Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#61874 - 10/12/06 12:50 AM All I wanna do is mow stuff down like a Real American Badass...  
S Dirickson Offline
S Dirickson  Offline

San Diego, CA
I'm dying for a decent FPS.

I tried playing Raven Sheild... can't do it. I hate turning a corner and getting popped immediately, or firing my MP5 from point blank range and missing with an entire 30 round clip. I tried finishing Call of Duty II... can't do it. Last time I checked, the German's didn't have an infinite supply of troops to throw at you, yet this same infinite supply magically disappears when you cross another savepoint. I hate hitting a guy with five rounds from my Thompson only to continue to stagger around, or rush me buttstock flailing. Tried Half-Life II... nope. A minute long load screen every three minutes of action is a serious buzzkill when all I wanna do is run through on god mode with infinite ammo.

Maybe I'm being too picky when I say I want a game that's either 100% realistic or doesn't even make an attempt.

Right now though, I'd be happy with some semi-futuristic run and gun, mow-happy bloodfest. Better yet, something ala Ghost In The Shell. It's 2030, I have a souped up assault rifle, thermo-optic camo, heightened reflexes and a license to kill, mutilate and destroy with extreme prejudice.

This sound good to anyone out there but me?

Naval Aviator
Delta Company Alum, Citadel '07

Texan
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#61875 - 10/12/06 02:34 AM Re: All I wanna do is mow stuff down like a Real American Badass...  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
".....like a Real American Badass."

The title gave me a chuckle.

I remember once waiting for a flight at Singapore International Airport. So I went into their cafetaria and had some lunch. On my table was a menu beckoning me to try one of their fresh coconuts. It said "100% All-Natural Coconut"....which of course begs the question :- Is there such a thing as an Unnatural Coconut ?

Have you tried 'the Regiment' ?? Awesome game. Besides SWAT 4, THe Regiment is the only other FPS currently on my HD. THat could change once Armed Assault hit the stores, but that's another story.

#61876 - 10/12/06 02:52 AM Re: All I wanna do is mow stuff down like a Real American Badass...  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
If you can run Call of Duty 2 just fine, I don't see why your load times in HL2 are one minute. confused 1.Try Far Cry. Its a very nice shooter with a pretty setting. Has a story line but its a shooter through and through. Bullets hit well depending on what your shooting and how. 2.The Alien VS. Predator games are good sci-fi shooters. 3.Soldier of Fortune 1&2 are fun.(Very graphic but a run and gun shooter)4.Star Trek Elite Force 2. 5.The original Half-Life. 6.Area 51 7.FEAR 8.Red Faction series 9.UberSoldier

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#61877 - 10/12/06 04:48 AM Re: All I wanna do is mow stuff down like a Real American Badass...  
buffybill Offline
buffybill  Offline

Colchester, England
Can I maybe suggest a magnificent "FREE" (but online only)game/soldier simulator that I have only just gave up after 3years of playing.
Title: AMERICASARMY..AA for short.
http://www.americasarmy.com/
Latest version 2.7 has just been released for download, with each new version over the years bringing updated GFX,maps,bug fixes etc.
It has an inbuilt "honour" system that allows you to rise in points achieved via kills,healing(medic),completing objectives etc etc. "honour" points can also be lost "ROE" for teamkilling (trust me this happens a lot wether delib or not) and most folks that play use the tracker/stats system employed here at http://aaotracker.com (optional) which also adds reasons for. Game has built in Army training/tests to pass resulting in a starting "honour" rank of 15 building up through time (or dropping because of roe gained) to the max honour achievable 100.
I myself currently sit on 93 honour on my main account (I have a few second accounts for when some one pisses me off then its TK heaven. Trust me this CAN be fun). My stats are http://aaotracker.com/usertracker.php?userid=307237 for anyone to laugh at.
To be honest,when I read the title of this post "All I wanna do is mow stuff down like a Real American Badass" I thought it was gonna be a post about said game smile
You can play this game (originally designed as a recruitment tool) how you like..serious or KICK ASS.
Try it...its free

#61878 - 10/12/06 11:34 AM Re: All I wanna do is mow stuff down like a Real American Badass...  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
What about being an original British badass? With Hidden and Dangerous 2. Excellent game and the add-on Sabre Squadron makes it even better.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#61879 - 10/12/06 11:38 AM Re: All I wanna do is mow stuff down like a Real American Badass...  
S Dirickson Offline
S Dirickson  Offline

San Diego, CA
I dunno why my load times for HL2 are so high. Maybe I'm just exaggerating. I think my problem is that I'm picky as hell.

