Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#561776 - 07/14/01 07:20 AM Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just decided to see what benefits would occur if i uninstalled then reinstalled Typhoon. I am starting the campaign again. SO I am noting certain things.

The Sub. With the AAA and the IR sams.

The dodging, chaff despensing Cruise Missiles.

The tanks which magically come ashore from nowhere.

The Su-25s who come from nowhere. (Oh, he flew from a captured base in Norway, did he, with a full bomb load? Of course he did...)

This is why naval ops are a priority. The invasion should be preceeded by enemy sweeps by Su-33s (DID, cheat and use the Su-35s if needs be) operating off a carrier. Since it is 2015, I think we could assume that the Russians might have that second Kuznetsov class carrier working. Or something.
--

No wheel brakes, drogue parachutes. Oh, too complicated you say. Well to hell with simplicity, when i am hurtling down the runway at 140 knots and that speed brake is not stopping me, I am screaming for a drogue chute! Or wheel brakes, or something!!!

--

No manual undercarriage put down thingie. I am told the Tornado has this. When all is completely screwed, hit this, and down come the wheels lock into place and the crew chiefs despire you for life. I just came back from a mission where someone shot me up and my undercarriage was broken. I managed a belly landing, but my plane exploded. The pilot is in the hospital.

---

Viggens: How did they get there? Why have they not been scrapped? EBC says Sweden is neutral, but there are both Grippens and Viggens flying, with Swedish markings. Methinks CF-18 and F-16AM might be better choices.

---

At the end of one of the EBC broadcasts, the lady stops speaking and a booming voice cries out: excellent going. :-) Ooops.

---

My throttle doesn't work. GRR. Actually, I am about to map the "+" and "-" keys to the slider thingie on the side of my throttle, and at least have some "left hand function."

---

But still. Typhoon... you know why we bitch. We bitch cos we see this thing, and we want it to be perfect. We want to be playing it in five years time the same way we played EF2000.

Right, back to Iceland.

Gavin

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#561777 - 07/14/01 09:41 AM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Amen, Gavin.

I also restarted and it sure is amusing (to put it most mildly) to notice all that odd stuff happen. How am I to take this "simulation" seriously and feel I'm not wasting time big time? Rage/Did imo did a rush job. I guess I will never be able to understand the real "Typhoon" has wanted to endorse this game (but probably Tiger can tell me for he apparently thinks you and I are people who need to be patched up

#561778 - 07/14/01 10:43 AM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
Tiger Offline
Tiger  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Gavin Bennett:
Just decided to see what benefits would occur if i uninstalled then reinstalled Typhoon. I am starting the campaign again. SO I am noting certain things.

The Sub. With the AAA and the IR sams.

I remember the AAA at sea even with EF2000, now I think about it Im pretty sure it was there in TFX and F29 retaliator also. I think I read somewhere that the Typhoon class sub does have an SA14 launcher for surface defence, someone posted a link here in an earlier thread.

Quote:
The tanks which magically come ashore from nowhere.

It looks as though most of the tanks disembark from ships, but the tanks appear to be reaching the shore via the hovercraft (and possibly the Ekranoplanes) also. Most of the Ekranoplanes appear to stop near the shore but Ive seen the hovercraft press inland and then shortly after lost that sector, so I assumed thats where the tanks came from. Of course I wasnt looking to nit pick so I overlooked the magic option

Quote:
The Su-25s who come from nowhere. (Oh, he flew from a captured base in Norway, did he, with a full bomb load? Of course he did...)

Yep, Norway may be a tad beyond the range of some of the Russian aircraft, but I just assumed that the Russians had either captured the Faeroes, a group of islands about halfway between Iceland and Norway. In real life I guess the Russians could have airstrips in place there days before the invasion for the purpose of refuelling their short-range aircraft.

Quote:
This is why naval ops are a priority. The invasion should be preceeded by enemy sweeps by Su-33s (DID, cheat and use the Su-35s if needs be) operating off a carrier. Since it is 2015, I think we could assume that the Russians might have that second Kuznetsov class carrier working. Or something.

Or something you mean like magic?

Quote:
No wheel brakes, drogue parachutes. Oh, too complicated you say. Well to hell with simplicity, when i am hurtling down the runway at 140 knots and that speed brake is not stopping me, I am screaming for a drogue chute! Or wheel brakes, or something!!!

