Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#59535 - 02/27/05 11:16 PM Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game  
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 25
wilsonam Offline
Junior Member
wilsonam  Offline
Junior Member

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 25
London
That annoying "ooops... wrong order" bug is fixed in the upcoming release 3.2, I'm happy to say smile

Likewise, the Bots have had some love and attention over the last couple of months!

Add in the MG 42 and the Soviet IS-2 and the new release should be good.

Oh - and you should be getting some special attention on it from your own staffers here at SimHQ !

Cheers,


Alan Wilson
Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45
Tank and Infantry Combat: Eastern Front
http://www.redorchestragame.com
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#59536 - 02/28/05 12:02 AM Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,204
akdavis Offline
Senior Member
akdavis  Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,204
Fort Worth, Texas
Quote
Originally posted by wilsonam:
That annoying "ooops... wrong order" bug is fixed in the upcoming release 3.2, I'm happy to say smile

Likewise, the Bots have had some love and attention over the last couple of months!

Add in the MG 42 and the Soviet IS-2 and the new release should be good.

Oh - and you should be getting some special attention on it from your own staffers here at SimHQ !

Cheers,
Very cool!

Been playing a bunch recently. It's a lot of fun, but sometimes I feel the respawning takes away from the realtistic gameplay. Do any servers run with permanent death ala America's Army? Is this possible with RO?

Also, has the team considered adding suppression effects as in America's Army? As it stands, bolt-action rifles seem to be a bit too effective, mainly because an auto weapon can be showering the rifleman's location while he calmly takes aim and kills them. Right now, putting down suppressive fire on the opfor might as well just through up a huge neon sign that says "Shoot Me Please!" Would be awesome to see real fire and maneuver taking place.


--AKD

"I hope and I need." -Oleg Maddox
#59537 - 03/04/05 09:10 PM Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game  
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 497
Stiglr Offline
Member
Stiglr  Offline
Member

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 497
Portland, OR
My first question, knowing that RO is spawned from a "bunny hop" Rambo FPS fantasy title...

Is it easily hacked? If I go online to try this, will there be dozens of snotty nosed punks using aimbots, speed hacks and other "in-boi" items to stack the odds against anyone who just wants a fair fight (er, as fair as warfare will allow, I mean)?

If I could be reasonably sure of the integrity of the online experience, I might be tempted to actually try this. The lack of a 'serious' military FPS with "real earth" physics and such has kept me from ever trying a title of this sort (and in the case of WWIIOL, who wants to be a soldier when you can fly a plane or drive a tank?)

#59538 - 03/04/05 09:13 PM Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game  
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 497
Stiglr Offline
Member
Stiglr  Offline
Member

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 497
Portland, OR
AK davis wrote:
Quote
Also, has the team considered adding suppression effects as in America's Army? As it stands, bolt-action rifles seem to be a bit too effective, mainly because an auto weapon can be showering the rifleman's location while he calmly takes aim and kills them. Right now, putting down suppressive fire on the opfor might as well just through up a huge neon sign that says "Shoot Me Please!" Would be awesome to see real fire and maneuver taking place.
This is an interesting concept. Sounds to me like the crux of it is the same as in any sim: how do you simulate "fear of death" realistically so that everyone isn't overly aggressive or prone to take too many risks.

How would you simulate "suppression"? How does America's Army handle it?

I'm totally ignorant of anything in this genre, so that's why I ask.

#59539 - 03/05/05 12:52 AM Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,204
akdavis Offline
Senior Member
akdavis  Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,204
Fort Worth, Texas
Quote
Originally posted by Nguyen:
AK davis wrote:
Quote
Also, has the team considered adding suppression effects as in America's Army? As it stands, bolt-action rifles seem to be a bit too effective, mainly because an auto weapon can be showering the rifleman's location while he calmly takes aim and kills them. Right now, putting down suppressive fire on the opfor might as well just through up a huge neon sign that says "Shoot Me Please!" Would be awesome to see real fire and maneuver taking place.
This is an interesting concept. Sounds to me like the crux of it is the same as in any sim: how do you simulate "fear of death" realistically so that everyone isn't overly aggressive or prone to take too many risks.

How would you simulate "suppression"? How does America's Army handle it?

I'm totally ignorant of anything in this genre, so that's why I ask.
America's Army handles it with a "combat effectiveness" meter. If you are in close proximity to enemy fire, you lose combat effectiveness, which basically means it's harder to shoot accurately.

I don't think a meter is necessary. Feedback can come through audio elements (sound of near misses, heavy breathing) and through reduction in ability to aim (swaying just as when fatigued, but perhaps add in a "jerking" effect when in iron sights). Short of another sniper, the most effective counter-sniper tactic is to lay on as much firepower to the suspected position as possible. Not even a super-human can aim accurately under that sort of suppressive fire, but any return fire should have some effect.


--AKD

"I hope and I need." -Oleg Maddox
#59540 - 03/08/05 12:24 PM Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game  
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,247
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,247
Malaysia
In a nutshell, am I correct to say that RO is currently a realistic FPS for multiplayer only ?

Further, am I correct to say that they are working on some bots (singleplayer) but that area still needs quite a bit of work ?