The only FPS's that have kept my attention for any length of time was the Vietcong series, Operation Flashpoint and the original Call of Duty. I'm very tempted to reinstall Red Faction and Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

The Regiment looks pretty badass, I'm gonna have to try that. Same with Red Orchestra, though I wish it had a single player campaign. There used to be a lot of multiplayer in the barracks, but I think classes caught up with a lot of folks, haha. Suckers, they shoulda been EE like me.

Naval Aviator

Texan
#61880 - 10/12/06 02:42 PM Re: All I wanna do is mow stuff down like a Real American Badass...  
Gatticus Offline
Gatticus  Offline

Canada

"Electronic music should have freed the masses from the limitations of fretboards and fixed-pitch instruments. But apparently some missed the memo..." --thegibsonian
#61881 - 10/13/06 02:18 AM Re: All I wanna do is mow stuff down like a Real American Badass...  
BlackMage11 Offline
BlackMage11  Offline

Atlantic Beach, Florida
For what you're looking for, FEAR or Painkiller will do you nicely. FEAR: Modern setting, near future weapons plus fun ones like particle beams, slomo, creepy Ring girl, and oodles of smart AI'd soldiers aching to be killed.

SimHQ's Resident Distributor of Ownage
#61882 - 10/13/06 03:09 AM Re: All I wanna do is mow stuff down like a Real American Badass...  
James McKenzie-Smith Offline
James McKenzie-Smith  Offline

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Unreal Tournament 2004 is great fun, even against the bots. In fact, I prefer the bots, as I hate MP games.

#61883 - 10/13/06 12:01 PM Re: All I wanna do is mow stuff down like a Real American Badass...  
S Dirickson Offline
S Dirickson  Offline

San Diego, CA
SimHQ's Resident Distributor of Ownage
Haha, #%&*$# straight.

FEAR and Painkiller are on my list, along with The Regiment.

I have fond memories of the original UT. Nothing makes my left arm tingle quite like an insta-gib match with 32+ players on a 4-6 player map.

Naval Aviator

Texan
#61884 - 10/14/06 03:42 AM Re: All I wanna do is mow stuff down like a Real American Badass...  
BlueSixGolf Offline
BlueSixGolf  Offline

Mesa, Arizona
All I wanna do is mow stuff down like a Real American Badass...

Dude, just one word --- DUKE NUKEM FOREVER!

http://www.3drealms.com/duke4/

#61885 - 10/14/06 10:41 AM Re: All I wanna do is mow stuff down like a Real American Badass...  
Jake Strafer Offline
Jake Strafer  Offline

NC, USA
Free tactical shooter. EZ on the resources. Realistic AND run/gun. Best looking free game ever. New weapons coming soon. Download the latest 0.49 version:

True Combat:Elite

http://www.truecombatelite.net/

Prov. 3:5-6
#61886 - 10/14/06 02:24 PM Re: All I wanna do is mow stuff down like a Real American Badass...  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Hey thanks Jake, that looks good, downloading now.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#61887 - 10/28/06 02:42 PM Re: All I wanna do is mow stuff down like a Real American Badass...  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
Originally posted by S Dirickson:
I'm dying for a decent FPS.

I tried playing Raven Sheild... can't do it. I hate turning a corner and getting popped immediately, or firing my MP5 from point blank range and missing with an entire 30 round clip. I tried finishing Call of Duty II... can't do it. Last time I checked, the German's didn't have an infinite supply of troops to throw at you, yet this same infinite supply magically disappears when you cross another savepoint. I hate hitting a guy with five rounds from my Thompson only to continue to stagger around, or rush me buttstock flailing. Tried Half-Life II... nope. A minute long load screen every three minutes of action is a serious buzzkill when all I wanna do is run through on god mode with infinite ammo.