This is funny are you even playing this game? You are trying to use the airbrake to stop on the runwaylol! Try the wheel brake! When I use the wheel brakes they are very effective, almost burry the nose into the runway! I wonder how you manage the F4 cockpit when you cant even find the wheel brakes in Typhoon!

Quote:
I just came back from a mission where someone shot me up and my undercarriage was broken. I managed a belly landing, but my plane exploded. The pilot is in the hospital.

Sounds like you had fun trip.

Quote:
But still. Typhoon... you know why we bitch. We bitch cos we see this thing, and we want it to be perfect. We want to be playing it in five years time the same way we played EF2000.

Yep, but the bitching is overpowering. It already seems that guys like Steve, Andy and Badboy have stopped posting here and most of the folk who want to talk about Typhoon without hearing all the whining have gone to other boards. Congratulations!

Tig

Tiger
#561779 - 07/14/01 01:48 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Tiger

Yep...you broke the code.

Andy

#561780 - 07/14/01 01:59 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
Blond_Knight Offline
Blond_Knight  Offline

My personal favorite was when guys complained that in day 1 they were able to stall the Soviet offense, as I was able to do.
Steve's response: Restart the campaign, and LET the Soviets get ashore.

------------------
See-Decide-Attack-Reverse

#561781 - 07/14/01 03:21 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiger:
Yep, but the bitching is overpowering. It already seems that guys like Steve, Andy and Badboy have stopped posting here and most of the folk who want to talk about Typhoon without hearing all the whining have gone to other boards. Congratulations!

That may be the case, but on the other two boards I know of with Typhoon threads - I haven't posted on one of them at all, and on the other I have just posted my web address that lets you give notice of multiplayer games.

Well guess what? People are moaning there as well - and it's not me or anyone on these boards.

Cheers,
Manteau

#561782 - 07/14/01 03:49 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
Tiger Offline
Tiger  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Blond_Knight:
My personal favorite was when guys complained that in day 1 they were able to stall the Soviet offense, as I was able to do.
Steve's response: Restart the campaign, and LET the Soviets get ashore.

Are you saying you stopped the russians from landing on the island? I've managed to hold them to a few sectors but I'd like to know how you stop them completly. Post the saved game, I'd like to see that.

Tig

Tiger
#561783 - 07/14/01 03:55 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
Tracer[formerly of CS] Offline
Tracer[formerly of CS]  Offline

One thing that really annoyed me was my wingman could detect target's 109miles out and would call them out to me by *name*!
I looked at my radar and wouldn't see anything -of course

You could actualy see the spawn points of the enemy plane's out at sea many time's i changed my waypoint's and actualy stumbled on them at about 30-40 miles out -no it wasn't that they were flying stealthy, as my wingman must have some incredible eyesight then eh!? I would follow his called out course and sure enough they would appear.

Thing's like that destroy the fun in any game....

Tracer

------------------
"Flying is the second hardest thing known to man.........the first is landing!"

#561784 - 07/14/01 04:17 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
Tiger Offline
Tiger  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Manteau:
Well guess what? People are moaning there as well - and it's not me or anyone on these boards.

Cheers,
Manteau

Yep, there is no doubt that flight simmers, particularly the so called hardcore variety are their own worst enemy. I've seen it so often that when we get some quality input in a forum, either from developers, fighter pilots, test pilots or members of the aviation industry, they always seem to be driven out by hordes of clueless whiners who think that the number of buttons in their cockpit is some how related to the size of their dicks.

When I first came here and saw the names of some of the posters I was delighted. These were big names in the sim community and industry. I hardly dared to look forward to enjoying some the excellent threads I was sure would follow. Instead what do we get, endless juvenile dribble and pointless bitching. Well guys, I hope you are proud of yourselves. Once again the professionals have left the building and we are left squabbling over shit like this.

Well congratulations! What shall we whine about next guys?

Tig

Tiger
#561785 - 07/14/01 04:19 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Are you saying you stopped the russians from landing on the island? I've managed to hold them to a few sectors but I'd like to know how you stop them completly. Post the saved game, I'd like to see that.

Look back through the history of this thread.

There were several people who had this happen to them.

Cheers,
Manteau

#561786 - 07/14/01 04:25 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Well guys, I hope you are proud of yourselves. Once again the professionals have left the building and we are left squabbling over shit like this.

Well congratulations! What shall we whine about next guys?