#59541 - 03/09/05 11:56 PM Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game  
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 264
CGReload3000 Offline
Member
CGReload3000  Offline
Member

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 264
Los Angeles
Quote
In a nutshell, am I correct to say that RO is currently a realistic FPS for multiplayer only ?

Further, am I correct to say that they are working on some bots (singleplayer) but that area still needs quite a bit of work ?
You can find the answers to your questions by clicking on this link wink


XBOX360 - ALKALINE11
STEAM - cgreload

AMD Phenom II X4 965
ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX AM3
8GB G-Skill RIPJAW X
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770SC
CORSAIR TX750 PSU
#59542 - 03/11/05 06:30 PM Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game  
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 25
wilsonam Offline
Junior Member
wilsonam  Offline
Junior Member

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 25
London
Quote
Originally posted by Nguyen:
My first question, knowing that RO is spawned from a "bunny hop" Rambo FPS fantasy title...

Is it easily hacked? If I go online to try this, will there be dozens of snotty nosed punks using aimbots, speed hacks and other "in-boi" items to stack the odds against anyone who just wants a fair fight (er, as fair as warfare will allow, I mean)?

If I could be reasonably sure of the integrity of the online experience, I might be tempted to actually try this. The lack of a 'serious' military FPS with "real earth" physics and such has kept me from ever trying a title of this sort (and in the case of WWIIOL, who wants to be a soldier when you can fly a plane or drive a tank?)
Ok - because we are based on the Unreal Engine, it can't be hacked easily. After two years, we've still not yet found anyone doing anything (in terms of cheating) than exploiting the odd hole in the terrain (and we close those off as soon as they are found!).

The aim all along has been to make this a combat sim... no bunny-hopping little rambo types smile

Actually, as an old sim hand (going all the way back to board game days) I actually find it helpful to have a few gung-ho kids online in a game with me - they make great assault troops (ie bullet-magnets and sniper-detectors) so that I can rip off a burst or 3 from the MG42 and THEN charge on to the objective (over the bodies of my dead comrades, if they insist on dying na rodina !

Try it out - borrow a copy of UT2004 first - but try it !


Alan Wilson
Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45
Tank and Infantry Combat: Eastern Front
http://www.redorchestragame.com
#59543 - 03/17/05 05:56 PM Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game  
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 329
Drawde Offline
Member
Drawde  Offline
Member

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 329
Cookham,Berkshire,UK
Well, if there's a retail version of RO, with bots for offline play, I'd buy it like a shot.
I'm not really a MP fan (but prefer open-ended MP-style play to scripted missions) and also have a 56K connection
so cannot realistically either download the current version of RO, or play it with a reasonable ping, so I'd definitely
pick up a copy if it isn't too expensive.

For anyone who plays RO, what are the maps generally like in terms of terrain openness? I'd imagine the UT2004 engine allows for reasonably realistic outdoor maps (some of the original maps with the game are pretty large).
And how many vehicles are there currently - are there support vehicles like halftracks and trucks, stationary AT guns
and artillery, etc. as well as tanks?

#59544 - 03/17/05 08:31 PM Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,204
akdavis Offline
Senior Member
akdavis  Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,204
Fort Worth, Texas
Quote
Originally posted by Drawde:
Well, if there's a retail version of RO, with bots for offline play, I'd buy it like a shot.
I'm not really a MP fan (but prefer open-ended MP-style play to scripted missions) and also have a 56K connection
so cannot realistically either download the current version of RO, or play it with a reasonable ping, so I'd definitely
pick up a copy if it isn't too expensive.

For anyone who plays RO, what are the maps generally like in terms of terrain openness? I'd imagine the UT2004 engine allows for reasonably realistic outdoor maps (some of the original maps with the game are pretty large).
And how many vehicles are there currently - are there support vehicles like halftracks and trucks, stationary AT guns
and artillery, etc. as well as tanks?
I would define the maps as semi-open. Most are urban. The rural maps have that "arena" feel to a degree and fog is pretty noticable. They don't really do tank vs. tank combat justice, but it's still fun.

Equipment wise there is:
-truck (ZiS?) for the Russians (not the best model in the game; should be replaced with the M3A1 scout, IMO)
-SdKfz 251 with MG42
-KV-1S
-T-34/85
-Pz IV F2
-Pz V Panther
-JS-II "soon"

There are also artillery strikes, but no on map artillery/guns (other than static objects to capture/destroy).


--AKD

"I hope and I need." -Oleg Maddox
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
76 years ago today -- D-Day
by Sluggish Controls. 06/06/20 04:13 AM
Very educational F-22 video
by Zamzow. 06/05/20 11:35 PM
Justice for Maddie
by RossUK. 06/04/20 11:11 AM
Perhaps My Final Flight
by FishTaco. 06/04/20 02:59 AM
Blue Angel's will transition to the Rhino
by CyBerkut. 06/02/20 12:41 PM
The pancake chef...
by Mr_Blastman. 05/31/20 06:33 PM
DOSBox/MS-DOS6
by MarkG. 05/31/20 02:14 PM
Question for gun lovers
by Blade_RJ. 05/30/20 02:54 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0