Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#563420 - 04/16/05 01:42 PM Why o why was this sim never updated???  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I've said this about other older flight sims but none of them that I know of deserves new life more than this one!

What little I've read about EF Typhoon this morning, I think I'll pass on it unless I come across it at EB Games or it becomes abandonware.

Here's something really interesting (to me anyway \:\) ). Prior to playing JetFighter IV in mid-'03, the only flight sim I'd ever played for any length of time was MicroProse's Nighthawk F-117A Stealth Fighter 2.0, and that was a long time ago. Well, one day I was at the St. Augustine, FL outlet mall and on a whim, I remember picking up a flight sim for $10.00, but never got it running correctly or something (don't remember, just too long ago).

I'll be damn if this isn't the game...
http://pc.mobygames.com/game/dos/ef2000

When I saw the box I immediately thought to myself, "HEY, I HAVE THAT ONE!" I recognize the box without a doubt and I know I have this game somewhere in storage (doubt that I would throw something like this away). Well, I'm going to have a fun weekend looking through many closets and boxes. \:\(

But even if I do find it, it can only be the DOS version in that box, right? I guess there's no way to patch it to Win95, but what I'm most interested in is any Manual that might be in the box. Or even if just a printable PDF. Would it have all the information I need to play Super EF2000?

BTW, I remember starting that sim now, a British voice and lots of white mountainous landscaping. It has GOT to be the same game! \:\)

I'll get back to you if I find it.
--

Mark

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#563421 - 04/16/05 05:09 PM Re: Why o why was this sim never updated???  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
Mark! Don't give up!! The EF2000 V2.0 (Tactcom)box includes accelerated 3DFx and Rendition(!) DOS versions - still look great - as well as the Windows version, which should itself install and run quite well (you might need to slow down your processor though - check this forum or TAW. The Nephilim can tell you any details).

Also, Windows version is extemely solid and reliable in on-line play, AND the campaign is playable co-op! Note, that Super EF2000 is a Euro release that is not compatible online with the U.S. EF2000 V2.0. Neither is 3D/accelerated, so not as decent looking. But don't let that stop you.

None of that takes anything away from the single player mode of any of the versions. If you have V2.0, and want to fly on-line, Neph and I are available.

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#563422 - 04/16/05 06:25 PM Re: Why o why was this sim never updated???  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Eugene, finding my box (or even CD or Manual) of my original EF2000 is looking bleak right now and I'm about to give up on that \:\( , although I did find a couple of other things I've been looking for. \:\) Today has turned into a major Spring Cleaning.

I'm not sure about the other versions of EF2000, but since Super EF2000 is considered abandonware and since it runs on Win95 machines (assuming 95/98/ME/XP as well), that's the only version I'm interested in, despite the inferior graphics compared to the 3Dfx version (if I even had a supported Voodoo video card). And not just for me, but for other people I know as well.

Until recently, I've been getting family and friends interested in combat flight sims using Graphsim's F/A-18 PSF (aka Hornet Korea), mainly because hardware requirements are very low and I could always pick up a copy at CompUSA for $10.00. Unfortunately, F/A-18 OIF has replaced PSF in the CompUSA $10.00 bargain bins and I don't like OIF nearly as much, not to mention the steeper hardware requirements, especially HD space.

IMO, Super EF2000 would be the PERFECT game to use to get the people interested in flight sims!

1. It's considered abandonware which I'm hoping means that, along with websites like HOTU, I can give it to anyone I want to without having to look for it in bargain bins, which also gets expensive even at only $10.00 a pop.

2. Super EF2000 graphics are SO dated that it should run on just about any machine, and the people I want to show this game to usually don't have stellar machines, some are even using very old laptops. My brother, for example, just "upgraded" his desktop to 800 Mhz, LOL!

3. Super EF2000 has so much playability compared to Hornet Korea because it has an awesome dynamic campaign and a very slick feature packed interface! Just the landing training mission is great, IMO! I'm guessing EF2000 avionics are a bit simpler too but I could be wrong about this one (haven't played it enough yet).

I just wonder why HOTU doesn't provide a better download (if it really is porked)? Also, why no PDF documentation?
--

Mark

The sun is in the east
#563423 - 04/16/05 07:54 PM Re: Why o why was this sim never updated???  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
Quote:
Originally posted by MGonzales:
Also, why no PDF documentation?
--

Mark
Because Mark, when this came out you didn't need to download some lame pdf file.... IT, came with a marvalous 331 (yes, count'em) page manuel!

For me, half the fun of a flight sim was the manual...

To this day, and considering the WHOLE package, I still feel this is the best sim on the market.

...just wish I could play it on top of xp.

And, Mark, if you speak loud enough around here you just may get a reply from one of the original developers! Its soo cool. My heroes.