Perhaps if you looked back through the history of this forum you would see things a little differently.

Yes, Andy, Steve and Badboy were great helps.

But other people have been as well. I've lost count of the number of times I've explained about weapons not hitting their targets, sound hardware acceleration causing crashes, etc, etc. I'm getting fed up of it - so I explain it.

http://lab6.com/~manteau/typhoon/

I've created s couple of utilities to help people with Typhoon. I didn't have to - I didn't need to - I wanted to - to help people.

What have you done in this forum?

Cheers,
Manteau

#561787 - 07/14/01 04:29 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
Tiger Offline
Tiger  Offline

Quote:
Look back through the history of this thread.

There were several people who had this happen to them.

Cheers,
Manteau

I'd like to know if anyone has actually stopped the Russians from landing? I doubt it, but if some claim they have, let them post the saved game, otherwise it just sounds like it is coming from the south end of a north bound bull.

Tig

Tiger
#561788 - 07/14/01 04:31 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
Tiger Offline
Tiger  Offline

Quote:
But other people have been as well. I've lost count of the number of times I've explained about weapons not hitting their targets, sound hardware acceleration causing crashes, etc, etc. I'm getting fed up of it - so I explain it.

So how much more whining before you leave as well? Or do you enjoy that shit?

Quote:
What have you done in this forum?

I've almost thrown up a few times at the constant whining, does that count?

Seriously though, all I've ever done is to play the game, the problem is I'm enjoying it! But this is the wrong place to come if you are having fun with Typhoon. Anyone who comes here because they are actually enjoying the game will soon have that little problem fixed.

Tig

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 07-14-2001).]

Tiger
#561789 - 07/14/01 04:44 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ehm,

The post was in fun. It was not a bitch fest. It was a series of small, fun little comments about Typhoon. Note that smiley face.

It was not a bitch fest.

Get over it.

Gavin

#561790 - 07/14/01 04:54 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh yes, and I am a dweeb. I took out the keycard, and was remapping my joystick buttons and then... i notce.

Wheelbrake.
The spacebar.

ARRRRRRRRRRGH
hehehehe!!!

Gavin

#561791 - 07/14/01 04:54 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
Tiger Offline
Tiger  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Gavin Bennett:
Ehm,

The post was in fun. It was not a bitch fest. It was a series of small, fun little comments about Typhoon. Note that smiley face.

It was not a bitch fest.

Get over it.

Gavin

Your original post does contain one smiley face, but only relating to one point. In anycase long complaints of stuff that is mostly wrong anyway (your points were shot down in flames) is a bitch fest by definition. Either way, bitch fest or not, you wanna jump on the whiners bandwaggon, at least get some original material.

I'm still laughing at the picture of such a hardcore simmer unable to find the wheel brake and then complaining that the sim is porked because he couldn't stop the aircraft with the airbrake... LOL!!! That's the funniest damn thing I've heard in years! I can just see you running off the end of the runway at 100 knots with a silly look on yer face wishing you were back in Falcon4. Hey, why not stick with Falcon4 until the Typhoon add-on, because I hear they have a Typhoon with trainer wheels for some of the hardcore guys.

Get over that.

Tig

Tiger
#561792 - 07/14/01 05:01 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TigerSo how much more whining before you leave as well? Or do you enjoy that shit?

Enjoy what? Constructive criticism - some of it may have been over the top, but if Rage would just say "no, we're not fixing that" the problem would be solved - I'd give up. But they don't.

Quote:
I've almost thrown up a few times at the constant whining, does that count?

Well, I suppose it does if you want to count that as one of your achievements in life - well done mate, do it again!

Quote:
Seriously though, all I've ever done is to play the game, the problem is I'm enjoying it! But this is the wrong place to come if you are having fun with Typhoon. Anyone who comes here because they are actually enjoying the game will soon have that little problem fixed.

I also enjoyed most aspects of the game, and I've got it back on a clean system now, so I might play it again, despite the lack of throttle support.

It's a fun game, it's got fantastic graphics, but if you're playing the game now, can you say you haven't noticed that the precision-guided munitions (e.g. brimstones) need slightly dodgy launch parameters, e.g. point blank range, to get any hits.

I don't know what day you're on - it started for me on day 2, but I was waiting 1.5 hours with acceleration on for a mission - with 4 pilots - good? no, don't think so.

