Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#59880 - 06/07/05 11:17 AM Boiling Point - anyone played it yet?  
Drawde Offline
Drawde  Offline

Cookham,Berkshire,UK
Just saw this game for sale in a GAME shop (UK) today. Looks interesting but I'd definitely like to find out more
about it before I buy it.
It sounds rather like a mixture of Far Cry and Stalker:Oblivion Lost (or whatever it's called now). The plot and setting seems rather Far Cry-ish but the huge, open landscapes and drivable vehicles sound like Stalker.

For anyone that's played it, or knows more about it, what's it like?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#59881 - 06/07/05 12:25 PM Re: Boiling Point - anyone played it yet?  
Davros Offline
Hotshot
Davros  Offline
Hotshot

Liverpool
its an rpg you know (well sort of hybrid rpg/fps)

SimHq's Resident Gaming God
#59882 - 06/07/05 01:13 PM Re: Boiling Point - anyone played it yet?  
Orangutan Offline
Orangutan  Offline

Helsinki, Finland
It's an open-ended fps with vehicles and rpg elements.

The core gameplay is great. You may ignore the main plot to explore the world and take on various side missions and still have lots to do. The NPC ai don't seem very great, though. Also the vehicles (cars for me so far) handle somewhat strangely compared to other games with driveable vehicles. But all in all the gameplay itself is just great.

Then again, it's rather buggy and lacks general polish.
The sound doesn't work right and the graphics are just a few notches above Operation Flashpoint. Yet you'll need a beefy machine to run it.

IMO the pros outwigh the cons by a narrow marigin, so I'd givew it a cautious thumbs up. The first patch should be released soon.

#59883 - 06/07/05 02:18 PM Re: Boiling Point - anyone played it yet?  
Jeevz Offline
Duke of URL
Jeevz  Offline
Duke of URL
Veteran

Clermont, FL
I've got it, I'd say its at best OK, i'd give it a B+ for effort and a D- for execution. Make no mistake, you are buying early beta code if you buy this game. It needs lots of patches before it even close to finished. The large environment is very cool, as is the open ended gameplay but it is one of the most unpolished games I've ever purchased.

Commence to Jigglin'
#59884 - 06/07/05 09:54 PM Re: Boiling Point - anyone played it yet?  
Davros Offline
Hotshot
Davros  Offline
Hotshot

Liverpool
theres a patch out if ya didnt know...

#59885 - 06/08/05 08:36 AM Re: Boiling Point - anyone played it yet?  
Drawde Offline
Drawde  Offline

Cookham,Berkshire,UK
Sounds like it's definitely worth trying! I'm also a RPG fan (particularly open-ended RPGs like Morrowind)
I picked up a second-hand copy on eBay for £15.99 inc. P&P - I thought it was worth buying at this price, even if
it's unpolished. Looking forward to trying it out when it arrives in the post!

It really doesn't surprise me that this game is unpolished and buggy, considering its size and scope and the fact that it's from a small and little-known development team - but hopefully it'll be improved by patches. There's already a 75MB one up for download on www.3dgamers.com!

#59886 - 06/09/05 07:10 PM Re: Boiling Point - anyone played it yet?  
Drawde Offline
Drawde  Offline

Cookham,Berkshire,UK
Here's my thoughts on Boiling Point if anyone's interested:

Received the game in the post today, and after playing it for a couple of hours I have to say that it's a lot better than I thought. The gameplay certainly does seem very open-ended, right from the start of the game you can choose (by talking to the right people) to join one of various factions such as the government, rebel guerillas, Mafia etc.

Graphically it seems quite good considering the scope of the playing area. The polygon count might not be much higher than
Flashpoint (other than the building interiors) but the overall look is more colourful, detailed and varied.

Performance-wise it isn't so good, at least on my PC (Athlon 3Ghz with 512MB Ram and a recent NVidia 64MB card). With most options turned up, it seems very "stuttery" - i.e runs at a high frame-rate but with brief pauses every few seconds, particularly when driving in vehicles. This is probably caused by the game dynamically loading the models/textures for buildings, scenery etc.

The interface, controls, conversation system, inventory etc. remind me a lot of Deus Ex, which is a good thing IMHO.
The vehicle handling does feel a bit odd, maybe partly due to the "stutter" effect I mentioned. Thankfully the damage model is fairly forgiving so you can get away with running into a few lamp-posts and buildings without needing a trip to the garage. I can't imagine piloting a fixed-wing aircraft, though (particularly landing!) - it was hard enough in Flashpoint.
You are given a basic car about 5 minutes into the game, and there is at least one car dealer in the main city who sells anything from vintage cars and trucks to jeeps and Hummvees. There are also helicopters, boats, aircraft and various military vehicles in the game, but I'd assume these are harder to obtain (probably only by doing certain missions).

The only bug I've noticed (this is with the new patch installed) is a pathfinding problem with a car (a government Hummvee)
that was driving past in the first few minutes of me playing the game. It seemed to get stuck between a bus shelter and a phone box and eventually ended up driving through the courtyard of a building, apparently knocking down a couple of pedestrians in the process!

However, "lockups" are another matter! If you buy this game, remember to SAVE OFTEN!
I've only encountered one lock-up/system freeze, and it was after playing the game for about an hour, but in an open-ended game like this where a lot can happen in the 5 minutes since your last save, this is one too many!
The crash occurred after I'd encountered a large battle between government and Mafia forces about half a mile out of the city. Not sure if this was scripted or not. I was lucky enough both not to get shot and to find several dropped assault rifles + ammo, but the game then crashed after I returned to my car - I hadn't saved for about 10 minutes.

Anyway, I still haven't played the game for nearly long enough to tell how much gameplay potential, replayability, interesting missions etc. it has, or to judge how many serious bugs there are or how stable it is - but this is my impression of what I have played, and it looks fairly good so far.
Overall though the game definitely feels like more of an RPG than a FPS, and fans of pure action games might find it a bit slow paced and the combat sequences not as polished and exciting as in a conventional shooter.

#59887 - 06/10/05 12:17 PM Re: Boiling Point - anyone played it yet?  
Davros Offline
Hotshot
Davros  Offline
Hotshot

Liverpool
was that post patch drawde ????

#59888 - 06/10/05 05:45 PM Re: Boiling Point - anyone played it yet?  
Drawde Offline
Drawde  Offline

Cookham,Berkshire,UK
Post-patch - I downloaded the patch in the few days between me purchasing the game and it arriving in the post (since I have a dial-up connection, it took nearly this long to download anyway!)

#59889 - 06/15/05 11:41 PM Re: Boiling Point - anyone played it yet?  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
I'm liking this one so far even though it's more than a little rough at this point, it brings to my mind a blend of Morrowind, the GTA series and Vietcong for the combat elements. It seems to run OK at high detail on my 3 gig P4 with a decent videocard and 1 gig RAM but I am seeing a lot of lag at certain times, especially right after I start back into the game.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.