Maybe I'm being too picky when I say I want a game that's either 100% realistic or doesn't even make an attempt.

Right now though, I'd be happy with some semi-futuristic run and gun, mow-happy bloodfest. Better yet, something ala Ghost In The Shell. It's 2030, I have a souped up assault rifle, thermo-optic camo, heightened reflexes and a license to kill, mutilate and destroy with extreme prejudice.

The kind of game you want is completely UNrealistic. If you're frustrated with the realism in Raven Shield then maybe a military career is not in your future.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#61888 - 10/28/06 06:36 PM Re: All I wanna do is mow stuff down like a Real American Badass...  
Operator Offline
Operator  Offline

Originally posted by Plainsman:
Originally posted by S Dirickson:
[b] I'm dying for a decent FPS.

The kind of game you want is completely UNrealistic. If you're frustrated with the realism in Raven Shield then maybe a military career is not in your future. [/b]
I have friends like this. They "claim" to want realism and rag on any semi arcade aspects of games. But when confronted with the most realistic games of each genre (simulations) they balk on it, claiming it as "too hard".

The OP Is one of these people. Stick with arcade games, that seems to be what you like the most judging from your posts in this thread. You don't need to have realism oriented games just because others like them.

#61889 - 10/28/06 08:12 PM Re: All I wanna do is mow stuff down like a Real American Badass...  
NightCrawler Offline
NightCrawler  Offline

San Antonio, Texas
Well S Dirickson if you don't like those FPS games that you addressed, please do not pick up Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, because you will take that back within 5 minutes of play. In this game I get sniped often from areas I cannot see, and I do get P.O.ed after about the 4-5 time, till I finally see him or a friend takes the guy out. However, I personally like challenging games, and I do own ALL the games that you listed above, and completed them ALL eventually. I played Raven Shield for a long time, and I still play HL2 from time to time. Call of Duty 2 single-player was way too short, because I finished that games SP part in two nights of playing.

However, I do feel your pain in the shots to kill aspect ratio. I noticed sometimes you have to hit a target 3-5 times before it goes down, when sometimes 1-2 in REAL life would put anyone down, except King Kong, of course. And I have had to pour in a full magazine (30 shots)into targets too, so I know where you are coming from there. FPS realism is NOT actual realism, but what can you expect.

Have a Great Day!

NightCrawler
"The Devil's Advocate!" smile
#61890 - 10/28/06 09:19 PM Re: All I wanna do is mow stuff down like a Real American Badass...  
S Dirickson Offline
S Dirickson  Offline

San Diego, CA
Plainsman, you're right. What I want is a completely unrealistic game.

When I get tired of the run and gun, I start up Falcon 4.0 or LO-MAC. Hard to find an FPS with a 600+ spiral bound manual. I still play Raven Shield more than anything else, but I stand by my statement before. Just gotta find more folks around here that want to get CO-OP going.

Naval Aviator

Texan
#61891 - 10/29/06 04:55 AM Re: All I wanna do is mow stuff down like a Real American Badass...  
Mr B Offline
Mr B  Offline

I think Black Hawk Down might be for you.

It's a little old, but the single player campaign is some quality mindless fun. The AI are quite dodgy shots (except for the odd sniper wannabe), and the game is rather arcade most of the time, but still feels military and gritty. As a result, the overall feeling is that of kicking ass and chewing bubble gum around some wartown city. Some nice scenes of flying along in a helicopter dishing out pain with the minigun also make for some fun times. It might be what you're looking for. Multiplayer is also quite good if you can find a decent server.

As I said, it's a bit dated, and the single player is a bit of an afterthought. There's a demo out for it though, so I'd give that a go first and see what you think. It should be available for cheap nowadays too.

Cheers,

Mr B

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.