We haven't heard a thing from Steve or anyone else at Rage about this.

Cheers,
Manteau

[This message has been edited by Manteau (edited 07-14-2001).]

#561793 - 07/14/01 05:18 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
Tiger Offline
Tiger  Offline

Quote:
It's a fun game, it's got fantastic graphics, but if you're playing the game now, can you say you haven't noticed that the precision-guided munitions (e.g. brimstones) need slightly dodgy launch parameters, e.g. point blank range, to get any hits.

Because that's bullshit. I can get good hits with the Brimstones at ranges well outside the gun range of the T-90s. Thanks to one or two of the very rare messages here that are constructive. It seems that most of the guys whining about the Brimstone are hardcore players like Gavin... Give me a break!! Some of the guys here couln't hit a barn door with a shovel full of horse shit! Instead of trying to figure it out, they whine like little babies who dropped their comfort tit out of the buggy. If the hat fits wear it!

Quote:
I don't know what day you're on - it started for me on day 2, but I was waiting 1.5 hours with acceleration on for a mission - with 4 pilots - good? no, don't think so.

I'm on my fourth campaign and I havent seen that. But I'm not a hardcore player, if I lose a couple of pilots I start again... Duhh

Quote:
We haven't heard a thing from Steve or anyone else at Rage about this.
So your comment about it being fixed is unfounded.

I never said any such thing.

Tig

Tiger
#561794 - 07/14/01 05:32 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Because that's bullshit. I can get good hits with the Brimstones at ranges well outside the gun range of the T-90s. Thanks to one or two of the very rare messages here that are constructive. It seems that most of the guys whining about the Brimstone are hardcore players like Gavin... Give me a break!! Some of the guys here couln't hit a barn door with a shovel full of horse shit! Instead of trying to figure it out, they whine like little babies who dropped their comfort tit out of the buggy. If the hat fits wear it!

Instead of figuring it out. Hmmm...

I've posted here previously about 6 different ways I've tried to attack T-90s.

I've just been playing it for the last 25 mins, and this is the best way I can get hits is:

400 feet AGL.
speed 500 knots
Range 2-3 nm (3m is when the T90s start firing).

Any higher heightwise and the brimstones mostly hit the ground in front of the tanks.

Firing directly DOWN on the tanks is marginally better, but it's not the best way of doing things.

Any lower and they do the same (but I'd expect it under the curcumstances).

Flying slower improves hit rate, but going slower than 500 knots within AAA firing range of a Tank!!!?? at low level is madness IMO.

I could (and indeed CAN) live with these. They're not realistic, but...

My problem is that wingmen always miss with them - they fire from around 7 nm and sadly, the brimstones always miss.

Cheers,
Manteau

#561795 - 07/14/01 05:32 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I never said it was "porked." I have never made such a dismissive comment.

The subject thread had a smiley face. And my points were not shot down in flames, and they were not whines. It was merely a bemused commentary.

Nowhere did I say: "Goddamn you Steve Hunt, fix this"

Nowhere did i make a request to fix it. The only request was a tangental "Throttle won't work" I am sorry for spoiling that for you :-)

I am just as guilty of not R-ing T F-ing M as anyone else.

Gavin

#561796 - 07/14/01 05:38 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
Blond_Knight Offline
Blond_Knight  Offline

Hmmm yes I guess we need to do something positive. I am positively pleased that I found someone willing to trade me his copy of Flanker 2.0 for my Typhoon, I hope he enjoys it, EFT sure is the Anti-Flanker.

To reduce negative posts(and unfortunately reduce this forums traffic significantly) perhaps all those unhappy with the game should follow my move to the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

BTW guys have you tried Nascar4? The Wife got it for me a few weeks ago for our 13th Anniv. Having never been interested in racing before I gotta say Im hooked, even had to go get the Ms wheel.

------------------

#561797 - 07/14/01 05:42 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

And I am not constantly whining. That's downright offensive. Go, off your high horse, and read my posts on everything and anything.

I do not whine. I made a series of posts, usually as part of a wider discussion which were constructive, and rarely critical. There are small problems. There are design decisions which I question. And the discussion was civilised...at least what I or Manteau or Sixpack or whomeever might say was civilsed.

But ok, ok, I give up. I bow to your infinite wisdom. I shall fall upon my sword, or whatever else is handy, a butterknife.