#563424 - 04/17/05 12:54 AM Re: Why o why was this sim never updated???  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
piper, PDFs are fine IMO as long as they're designed to be printed (i.e. F/A-18 OIF). But I can't imagine ANY manual toping my Falcon 3-ring binder! \:\)

I spent all day looking for that EF2000 box and reading about EF2000 on Usenet and archived forums like the CombatSim Jets forum. Those discussions have lead me to a drastic decision...

With heavy heart, I've come to the conclusion that the only way to keep my sanity (and possibly my marriage) is to just let this one go before I become too attached to it. In fact, I'm done with flight sims to this day forward except for one, and that's where all of my flight sim time and energies will be going for now on.

My wife has finally had enough of what I pulled today, spending all day on yet another flight sim on a gorgeous Florida Saturday. She's right, you know. I'll make it up to her tomorrow, and tonight I'm going to have one more flight with each of my flight sims before I uninstall them all...except for one. Only Falcon shall remain, and only one flight sim shouldn't take up too much of my life, should it? \:\)

Wow, unlike USAF and especially F/A-18 PSF, this one sure didn't last very long for me. \:o Great looking campaign EF2000 has. I hope the community can one day bring this excellent sim back to life.
--

Cheers,
Mark

The sun is in the east
#563425 - 04/17/05 04:05 AM Re: Why o why was this sim never updated???  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
Mark, Super EF is the Euro version for Windows. EF2000 V2.0 is the U.S. version for Windows, plus the two graphics+ 3D versions. All in one box. Sadly, Super EF and EF2000 v2.0 Windows are not compatible online. I the experience is the same, just not compatible on line. But if you only want to fly offline, why are you giving up on your download? Flying for your own single-player experience, you should have no problems.

In any event, sometimes you can find the U.S. v2.0 on eBay, inexpensively. The manual is great, the software solid. Free downloads like you mentioned are sometimes a real find, but also worth what you pay for them. EF2000 is definitely worth a few dollars, even today. You were excited about it for good reason.

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#563426 - 04/17/05 01:55 PM Re: Why o why was this sim never updated???  
Moses Offline
I have a Rather Large
Moses  Offline
I have a Rather Large

Tulsa, Ok, USA
Sounds like you need to shelf the wife

Jeff "Moses" Malone
Proud Member of 195th Dambusters Virtual Squadron.
http://561stbms.enjin.com/
#563427 - 04/17/05 07:26 PM Re: Why o why was this sim never updated???  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Quote:
Originally posted by 195th_Moses:
Sounds like you need to shelf the wife
LOL! I would starve! My wife (of 17 years) has been more than tolerant of my becoming a flight sim junkie the past couple of years. She just wants me to come up for air every now and then. \:\) We discussed it over breakfast this morning and my actions last night might have been a little drastic. I just need to take an occasional break.

Eugene, I understand what you mean about getting what you pay for, but I'm leery about paying anything for EF2000 right now. How can I know for sure that the CD is going to work any better (no sound issues) than the abandonware download, which is supposedly a "CD-rip version"? I've done research on this sim and I'm not the only one having problems with it on a "newer" machine (if you consider a 1.7Ghz / 512 MB SDRAM to be a newer machine).

And it's not so much the money as it is the hassle of ordering and waiting, and then when it arrives, to be sorely disappointed when it doesn't work properly. That would drive me nuts! \:\) Not to mention that even with my older non-gaming computer, I still have to run a CPU utility to slow it down.

Since SEF2000 is considered abandonware (and I think the jury is still out as to exactly what that means), I figure it'll eventually become available from other sources and when it does, I'll try it again. And once I know for sure that it'll actually work properly on my system, I might purchase a box if just for the Manual (provided no PDF is available).

Note that TAW is a different story as I've played the demo and my sound works just fine with this one.

In the meantime, I'm keeping my eye on another EF2000... \:\)
http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=86429
--

Mark

The sun is in the east
#563428 - 05/06/05 02:47 PM Re: Why o why was this sim never updated???  
Tracer[formerly of CS] Offline
Tracer[formerly of CS]  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by piper:
if you speak loud enough around here you just may get a reply from one of the original developers! Its soo cool. My heroes.
LOL you got a spare seat beside you bud!? DID will ****ALWAYS**** be my heroes! I still have saved webpages from their original site somewhere and also a cherished DID personal letter with DID insignia on it

I found out 2 days ago where Martin Kenwright is -the founder of DID. He's here making.....Rally games on the PS2 What a shame.....

#563429 - 06/29/05 08:55 AM Re: Why o why was this sim never updated???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sad to hear where he is... I just sent him an email and hopefully I get an answer from him. Then we know why he is making PS2 games now and if he ever wants to revisit old times...

#563430 - 07/15/05 03:27 AM Re: Why o why was this sim never updated???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I liked DID...they made cool games

cheers

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.