#562173 - 08/13/01 04:16 PM Re: Typhoon Gets Very Poor Score at Gamespot  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawgiver:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by *Hengist*:
However, Typhoon is an excellent entry level game for the beginner who wants to experience some of the joys of a combat flight sim.

Quote:
So, is the reviews claim of waiting for over ten minutes to get on playing untrue? There's no way an "exellent entry level game" can have that kindo of [b]boring, idle game time.

Nope the review is true.

Quote:

I think jefflackey's post is very, very good. It seems to me a lot of you saying Typhoon being ideal for nebies have a belitling, patronising and misguided view on flight sim beginners.

I don't consider it as a patronising view. What I think you're failing to understand is that even us hardcore sim people that have been around for years were newbies at the start... i.e. We've been there and are talking from experience.

belittling, patronising, misguided? I don't think so!

Honest, trying to help, based on experience? I think so!

------------------
\:\)

Hengist.

Hengist's MiG Alley Site

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#562174 - 08/13/01 11:21 PM Re: Typhoon Gets Very Poor Score at Gamespot  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dusty, i read your review over at dogfighters,and
although there have been many negative rants about this game I've decided to buy it for my brother. Like you said this game is for the newbie, so take it for what it is. I felt you gave it(us) an honest assessment.

I'm still hoping one day Steve will give us a hardcore EF2K sim bringing back the glory days of DID's ef2000 sim. I've heard many say that sim started hardcore simming.

#562175 - 08/14/01 08:29 PM Re: Typhoon Gets Very Poor Score at Gamespot  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by *Hengist*:
What I think you're failing to understand is that even us hardcore sim people that have been around for years were newbies at the start... i.e. We've been there and are talking from experience.

Actually I was born a flight sim genius, in fact I was so good at Flight Eagle II I still can't understand why the USAF didn't take me up on my offer to win the war for them.

I can't understand all the people knocking this sim? The only thing missing is the opportunity to replace the Typhoon with a JSF and paint the Stars and Stripes on it, then the "Mothership" would be entirely logical.

And what's all this about USAF being a "lite" sim, It's really hardcore, especially the bit where you can turn invulnerability off occaisionally to encourage the VC gunners - I bet they wish they could have done that in real life so they wouldn't have lost the war to the Americans!

Typoon is incredibly realistic, the waiting around is spot on! In fact for proper military sim you should have the option to sit at the computer for days at a time before you even get a hint of anything exciting. Perhaps in the update they could include 1,000 useless forms to print off and complete in triplicate in before take-off??

Look on the bright side - it's a game with "wings" in it

"Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side, and the truth."

[This message has been edited by Vorlon (edited 08-14-2001).]

#562176 - 08/14/01 11:21 PM Re: Typhoon Gets Very Poor Score at Gamespot  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL!!!!

-.-

#562177 - 08/15/01 12:46 PM Re: Typhoon Gets Very Poor Score at Gamespot  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

lol, nice one brewsky

------------------
\:\)

Hengist.

Hengist's MiG Alley Site

#562178 - 08/15/01 08:48 PM Re: Typhoon Gets Very Poor Score at Gamespot  
Vaider-Raider Offline
Vaider-Raider  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by *Hengist*:
We've been there and are talking from experience.

Hey

I dont know... first flight game I ever played was afterburner on the C64...

I think after that it was some flight game on the NES but I cant remember what it was now... (damn good blaster tho !!) anyone remember? shot down a bomber by blowing its four engines up on the 2nd level? (boss)

in between then and now I've played F15 Strike Eagle, F117A, F-19? Retaliator, Birds Of Prey, original Gunship and O Gunship 2k on the Amiga.... Strike commander on the PC, TFX, F22, Ef2k+tactcom, F22/TAW, EECH, F4, most of those games are hardcore by comparison to Typhoon... and to be honest I find it so hard to relate it to any game in the past..

Afterburner with the 'management' of SC maybe? (being serious)

why would anyone want to recommend that to anyone when learning to fly?

All I did many years ago w/ Ef2k was start the landing training mission... show them what the airbrake/gear down etc buttons were.. showed them 'F6' *g* and said "Land it !!!" they were amused for ages.

Why do newbies need comfort blankets when moving from Incoming to ...... a sim that actually resembles a sim.

What is the point of telling someone here, have the controls of one of the most realistically advanced machines to-date with smart missiles fly by wire manouvering etc.... now go shoot down that spaceship with guns to get a high score !

"From the moment I picked your game up until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend playing it. "
/mis quote

------------------
Vaider-Raider

"I'm right here,
because I'm not all there"

#562179 - 08/15/01 09:46 PM Re: Typhoon Gets Very Poor Score at Gamespot  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaider-Raider:

What is the point of telling someone here, have the controls of one of the most realistically advanced machines to-date with smart missiles fly by wire manouvering etc.... now go shoot down that spaceship with guns to get a high

Hey it worked for Will Smith in Independence Day! Whatever ever happened to the hardcore sim based on that film

Actually I think the problem is reading reviews after we've bought the game - let's be honest there's just a little bit of us that wants to read a reviewer praising the game we shelled out on, cos that proves what a smarty-pants we were for buying it!

Of course if the reviewer slags off the game then we might have to admit we may have made a mistake, or denigrate the review(er). Emotionally I suspect the latter is easier to do

I guess the motto would be: buy what you want, play what you want, take it for what it is, and get your money back if you don't like it.

Personally I always take reviews with a large pinch of salt, I mean how many magazine reviews ever slag off the big boys, hmm, not too often I think. I prefer to read these boards for feedback.

Typhoon seems by and large to be what was actually promised (?) perhaps not what people "thought" was being promised.

The way some people carry on you'd think Rage were the bad guys for publishing something they don't now like.

One reason I still play it is because I can fly something with RAF roundels on the wing (that isn't a spitfire), and maybe future add-ons or third party additions will tweak it more towards the "realistic" (whatever that is), and make use of a pretty nice graphic engine.

"I'd check my instruments if I were you, nobody puts a minefield in place like thi............"

#562180 - 08/16/01 05:28 AM Re: Typhoon Gets Very Poor Score at Gamespot  
Vaider-Raider Offline
Vaider-Raider  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Vorlon:

Typhoon seems by and large to be what was actually promised (?) perhaps not what people "thought" was being promised.
"

yes and no Vorlon....
DiD/Rage promised a light sim.....
what they produced was by 85% peoples opinion a flight *game*...

whither you like that *flight game* is something entirely different all together.

there is quite a difference I believe.

------------------
Vaider-Raider

"I'm right here,
because I'm not all there"

#562181 - 08/16/01 05:45 AM Re: Typhoon Gets Very Poor Score at Gamespot  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaider-Raider:

yes and no Vorlon....
DiD/Rage promised a light sim.....
what they produced was by 85% peoples opinion a flight *game*...

whither you like that *flight game* is something entirely different all together.

there is quite a difference I believe.

Actually, if I remember correctly (got to look up the old press release), DID stated that with Typhoon they were going back to their roots. Less sim and more action. Which is ironic considering the 20 waits between missions

Anyhow I don't really think it makes much sense to label sims as either lite or hardcore. I mean would Typhoon (as is) with an open ended and deeper campaign still be considered "flight game"? Maybe we need an air and/or ground combat sim catagory

[This message has been edited by Uroboros (edited 08-16-2001).]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Incredible historical ironies
by PanzerMeyer. 04/03/24 01:56 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.