But, I shall say this much. Just as Steve Hunt did not come to my apartment with a gun forcing me to play this, no one is forcing you to read this forum.

Gavin

#561798 - 07/14/01 07:39 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
Tiger Offline
Tiger  Offline

Quote:
Hmmm yes I guess we need to do something positive. I am positively pleased that I found someone willing to trade me his copy of Flanker 2.0 for my Typhoon, I hope he enjoys it, EFT sure is the Anti-Flanker.

To reduce negative posts(and unfortunately reduce this forums traffic significantly) perhaps all those unhappy with the game should follow my move to the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

BTW guys have you tried Nascar4? The Wife got it for me a few weeks ago for our 13th Anniv. Having never been interested in racing before I gotta say Im hooked, even had to go get the Ms wheel.

That's great advice, some of you should have done that sooner. I wish all the whiners who don't enjoy Typhoon would just quit crying about it and go play Nascar or whatever... Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Good bye to bad rubbish!

Tig

Tiger
#561799 - 07/14/01 09:28 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
Blond_Knight Offline
Blond_Knight  Offline

Son, just who do you think your talking to?
Come down off your self-righteous horse, the air, apparently is too thin up there for you.

------------------

#561800 - 07/14/01 11:25 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Indeed.

EF2000 2.0 ordered.

Wonder if it's posible to mod the res?

Cheers,
Manteau

#561801 - 07/15/01 02:04 AM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tiger

You only point seems to be that bitching is bad. But you make it by.. err.. bitching.

In fact one might go so far as to say that you are a big fat bitch , the biggest fat bitch in the whole wide world.....

#561802 - 07/15/01 02:16 AM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
How's about we all cool it a little. Knocking the game is one thing, but getting personal is going beyond the boundaries that SimHQ has set out.

Let's keep it civil...OK?

Andy

#561803 - 07/15/01 03:43 AM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
Blond_Knight Offline
Blond_Knight  Offline

Manteau, THE best $10.00 Ive EVER spent was on EF2000 V2.0.
You find a way to mod it you let me know.

------------------

#561804 - 07/15/01 04:37 AM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I apologise Andy.

This thread started out in fun, and I did not make that clear. It was my mistake.

Gavin

#561805 - 07/16/01 04:40 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gavin,

I don't think you need to apologise (although you did and it was an honourable thing to do). There is only one person in this thread that has insulted others, avoided there questions, not been able to see other peoples points of view and has been damn right rude... and it aint you Gavin.

I wont point the individual out, but it's not that hard to identify the culprit (we all know who I mean... and it's not you Andy ).

I'm slightly bemused as I've seen people say lesser things on this forum and get a warning about them.

------------------
\:\)

Hengist.

Hengist's MiG Alley Site.
http://www.hengist.co.uk/MiGAlley

#561806 - 07/16/01 11:05 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gavin,

Was going to post some answer's to your 'More Than 1 Kuznetsov' ideas here but Manteau started a better thread topic specific to Carrier Ops.

The other 'Bad Boy'....

KP

#561807 - 07/17/01 02:09 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Frankly, all I can say is
Better Game = Less Bitching.

Fact of life. Get over it, cheerleaders.

#561808 - 07/18/01 09:00 AM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

There are two types of posters in this forum.
The whiners and the people who whine about the whiners. Tiger your no better than the ones complaining about the game, at least they have something factual to complain about, you just bitch because you want to hear yourself talk.
If someone goes out and spends $40 on a game that doesn't work as advertised the that's a lagit gripe. I can't count how many times I spent 40-50 bucks on a sim/game only to find out it sucked. I would be a little upset myself. I gets old after awhile sinking money into a genre that produces 9 crappy sims out of 10.
Of course I don't own Typhoon and don't plan too. The hardcore people out there should have gotten the hint when it was said "This game will be dumbed down to attract a newer audiance.""" um, hint,hint.
Anyway, I probably shouldn't have posted anything, but I figured I would check to see if anything was fixed at all, But I see it hasn't.
so bitch away. lol

#561809 - 07/18/01 07:35 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
Tiger Offline
Tiger  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 14th_Seawolf:
Of course I don't own Typhoon and don't plan too.

Your loss!

