite, and pull up in a graceful barrel-roll, throttling back on the downside as I slip back onto his tail. I hear him mutter beautiful and see that hes been watching in the F12 view.

Youve gotta have me in your sights by now he comments.

Not yet I reply quietly: Ive been keeping him in a gentle lag pursuit, enjoying the sparring, the flying, the duel. The Mustang handles so nicely that Ive never felt as if I were going to lose the initiative, so I have patience. But now is the time. I pull the stick back firmly, walking my gunsight up across his fuselage as he enters a turning climb. As the pipper passes his engine, then nose, I let loose a quick burst from the six fifties. As I pass him I roll inverted and look through the top of my canopy at his smoking 109 below me. I can hear his engine, once a roar, now stumbling like its thrown a rod or two.

Engine troubles, Mario?

War is a terrible thing. But something about air to air combat, the duel, the challenge; it is not like war in the trenches, where you will see the mans head explode as your rifle round hits it, or the blood come out of his mouth when your bayonet perforates his lung.

War in the air has always been clean, almost sterile; machine against machine where aircraft performance and pilot skill go hand in hand in a competition with the ultimate at risk.

There is something about the smell of engine oil, the roar of fifteen hundred horsepower engines coming to life, barely tamed in idle and demonstrating sheer power as they fly overhead. Ive seen this, and the memory still brings with it chills.

Say it with me, because you all know it, too:

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, -- and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air . . .

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Thanks, Pilot-Officer John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Dan

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#657403 - 04/09/01 11:46 PM Re: Finally Went Head to Head Against a Human!  
Li'lJugs Offline
Hotshot
Li'lJugs  Offline
Hotshot

St. Cloud MN USA
Very nice piece of writing, and flying! S!

Hi, I'm Larry and this my brother Dayrle, and this is my other brother Dayrle.
#657404 - 04/10/01 02:18 AM Re: Finally Went Head to Head Against a Human!  
REB63 Offline
REB63  Offline

Republic of Texas
Load up CFS 2,and meet us at the Zone.
Lots of intense action,nightly.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
SimHQ Formula 1 Fantasy League
by DBond. 02/21/24 05:48 PM
Brand New, 26 Year Old, House for Sale
by F4UDash4. 02/18/24 11:52 AM
E Commerce Results Filtering
by F4UDash4. 02/17/24 11:43 AM
MS to end W10 support in Oct. 2025
by Red2112. 02/15/24 09:44 PM
Your top 5 RPG's of all time?
by PanzerMeyer. 02/15/24 01:13 PM
Cold War Posters
by F4UDash4. 02/15/24 01:43 AM
Some twisted humor
by oldgrognard. 02/14/24 10:05 PM
MSFS 2020 Dune
by Red2112. 02/13/24 09:49 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.