Tig

Tiger
#561810 - 07/28/01 03:55 AM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, Tiger, you almost had me convinced. Fired it up again. Tried to get my undercarraige up before hitting 200 knots but not usually airborne by then. It goes downhill after that. Absolutely no suspension of disbelief. The cockpit graphics are the most plug-ugly I've ever seen; makes me want to go take a shower. Sitting around waiting for the computer to set up another dorkey spy trawler ident mission seems to be longer than a five year sentence for auto theft. Talk about alone in the sky; comms don't help. Graphics are sure pretty but the gameplay is really lame. Cruise missles doing bfm's really get me laughing. No way around it: you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. No hard feelings though. You pays your money & you takes your chances. I realize this is a dying genre but the product must still stand on its own merit. Life is too short to try to take a lot of my time trying to squeeze some life into a sim like this. Tiger, I'm really glad you enjoy this game & I really hope there are a lot of people who agree with you. I really do wish all involved all the success in the world & they go on to make more & better. I wouldn't bet on it.
ScabFace

#561811 - 07/28/01 10:59 AM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
Hitman IF Offline
Hitman IF  Offline

Aberdeen, Scotland
Speaking of the fact that some people have managed to contain the russians to a large degree. I am doing a level 2 campaign where I have basically contained them to about 15 sectors with no Tanks. What puzzles me is that there are several convoys of ships sitting withing 60 miles of the shoreline which I'm sure have never gone ashore. I'm thinking that this is perhaps a small bug in the campaign.
My trouble now is that my new tanks are still on the other side of the island, and the war is stalled!

I'd like to add something about the types of people who post here. And that is people who bitch about others bitching. Which, and don't get me wrong on this, I don't have a problem with - but it would be nice if some people could consider people's comment before hanging them up to dry. Be sure to correct me if I'm wrong.

------------------
---SVBS squad is playing Typhoon now at http://www.svbs.co.uk !---

---SVBS squad is playing Lock On, ADF/TAW and Typhoon now at http://www.svbs.co.uk !---
#561812 - 07/28/01 10:43 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
valleyboy Offline
valleyboy  Offline

Aberdare, Wales, UK
You couldn't get off the ground at 200Kts? I can pull loops at that speed straight off the runway! It gets off the ground at around the 120-130ish Kts for me and keeps on going! I personaly don't play in the cockpit, I would rather play HUD full screen, much better field of view when using cannons. Anyway, the reason that the cockpit is a bit bare is to force you to keep your head up, ohh look at all those twidly things.....oh crap MIG! If you look at the news reals, they say that Russia has some advanced weapons..... in 2015 I would say it is VERY possible for a cruise missile to carry decoys and have basic evasion manouvers programmed into them. Hell if we can now build a system that detects, identifies, priorotises, jams, and dumps chaff/flares all on its own, i.e DASS, I think someone can build something that jinks when it detects a missile launch

No offence meant to anyone.....

------------------
If it aint bust, you haven't played with it enough!

"The engines are overheating, and so am I!!, we either make a move, or blow up!, So which is it to be?!"
----------------------------------
"It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
#561813 - 07/29/01 12:18 AM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

valleyboy:
My comments about trying to get my uc up before I go over 200 knots was a disparaging comment about the arcade fm. I guess I'm not very good at sarcasm. I really don't think those stubby little wings make cruise missles into good dogfighters but whatever it takes to suspend your disbelief is fine. I guess it was Tiger's comment about NASCAR that set me off. NASCAR4 & GPL are harder than most any flight sim I've tried & if you don't think so then try to race the ai at 100% in N4 on any short oval & just stay in the race to completion. Sheez... I really wanted to like Typhoon but it fell flat for me for reasons that other people more descriptive than I have enumerated elsewhere on this board. I do think that boards like this should be open to any & all criticism of the product. I regret not paying attention to the criticism before I bought but I get caught up in the hype just like a lot of other people do. Enough said. Enjoy Typhoon.
ScabFace, out

#561814 - 07/29/01 03:03 AM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by valleyboy:
You couldn't get off the ground at 200Kts? I can pull loops at that speed straight off the runway! It gets off the ground at around the 120-130ish Kts for me and keeps on going! I personaly don't play in the cockpit, I would rather play HUD full screen, much better field of view when using cannons. Anyway, the reason that the cockpit is a bit bare is to force you to keep your head up, ohh look at all those twidly things.....oh crap MIG! If you look at the news reals, they say that Russia has some advanced weapons..... in 2015 I would say it is VERY possible for a cruise missile to carry decoys and have basic evasion manouvers programmed into them. Hell if we can now build a system that detects, identifies, priorotises, jams, and dumps chaff/flares all on its own, i.e DASS, I think someone can build something that jinks when it detects a missile launch

No offence meant to anyone.....

Good points valleyboy, Personally I'm too busy trying to destroy those cruise missiles to really care to much whether they're realistic or not. Typhoon is a sim wrapped around a "what if" scenerio. If i have problems with the game (and I do have some issues with it); that certainly isn't one of them.

#561815 - 08/02/01 07:57 AM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL , yeah I can't sleep at night knowing I passed this up.

Quote:

Your loss!

Tig

[This message has been edited by 14th_Seawolf (edited 08-02-2001).]

#561816 - 08/02/01 11:48 AM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
valleyboy Offline
valleyboy  Offline

Aberdare, Wales, UK
Arcade flight model??? I think not....have you seen a real Typhoon fly? Lets just say that the game isn't far off. It cn pull loops at 180Kts....the pilots have said that it will do manouvers at speeds other aircraft wouldn't get off the ground at. Anyway, I doubt if an RAF and other airforce Typhoon pilots would back the flight model if it were "arcadish", look at other threads, the aircraft is almost spot on, the only thing the pilots said was a bit off was momentum, not thrust, mass, top speed, handling, other than it was a bit off and was as close to the declassified simulator as it was likely to get... If you want a hard game, I suggest you try Superbike 2001 at full realism, 2 wheels are a hell of a lot harder to control than four, trust me, I know

------------------
If it aint bust, you haven't played with it enough!

"The engines are overheating, and so am I!!, we either make a move, or blow up!, So which is it to be?!"
----------------------------------
"It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
#561817 - 08/02/01 05:29 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
Peyton Offline
Peyton  Offline

Austin, Texas
Howdy, y'all!

Well, I like to have fun. I've perused the posts here, and I think I sense a really fun game at the root of it. I deserve a new game to wring out the GeForce 3 in my new system, right? IL-2's not out yet, so...

I'll let you know what I think. I'm one o' them "casual simmers." Not from lack of dedication or mental capacity, but lack of spare time.

The game just shipped a couple weeks ago; y'all are expecting a patch, already?

Cheers and beers,
Peyton

#561818 - 08/02/01 06:04 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, the game's actually been out for quite a while now in Europe.

And yes, it does need a patch. Not now, not tomorrow, but yesterday - when you buy it you'll find out why.

You say you like to have fun? You probably will, but not for long and certainly only once.

Die Hard

#561819 - 08/06/01 09:29 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  
Peyton Offline
Peyton  Offline

Austin, Texas
Howdy, y'all,

Well, I said I'd drop by and give you my impressions.

Works fine in Win2000 SR2. The throttle on the TM Afterburner is DOA, but you knew that.

I couldn't find anything in the graphics options to crank up detail or eye candy. Remember in our last episode, this was my first "modern" game to see what my 1.7 GHz/GeForce 3 machine could do. Yeah, right.

I've only flown the first training mission. Didn't seem very challenging. (Remember, I am *not* a hard core simmer.) The world looked fuzzy and drab. Why not pointy, dangerous-looking mountains like in Falcon? The panel is blank, but for a random assortment of unlabelled green buttons or indicator lights. The flight model is easy, but this *is* a state-of-the-art computer-assisted airplane. I was bored.

There's not any eye-candy that I've seen yet. For me, the immersion was much, much lower than for Janes F-15, Falcon or Flanker 2, the first two on their "easy" settings. Even on "easy", the first two will make you work, and feel like you're accomplishing something.

Just for the sake of fairness, and because I hate wasting money, I'll fly it a bit more. Not a high priority, though. With the graphics horsepower than been available for the last couple of years, I was seriously disappointed. Challenging gameplay would have made up for it. Too bad.

With Flanker 2 at the "hard" end and Crimson Skies at the "easy" end, I was hooked immediately by both. I'll never forget the hundreds of delighted hours spent with Janes F-15, either. Not Typhoon.

Can't wait for Sturmovik!

Peyton

#561820 - 08/06/01 11:41 PM Re: Typhoon "Yeah Right" moments. :-)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

AHem...

Peyton...

Welcome in the club!!

-.-

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Incredible historical ironies
by PanzerMeyer. 04/03/24 01:56 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.